The Never-Ending Golf Gear Loop: Who’s Hooked?

Honestly, one of the best parts of golf for me is the constant tweaking and testing, especially when it comes to my driver. Maybe it's the researcher in me, but the whole cycle of having a bad round, diving into alternatives, finding something on Facebook Marketplace, picking it up, and taking it out for a round is just fun. Sure, it's a bit of a rabbit hole, but isn’t that half the enjoyment?

I'm curious how others experience this. How do you balance between trying something new and sticking with what works? Do you guys go straight to the fitting studio, or do you enjoy the tinkering like me, researching, testing, talking it out with friends?

Also, what’s your sign that something’s a keeper? For me, it’s that first good round when it just clicks. But I'd love to hear how long you usually give a club before deciding it’s staying in the bag for good.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone else’s gear journey!

5 minutes ago, Off Map Oscar said:

I'm a habitual tinkerer with everything I do and I want to try everything.  

Ah, love that! I'm the same way, I can't help but try out all the gear. Sometimes it's more fun to tinker and see where it leads.

Do you test it out first on the range or just take it right into a round?

They shoulda never given me adult money. I put a simulator in so I'm screwing with stuff almost daily. And thr local global golf affiliate has 3 sim bays. Sometimes I'll just get bored and go hit their demos and used stuff to see what happens. 

When I got the new vice irons I unwrapped them 5 min before leaving for my mens league round. I played them and did not do well 😆. Moving to players forged irons with graphite shafts from game improvement heavy steels took a bit to adapt to. 

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

10 minutes ago, Off Map Oscar said:

They shoulda never given me adult money. I put a simulator in so I'm screwing with stuff almost daily. And thr local global golf affiliate has 3 sim bays. Sometimes I'll just get bored and go hit their demos and used stuff to see what happens. 

When I got the new vice irons I unwrapped them 5 min before leaving for my mens league round. I played them and did not do well 😆. Moving to players forged irons with graphite shafts from game improvement heavy steels took a bit to adapt to. 

Haha, a home simulator? That’s living the dream! I bet it makes tinkering even more tempting, huh? How often are you swapping out clubs or messing with your swing in there? Sounds like you’ve got the ultimate playground for testing gear without even leaving the house.

Do you ever feel like what works in the sim doesn’t always show up the same on the course? I’m curious if having that instant feedback helps you settle on stuff quicker or if you still need those rounds on the course to really know.

I tinker with putters.  Deep down I know that they won't make that much difference in my game but I try them just because they have some new "tech" or look unique.    As one of the MGS most wanted testers I get to try all the equipment and know that new equipment won't provide any improvement so the rest of the bag is pretty safe for now.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 hours ago, DialedInDriver said:

Haha, a home simulator? That’s living the dream! I bet it makes tinkering even more tempting, huh? How often are you swapping out clubs or messing with your swing in there? Sounds like you’ve got the ultimate playground for testing gear without even leaving the house.

Do you ever feel like what works in the sim doesn’t always show up the same on the course? I’m curious if having that instant feedback helps you settle on stuff quicker or if you still need those rounds on the course to really know.

It's super cheap to build a sim. I've got a used flightscope now but had a garmin r10 first. Net and mat off Amazon paired to my old iPad and cast to the big screen I had in there already. You can get swining for less than 600 bucks.  

I play about 36 holes a day plus whatever club is giving me trouble I spend some time focusing on it. I should be better for how much I practice but alas golf is hard. 

I did start the season at a 26 handicap and now I have it down to a 10. I think the biggest benefit for me was understanding why things are happening. I'm very much a data junkie so it helps to see so many metrics and work on tweaking them. 

I'm on my 4th set of irons this year. 5th if you count my travel bag set. Having 2 full sets that are not very similar at all has shown me a lot about what tiny differences can make. 

20240921_184724.jpg.e10d69b19b512985a3310d741db45ef0.jpg20240921_184704.jpg.0c16383859c047814ea6f9dae70991ac.jpg

For example.  These 2 driver shafts are monumentally different in their launch. 

