Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What is the hardest shot in golf?

Long bunker shots near the green and you have to fly it over the sand for 10 yards. If you combine that with being short sided to the green, I just keep swearing repeatedly in my head until I'm out of the bunker...

My home course has 2 bunkers like that on par 3 and that's where I've ruined many rounds!

-Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5 (Kai'Li Stiff shaft)

-5 wood: Cobra Aerojet (stiff shaft)

-Hybrids: Cobra F7 stiff shaft set at 19.5 and 23.5 degree

-Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 forged 5 to PW ( Project X LZ 6.5)

-Wedges: Vokey SM7, 50, 54 and 58 degree

-Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red #7 (33 inches)

I play between 70 to 80 rounds per year. Living in Alberta, Canada, our season is shorter and with work, that is all I can get in, but watch out when I retire...

P.S. The picture is from my favorite course so far.

For better players, the toughest shot is the Lowest lofted club off the ground. 3w off the deck for example.  Tour players especially, hit their 2nd shots into par 5s the least often with a low lofted wood.  Trying to hit it high and far they tend to Tilt back and drop kick them where if it were less less lofted, like a driver on a tee, it wouldn't be so hard, because it's on a tee and not off the ground so you have some room for the low point to be before the ball and hit with an upward aoa.  When the ball is on the ground, the low point has to be past the ball otherwise you'll hit it thin or fat . 

Sung Kang comes to mind 

https://fb.watch/mvn_WD0KG-/?mibextid=mXAvQF

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

A low fade/slice since usually a fade/slice goes high since the clubface is open. I have a plus handicap friend that can hit them if needed. Maybe that's why he's a plus handicap player 😁

HDCP: 2.5

1W: Titleist TSi2, 9*, Graphite Design XC6S

3W: Titleist TSr3 15*, Graphite Design XC7S

HY: Titleist TSr2, 18*, Nippon Modus GOS

4-9: Mizuno Pro 918, Nippon Modus 3 105S

PW: Titleist Vokey SM9, F46-10

GW: Titleist Vokey SM9, F50-12

SW: Mizuno T22, 54-8

LW: Mizuno T22, 60-6

P: LAB DF2.1, 33", 79.5* Lie Angle

Reading the responses to this thread is very interesting. First, it just emphasizes that golf is hard! Second, every golfer is unique. Strengths and weaknesses are not one size fits all. What some list as a hard shot others might be able to execute on demand. Lastly, much of golf is mental. If the shot was in your head enough to get mentioned here, then it probably gives you anxiety on the course. Anxiety leads to doubt and doubt leads to poor execution. Maybe we should instead embrace these shots. Approach them as opportunity not as hole, round or score killers. Thoughts? 

Play like a champion today!

1 hour ago, Javs said:

Reading the responses to this thread is very interesting. First, it just emphasizes that golf is hard! Second, every golfer is unique. Strengths and weaknesses are not one size fits all. What some list as a hard shot others might be able to execute on demand. Lastly, much of golf is mental. If the shot was in your head enough to get mentioned here, then it probably gives you anxiety on the course. Anxiety leads to doubt and doubt leads to poor execution. Maybe we should instead embrace these shots. Approach them as opportunity not as hole, round or score killers. Thoughts? 

So true!  As I see from your info, that you can play the game.  Like you, I used to be able to play the game as well.  It seems years ago that the hardest shots were the ones I pulled off the best and the mid fairway easy shots were the ones that concentration sometimes lacked.  Confidence is the difference between occasionally making that 35 footer rather than 3-putting.  Your comments are well taken, and should be listened to by all.

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

Well, when you get older, the hardest shot is the first one off of the practice tee at 8AM in the morning.  Everything hurts and tight even though you went through your stretching routine.

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

1 hour ago, RwsGolf1 said:

So true!  As I see from your info, that you can play the game.  Like you, I used to be able to play the game as well.  It seems years ago that the hardest shots were the ones I pulled off the best and the mid fairway easy shots were the ones that concentration sometimes lacked.  Confidence is the difference between occasionally making that 35 footer rather than 3-putting.  Your comments are well taken, and should be listened to by all.

Thanks and fully agree with you!

Play like a champion today!

