Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Completely Lost My Irons

My irons used to be a strength of mine. I’ve been working a lot of my driver, which has mildly improved. Now I’m less consistent with my irons and hitting them off the heal of my irons. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blake Wilson

Practice your irons?   Take a lesson?     Figuring out what you need to change the strike location will be an advantage on the course.   Practice hitting shots off the toe, heel, and middle and learn what you are doing to accomplish that task.   Moral of the story is that you need to practice all aspects of your game.   

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Issues in the swing get exaserbated the longer the club gets. Working specifically on driver is not the best way to fix the driver issues. The longe the club the harder it is to compensate for the club being out of position compared to a short iron.

Fix the swing issues and it will carry over to the driver.

as cnosil mentioned you have to figure out where the change is needed. Find a good teaching pro. It will save time and frustration on getting better especially if you are able to check in to make sure you are doing the drills right and understanding what the pro wants you to do. Seen too many not do things the proper way and have a swing that’s just as bad years later despite tons of work and effort in practice 

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have this problem when I was hitting the range too much.

I would focus on my irons and be flushing them, then my driver would suffer, and vice versa. Then someone mentioned to me to start playing holes while on the range, Meaning hit the clubs you would hit on a par 4 or par 5, Driver-8i, Driver-3wd-wedge, ect. Going back and forth helped me remember the proper setup for each club.

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

48 minutes ago, WilliamYates said:

I used to have this problem when I was hitting the range too much.

I would focus on my irons and be flushing them, then my driver would suffer, and vice versa. Then someone mentioned to me to start playing holes while on the range, Meaning hit the clubs you would hit on a par 4 or par 5, Driver-8i, Driver-3wd-wedge, ect. Going back and forth helped me remember the proper setup for each club.

This is the way. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Update….i readjusted my lie angle on my irons and am back to normal. Still have some work to do, but am so happy to have my game back. Still have the issue with flushing a ball and having it go 10-15 yards further. I will probably address this in the spring and get fitted for a new set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blake Wilson