PXG Allan Putter - 2024 Forum Review

On 9/19/2024 at 6:13 PM, Quigleyd said:

3. The balance of this putter and the over all blacked out look with the M16 (blacked out) shaft is great! 

Interesting.  Mine came with a silver shaft, I didn't know there was an option for blacked out.  It looks better in all black, IMHO.

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra RADSpeed XB 10.5° Motore X F3

Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra 15.5° 3/F Baffler Rail F

Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra RAD Speed 21° 4 Hybrid

Cobra RAD Speed 24° 5 Hybrid 

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra Aero Jet 5 - PW, GW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Bag: 1622150773421.jpg.867df9e5987ee9b79cc36f4c70090b01.jpg Big Max 14.0 Hybrid

Ball: :titleist-small: Titleist Velocity

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FJ Flex

2 hours ago, TheOther1 said:

Interesting.  Mine came with a silver shaft, I didn't know there was an option for blacked out.  It looks better in all black, IMHO.

Before my fitting I had gone on the website and looked at all the options. I knew the blacked out shaft was an option so made sure to ask for it. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

4 hours ago, VernL4 said:

Fedex tells me that Allan is going to arrive today!

hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Here we go people... I've got a few things to talk about. I will also add this to my main post on page one, but I'm putting it here (on page 5) first. I'm throwing the fitting itself in here as well. I'm trying to go through stuff in chronological order.

I was contacted by Megan about scheduling a fitting. Their location nearest to me is an hour away, so it was a bit tricky to work that into the schedule. I found an afternoon that I was able to leave work a bit early to get down to Indianapolis for the fitting. I live in a city of 100,000. I don't expect PXG to have a location in my city, so I'm not counting that against them in any way. I'm just stating the facts. In the six days between scheduling the fitting and actually going to the fitting I received at least one email per day reminding me of the scheduled fitting. (I'm a grown man. I know how to use my calendar. I do not need constant reminders about my upcoming events.) This did get to be annoying. I'm knocking off half a point for this.

As for the fitting itself, it was an excellent experience. Brandon was patient, knowledgeable, and detailed. We were talking about inertia and torque and axis of rotation. My wife and I both have experience in the civil engineering field, so we loved all of the technical jargon. Everything Brandon told us made complete sense. Brandon put my old putter into the test tube that they have. It was wobbling all over the place. Then he put the Allan in the tester. It's very stable. It seems like Allan knows where the hole is and that's where he wants to send the ball. (It makes me think of Happy Gilmore trying to send the ball home.) This picture shows the difference in "hang" between the two putters. The two clubs definitely feel very different when swinging them. The Allan feels like it is working with you.

PXL_20240923_231603214.jpg.8449f14c48228b9943fbb4cbbae8a95b.jpg

Anyway, the fitting was great. We were out of the store in under and hour. Then the wait began. 6 days from the fitting until the club arrived at my door. It seemed longer than that because of the anticipation. Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with a turnaround of 6 days. They built the club to my specs and then it was shipped 1,700 miles to me. Well done PXG. My wife sent this picture to me while I was at work.

PXL_20240923_230529961.jpg.9ead4a8ace939b119b3e6300faf8141e.jpg

A non-descript box... But for those that know, it could only be one thing- The Allan had arrived! Let the unboxing begin!

PXGBoxonTableClipped.jpg.1af7439051adbe9995cbe0fe18229130.jpg

PXGBoxOpenedClipped.jpg.c2b697ab201b80ee1faedf9144b8f5e3.jpg

Now, here is where a bit of concern crept into my mind. I've seen the unboxing photos of the people that are testing the PXG irons. There are little dividers to hold the clubs in place during shipping. The above picture is exactly how I saw it when I first opened the box. Yes, the head of the putter is inside of the headcover, but there was nothing else in there to protect the club from moving around during shipping. I really felt that a $600 club would have been better protected. I felt like docking a point for this, but my wife said "Nothing happened to the club, so all is fine". OK, I'm still docking half of a point.

Here's a picture that shows the other items that were included in the box- two stickers and the invoice sheet were in a black envelope.

PXL_20240923_231234759.jpg.d2760484a1757ff10810737435f3b636.jpg

I took a few more pictures. I really like the look of the Allan.

