Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

Use a Glove or not?

I feel more connected to the club without a glove on. I do, on the other hand, use full cord grips so there is no chance for slipping. Change my grips every year, so overall the cost is the same as regular grips and several gloves a year. I see it as a wash.

As you walk down the fairway of life, take time to smell the flowers as you only get one round.

This is very interesting to me.  I have never considered not using a glove on full swing shots.  I might try it based on some of the responses here.  Definitely need rain gloves if playing it wet weather!

Driver - Titleist TS2 

3 Wood - TaylorMade Rocketballz 2

Hybrids - Taylormade Rescue knockoffs

Irons - Taylormade Burner 2.0

52 Degree - Cleveland CG14

56 Degree - Titleist Vokey BV

60 Degree - Ping Glide 3.0

Ball - Depends if I find in or have to pay for it.

In 26 years of golf I’ve worn a glove maybe 5-10 times. My grandfather was pennywise and introduced me to the game under the premise that if you can play without a glove it’ll save you plenty of money over time. Just a few days ago I had a playing partner realize it after a few holes and say, “oh! No-glover, eh?” Funny.

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)

What kind of heathen doesn't wear a glove?!?!?

J/K, 3 of 5 people I play with the most don't wear a glove at all. Including my Son. However, I think I have him convinced it's a good idea now after he let loose with his 4i and sent it helicoptering over heads of everyone behind him on the range the other week. He swings hard... probably too hard.

I usually take mine off inside of 50 yards.

"Golf is a game in which you yell fore, shoot six, and write down five." -Paul Harvey

I've been thinking a bit more about this and I have a question for the "non-glovers."  Do your hands not sweat?  I have 1/2 cord grips and when it gets hot out (yes, it does in fact get hot in MN for 1 or 2 days during the Summer) I would be so afraid I would lose my grip that I would have a death grip on the club.  Some of those days I even use 2 gloves, alternating between them to allow one to dry as I am soaking the other.  I may try "gloveless" on cooler days but don't think I would dare on hot ones.

Driver - Titleist TS2 

3 Wood - TaylorMade Rocketballz 2

Hybrids - Taylormade Rescue knockoffs

Irons - Taylormade Burner 2.0

52 Degree - Cleveland CG14

56 Degree - Titleist Vokey BV

60 Degree - Ping Glide 3.0

Ball - Depends if I find in or have to pay for it.

I play in Chicagoland which gets humid (in spite of the opinions of locals not like western Pennsylvania where I grew up) and my hands will sweat.  Here's my trick.  Rub your hands on the grass.  They will get dry and stay dry and tacky for a hole or two.  Interesting thing about golf courses -- there's usually plenty of grass.  When I say on the grass, I don't mean on the ground.  Like you might rub paint brush bristles, you're not trying to touch the metal.  Then again if one is still wearing a face mask this technique might be too risky.

I wore gloves in the past and got distinct impression that they become worn and loose so as not to be as dependable as bare hands.  Of course, perhaps the reason "I'm suck" is I don't really have a steady grip.  I've never noticed a club slipping in my hand.  I'm always amazed at how much grip toweling goes on by professionals and their caddies.

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

Thinking more about it, maybe my hands don't sweat but sweat comes from my arms.  Maybe there is a physiological difference between our broods.

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

A good glove is a must for me, and when the weather heats up I also will carry a backup in case my original gets a bit sweaty. For me, I feel much more confident in my grip with a glove, and am able to better avoid gripping more with my palm.

Along with the glove, I also use a grip spray to really make sure I have a solid, tacky grip. A few summers ago, my right hand slipped a bit and left the face wide open leading to a shank directly into a house (luckily, no broken windows or damage), so I'm a bit paranoid about my grip now. 😂

WITB:

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx 9* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Kuro Kage 70g Stiff Shaft

3 Wood - :cobra-small: LTDx 15* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Tensei 75g Stiff Shaft

7 Wood -  :callaway-small: Triple🔹20* w/ Project X Denali Black 70g Stiff Shaft

Irons (PW-4 Iron) -  :taylormade-small: P790 w/ Oban 115g X-Stiff Shafts

Wedges (50, 54, 58) - :vokey-small: SM9

Putter - :bettinardi-small: Studio Stock 28 Armlock w/ Super Stroke Grip

All I’ll say is that the question “do you willingly choose to not wear a a glove?” should be on every psychiatric assessment. Obviously this would come after “Do you golf?”, cause we all must be a little crazy to play this game. 

TM Stealth+, Ping G400 Fw, Ping G410 3 Hyb, Mizuno MP20 MMC 6-Pw, MP20 HMB 5, Honma TW-W 52, 56, 60, Cobra Supersport 35 putter. 

