2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Phoenix Metro courses that don’t allow you to use your own push cart

Hi spies,

I played Papago yesterday and was paired up with push carters for the first time. I always had the idea that pushing would be slower, but quickly realized how wrong I was. By hole 8, my friend and I were already discussing getting push carts for our future rounds instead of driving carts because of how much better pace of play was for the push carters who didn’t have to rush to cart and scramble if one person hit left off the tee and the other hit right. 

I sent a text to my uncle who started my golf obsession to ask him if he pushes and he said he does and has his own cart. He also added that some courses, including the course he is a member at do not allow you to bring your own push cart. 

do any of my fellow Phoenix metro (Scottsdale, Phoenix, Cave Creek, Mesa, Tempe) spies know what courses in the area don’t allow you to bring your own push cart?

After yesterday, I’m on the verge of picking up either a Clicgear 4.0 or a Bag Boy Nitron this week so I’m ready to push my next round.

Edited by musicalmedicine

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Tour 2.0 Black 65 X shaft

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º :truetemper:Dynamic Gold S 300 shaft

:L.A.B.: DF3 :accra: shaft

56 minutes ago, musicalmedicine said:

Hi spies,

I played Papago yesterday and was paired up with push carters for the first time. I always had the idea that pushing would be slower, but quickly realized how wrong I was. By hole 8, my friend and I were already discussing getting push carts for our future rounds instead of driving carts because of how much better pace of play was for the push carters who didn’t have to rush to cart and scramble if one person hit left off the tee and the other hit right. 

I sent a text to my uncle who started my golf obsession to ask him if he pushes and he said he does and has his own cart. He also added that some courses, including the course he is a member at do not allow you to bring your own push cart. 

do any of my fellow Phoenix metro (Scottsdale, Phoenix, Cave Creek, Mesa, Tempe) spies know what courses in the area don’t allow you to bring your own push cart?

After yesterday, I’m on the verge of picking up either a Clicgear 4.0 or a Bag Boy Nitron this week so I’m ready to push my next round.

I can't help you with the Phoenix area courses, but I can say that I recently upgraded from a 10 year old no-name push cart to a Bag Boy Nitron and I absolutely love it! I'm sure the Clicgear is great as well, but all the research I did led me to the Bag Boy and I have no regrets.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

4 minutes ago, Parshooter36 said:

I can't help you with the Phoenix area courses, but I can say that I recently upgraded from a 10 year old no-name push cart to a Bag Boy Nitron and I absolutely love it! I'm sure the Clicgear is great as well, but all the research I did led me to the Bag Boy and I have no regrets.

Thanks for the info on your recent purchase, definitely helpful. I’m still gathering info on the two from across the internet and of course the My Golf Spy buyers guide from last year. 

Courses not allowing you to bring your own push cart? Man, that just sounds like a money grab by the course. I can understand not letting people bring their own golf carts onto a course as a possible liability issue but not push carts.

Anyways, I've been a push carter for probably the past 2.5 years now. I've been using the CaddyTek 3 wheel golf cart with swivel front wheel and have been very happy with it. I bought it from Costco. It's nothing overly fancy but has everything I need and has a wheel lock if you play hilly courses.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

2 hours ago, musicalmedicine said:

Hi spies,

I’ve been walking for years. Nothing better. Good for your health and all your clubs are right there. 
I would rent one at the course and walk a few rounds first. Make sure you like it and the course is walkable. Then do some math. How much does it cost to rent a riding cart and look at the number or rounds you play a year. I try to justify the expense by paying for itself in a season or two.

My course charges $20 for a riding cart. I walk 75 rounds a year (or more) That’s $1,500 in savings and an electric cart is $1,500. Bam, done. 

I have two push carts sitting in the shed for company or my kids to use. I exclusively use an electric one now. Motocaddy M7 remote. It would have paid for itself in the first year. I say would have because it was gifted to me from a tester two seasons ago.  If it ever dies I would get another. 
 But if you don’t play as much a three wheeled push cart is the way to go. Whichever model you choose make sure the front wheel pivots. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

4 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I’ve been walking for years. Nothing better. Good for your health and all your clubs are right there. 
I would rent one at the course and walk a few rounds first. Make sure you like it and the course is walkable. Then do some math. How much does it cost to rent a riding cart and look at the number or rounds you play a year. I try to justify the expense by paying for itself in a season or two.

My course charges $20 for a riding cart. I walk 75 rounds a year (or more) That’s $1,500 in savings and an electric cart is $1,500. Bam, done. 

I have two push carts sitting in the shed for company or my kids to use. I exclusively use an electric one now. Motocaddy M7 remote. It would have paid for itself in the first year. I say would have because it was gifted to me from a tester two seasons ago.  If it ever dies I would get another. 
 But if you don’t play as much a three wheeled push cart is the way to go. Whichever model you choose make sure the front wheel pivots. 

Thanks for your input, @Tom the Golf Nut! I like your return on investment strategy. I reviewed the prices of the three courses on my regular rotation and they charge $10 to $15 for riding. I also checked the Price of the Caddytek from Costco after @FallenSaber’s suggestion and decided to take the plunge and order it. At $150 it is very reasonably priced, and with Costco’s return policy I know I can recoup the cost if it doesn’t suit my needs.

3 hours ago, musicalmedicine said:

... I think most courses here, especially those in the mountains with a lot of elevation changes are either too far between greens and tees or they allow push carts. Most of the courses I play that are walkable allow push carts. Fwiw, I tried using my electric remote cart at Southern Dunes but there is so much thick sand off the tees, it bogged down and I went to a riding cart on the back 9. 

... Liike Tom, I have been using electric carts since 1995 and couldn't imagine playing with anything else. That said, summer here is too hot to walk and the breeze the cart provides as well as racing to the shade means we take riding carts from June though September. But I pretty much play Aguila exclusively in winter because it is $37 to walk at twilite while most other courses (and many not as nice) charge $250-$350. I use my remote cart all winter. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

22 minutes ago, musicalmedicine said:

Thanks for your input, @Tom the Golf Nut! I like your return on investment strategy. I reviewed the prices of the three courses on my regular rotation and they charge $10 to $15 for riding. I also checked the Price of the Caddytek from Costco after @FallenSaber’s suggestion and decided to take the plunge and order it. At $150 it is very reasonably priced, and with Costco’s return policy I know I can recoup the cost if it doesn’t suit my needs.

I know a few people that have the Caddytek from Cosco and love them. The only complaint is, if you are playing a morning round and the grass was freshly cut. The space between the front wheel and its fork or fender so to speak is small and it will build up with grass making it hard to push. Just have to dig it out of there with a stick or something. But that is just a once in a while condition. 
My Motocaddy sometimes picks up a pinecone and jams the front wheel. Most of the time a quick reverse frees it up or I just pull it out. Everything has its little thing to take care of. 

Have fun walking. Believe it or not you will focus more and in return score better.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

@musicalmedicine hope you enjoy the CaddyTek! My golf buddy had a push cart (dont remember which one) and wasnt a fan of it. I let him borrow mine for a round and he immediately went and bought one. The $150 price point is hard to beat. They sometimes have sales on it. I think I got mine for $120 when it was on sale.

@Tom the Golf Nut I have run into that before with the clump of grass. I typically play morning back 9s and in the past 2 years, I can only recall maybe 1 round where it was a problem but easy to fix. I just pulled out the grass and moved on.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

With the BagBoy Nitron, you can get a bag with Top Lok on it (BagBoy or Datrek) and not even need straps on your push cart.  I love my Nitron and still like my BagBoy Quad that's up at the lake.  

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T