3 hours ago, Off Map Oscar said:

It's super cheap to build a sim. I've got a used flightscope now but had a garmin r10 first. Net and mat off Amazon paired to my old iPad and cast to the big screen I had in there already. You can get swining for less than 600 bucks.  

I play about 36 holes a day plus whatever club is giving me trouble I spend some time focusing on it. I should be better for how much I practice but alas golf is hard. 

I did start the season at a 26 handicap and now I have it down to a 10. I think the biggest benefit for me was understanding why things are happening. I'm very much a data junkie so it helps to see so many metrics and work on tweaking them. 

I'm on my 4th set of irons this year. 5th if you count my travel bag set. Having 2 full sets that are not very similar at all has shown me a lot about what tiny differences can make. 

20240921_184724.jpg.e10d69b19b512985a3310d741db45ef0.jpg20240921_184704.jpg.0c16383859c047814ea6f9dae70991ac.jpg

For example.  These 2 driver shafts are monumentally different in their launch. 

Sounds like you’re constantly refining and experimenting, which is exactly what makes the journey exciting! What part of the process keeps you hooked? the improvement you see in the data or that ‘aha!’ moment on the course when it all clicks?

On 9/21/2024 at 2:20 PM, cnosil said:

I tinker with putters.  Deep down I know that they won't make that much difference in my game but I try them just because they have some new "tech" or look unique.    As one of the MGS most wanted testers I get to try all the equipment and know that new equipment won't provide any improvement so the rest of the bag is pretty safe for now.

Man, I’m not gonna lie, I’m pretty jealous you get to be a tester for MGS! That’s like a dream gig for anyone who loves gear as much as we do. I bet it’s hard to resist picking up new stuff, even when you know deep down it might not change much.

Does testing all that gear impact what you end up buying? Like, do you feel more tempted to switch things up because of it? I’m sure there’s gotta be a piece or two that surprised you in the process. I’d love to hear how being a tester influences what makes it into your bag!

26 minutes ago, DialedInDriver said:

Does testing all that gear impact what you end up buying? Like, do you feel more tempted to switch things up because of it? I’m sure there’s gotta be a piece or two that surprised you in the process. I’d love to hear how being a tester influences what makes it into your bag!

Sure it impacts what I buy and in most cases don't buy.  My bag has been pretty set for a few years and new equipment isn't any better than what I have so I don't switch.   Basically if you can get on a launch monitor you can see that most new equipment isn't significantly better once you get things dialed in.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I subscribe to the "it's 95% archer and 5% arrow" axiom.  As such, I haven't fallen for the marketing bling and hype too much 😊.  I definitely enjoy trying new gear and do so every winter season during our demo days. As my current bag ages, tech will advance and I'll likely see enough opportunity to make the investment.

Having been fitted twice and pretty well dialed in my spec's, I don't think there is lots of gain to be had switching out clubs, shafts, and balls. But, my recent tests with the AI One Milled putter did show a potential SG over the now benched ER5v, and my index has improved since making the change. The ER5v offered a similar <1 SG improvement over my PING B61. So, I have to admit there is always some opportunity from technology... even if it's small.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

6 hours ago, DialedInDriver said:

Sounds like you’re constantly refining and experimenting, which is exactly what makes the journey exciting! What part of the process keeps you hooked? the improvement you see in the data or that ‘aha!’ moment on the course when it all clicks?

Rapid improvement is great. I've gotten substantially better. And I equate that with understanding what's happening and how I can improve. 