PXL_20240923_231938335.jpg.e6013e275a2158f661eb5c1a827b2d11.jpgPXL_20240923_231918142.jpg.c878e54830cde3f90ccbc1d60d8fc39f.jpgPXL_20240923_231719313.jpg.62936cad0f548b1c9b2933206a5120f0.jpgPXL_20240923_231701250.jpg.1cf47b361f5a6c3bf98694e410fe1c10.jpg

I then threw a ball on the floor of the living room and looked for a target. I chose the wheel of a plant rack that was 15 feet away. I hit the wheel with both of the practice putts that I made. Then the phone rang and that was all of the time that I had to practice with the Allan for that evening. 100% accuracy from 15 feet? I'll take it!!!

I have a tee time for tomorrow afternoon at my favorite course!

Final score for the first impression? 9/10

Edited by VernL4

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

1 hour ago, VernL4 said:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Here we go people... I've got a few things to talk about. I will also add this to my main post on page one, but I'm putting it here (on page 5) first. I'm throwing the fitting itself in here as well. I'm trying to go through stuff in chronological order.

I was contacted by Megan about scheduling a fitting. Their location nearest to me is an hour away, so it was a bit tricky to work that into the schedule. I found an afternoon that I was able to leave work a bit early to get down to Indianapolis for the fitting. I live in a city of 100,000. I don't expect PXG to have a location in my city, so I'm not counting that against them in any way. I'm just stating the facts. In the six days between scheduling the fitting and actually going to the fitting I received at least one email per day reminding me of the scheduled fitting. (I'm a grown man. I know how to use my calendar. I do not need constant reminders about my upcoming events.) This did get to be annoying. I'm knocking off half a point for this.

As for the fitting itself, it was an excellent experience. Brandon was patient, knowledgeable, and detailed. We were talking about inertia and torque and axis of rotation. My wife and I both have experience in the civil engineering field, so we loved all of the technical jargon. Everything Brandon told us made complete sense. Brandon put my old putter into the test tube that they have. It was wobbling all over the place. Then he put the Allan in the tester. It's very stable. It seems like Allan knows where the hole is and that's where he wants to send the ball. (It makes me think of Happy Gilmore trying to send the ball home.) This picture shows the difference in "hang" between the two putters. The two clubs definitely feel very different when swinging them. The Allan feels like it is working with you.

PXL_20240923_231603214.jpg.8449f14c48228b9943fbb4cbbae8a95b.jpg

Anyway, the fitting was great. We were out of the store in under and hour. Then the wait began. 6 days from the fitting until the club arrived at my door. It seemed longer than that because of the anticipation. Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with a turnaround of 6 days. They built the club to my specs and then it was shipped 1,700 miles to me. Well done PXG. My wife sent this picture to me while I was at work.

PXL_20240923_230529961.jpg.9ead4a8ace939b119b3e6300faf8141e.jpg

A non-descript box... But for those that know, it could only be one thing- The Allan had arrived! Let the unboxing begin!

PXGBoxonTableClipped.jpg.1af7439051adbe9995cbe0fe18229130.jpg

PXGBoxOpenedClipped.jpg.c2b697ab201b80ee1faedf9144b8f5e3.jpg

Now, here is where a bit of concern crept into my mind. I've seen the unboxing photos of the people that are testing the PXG irons. There are little dividers to hold the clubs in place during shipping. The above picture is exactly how I saw it when I first opened the box. Yes, the head of the putter is inside of the headcover, but there was nothing else in there to protect the club from moving around during shipping. I really felt that a $600 club would have been better protected. I felt like docking a point for this, but my wife said "Nothing happened to the club, so all is fine". OK, I'm still docking half of a point.

Here's a picture that shows the other items that were included in the box- two stickers and the invoice sheet were in a black envelope.

PXL_20240923_231234759.jpg.d2760484a1757ff10810737435f3b636.jpg

I took a few more pictures. I really like the look of the Allan.

PXL_20240923_231938335.jpg.e6013e275a2158f661eb5c1a827b2d11.jpgPXL_20240923_231918142.jpg.c878e54830cde3f90ccbc1d60d8fc39f.jpgPXL_20240923_231719313.jpg.62936cad0f548b1c9b2933206a5120f0.jpgPXL_20240923_231701250.jpg.1cf47b361f5a6c3bf98694e410fe1c10.jpg

I then threw a ball on the floor of the living room and looked for a target. I chose the wheel of a plant rack that was 15 feet away. I hit the wheel with both of the practice putts that I made. Then the phone rang and that was all of the time that I had to practice with the Allan for that evening. 100% accuracy from 15 feet? I'll take it!!!

I have a tee time for tomorrow afternoon at my favorite course!

