Mizuno JPX 923 Tour Vs. Mizuno Pro 223

Cshane12

Well, since my full bag of sticks were stolen a week ago, I'm back on the market. I had the Mizuno Pro 223 for about 2 months before they were taken. I'd be happy to just replace them, but when I went into the shop today the fitter put me on the Mizuno shaft optimizer with the JPX 923 tour head. I hit it good. Like, real good. One of the shaft optimizer's top picks was the same as I had in the MP223 (NS Pro 105R). I felt like I had picked up some distance with the MP223. The 923 tour did not seem like it went as far as I remember of the 223. I've still not been able to hit the two models with the same shaft side by side. I'm hoping to pick your brains and get some feedback on your knowledge and experiences with the two. I know the 223 has stronger lofts than the JPX 923 but is the 223 also meant to be more forgiving? I really like the JPX 923 but fear I can't afford to lose the distance.

Driver: Cobra AeroJet 9* @ 7.5* PX Hazardous Black 5.5

3 wood: Titleist 915f @ 14.25* MCA Diamana Blue R

Hybrids: Callaway Apex 17* and 21* Srixon ZX 23* driving iron

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 105R

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 52/10, 56/14, 60/14 Nippon 115

Putter: EVNROLL ER 2.2

Ball: Wilson Triad

2 hours ago, Cshane12 said:

Well, since my full bag of sticks were stolen a week ago, I'm back on the market. I had the Mizuno Pro 223 for about 2 months before they were taken. I'd be happy to just replace them, but when I went into the shop today the fitter put me on the Mizuno shaft optimizer with the JPX 923 tour head. I hit it good. Like, real good. One of the shaft optimizer's top picks was the same as I had in the MP223 (NS Pro 105R). I felt like I had picked up some distance with the MP223. The 923 tour did not seem like it went as far as I remember of the 223. I've still not been able to hit the two models with the same shaft side by side. I'm hoping to pick your brains and get some feedback on your knowledge and experiences with the two. I know the 223 has stronger lofts than the JPX 923 but is the 223 also meant to be more forgiving? I really like the JPX 923 but fear I can't afford to lose the distance.

So sorry about your clubs. That just sucks.

As for the two, Mizuno I do believe does have some new irons coming out soon I believe so if you are set on Mizuno and can I would say hold off a little bit. 

The best thing you can do is hit them side by side. If you really like the jpx and want a little added distance you can always order then with stronger lofts too. Should help resolve that issue a bit.

I haven't hit those in a while and never put them side by side. I also really live my T-Series so would be hard pressed to change or go away from them.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 hours ago, Cshane12 said:

The 224's will be out shortly, you may want to hold out to compare them to the 923's.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

8 hours ago, Cshane12 said:

I agree that it might be worth holding off until the new Pro series comes out next year, then hit them side by side.

If you want to grab something different now, then you might look at the JPX923 Forged. It's got stronger lofts than the Tour, but should still provide a nice soft feel like the Tour but with the added distance and probably a bit more forgiveness.

Another option is the blend the Tour and Forged. At the bottom of this page is a nifty little blending tool to show what heads should be bent by how many degrees. https://mizunogolf.com/us/golf-clubs/jpx923-series/jpx923-forged/

It's up to you if you can wait for the new stuff that will likely show up in Jan/Feb.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

I am considering selling my 223’s if there is anyone interested. 1.5 seasons, Modus 115 X +0.5” and a newer set of Lamkin sonar wrap grips. Have to think about price but if anyone is actively looking, send me a PM

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I do like the idea of the new MP 242. An overseas member posted some pics and they look really nice. My problem with waiting for them to hit the market in the states is that I have an annual money tournament coming up early November. I’d like to not be questioning my iron set up, so I’m in a rush. Plus I don’t think I’ll have regrets in the next few years for not having the most recent set. I’m usually a few generations behind anyhow (because I’m usually frugal). The more I think about it the closer I am to rebuying the makeup of the stolen set.

Driver: Cobra AeroJet 9* @ 7.5* PX Hazardous Black 5.5

3 wood: Titleist 915f @ 14.25* MCA Diamana Blue R

Hybrids: Callaway Apex 17* and 21* Srixon ZX 23* driving iron

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 105R

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 52/10, 56/14, 60/14 Nippon 115

Putter: EVNROLL ER 2.2

Ball: Wilson Triad

When I got fitted for my 223s, the 921 was the comparison iron in the JPX line.  I absolutely hated every iteration of the JPX line compared to the MP 223.  I've revitalized mine by swapping the Nippon 1150gh (stiff) shafts for Mitsubishi MMT 125TX shafts in my 4-PW.   From the couple of reviews I've seen so far, the 224 is going to be a significant upgrade to the 223, which is already a great iron.  If you can find something to hold you over until January, those will become available.