As normal for me I am 180* out on what most of you guys do. I experiment around with my vintage stuff. I go into the stash and say hmmm wonder if I can hit that? I have a lot of vintage stuff but have thinned the heard some. My signature stuff stays the same mostly. But in most folks eyes it is ancient because the newest model clubs in the bag are the 58* wedge and Cally driver and they are both 10 years old. The only "modern" set I own is a set of 2014 TP TM CBs with Steelfiber shafts. LOL yesterday I played a strictly vintage round and the newest club in the bag was my 1972 Ping Anser putter. Rest of the stuff was 50s and 60s. Used to be I could grab an empty bag and go from there on the vintage stuff. Now days I have to check to see what shaft I have in a club because some of the stiffer stuff I cannot hit or even try to hit anymore. But it is all fun for me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

Sure it impacts what I buy and in most cases don't buy.  My bag has been pretty set for a few years and new equipment isn't any better than what I have so I don't switch.   Basically if you can get on a launch monitor you can see that most new equipment isn't significantly better once you get things dialed in.  

For me that is the truth. One of my buds in the league is a fitter at the PGASS and knows his stuff. I was stoked on the new TM Q series of drivers because at address the resemble the driver never made as in a V-Steel driver. I went up there one day and tested the Q-I series different shafts and all against my old Cally Alpha. Even with different shafts the numbers were right on between the 2. My bud told me he was in the business of selling clubs but he is honest too. He told me two things--- To keep my money in my pocket and the Cally in my bag. But then again I am different than most folks and if I really love a club it is hard to get it out of my bag

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

I am a tinkerer.  I don't necessarily buy things all the time but do spend a ton of time in stores messing around with different options. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

I came back to golf after a multiple season hiatus with a back injury.

This resulted in an absolutely abnormal year for expenditure on golf equipment.
I bought stuff, changed my mind, bought more stuff, rinse and repeat.

I'd never done this before, and don't ever expect to do it again.

There's one putter presently in field testing mode that I will strongly consider when it's released.
Other than that, I'm probably good.

I am like a three year old seeing that new shiny toy.  I am always wheeling and dealing and trying new things.  My wife gets so agrivated.  I am a high handicapper and know the clubs are not going to make that much difference in my game but I just love trying new or different brands and models.  I seem if I get a club I really like I have to try everything that brand makes to see if the rest is that good.  Example I have a bag totally PXG that I like.  My other bag is mixed.  I wanted to try some Titleist irons so picked up a set of t300 and after playing just one round with them I now have a new TSR 2 driver and a TSR 2 hybrid as well as a Titleist cart bag.  With new models of Titleist woods out now the last year models are going cheap enough for me to try them.  My third set of irons is Srixon which I like but after trying several models I am not a fan of their woods.  Now sitting here healing from a new hip I thought hey I never really have tried Ping irons.  🙄.  Make it stop!!!!

Edited by Barkerbob

Speaking of tinkering. 

Yesterday before my round I was warming up on my simulator and was hitting great drives. Flipped over to the Trajectory Optimizer in flight scope and it said my dynamic loft could come up some. So I added 1.5 deg to my driver and low and behold. Another 10 yards of carry. I also threw a full set of mid size aligns on thr whole bag to see if I like them more than the standard size mcc+4 I had been running. Regripping with air and hairspray is so easy it's hard not to try different grips all the time🤣

Next set will be lamkin wrap calibrate.

20240925_101920.jpg

20240925_102005.jpg

20240925_102015.jpg

At this point of my golf journey, I will try anything and everything. I only really started playing seriously last year after years of doing the occasional scramble that I would get invited to through work.

I did all my research and went and bought clubs from Callaway pre-owned. After having them for about a year, I stumbled upon an A wedge that I loved. I then realized that the wedge was a senior flex. After hitting a ton of different clubs at the local Golfmart, I put my ego aside and bought a used set to match the A wedge. I've just come to accept that I don't/can't swing fast enough to use regular flex and that I'm always going to hit shorter than almost anyone I golf with. I'm hoping that my lessons and garage simulator will get me to a better place with my game.

If I didn't hit all those different clubs, my game would be struggling much worse than it is. I also discovered during that time that there was such things as an 11 wood which is now my favorite club in my bag.

I've also come to find out that I really enjoy re-gripping clubs so I buy the cheapies from Amazon and change mine it several times a year to try different ones.