Final score for the first impression? 9/10

Wow. Rough scoring lol.. still 9/10 is pretty good..

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

Wow. Rough scoring lol.. still 9/10 is pretty good..

🤣 Yeah, I can be tough sometimes. Honestly, 10/10 would be perfect. Has everything been absolutely perfect? Nope.

2 hours ago, VernL4 said:

🤣 Yeah, I can be tough sometimes. Honestly, 10/10 would be perfect. Has everything been absolutely perfect? Nope.

For sure.. There is always something that can be improved. 

Really hoping to get back out on the course again soon! maybe Friday afternoon for 9 again. 

I wanted to talk a min about feel. 

The Allen has some interesting feels to it. Both at impact and during the swing. I have used LAB putters before, and center shafted putters and very heel shafted full toe hang putters for that matter.. This has a different feel to it. I guess you could call it anti toe swing. The face really wants to stay square. I am not saying that is a good or bad thing. It is just a thing. I think that for some that could be a benefit, others it could be a bit of a feeling of fighting your natural stroke. 

At impact the feel of this putter is so unique, It is both milled and muted. I think that is a combo of the milling pattern on the face, and the hollow filled head tech. But I honestly love it. Even if I don't stay with the allen forever. I am interested in trying other PXG putters first as I really enjoy this feel. I am curious if their other models have the say feeling at impact. 

20 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

This has a different feel to it. I guess you could call it anti toe swing. The face really wants to stay square. I am not saying that is a good or bad thing. It is just a thing. I think that for some that could be a benefit, others it could be a bit of a feeling of fighting your natural stroke. 

^This! I have found I need to be intentional about placing my head directly over the ball when putting. This kind of forces me into a linear putting stroke. I guess I had gotten lackadaisical about that with my Odyssey. When I'm aligned with the ball and using the Allan, it just wants to go to the hole. When I'm not lined up over the ball I tend to swing in an "around the body arc" and occasionally miss the center a bit. Even with toe or heel strikes, the Allan still wants to deliver the ball towards the hole, providing a smaller miss.

Like all of golf, it's in the preparation and details of every shot.

12 minutes ago, TheOther1 said:

^This! I have found I need to be intentional about placing my head directly over the ball when putting. This kind of forces me into a linear putting stroke. I guess I had gotten lackadaisical about that with my Odyssey. When I'm aligned with the ball and using the Allan, it just wants to go to the hole. When I'm not lined up over the ball I tend to swing in an "around the body arc" and occasionally miss the center a bit. Even with toe or heel strikes, the Allan still wants to deliver the ball towards the hole, providing a smaller miss.

Like all of golf, it's in the preparation and details of every shot.

Just like you said, the prep and details of every shot.  this is what makes golf so great, everyone has to strive for perfection all the time. 

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

Well well well... I played a round on Wednesday, and I'm pretty sure Allan has already earned a permanent spot in my bag! (Further testing is still required, though. 😉) I'll give you the stat right now- 28 putts. (1.56 pph) That is well below my previous average of 2.1 pph. That's like saving 10 strokes in a round! I made putts of 12, 15, 18, & 24 feet. Many others only missed by a few inches. My wife even noticed. She said "It's like the ball is on rails going toward the hole". I had to work on not paying attention to the shaft of the club. I feel like the shaft is not straight down from the handle to the head. It's running on an angle (backwards) toward the center of the head. I will try to get a picture of that when I can. I think that's what made me feel like I needed to close the club a few degrees when I was doing the fitting. When I just focused on the head and the line along the top, the results were much better. Another difference from the Odyssey is how fast the ball leaves the face of the Allan. A few of my putts did fly by the hole, so I had to work on slowing down the speed of my swing. A few of the misses were on cross-slope putts, which are just terrible to read anyway. Even on those, Allan left me with short tap-ins. I had ZERO three-putts! All I can say now is WOW!   