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2023 at 7:24 AM, Shrek74 said:

I agree that it might be worth holding off until the new Pro series comes out next year, then hit them side by side.

If you want to grab something different now, then you might look at the JPX923 Forged. It's got stronger lofts than the Tour, but should still provide a nice soft feel like the Tour but with the added distance and probably a bit more forgiveness.

Another option is the blend the Tour and Forged. At the bottom of this page is a nifty little blending tool to show what heads should be bent by how many degrees. https://mizunogolf.com/us/golf-clubs/jpx923-series/jpx923-forged/

It's up to you if you can wait for the new stuff that will likely show up in Jan/Feb.

The 923 Forged is a game improvement iron, same as the 223. The Tours are not hard to hit and will give you accuracy and shot making capabilities that the Forged only dreams about. Buy the Tours if you ever broke 80.

The 923 Forged is a game improvement iron, same as the 223. The Tours are not hard to hit and will give you accuracy and shot making capabilities that the Forged only dreams about. Buy the Tours if you ever broke 80.
923 Hot Metal HL is Super Game Improvement.
923 Hot Metal is Game Improvement.
923 Hot Metal Pro & Forged are Player's Distance.
923 Hot Metal Tour are Player's irons.
Pro 221 is a Player's Blade.
Pro 223 is a Player's Cavity Back.
Pro 225 are Player's Distance.
If you want to be technical about it.
923 Forged and 223 are plenty workable if you are capable. Neither are Game Improvement.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

• 7 months later...

This might be a stupid question and maybe it comes down to personal preference but can someone help me with why anyone (unless they’re on tour) would go anything less forgiving than say the 923 forged? 
I used to have the T zoids and absolutely loved them. Now Hogan Apex edge but want to get back to Mizuno. I’ve played off about 1 or 2 for 25 years and I don’t get it…. The game is so hard and the vast majority of great golfers I’ve played with I always think they could do with more forgiveness rather than worrying about workability etc.

Do more forgiving irons sacrifice much other than feel / workability (which let’s be honest is lovely on the good days but not really that useful for scoring most days)? Like are they tougher to flight or spin etc?

Edited by Cavity back
Misspelled word

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Cavity Back - I bought new irons about 8 months ago, TM p770s. Overall pretty happy with the purchase because I finally got properly fitted for shafts, length, lie angles, angle of descent, etc. However, I am not a scratch golfer, hdcp 10-15, and feel like myself and 90% of golfers out there would benefit more from more forgiving irons. I feel like I give up more than is necessary with my mis-hits. After all, being honest with myself, I do not have the skills to be working subtle fades or draws into a corner of the green to get 5 feet closer to the pin. I am just trying to hit a solid straight shot somewhere toward the center of the green, or close enough to the green to give myself a statistical chance at getting up and down in two for par. So, I do wonder if I would have been better to go with something more like the regular Mizuno 923s or 923 pros. I had actually looked at those versions of the 923s initially as my first choices, but moved away from them because they were just a little more bulky and off-set than what is pleasing to my eye. But I wonder if my game would have benefited more if I had put more importance on the forgiveness factor instead.

Chris F.

11 Handicap 

Nike Covert 2.0 irons

Titleist TS Driver, woods, hybrids 

Wilson Infinite putter 

On 8/10/2024 at 4:44 AM, Cavity back said:

This might be a stupid question and maybe it comes down to personal preference but can someone help me with why anyone (unless they’re on tour) would go anything less forgiving than say the 923 forged? 
I used to have the T zoids and absolutely loved them. Now Hogan Apex edge but want to get back to Mizuno. I’ve played off about 1 or 2 for 25 years and I don’t get it…. The game is so hard and the vast majority of great golfers I’ve played with I always think they could do with more forgiveness rather than worrying about workability etc.

Do more forgiving irons sacrifice much other than feel / workability (which let’s be honest is lovely on the good days but not really that useful for scoring most days)? Like are they tougher to flight or spin etc?

I believe golf equipment companies, fitters, some consumers etc... are mistaken to believe a larger club head is more 'forgiving'. For many players of all skill levels, from beginner to Tour pro,  a larger head size is harder to consistently square at impact than is a smaller head size, especially off sloped, grassy, or other less than ideal lies.