Edited by schooner44

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max D driver

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Paradym X 3 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue 7 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue 11 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

default_taylormade-small.jpg.b0f650a8eb8b3219e3f783d396bd8458.jpgTaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56)

default_cameron-small.gif.9b09797f71363f07049fccfe79b6b243.gifScotty Cameron Select Roundback

default_volvik-small.jpg.4484ce7bf19bc5b085f2fdccba75cde9.jpgVolvik Vivid balls

default_srixon-small.jpg.bf3ca25d7610490303deb7f6cdf80802.jpgSrixon Q-Star Divide balls

7 minutes ago, Off Map Oscar said:

I swung a 9 wood the other day. Had never seen one before. 11 is crazy. What's the loft?

It has a 25 degree loft. The used set I bought didn't have a 5 iron so there would've been a huge gap between the 6 iron and my 4 hybrid. This basically replaced a 5 iron for me I liked it so much I kept going back to golfmart to look for the same clubs (original Callaway Rogue) in other lofts...ended up finding a 7 wood to go with it. The 7 wood is probably my 2nd favorite club. I don't even carry my 4 hybrid anymore...I hit out of the rough with the 7 or 11 wood. I keep looking for a matching 9 wood but no luck so far.

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max D driver

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Paradym X 3 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue 7 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue 11 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

default_taylormade-small.jpg.b0f650a8eb8b3219e3f783d396bd8458.jpgTaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56)

default_cameron-small.gif.9b09797f71363f07049fccfe79b6b243.gifScotty Cameron Select Roundback

default_srixon-small.jpg.bf3ca25d7610490303deb7f6cdf80802.jpgSrixon Q-Star Divide balls

I'm not great with a five iron so I'm babying a hybrid between 180 and 205 a lot. I might try to find a wood to fit that gap. 

My rough is way to high here to use most woods out of it.  I still only get partial contact with a hybrid and irons I have to some in pretty steep. Something to think about for sure. 

8 hours ago, Off Map Oscar said:

I'm not great with a five iron so I'm babying a hybrid between 180 and 205 a lot. I might try to find a wood to fit that gap. 

My rough is way to high here to use most woods out of it.  I still only get partial contact with a hybrid and irons I have to some in pretty steep. Something to think about for sure. 

I used to think the idea of using a fairway wood out of the rough was insane but I decided to try it. I've played around with it and I put the ball a little back in my stance and hit it like a hooded iron. I obviously don't get the distance but I pretty much can always get it onto the short stuff. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can lol.

Edited by schooner44

I love to test and tinker with equipment, but I have been trying to do less of it lately. As my daughter is almost 3 I find myself with less and less free time to test and tinker with golf gear. Plus my bag is pretty set for now, I have said that before, but my driver and fairway wood have been working really well lately and I think I'm set on shafts for those clubs which is where I have been tinkering with most lately. 

I'm constantly back and forth with the two drivers I own, one (Callaway Epic Flash) that I have had since December 2018, and a newer one (PXG Gen 6) that I have had since June of last year. Not only do I switch which one is in play, but I am constantly changing the adapter settings and position of the sliding weight on the Callaway, and, having a full weight kit, adding subtracting and moving the weights around on the PXG. I also constantly have an itch for something new, especially irons, but being retired and not having the funds to support that itch limit how often I "scratch it", so to speak.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: Callaway Apex CF19 with UST Recoil F2 shafts
Wedges: Callaway MD5 54° and 58° with KBS steel shafts.
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet or Toulon Portland
Ball:  Currently Bridgestone Tour B RX Mindset

What is this tinkering that you speak of....?

If it means constantly trying new clubs or always at a golf store, well I may have to join this club. Ha

I rotate clubs depending on the weather conditions.  Yesterday I pulled the 4w and added the mini just so I could attack two holes differently.  Most recent tinker is waiting on my new jumbomax grips to arrive.  

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

Hooked and no intention on quitting!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)