How many balls do you carry?

I carry 4-6 balls in my bag and that's it.  

10 years ago when I was doing some club fitting work for TM, they gave me Penta golf balls to try.  I would put a Sharpie dot on the side for each round I played with a ball so I could see if I could get four rounds out of a ball. Some times, I would lose them in the first round, but most of the time, I would get three or four rounds before retiring the ball. I never played a ball past four rounds because the dimples/covers were pretty shot by then.

One time, I had three dots on a ball and was playing the 18th hole of my fourth round.  I hit my tee shot and heard the ball whizz, then drop sharply out of the sky.  I went up to it and saw that the ball had split, but not exactly in half.  I found the larger of the two pieces and played a new ball from there.  I was not happy because I was having a nice round and ended up with a bogey on the hole.

I gave the broken pieces to my TaylorMade Rep.  I never heard another thing from him.

The golf course I play has lots of trouble and it seems like most FOGs like to play expensive balls but don't care to look for them.  Here's a pic of my Titleist ProV-1 zippy bag of "finders" from this month.  I normally like to play yellow balls, but the FOG's are keeping me and my wife in golf balls.  

🤣

IMG_7329.jpeg

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

If I am carrying, 6 to 8.  Riding, 10 to 12.

My brother, back in the day was a caddy for the American Golf Classic at Firestone in Akron and got assigned to the legend Charlie Sifford.  He discovered Charlie had the heaviest bag he had ever carried.  He later discovered it was because Charlie had two dozen spare balls fresh in the boxes and two pairs of shoes stashed away in compartments on his enormous bag!

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

Really depends on the course for me. Normally 6-8, but if it’s a tight course I will bring probably double that. If I’m playing well I’ll keep playing a premium ball and then some “junk” ones if I just don’t have it that day.

Sometimes good, sometimes maybe s**t golfer.

Since I was selected as a Shot Scope tester for the Bridgestone Mindset golf balls and just received them, I have removed every other ball from my bag and put one dozen of the Bridgestones in there.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: Callaway Apex CF19 with UST Recoil F2 shafts
Wedges: Callaway MD5 54° and 58° with KBS steel shafts.
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet or Toulon Portland
Ball:  Currently Bridgestone Tour B RX Mindset

I carry between 6 to 24 balls. I try not to go out with less than 6 depending on the course. Played a course (18 holes) twice last year and lost 6 balls each time. Played 3 other 18 hole courses and lost 1 ball total. 

WITB: Taylormade M1 2017 version, M6 woods 5, 7, 9, M6 irons 6 thru gap wedge, Bombtech wedges 52, 56 and 60 degrees, Putter is Oddessy 2 ball Oworks. Kirkland balls.

At most I have 10. A couple sleeves of new balls and 3-4 more used balls if the round is going sideways and I want to protect the new ones from being lost. 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

I've posted already that I carry 2 sleeves of new balls and 10 old timers [retired from use for scuffs and other types of abuse] for practice.  As a related topic, what's the most balls you've ever lost in one round?  How about on one hole?

Personally, I've lost 6 balls on one hole!!!! Yep!  I'll quote Pink Floyd in my defense, "I was really drunk at the time!".  Youthful exuberance, I swear!  However, I have lost 3 balls in one round while cold sober.  And I'm not that bad a golfer.  I just tend to lose balls in the middle of the fairway.  In fact, I'm a bit infamous for this among my cadre of golf buddies.

One tournament round, back when I was really swinging well, I took one sleeve out.  Stiff wind, lots of water.  I washed two on the 3rd hole when the high, spinny wedge into the green got blown left into the water, hit a second over the green and washed that one too.  I had to nurse that last ball until the turn, bought two more sleeves....and didn't lose a ball the rest of the way in!  Some days I just have to laugh at myself.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

37 minutes ago, GolferXY said:

I've posted already that I carry 2 sleeves of new balls and 10 old timers [retired from use for scuffs and other types of abuse] for practice.  As a related topic, what's the most balls you've ever lost in one round?  How about on one hole?

Personally, I've lost 6 balls on one hole!!!! Yep!  I'll quote Pink Floyd in my defense, "I was really drunk at the time!".  Youthful exuberance, I swear!  However, I have lost 3 balls in one round while cold sober.  And I'm not that bad a golfer.  I just tend to lose balls in the middle of the fairway.  In fact, I'm a bit infamous for this among my cadre of golf buddies.

One tournament round, back when I was really swinging well, I took one sleeve out.  Stiff wind, lots of water.  I washed two on the 3rd hole when the high, spinny wedge into the green got blown left into the water, hit a second over the green and washed that one too.  I had to nurse that last ball until the turn, bought two more sleeves....and didn't lose a ball the rest of the way in!  Some days I just have to laugh at myself.

Feeling this question. In the beginning of my golfing adventure,  I'd lose as many as I found! (And I'd find alot!)

My ability to lose a bright yellow ball, or even the divide style colored ball is amazing! So much in fact that I even ran over a ball... twice! And that was in the fairway!!!