I would say a 50 yard bunker shot, or a longer than usual bunker shot, where you have to carry it, no chunk and roll stuff

Matt Dura

Francis Marion University Hall of Fame 2018

default_titelist-small.jpg.035c687f1ee4f222f65826e0f2ccf716.jpg TS4 9.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g Low spin driver; PRO V1X

default_taylormade-small.jpg.e5271abefda63fc90c515812858df654.jpg M3 17*HL turned down to 15*, Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Series 65 Stiff

Ben Hogan 17* & 21* EDGE CFT Hybrids

default_ping-small.jpg.4f6644e7b181538ad4356fa5baa9ab06.jpg i200 blue dot, KBS Tour 120 S 4i-PW; Glide 58*/10

default_cleveland-small.jpg.c369c88345deb6bf5d6da562e36c46e9.jpg 50* RTX 588; 54* CG10

LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg.c85827f16c4e90eabef5b35daa9e8b47.jpg APA Model 1

ODIN.jpg.36f5f3d3738de8051e6e80e0aec7b2d2.jpg X1

The hardest shot in golf is the approach shot to the green.  The greens keeper working on the green looked up and saw you waiting to hit.  He moves to the edge of the green and waves you on.  You’re thinking I’ve got this nailed.  It’s only 120 yards to the green center!   How can I miss?  Well that great home made swing of yours just made a 70 yard worm burner!   

:callaway-small:Driver, Callaway, 13.5 degrees, Bassara Lite shaft

Fairway Wood - Callaway Great Big Bertha 5 Wood Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 -  Pured

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX-923 Fli Hi Hybrids, Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 - Pured

Irons - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL Irons, Shaft KBS Tour - 60g, Pured

Putter - Odysey, Two Ball, Center Hosel, Mallet

Ball - MaxFli Tour X

Bag - Vessel, U.S. Coast Guard design for the Veteran Golf Asoc.

Cart - Sun Mountain

A stinger, or in my case anything that isn’t a high flyer. I just want to hit one lower 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

It's those tee shots on the "mental" holes (i.e. the ones with trees and gully on the right and trees and OB on the left). There is a wide open fairway, but for some reason the minute you step up to the ball gravity starts mentally pulling you left or right.  Now granted, after a tournament I can walk through that gully on my way home from a run and find 20 balls in 20 minutes 🙂   Here is to hitting them straight this weekend.

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

For me it’s a 15-30yrd wet, thin, tight lie with a forced carry(not puttable). I hate these shots. Like chipping off of wet dirt/mud with a thin layer of grass on top.

:callaway-small:Epic Max LS 9* ACCRA TZ6

:callaway-small:Epic Speed 3w ACCRA FX

:cobra-small:3H ACCRA FX

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 4-pw Aerotech 

:vokey-small:50,55,60 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 11.5 putter

:titelist-small: prov1

I second the tight lie to a tucked pin over a bunker.

The other is when I am waiting to hit into a par 5 in two with a fairway wood. When the group ahead finally clears the green, It’s a worm burner every time that ends up in the worst spot possible. Still can’t get myself to just lay up.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

60-75 yard bunker shot.. hate everything about..

Brock C Davison 

Things To Know :

• I hit my 7-iron like John Daly hits the 3
  • Brands I Stand By: Peter Millar, Taylormade, PING, Seamus, and of course Titleist 
  • Favorite Golfer Of All Time: Payne Stewart & Freddy "Boom Boom

The first tee at:

• The Old Course- A bad shot makes you feel unworthy to play at the home of golf. My first time there I almost brained a four ball walking up 18.
  • Bethpage Black - 430 yd. dogleg right, narrow fairway that requires at least 260 yards to clear the dogleg. Right and you in the rough and in jail behind trees, go left and your approach is 210, to a small green, hitting out of 4" rough. If you walk away with a bogey you are quite happy. 
  • Riviera Country Club - They frigging announce you, over the PA system, as you are walking up to the box. "now on the first Mr. Smith, the tee is yours"

All are great for serious pucker!

Edited by Roomspimp

Steven "Marty" Grant

Downhill down slope below the feet to a raised green.  Any yardage but the 40 to 50 yards tweener kills me

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Lob shot over a deep bunker to a down hill short sided flag.  Hmmmmmm.  🤬

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE