Do you take gimme's or putt out every hole?

If my partner says it's good I generally take it. We don't give puts for birdie though. Generally I have enough to feel bad about during a round, I don't need to add missed a 3 footer to the list, also it speeds things up a bit if our group is lagging.

Like a bunch of other responses, it depends.  During a competition, putt everything out.  During league play, putt out unless there is a gimme (the league I sub in periodically is very slow).  During regular play, sometimes but especially if the hole was a “blowup” hole and we are holding up other golfers.  Hey, shhhtuff happens right?!

Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

1 minute ago, RetiredBoomer said:

If it's match play competition,
and you're not playing against other people who are out on the course, 
conceding putts is part of the game.

Fair enough, I get the gamesmanship in match play.  

Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

Automatic gimmes in our group got completely out of hand. Now we putt everything out. Surprising how many short misses occur. Also, except for match play, there is no official acceptance of a "gimme". Don't want to be a total jerk, but the first time someone "gives" themself a putt, I will jokingly assess the two stroke penalty. Usually, that's all it takes.

5 hours ago, silver & black said:

I take them in league play when offered. I take them when my brother tells me to pick it up during our weekend round. I will not take a gimme from 3'... or for a bird, in any circumstance.

Similar.  We keep a ringer card amongst the Saturday perm scores.  All new ringers MUST be finished, but in-the-leatherish puts that are already rung can be scraped.  In league it is the option of my opponent though we are all "sworn" to protect the field as far as skins go.

Generally speaking, there is no enforcement once someone gets to 8 or 9 strokes.

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

Like most, i putt everything out, unless it’s match play, and even then i sometimes roll it just for the heck of it. I need the practice on everything😂

i also used to golf with some friends that gave each other pretty much everything within 5-6 feet, with the justification that they always make them. However, anytime they had to putt out they missed anything over 2’. It drove me bonkers, so I probably have reacted to the other extreme.

Edited by MuniGolfer

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex Maltby MPF UL or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Callaway Chrome Tour

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I truly don't feel there is a right or wrong answer here. 

So I will start wtih what I do - I started to play a lot more tournament golf this year and with that we have to putt out everything unless you get a strike (most tournaments are stableford format). Because of that I now putt out everything, even when a player says it's good I still putt it out. It does make me feel good to do that and knowing that I am making the short ones because in tournaments I have missed those and it adds to the confidence. 

This is my reasoning why, so what do you do and what's your reasoning?

I putt them out most of the time. If I am going to post my score, I ALWAYS hole-out on every hole and if I am playing in matchplay I refuse to accept "gimmes" for birdie (or the occasional eagle putt).  In addition, I finish my round and putt-out on every remaining hole if I have won the match prior to the 18th hole.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

Since I play in the VGA, I putt everything out even on friendly rounds and practice rounds.  I don't want to make the mistake of picking one up and getting a max score for the hole

Sim2 MaxD, Cobra F7 3W, Ping G400 5W, Ping G425 7W, Ping G410 5-UW, Volkey SM-9 54,58, Taylormade Spider Tour (this changes periodically)

That may or may not be good or bad.

I like to putt everything out. However, for pace of play purposes, I will accept a gimme rather than marking if I would be stepping in someone's line. If I have a really good round going I'll putt out everything.

WITB

Ping G15 9*, Wilson F5 fairways and hybrids, Cobra forged one length 4-GW

Vokey 52* and 56* wedges, Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna 2 flatstick