Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New Driver in 2024 - Recommendations - 90MPH Driver Swing Speed

BillL

Really appreciate getting some input from this group.  My current gamer is a TaylorMade Stealth 1 - bought in 2019 after getting fit at Club Champion.  Very pricey Oban shaft in it - 55 grams.  Was talking with my golf instructor and we agreed it was time to start looking at a new one.  My swing speed is down from 98-100MPH when I was 58 to to 90'ishMPH now that I'm sneaking up on 63.  

Narrowing down options to Ping, TaylorMade, Callaway and maybe PXG.  

Any recommendations from anyone who has made the switch this year - particularly with similar swing speed? 

Anyone been fit lately for one of the this year's drivers w/ similar swing speed? 

Planning a trip to Ireland next summer, so want a year or so to fine tune the driver and work on my game, so figured start with driver and potentially look at new irons as well.  

Appreciate any thoughts of feedback.  

Thanks Forum Folks

Bill 

I live in NC, golf as often as possible, play the Amateur Players Tour when I can 

9 minutes ago, BillL said:

Really appreciate getting some input from this group.  My current gamer is a TaylorMade Stealth 1 - bought in 2019 after getting fit at Club Champion.  Very pricey Oban shaft in it - 55 grams.  Was talking with my golf instructor and we agreed it was time to start looking at a new one.  My swing speed is down from 98-100MPH when I was 58 to to 90'ishMPH now that I'm sneaking up on 63.  

Any recommendations from anyone who has made the switch this year - particularly with similar swing speed? 

Anyone been fit lately for one of the this year's drivers w/ similar swing speed? 

Planning a trip to Ireland next summer, so want a year or so to fine tune the driver and work on my game, so figured start with driver and potentially look at new irons as well.  

Thanks Forum Folks

Bill 

The only one I can speak of trying is the PXG Black Ops. I have exactly the same swing speed with driver as you (c. 90mph) and struggled to get the thing airborne and when I did it practically fell out of the sky. I generate low spin with driver, but definitely got the impression that PXG's latest offering is not for our swing speed demographic. Golf.com's Fully Equipped podcast confirmed that you ideally need 100mph swing speed to get the most out of that head (but those who do will love it!). 
Be sure to post what you've ended up getting 👌

Bag full of mostly PING, apart from Cleveland CBX wedges..I need all the help I can get! 

6 minutes ago, BillL said:

Thanks Forum Folks

Bill 

Bill, Stealth 1 in 2019? I had a fitting at CC in 2021 and the recommendation was a TM SIM 2 Max with an Oban Devotion shaft (almost $900). I chose to buy SIM 2 with a stock AIrspeeder shaft online for a lot less and has worked very well for me. I got a big distance increase over my Ping 410 but never really cared for the sound. Last year I opted for Stealth 2 and got the stock Speeder NX shaft and love the head. My instructor (who also sells Ping) tried to convince me to buy a 430 this year. That driver just didn't work, I also had a fitting at PGASS and tried lots of heads, but nothing compared to the Stealth 2. And then most recently a TM fitting, see link below. My recommendation is to go to an independent fitter that has lots of different fitting carts and see what works best for you. FYI, I'm not a big fan of CC since I don't have unlimited golfing funds. 

My TaylorMade Driver and Wood Fitting Experience - Golf Clubs - MyGolfSpy Forum

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

tony@CIC good catch - meant Sim1 not Stealth 🙂 Thanks I was thinking of going back to Club Champion but figure I can try Ping at the fitting day at my club and then maybe hit Golf Galaxy for Callaway and TaylorMade or just work w/ the pro at my club as they have a number of shafts.  I think at my swing speed a stock shaft will be just fine.  

Thanks again for calling out my mistake on the driver so politely 🙂

I live in NC, golf as often as possible, play the Amateur Players Tour when I can 

Have 91 mph swing speed. 78yrs old. Just purchased PXG Black Ops reg. Riptide CB-40gm 5.0 shaft. Works great. Distance 220/230 off the tee and straight. And if your a vet you get a heck of a deal. Give it a try.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

Wow - 91MPH swing speed at 78 - impressive sir.  Unfortunately not a vet.  May have to give PXG fitting a shot. Thanks 

All drivers are good drivers, it’s about finding the right head design for your swing and then loft followed by the rights shaft that matches with your swing and the head.

swing speed plays very little into the decision of what driver or club to play and same with handicap. There were several PGA tour pros using the Mac version of Pings driver inducing one of the fastest on tour in Cam Champ.

Talk to you instructor and have him go with you to a fitting and find what works best for you and what he’s having you work on

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Cobra LTDX are on sale now for 249, from the testing I have seen they still hold their own against all the new drivers. I am swinging the LS at 94-99mph. Works well for me. Seeing 235 carry 250 roll out. Brother swinging 108, same thing big gains over his PXG Gen 4. Just a thought, its been noted as a unicorn driver in a review or two, saves you 250 dollars, you could buy 2 for price of one and still have a round of golf in your pocket.  

LTDx driver and 7 wood

Pxg 0211 3 wood, 5wood, irons

Vokey 56 m grind

Taylor made 7 putter

5 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

My swing speed is a bit less than yours, 82 to 85 on most.   Currently, I'm testing the Qi10, G430 10K Max, Callaway Ai Smoke Max and have the Cobra Darkspeed X on the way. 

Bring what you don’t like to Kingsmill for me.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 3/4/2024 at 8:30 AM, BillL said:

Thanks Forum Folks

Bill 

Bill, recently moved from PXG 0311 irons to New Level irons. They’re longer for me by 10-15 yards and for @Derek Eskam by more. They’re having a sale on their 623CBs and MBs. Might want to take a look. Next, I hit the clubs in the review and then hit the TSR4. By far, TSR4 beat the Ping and TaylorMade. I did like the Callaway and Cobra, but for me was more consistent with the TSR. I hit the Steadfast Jupiter shaft well, but for the TSR, I hit the tensi black 65 stiff just as well. If I were to rank the clubs, TSR is first, Callaway second, and Cobra 3rd. I’d be comfortable with those three drivers in the correct shaft.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686