Most memorable would be a long par 3 over alot of water. On the short course this was my nemesis hole. From the forward tees it's 150, from the whites it's 180+ from the back it's 200+

I lost 6, yes 6 balls on that hole. I was determined to make it on the green! 6th ball I landed the green, and that proceeded to watch it roll back 20 yards and down into the drink.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

When I was younger and walked all the time I used to carry 6, then as I got older and rode a cart most of the time it because closer to 20-30 as I never emptied the bag of scuffed balls. Never really had a reason since I never carried the bag. At the end of the year I'd clean it out and start over again the next year. Now, I try to mix it up ride, walk, and push cart so I'm trying to keep it around 6, unless I'm playing a course with a lot of hazards then I might throw in an extra sleeve and if I have to play a ball with scuff marks or one that was cut by my wedges so be it. It is better than killing my back with a few dozen balls. 

Mike

11 hours ago, GolferXY said:

Most I’ve lost in a round is 6…really tough course and struggling with a swing results in a bad combination.  

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I typically carry around 10-15 balls. 

I've lowered the volume of 'water balls' that I use since I've realized I start to psyche myself out when I tee one up. 

Balls are meant to be lost/sacrificed to the Gawds. 

WITB: 

Driver: Cobra Speedzone Extreme :cobra-small:

5W: Callaway Big Bertha B21 :callaway-small:

4H: Callaway Rogue ST :callaway-small:

5i-PW: Cobra Radspeed :cobra-small:

52°: Vokey BV52 :vokey-small:

56°: Cleveland CBX2 :cleveland-small:

Flat Stick: L.A.B Link 1 :L.A.B.:

I usually carry 6 game balls of the same type and then a collection of random balls that were found, or of different brand/model than the one currently playing. Probably have around 15 balls in my bag at any given time.

• Callaway Epic Max LS
  • Cobra Radspeed 3w
  • TM RBZ 19º Hybrid
  • New Level 902-PD 5-PW 
  • Callaway Jaws 52
  • Cleveland RTX 56
  • Alien 60
  • Odessy Dual Force II CS#5 Putter

7 minutes ago, SloSwingUpNorth said:

Way too many! About 12-16 good ones in bag along with 12 for letting go on the range, then 6+ more in pushcart tray. I used to put a lot in the weeds/swamp etc. Played the same ball for 18 the other day so must be getting better? Hah!

I do the same, plenty of balls for those holes where you have to carry water!

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

Had a good third round with the same ball, the Bridgestone Tour B RX, aka Scruffy.  It has been wild hitting the same ball hole after hole round after round.  At this rate I am carrying about 20 too many for the rest of the year….IMG_8021.jpeg.2639ec15356e9d7722886eee2ff9c843.jpegIMG_8023.jpeg.e0f416b990b82cd62d81c6d869242eda.jpeg

this ball has been tough…

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; Edel SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

1 hour ago, dbsikirica said:

40, I get the hooks sonetimes

Mine likes water.  I play on a par 3 course that has 7 out of 9 holes where you have to carry water  on the front and sides of the greens.  Needless to say, I can have 4 balls go swimming on me on one hole because they want to play marco polo.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

Since I know my course very well, I usually have a couple of sleeves of Maxfli Tour S with me.  When I open the last sleeve, I add a new sleeve when I get home.  If I'm playing a different course that I don't know very well, I'll add a sleeve.  I only pick up "found" balls if they are in nice condition and are ones I know that friends play... PV1 and Callaway triple track.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Since I know my course very well, I usually have a couple of sleeves of Maxfli Tour S with me.  When I open the last sleeve, I add a new sleeve when I get home.  If I'm playing a different course that I don't know very well, I'll add a sleeve.  I only pick up "found" balls if they are in nice condition and are ones I know that friends play... PV1 and Callaway triple track.

I feel like I've hit gold when. I find a vice, CS-TT, or a yellow ProV1... 😆 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

9 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Rob - that so reminds me of hmmmmm.........me!  Yellow PV1's are rare birds as well as the CS-TT.  Of course on my local course - I find plenty of the standard PV1's,  Vice (especially the models like WallyWorld carries), an occasional Bridgestone Tour B (no Mindsets...yet!).  My grandson considers it part of a round if we find a few golf balls in the course of play.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; Edel SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

10 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I used to pick up all balls that were in decent shape; some just to try out, but my bag was overwhelmed!  I made the decision to only play Maxfli Tour S balls, and I like the feel of that ball off a club as well as the consistency of playing the same ball.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I carry anywhere from two dozen down to about 6. I just fill up my ball pocket and when it gets down to about 6, I throw another box in. This does take quite a few rounds as I don't lose as many as I used to. There's usually a couple of junk balls in there in case I get to a really nerve racking hole or I'm about to attempt a shot I have no business trying. But most of them are the same ball. 

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

Taylormade sim 4hybrid through PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

Posted (edited)

Too many at this point, Gotta do a whole sale clear out before I head down for the MGS Outing. At the range yesterday I think I may have counted something like at least 20 in there right now, which is way way way too many for me.

Edited by Berg Ryman

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)