Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Do you incorporate any specific fitness routines to enhance your golf performance?

I spend 1.5-2 hours in the gym doing powerlifting workouts with bodybuilding style accessories.

I do general mobility work for shoulders, hips and t spine.

These are for general health as well as my other hobby.

There are multiple ways to train to get stronger, but doing a squat movement (barbell squat, hack squat,  leg press, goblet squat) a pressing movement (flat bench, incline bench, overhead press) and a hinge movement (deadlift, deadlift variation should be included in all resistance training. Strength is going to come from doing reps in the 3-6 range with a progressive overload. But adding in higher rep stuff for accessories is going to help as well. 

For mobility work things like the McGill big 3 and the worlds greatest stretch 

for hips tactical frog, hip airplanes, hip flexor stretch and clam shells

For shoulders wall walk, wall angles, car cow, scapular car

for t spine use a foam roller for t spine stretch, the worlds greatest stretch, foam roll the lats

Have worked on two different golf routines, when I show up at the course do a mobility routine of:

• squat (try to get butt below knees) into back stretch move,  bend at hips and go forward to touch ground -move side to side,  shoulder openers, and warrior 2 (yoga) move on both sides.  This gets hips, shoulders, and back open.  Note that if late to course have found this is more important than hitting a few balls.

Then 3 times a week in gym: 

• squats, arms work, forearms work, legs work, shoulders work. Specific to golf,  do a dumbbell swing, single arm shoulder press from kneeling (both sides) and kneeling low to high with dumbbell (both sides).      

This I believe, also with solid technique, is the only way I can keep swinging at plus 110 mph at my age. 

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

Do 12-ounce curls count?  When I really want to feel the burn, I go with the 16-ounce cans.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

• 4 months later...

For strength and flexibility, I’m all about a mix of compound lifts and mobility work. I’ve had great results with deadlifts and squats for strength, and adding yoga or dynamic stretching has really helped with flexibility.A while back, I started incorporating resistance bands into my workouts and saw a noticeable improvement in my range of motion and overall strength. I also found some great tips and supplements on https://fitnflexed.com, which helped me optimize my routine even more. Just remember, consistency is key, and balancing strength training with flexibility work has been a game-changer for me.

Edited by gretahucat

I’m a Peloton user. So my general routine for a week is three days of cardio and three days of strength training and core 

In terms of specifics for golf. There is a 20 min golf specific stretch program that I do three/four times a week alternating with general 20 min stretching routine. There is also a 10 min golf stretch/warmup routine I use before rounds that I like a lot. These golf specific programs focus a lot on disassociating upper and lower body rotation.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried out a few different things this year. I started the year using the Fit for Golf program. I'm currently on a promotional monthly subscription to Cody Westcott's Lift Heavy, Swing Fast. I've really liked both for a few reasons:

1. There's an overall sense of direction to the programs. You're building on things week to week.
  2. They're really helpful for structuring and programming an individual workout and typically have a flow of mobility work, athletic explosiveness, heavy lifting and then lighter muscle development.
  3. It was helpful for me to build a catalog of exercises in my brain. What can I do with equipment I have? What exercises work different parts of the muscle? What are variations to the typical big 5 movements?

Even if you don't subscribe long-term, I think there's some benefit to doing so for a short period to give some initial coaching. FFG had a pretty decent warm-up / mobility routine that takes about 10-15 minutes that I still use. When I wasn't on a program, I actually had so much fun doing kettlebell exercises, which was a big deal building the habit. I think I watched this video by Justin James that got me started with the kettlebell. Also, I follow @joellerblades on Instagram, who frequently posts 10-15 minute kettlebell routines that I used regularly. I found Cody Westcott on Instagram too, @codywestcottgolf.

• 1 month later...

I started adding some strength training to my routine last year to help with my golf game, and it’s made a noticeable difference. Focused on core exercises and flexibility work, which really helped with my swing stability and power. I also tried a few things from https://goliathsteroids.com/ — steroids for sale there that gave me a bit more stamina on the course. It's been great because I’m not as tired after a round, and my shots feel more controlled. Mixing up workouts with some specific golf-focused exercises has definitely been worth it.

Edited by Thasyomster