How many balls do you carry?

Probably around 2 dozen total…don’t do anything specific for a round.  Have one pocket with new/good balls that I generally start with…have another pocket of decent balls that I’ll play if the round starts to go sideways (like some of my golf balls!).

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I carry about dozen in pocket of new balls.  In another pocket are balls I find on course to use  as shag balls.  Then in one of large pockets keep another dozen just in case.   Never had to use on course though.

Mickey Ward 

12 if I am riding, but have found I really don’t need them.  Most rounds I may lose 1 or 2.  Could definitely get by with 6 and feel good about it.   Especially when walking.  

I play once a week at least with a regular foursome. Between a 14-17 handicap, but working to get more consistent.  Enjoy walking when it’s not too hot.  

I carry around a dozen new balls in my bag.  When I start my round I have the ball I’m playing out and a spare in my left pocket just in case I need a breakfast ball, want to hit a 2nd pissed off shot or put one in the drink.  I generally pick up lost balls as I see them and occasionally clean them out of my bag.  I add them to my collection of found balls that end up in my yard since I live on a golf course. 

Mark Luft

Driver:  PING G430SFT 

Woods: PING G430SFT 3, 5 & 7

Irons:  PING G430 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, W, 45, 50, 54, 58

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X HydroBlast #9

Bag:  Bag Boy Revolver

Push Cart:  Bag Boy Nitro 3 Wheeler

I will take a new sleeve to play with. I have a pocket of used balls that are to be donated to my shag bag but might come out if I lose too many in a round. Hardly never happens unless it’s a scramble. I I might have a dozen overall in the bag. 

Now back in the day when I was sure if Jekyll or Hyde was going to show up, I carried all I could until it got too heavy and I’d unload some. Never wanted to run out of balls. 

Glad those days are gone. I also do find quite a few when I play. I’ll keep the ones that are good but give the others to my father in law. 

Matt Dura

Francis Marion University Hall of Fame 2018

default_titelist-small.jpg.035c687f1ee4f222f65826e0f2ccf716.jpg TS4 9.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g Low spin driver; PRO V1X

default_taylormade-small.jpg.e5271abefda63fc90c515812858df654.jpg M3 17*HL turned down to 15*, Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Series 65 Stiff

Ben Hogan 17* & 21* EDGE CFT Hybrids

default_ping-small.jpg.4f6644e7b181538ad4356fa5baa9ab06.jpg i200 blue dot, KBS Tour 120 S 4i-PW; Glide 58*/10

default_cleveland-small.jpg.c369c88345deb6bf5d6da562e36c46e9.jpg 50* RTX 588; 54* CG10

LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg.c85827f16c4e90eabef5b35daa9e8b47.jpg APA Model 1

ODIN.jpg.36f5f3d3738de8051e6e80e0aec7b2d2.jpg X1

9 in the bag; with extra in the car 😉

Currently playing Titleist 905 9.5 degree, 904 @ 15 degrees, 913 @ 19 degrees: Maltby DBM Forged 4 - gw, TSW Forged 54, 58 degree, ping answer 2 Kirkland Signature (2024);  I use any combination of Titleist 905 9.5 degree, PXG 0811X 9 degree, Titleist 904 @ 15 degrees, Maltby KE4 14 degree, Titleist 913 @ 19,  Maltby KE4 Tour FDE 19 degree driving iron, Upswing 7 wood 21 degree, Titliest 670 2-PW, Cleveland 52, Callaway 58, Maltby DBM Forged 4-GW, Maltby TSW forged 54, 58, Vokey 52, 56, 58, 60 Ping Anser 2 (1990), Scotty Bullseye, Wilson Bucktown, Odyssey Rossi White Hot, Odyssey Versa;

I carry 6-9 new balls, so 2-3 sleeves. I keep a couple what I call "bag balls" normally, which consist of a couple decent ones that I've found while playing just in case I'm having a rough day. 

