What Golf Technology Do You Use On The Course?

Hello All,

I use Precision Pro NX10 Slope laser rangefinder, a Voice Caddie VC4 for quick center of green distance and the Arccos Smart Sensors. I have found all are quite accurate and very helpful. I prefer lasers for pin distance, hazard (sorry penalty area) distance and layup distance, as a laser is more accurate than gps and also quicker. I also occasionally use the Arccos Caddie in their app (it is very useful for course management).

Good golf to all and hit them where you think you are aiming! 

Lov'in the game!

Driver: Ping RH G430 10K Max

Fairway: EZ3, Ping RH G430 5W

Hybrids: GX-7 21*, Ping RH G430 #4

Irons: Taylormade Graphite RH P-790 5-PW, AW

Wedges: Titleist BV SM6 F Grind 50*, 56*

Putter: Ping Scottsdale

Use Arccos

Arccos Caddie and sensors with Link for shot tracking.  Nikon Coolshot Stabilized range finder.  I have a Garmin G80 that I rarely use, but find the Arccos Caddie is good enough of a GPS.  I like to see the hole layout, distances to hazards off the tee.  After thank just range finder to the flag.

Edited by dbdors

Woods:  :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15* (set to 17*), Stealth 2, 22*, both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 4H, Xcaliber RTI75 S  

Irons: :Takomo: IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 Stand Bag / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

image.png

While on the course I use my Garmin vivo for mostly keeping my score and a Bushnell range finder for my yardage. The range has no slope help. 

Some mentioned they needed a app for golf on the course and a good one would be grint.The app tracks all sorts of stats of your game and you can compete against your friends and it will give you a team or group leader.

Predominantly I use a Bushnell Phantom 2 range finder that sits in the holder on my Zip Navigator. I have an Eagle Eye range finder that I use inside of 135 yards as my wedges -full swing and partial swings- have very specific distances. Plus my home course, well the designer had a very annoying habit of hiding the green behind and below the lip of a large bunker. So if the Phantom says the middle of the green is 54 yards away, and the Eagle Eye says the flag is 49 yards away, and I know the green slopes away from me I need to drop that ball as close to the lip of the bunker as possible. If the -I call them spyglass- tells me the lip of the bunker is 43 yards away I know the only club I can use is my 58 degree. 

I used to use Arccos. It was fun to review the round and it gave me insight to where I needed to work. But there are 3 fundamental flaws in that system

1. The sensors wear out the ends of the grips, loosen and eventually fall out. The one for my seven iron I hope is rolling around the bottom of my bag. You can glue them in place but if you replace the grip that glue is a real pain.

2. For me the system only catches about 90% of the shots even when using the Link. Plus the app gets very confused if you start on a hole other than 1 or 10. It will not cycle past 18. You must manually advance it to each hole once you pass hole 18. If you start on hole 17 the app is a huge time waister.

3. Lastly Arccos just nickel and dimes you to death. The sensors last only about 2 years if you don't golf much. Then it is another 15 bucks to replace the dead or lost sensor. The subscription fees keep inching up, and now if you want their super Link pickup that is another 200 plus dollars. So I just don't use it any longer. 

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

25 minutes ago, Hacker60521 said:

When I retired, the first thing I got rid of was my Apple Watch. My “daily wear” watch is now my Omega Speedmaster because I think analog watches are just more elegant and my phone keeps me connected more than I need - Haha. When I’m on the course I wear a ShotScope X5.

I can definitely understand being too connected. I have most notifications turned off on the watch- I think I only allow two apps to send notifications to the watch. My phone is generally on silent because it's a constant distraction. 

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

I am pretty basic on the course.  Yardage is primarily obtained using handheld GPS and I will occasionally use my rangefinder.    F/M/B works perfectly well for me since I understand dispersion patterns and use DECADE principles for target selection so I don’t  ned exact distances.   At my level of golf; 7 handicap, being in the correct 1/3 of the green is  perfectly acceptable and will enable me to achieve the best possible scores.

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, EnderinAZ said:

Predominantly I use a Bushnell Phantom 2 range finder that sits in the holder on my Zip Navigator. I have an Eagle Eye range finder that I use inside of 135 yards as my wedges -full swing and partial swings- have very specific distances. Plus my home course, well the designer had a very annoying habit of hiding the green behind and below the lip of a large bunker. So if the Phantom says the middle of the green is 54 yards away, and the Eagle Eye says the flag is 49 yards away, and I know the green slopes away from me I need to drop that ball as close to the lip of the bunker as possible. If the -I call them spyglass- tells me the lip of the bunker is 43 yards away I know the only club I can use is my 58 degree. 

I used to use Arccos. It was fun to review the round and it gave me insight to where I needed to work. But there are 3 fundamental flaws in that system

1. The sensors wear out the ends of the grips, loosen and eventually fall out. The one for my seven iron I hope is rolling around the bottom of my bag. You can glue them in place but if you replace the grip that glue is a real pain.

2. For me the system only catches about 90% of the shots even when using the Link. Plus the app gets very confused if you start on a hole other than 1 or 10. It will not cycle past 18. You must manually advance it to each hole once you pass hole 18. If you start on hole 17 the app is a huge time waister.

3. Lastly Arccos just nickel and dimes you to death. The sensors last only about 2 years if you don't golf much. Then it is another 15 bucks to replace the dead or lost sensor. The subscription fees keep inching up, and now if you want their super Link pickup that is another 200 plus dollars. So I just don't use it any longer. 