3 minutes ago, VernL4 said:

Well well well... I played a round on Wednesday, and I'm pretty sure Allan has already earned a permanent spot in my bag! (Further testing is still required, though. 😉) I'll give you the stat right now- 28 putts. (1.56 pph) That is well below my previous average of 2.1 pph. That's like saving 10 strokes in a round! I made putts of 12, 15, 18, & 24 feet. Many others only missed by a few inches. My wife even noticed. She said "It's like the ball is on rails going toward the hole". I had to work on not paying attention to the shaft of the club. I feel like the shaft is not straight down from the handle to the head. It's running on an angle (backwards) toward the center of the head. I will try to get a picture of that when I can. I think that's what made me feel like I needed to close the club a few degrees when I was doing the fitting. When I just focused on the head and the line along the top, the results were much better. Another difference from the Odyssey is how fast the ball leaves the face of the Allan. A few of my putts did fly by the hole, so I had to work on slowing down the speed of my swing. A few of the misses were on cross-slope putts, which are just terrible to read anyway. Even on those, Allan left me with short tap-ins. I had ZERO three-putts! All I can say now is WOW!   

mighty impressive indeed.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

On 9/25/2024 at 1:08 PM, Quigleyd said:

Really hoping to get back out on the course again soon! maybe Friday afternoon for 9 again. 

im interested to know if you have used the ball picker upper on the putter?  If so,  i will assume it doesnt scuff the ball at all.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

14 minutes ago, bama no 1 said:

im interested to know if you have used the ball picker upper on the putter?  If so,  i will assume it doesnt scuff the ball at all.

I've used it a few times.  Just set the head on the ball and press slightly.  I think if you yanked the ball out, it COULD leave scuff marks.  I simply rotate the ball as I am removing it and it pops right out.  Excuse the socks...

29 minutes ago, bama no 1 said:

I've used it a few times. I have not noticed any scuffs of any sort.

Just now, VernL4 said:

I've used it a few times. I have not noticed any scuffs of any sort.

thank you for the feedback

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

3 minutes ago, TheOther1 said:

I've used it a few times.  Just set the head on the ball and press slightly.  I think if you yanked the ball out, it COULD leave scuff marks.  I simply rotate the ball as I am removing it and it pops right out.  Excuse the socks...

thanks for the feedback.  any chance you a have pro v1 to test against or any of the softer cover balls? i am not certain if kirkland has a suryln cover or urethane cover.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

1 minute ago, bama no 1 said:

thanks for the feedback.  any chance you a have pro v1 to test against or any of the softer cover balls? i am not certain if kirkland has a suryln cover or urethane cover.

Kirklands are urethane.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

1 minute ago, Shrek74 said:

Kirklands are urethane.

thanks for the info.   im fairly certain the ball aide wont scuff any balls regardless of the cover but i certainly want to keep any damage from a prov1 that i find in play as long as possible.  

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

23 minutes ago, bama no 1 said:

No Pro V1s, but I have a whole box of PXG Xtreme balls that have never been used.  They have a urethane cover.  No scuff or damage at all, even yanking the ball out instead of spinning it out.

Edited by TheOther1

19 minutes ago, TheOther1 said:

No Pro V1s, but I have a whole box of PXG Xtreme balls that have never been used.  They have a urethane cover.  No scuff or damage at all, even yanking the ball out instead of spinning it out.

Thanks a bunch, you are awesome!!!!!!

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

1 hour ago, bama no 1 said:

No. It works fine. No scuffing.

Time for some closeups! 

I have not had a lot of time to play around with the Allan yet, but it definitely has a unique feel.  It's not ping-y, but the "tock" sounds is brighter than you'd expect from the feel.  I'll try to evolve my description of that more clearly over time, but it is certainly unique.  

IMG_1905.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1915.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1920.jpeg

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

24 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Time for some closeups! 

I have not had a lot of time to play around with the Allan yet, but it definitely has a unique feel.  It's not ping-y, but the "tock" sounds is brighter than you'd expect from the feel.  I'll try to evolve my description of that more clearly over time, but it is certainly unique.  

IMG_1905.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1915.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1920.jpeg

Is that PXG putter grip still essentially rubber, like their other clubs, or is it a different material? It looks like basically all rubber.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

2 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Is that PXG putter grip still essentially rubber, like their other clubs, or is it a different material? It looks like basically all rubber.

Yes, rubber..

7 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Yes, full rubber.  They do have some PXG branded SuperStroke options too. 

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Time for some closeups! 

IMG_1905.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1915.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1920.jpeg

I really like the initial look of these putters!  The ball retrieval is interesting.  How hard to you have to press down for it to pick up?  Seems like if you have to press to hard it could be an issue on softer greens.

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

16 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I really like the initial look of these putters!  The ball retrieval is interesting.  How hard to you have to press down for it to pick up?  Seems like if you have to press to hard it could be an issue on softer greens.

I’d say a little firmer than the DF3, but nothing that I think would cause damage. 

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Time for some closeups! 

IMG_1905.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1915.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1920.jpeg

You are way better at taking pictures than me.