3 hours ago, Mexi Fry Golf said:

All I’ll say is that the question “do you willingly choose to not wear a a glove?” should be on every psychiatric assessment. Obviously this would come after “Do you golf?”, cause we all must be a little crazy to play this game. 

is that like "because"?

Grew up playing a glove, watched my heroes playing a glove - so yes, I wear a glove.

It works for me - and I don't wear for putting or delicate pitch/chip 'feel' shots - but it makes for a solid grip on most shots which is key.

Taylormade Tour Preferred is current glove of choice - I've yet to find anything better since the demise of the Titlesit players.

Edited by jaskanski

When I started playing at 13-15, I would go off and on with a glove. I kind of liked not wearing a glove. But I realized over time that the risk of the chance of slipping and my club turning was just too high and it was not worth it to not wear a glove, because it makes a huge difference. So I just always wear a glove and have since high school. I don’t putt with the glove on. For chipping it can be either way. But most other shots I have it on. 

By the way, my first legit set of irons had Tour Wrap grips which were awesome (and they are still in excellent shape by the way after like 25 years of service). However, those grips became quite slick when wet, and I did throw them accidentally once or twice in matches in the rain, with a glove, which was pretty shocking 😲. I now have rain gloves handy (left and right) in case I’m playing in the rain. 

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

• 2 weeks later...

Wearing a glove in golf has really made a difference for me, especially since I use cord grips. Over the past few seasons, I've become a glove wearer, and I've noticed that it helps me feel more connected to the club. With the glove on, I have better control over my swings and feel more confident in my grip. Without it, my hands tend to get sweaty, which can mess up my shots. Plus, the glove protects my hands from blisters and calluses, allowing me to play comfortably for longer periods. Overall, wearing a glove has become an essential part of my game and has definitely improved my performance on the course.

Driver: Mizuno Stz

Fairway: Titliest 9115 3 Wood

Irons: Callaway Legacy Black 4-PW

Wedges: Vokeys

Putter: Phantom 5.5

Ball: ProV 

I know several people who play without golf gloves, but I'm so used to it, I'd never be without. I take my glove off to putt in summer, not for feel like pros do evidently, just in hopes of letting it dry a little during the round. Some summer days I use two gloves, alternating every couple of holes, so it doesn't get saturated with sweat.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I use a glove for every shot thats not a putt. My dad is a non glove guy, but I could never do it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

Definitely something worth tinkering around with. Some guys (ei. Lucas Glover, Fred Couples) clearly perform their best without. 

Personally, I have to have a glove from outside 50 yards. I lose control of the club face and hit it everywhere. 

Do whatever it takes to hit better shots more often.  

I am a glove user. I never wear it putting or with delicate short chip shots. Being in Florida every inch of your body sweats during the summer and I know some people that need 3 or 4 gloves per round. Thier cart looks like a laundry station. I did find a product that is absolutely AMAZING. www.chalkless.com   This is the best new product I have bought. I am in no way affiliated with them. Just saw it at the PGA show. I've used it while playing golf and it really did what it claims. I tried it while fishing and it worked better than I expected. One application lasted all day. It could solve the issues for people who hate to wear a glove but need a glove. I applied it to my glove during a rather damp morning. My glove stayed dryer as it repelled the water. It's a good product and worth the $20.

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

Perspiration /sweat not an issue, so unless it’s cold/raining, never wear a glove. Using midsize, less tapered grips (redone every year). 

Driver:    :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 12.5’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 19.0’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 21.0’ Heavenwood

Irons:      :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 6-7-8-9-PW-AW.

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 50’

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 54’

Putter:       :taylormade-small:Spider. Tour III

I don’t use a glove in cool weather. In hot weather, my hands sweat so much that I cycle between 4 gloves every round.  I’ve never noticed any difference between control with no glove in cool, dry weather and wearing a glove in hot weather. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Team no glove here.  It wasn't always that way, but I started playing no glove on my touch shots inside 100 yards and gradually progressed to no glove at all.  Particularly after I started taking lessons.  I found that it was easier for me to complete drills and find feel sans glove.  🤷‍♂️.   It also makes it very easy for me to feel feedback from the club face. I find that it causes me to be very deliberate about my grip, grip pressure, and tempo. 

Eventually I played a full round without and never looked back.  Now that I've been playing without a glove for a couple years (fully formed calluses at the grip points) I don't really have any issues with grip even in the heat of summer or the rain.  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

I use a glove on all shots except putting, I prefer a really tight fit and fully enclosed wrist, none of that elastic stretchy band that is on 90% of glove cuffs that do not "secure".

Many of my practice days back in CA were at a beautiful water range, no glove equals maybe no club, unless you go snorkeling or scuba diving.

20230112_171556.jpg.e875e79a42d7eaedec06b7a5d57645d2.jpg

Cheers.

Cheers.