Lov'in the game!

Use Arccos

Just now, golfr007 said:

I have had no issues with my Arccos units. Bought the system in April 2021 and have not replaced any sensors yet. They just started a new program in Jan that gives members 4 free sensors each year. I got my 4 free ones just in case any I have fail. I like the stats to review my true distances and accuracy.

Lov'in the game!

Use Arccos

14 minutes ago, VernL4 said:

I can definitely understand being too connected. I have most notifications turned off on the watch- I think I only allow two apps to send notifications to the watch. My phone is generally on silent because it's a constant distraction. 

💯 We’re all falling into the habit of creating an urgency of reacting to things rather than controlling the tempo. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

I always use 2 devices.  First I check the exact pin with my Bushnell rangefinder then I go to my sky caddie and get front , back , middle.  Also look at distances to penalty area , bunkers , etc on my sky caddie.  So important to me to get front green yardage and back green yardage in club selection . 

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

I feel like I am getting a bit behind the curve in this department but I have been using the Golf Logix app on my phone to track shots, suggest club selections, and track scores.  It's been fine for all of these years but I am starting to look around to see if something better is out there.  

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke Max-D 9 degree

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On the course, I use a range finder and Arccos. I use Arccos almost exclusively to measure performance and keep track of my distances, so I don’t fall in love with that pure shot downwind and let it become my new carry distance. If I’m playing a course I don’t know or a blind shot, I would use it to check out the layout and confirm a landing spot. Most of the time I’m using my range finder to get distances to pins and hazards. I prefer using the range finder because I can see where the pin is and if there are any green features to consider in shot selection (false fronts, back stops, tiers, etc.).

• Driver Cobra Radspeed 10.5. Stiff HZRDS Smoke Yellow
  • 3W Cabra F8+ 14.5
  • 5W Cobra F8+ 17.5
  • Irons TM RocketBladez 4i-P
  • Wedges Kirkland Signature 52@50, 56@55, and 60
  • Putter KS1

I use a Bushnell V5 Slope range finder and a Garmin S70 watch. I like the accuracy of the range finder on approach shots and the shot tracking data the watch provides.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I currently use the GHIN app on my iPhone along with my Apple Watch for keeping score and stats and a Bushnell range finder. 

:callaway-small:Epic Max LS 9* ACCRA TZ6

:callaway-small:Epic Speed 3w ACCRA FX

:cobra-small:3H ACCRA FX

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 4-pw Aerotech 

:vokey-small:50,55,60 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 11.5 putter

:titelist-small: prov1

Shotscope X5 for shot tracking and gps but also use a rangefinder for a 2nd opinion at times

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg King Tec 3 hybrid

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

I used to rely solely on my 18 Birdies app but now that I work as a caddy I’ve learned how to best integrate GPS with a rangefinder and if you can use both quickly, in think you can really get better outcomes and make better decisions on the course. The key is to not get too hung up on the exact yardages and focus more on the distance to where you want the ball to land. I’ve also found old school methods of yardage books and pin sheets to be equally as effective if you know how to use them. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Pro X3+

3 minutes ago, Preeway said:

I used to rely solely on my 18 Birdies app but now that I work as a caddy I’ve learned how to best integrate GPS with a rangefinder and if you can use both quickly, in think you can really get better outcomes and make better decisions on the course. The key is to not get too hung up on the exact yardages and focus more on the distance to where you want the ball to land. I’ve also found old school methods of yardage books and pin sheets to be equally as effective if you know how to use them. 

Love this response. I’d love to get Shot Pattern into the hands of a few more caddies. Do you have an iPhone? Would love to connect and get your thoughts, since I think it would be a huge upgrade for you from 18 birdies

Wednesday, 28 Feb 2024 13:41:42.png

I use a Precision Pro rangefinder and I also use Arccos Golf sensors. I like the PrecisionPro with the front/center/back readings in addition to the laser. I like Arccos but struggle a little with the shots around the green and putting. I think it reads a shot sometimes when there isn't one (maybe when you drop a wedge on the ground?) and I usually forget to mark flag, so adjusting putts after the round is a guessing game.

Been playing golf since I was 8, so.... a long time!

1 hour ago, ericduffett said:

I’d actually argue that the range finder is most important once you get inside the number for your highest lofted wedge. Especially if you’ve been hitting on a launch monitor, you learn how to dial in your wedge swings based on the number, rather than a visual. GolfBetterTucson just talked about this on the Ping Proving Grounds pod and how he uses his rangefinder quite a bit around the green because he’s dialed in his feels for a bunch of short yardages based on the #

I agree that the closer you get to the green/pin, the more precision becomes beneficial. I also think most amateurs don’t fully understand how to get the exact yardage to a pin from inside 50 yards but then how to use that number to determine the distance to the desired landing spot. The rangefinder can tell you 52yds to pin but are you trying to land 60yds with backspin or land 45yds with 5yds of rollout? I see too many people get a yardage like 52yds and then try to hit it 52yds and then get mad when they end up in a bad spot. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Pro X3+

I have an old v2 rangefinder. They were so new and expensive when I got it back in probably 2008. Hasn't let me down! 

Ping Driver, Irons, Wedges, Putter. Callway Wood. Vice Pro Zero golf balls. Vessel Pro IV golf bag. Sketches Go Golf Shoes. Body by Wisconsin Cheese