D - Cobra Darkspeed X - 9 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI 661X

3W - Taylormade SIM 2 - 15 deg - HZRDUS Smoke Black 80

HY - Taylormade Stealth UDI - 19 deg - Ventus Black HY 9 TX

Irons - Taylormade P790, Project X 6.5 (4-P)

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M)

Putter - Special Select Newport 2

6 balls max 

WITB as of February 2024 

Driver:   Rouge TD w/ LA Golf A Series (4) 

Wood:    Parydiam 3 wood 15 w/ Project X 65g stiff 

Irons:    JPX Tour - 4-PW
               Titleist - 3UD                                   

Wedge:  SM9- 52f, 56m degree 

Putter:   Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Balls:     Titleist - Left Dash ProVX  

A dozen or so. Usually two new sleeves and then some balls that survived previous rounds.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

One.

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     GX-7 14°
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER      L.A.B Link1 33"
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

I always start with 3 balls in my pocket.  If walking with my carry bag, then an additional 3-4; if using my push cart or riding, an additional 6-9 (plus any foundlings).

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

I probably carry about 12-18 golf balls. I may lose one on the course, but for the most part play a solid round. I usually carry 12 of the golf balls I play with (I flip flop between Vice, and Callaway) and 6 or so 'water balls'.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

On 4/20/2024 at 6:30 PM, Rob Person said:

Saw a guy today at the GC load his bag with 2 dozen balls. (New Tour response)

I asked him why so many? He replied that if he hits one cart path, tree branch, root, or hard packed area, that he plays a new ball, then just bags up the "used ones" and gives them to the high school team. 

I'm sure we all have had a ball hit something playing a round, but 90% of the time there's no damage to the ball, and still very playable. 

So how many balls do you pack for a round?

I have 12 usually.  6 for the round, and 2 sleeves incase a friend needs a new ball.

I carry 2 of them in my pocket though.

Rob, great question....When I started, I had probably a dozen or more "plus" any found balls during the course of the round.  Lately, I have pared way back - to, like you, 2 in the pocket and may a half dozen total in the bag.  That does change when I'm in "testing" mode as I will have a sleeve "each" of the varied brands on the testing block that day, but like I said for regular play, its gonna be around 6 total for the bag.  As far as dings, scuffs go - I will play a ball to death - it has to be pretty beat up before I retire it to the shag bag.  I really need to let go sooner, yet when a ball plays well I like to keep it in the game as long as I can still find it or until the dimples go flat....

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

6 balls is good enough for me. If I gouge one with a wedge or smoke a tree with my ball I will swap it out for a new one. Haven’t lost more than 2 golf balls in a full round in several years. Unnecessary weight to have more than 6. 

JackieMoon_LMS: 3.2 handicap

• Driver: Taylormade Stealth Plus 
  • 3W: Taylormade Sim 2 
  • 3H: Taylormade Stealth Plus
  • Irons 4 - PW: Taylormade Tour Preferred
  • Wedges: Vokey 50, 54, 58
  • Putter: Never Compromise GM2 Mallet
  • Ball: Vice Pro 

At the start of the season, I would load up 6-9 fresh balls.

But throughout the season when losing or finding balls that number would fluctuate anywhere between 2 in the bag to 25.

If heading to a new course, I'm bringing at least 2 sleeves, and maybe some "not so premium" balls in the event of a bad day with the driver.

Driver: Cobra LTD X

4 Hybrid: Taylormade SLDR S

Irons: PW-4 Titleist 714 AP2

Gap Wedge: Titleist SM8

Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54 and 58

Putter: Taylormade B1s Nubbins

I always start off playing brand new balls every round. I usually start with a new dozen balls to play and 3-4 that are used in good shape for particularly troublesome tee shots. If I scuff one, I take it out of play and put it in the bag to give to my 10 year old. I’ve gotten to the point where I can get through most rounds with about 2-3 balls if I’m playing decent golf. I have one in my pocket to play and the other two from the sleeve in the cart. If I have to go get another new sleeve out of the bag I’m still good. Whenever I get down to 2 new sleeves, I put another new dozen in the bag. 

TM SLDR D, 3W, H 

PXG XP 4-G

Vokey 52, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

I generally carry between 18 and 24. I usually only need one for my round, 3 on a bad day, but I like to be sure no one I'm playing with is going to run out. I play with a remote push cart, so the weight is of no concern to me. 

Edited by Dave Gignac
Corrected off to of.
  • TM Stealth 9* 
  • TM SIM 3 wood
  • TM P790 4-PW
  • Cleveland RTG 580 52*, 56*, 60*
  • TM Spider GT
  • Titleist ProV1X