Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

Do Graphite shafts help elbow and wrist pain?

most people that switch to graphite for that reason seem to believe it helps

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

most people that switch to graphite for that reason seem to believe it helps

... In my case there was no "seem to believe it helps" but graphite eliminated the very painful elbow tendonitis that had me take a 3 month lay off giving my elbow time to heal. When I started playing again I had graphite in my irons and the tendonitis never returned. I did make the mistake of playing my MIM Tours with Nippon 950GH steel irons because that was a stock option and how they wanted them reviewed. All good for a little over a month and maybe 20 rounds before my elbow starting hurting again. Tendonitis can be a funny thing as it doesn't seem to start slowly giving you some warning but goes from 0 to 5 overnight. I re-shafted with Steelfibers and the pain disappeared. I am far from alone. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r
                  :cobra-small:    King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... In my case there was no "seem to believe it helps" but graphite eliminated the very painful elbow tendonitis that had me take a 3 month lay off giving my elbow time to heal. When I started playing again I had graphite in my irons and the tendonitis never returned. I did make the mistake of playing my MIM Tours with Nippon 950GH steel irons because that was a stock option and how they wanted them reviewed. All good for a little over a month and maybe 20 rounds before my elbow starting hurting again. Tendonitis can be a funny thing as it doesn't seem to start slowly giving you some warning but goes from 0 to 5 overnight. I re-shafted with Steelfibers and the pain disappeared. I am far from alone. 

Trying to hedge my bets.  Don't want someone coming on and blasting me that graphite didn't do that for them.   Pretty much everything that goes to graphite thinks they are better.   I don't think I will go back to steel. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Trying to hedge my bets.  Don't want someone coming on and blasting me that graphite didn't do that for them.   Pretty much everything that goes to graphite thinks they are better.   I don't think I will go back to steel. 

... I hear ya and I have had that happen on another forum. 

I switched to graphite in my irons and wedges last fall and will never go back.  I had been fighting tendonitis in my left arm for 3 months at that point and within 2 weeks of switching I was basically pain-free. I couldn't believe it made that much of a difference in such a short time, but I am a believer.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I've left questions for Tony after his Q&As that happen to involve graphite shafts, but I guess it wasn't of sufficient relevance to be included in other Q&As. I asked whether there was still a (supposed) joint benefit of going graphite as the shafts become more stable as indicated by the fact that so many are now more accurate providing less dispersion than their steel counterparts. In my addled mind, if graphite is more accurate because they've become more stable, could they also still be less jarring on your joints? I literally don't know and would love to see some sort of test to demonstrate either way.

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54.12D & 58.08M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

My 2024 Titleist SM10 Wedge Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

All makes sense, I had a really tough time switching to graphite as I swing pretty hard and always tell people steel is just better. 
I switched to LA Golf graphite and could not be happier.  Not only has it helped with my golf elbow; but I really enjoy swinging them in my long irons as those tend to be tough to hit when you’re not all warmed up. I even tried to switch back to steel twice to blame the graphite. But after a few head to head sessions with my club and steel a few times I realized it was just my swing 🙂 Only thing is I had to go back to steel with my wedges. The new Fuji graphite are pretty awesome as well btw.

4 minutes ago, DaddyDV said:

But after a few head to head sessions with my club and steel a few times I realized it was just my swing 🙂

Graphite in my irons. Just easier on my joints and I’m not afraid to swing fast and hard because there no vibrations from a mishit    I still like steel in my wedges and putter for feedback   Most times I don’t go all out with those clubs 

Edited by Haro
On 8/24/2023 at 5:26 PM, ottawap said:

Thanks, I guess that's good news. The idea of giving up my nippons is equally painful though. 

Welcome to the forum. This is "da" place to ask those questions. Most of the time you'll receive sincere info based on experience. You did get some of the "best of the best" responses thus far.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet