TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Graphite Design Tour AD Shafts ×

COBRA DARKSPEED X Driver - An Unofficial Review by GolfSpy_KFT

On 6/11/2024 at 11:47 AM, GolfSpy_KFT said:

I should also mention that after the success @GolfSpy_BNG had with the Wilson Staff Model golf ball, I went in on the buy 2 get one dozen free deal they were running with a buddy (he owed me some golf balls), and they are fantastic. Softer feel, which I ended up loving and surprised me because I trended towards more firm last year. I also do think they played a factor into the extra length I was seeing off the tee. I wouldn't mind a little more spin going into the greens with them, but I should be able to adjust for that. Great golf ball to try when you're looking to pick up some more golf balls this year. 

I got the same buy 2 get 1 deal on the Wilson Staff Model and I've been liking it a lot so far, after playing a dozen Wilson Triads before that. Both are great balls. I didn't see @GolfSpy_BNG's comments. Do you remember where that was? 

Great stuff on the Dark Speed driver. I hit the Dark Speed LS only a few times at a driver fitting early this year and it seemed good. Your toe miss with a draw back to the middle sounds like what happens to my mishits when I'm swinging driver well. It works great, doesn't it? High toe doesn't even lose much distance for me. I tried to straighten out my hook miss a bit this season, and now the past few rounds I'm fading unexpectedly when I never faded before 😮 I need to figure that out and get back to all draws, one-way miss!

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

21 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

I got the same buy 2 get 1 deal on the Wilson Staff Model and I've been liking it a lot so far, after playing a dozen Wilson Triads before that. Both are great balls. I didn't see @GolfSpy_BNG's comments. Do you remember where that was? 

Great stuff on the Dark Speed driver. I hit the Dark Speed LS only a few times at a driver fitting early this year and it seemed good. Your toe miss with a draw back to the middle sounds like what happens to my mishits when I'm swinging driver well. It works great, doesn't it? High toe doesn't even lose much distance for me. I tried to straighten out my hook miss a bit this season, and now the past few rounds I'm fading unexpectedly when I never faded before 😮 I need to figure that out and get back to all draws, one-way miss!

His comments were just in our staff Slack, not sure if they ever made it here. But he picked up some solid distance. The only thing I miss with the Staff Model is a bit more greenside spin. May end up giving the Model X a run if I need more golf balls later this season. Currenlty have a pretty large stockpile 🤣.

I hit the DS LS earlier this year as well and it felt great, but it was too fade biased for my liking. The X seems to be that sweet spot for me!

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X 

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Cobra Darkspeed X Driver Unofficial Review (link here)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

His comments were just in our staff Slack, not sure if they ever made it here. But he picked up some solid distance. The only thing I miss with the Staff Model is a bit more greenside spin. May end up giving the Model X a run if I need more golf balls later this season. Currenlty have a pretty large stockpile 🤣.

I hit the DS LS earlier this year as well and it felt great, but it was too fade biased for my liking. The X seems to be that sweet spot for me!

2 hours ago, HikingMike said:

As Jason mentioned I just posted some comments on our staff channel. For me the regular Staff Model ball has faster ball speed and lower spin off the driver(huge win), plenty of spin and soft feel off the long irons, easily holds greens with the short irons, and feels perfect off the putter. Like Jason, I’d love a little more spin off half wedges but otherwise it’s perfect. 

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    PXG Black Ops 8* or Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Grey 65/4 shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :titleist-small: T150 4-GW with Modus 105R

Wedges:    :vokey-small: SM10 56M shaft TBD

:edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge 

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

As Jason mentioned I just posted some comments on our staff channel. For me the regular Staff Model ball has faster ball speed and lower spin off the driver(huge win), plenty of spin and soft feel off the long irons, easily holds greens with the short irons, and feels perfect off the putter. Like Jason, I’d love a little more spin off half wedges but otherwise it’s perfect. 

Excellent. I don’t have any numbers to compare, but otherwise my preliminary thoughts would be exactly the same! I’ve also been keeping driver spin down as a goal this season. Thanks for the note.

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone