Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Putting problems

Playing on mini verde greens it is very difficult to play more spee less break, we have some very fast greens, and while on an uphill 4-6 footer you can be aggressive, but when you have the squirrelly downhill 4-6 footer you have to be very careful, with grain and the undulations in the greens, thou could end up with a 10 footer coming back if you get too aggressive with the short ones. I really putted well today so I hope I can keep that going, I really feel like the major issue with my putting has been hitting the correct line, or rather missing the correct line, by that I mean, aiming what I think is 2 balls left of the cup, and the actual line I was hitting was more like 4-5 balls left, so I am really trying to focus on the putting to make sure I am hitting the correct line

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I think a lot of it is practicing too (as cliche as that sounds). I've put way more effort on the practice green than at the driving range. That has helped me big time. You teach your mind, your eyes and your hands what to do and I tend to not second guess it. I look at it, walk up to it and by the time I make it to the ball, I've got a fairly good idea what I am going to do. 

I like the exercise where you put balls around a hole about 4 to 6 feet away in a "T" like formation and try to make all 4 putts in a row. You get the ball break left/ right putts and the downhill/ uphill putts to make. If I make all 4, I go to another hole and do the same. If I miss 1, I redo all of them. And if I'm having a very good practice round, I go to 10-15 ft or more and try again but not really try to make those putts like I practice lag putting.

Course here opens tomorrow. I cannot wait to finally hit the real course and this weekend its the demo day. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

For me, a lot of the time missing a line or inconsistency with it comes from alignment issues.  Just something to check when you get a chance.

Playing on mini verde greens it is very difficult to play more spee less break, we have some very fast greens, and while on an uphill 4-6 footer you can be aggressive, but when you have the squirrelly downhill 4-6 footer you have to be very careful, with grain and the undulations in the greens, thou could end up with a 10 footer coming back if you get too aggressive with the short ones. I really putted well today so I hope I can keep that going, I really feel like the major issue with my putting has been hitting the correct line, or rather missing the correct line, by that I mean, aiming what I think is 2 balls left of the cup, and the actual line I was hitting was more like 4-5 balls left, so I am really trying to focus on the putting to make sure I am hitting the correct line

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so a couple weekends ago I was sitting watching the final match of the women's ncaa golf championships, Stanford vs Baylor, it was an excellent match, the girl from Baylor took a 2 up lead thru 16, Stanford birdied 17, 18, and won with par on the first playoff hole. What was very interesting about it was that she had about a 20 foot putt on 18 to extend the match. When I saw it couldn't believe what've saw, then the showed it again in slow motion, what was it you ask, she putted and made the putt with both eyes closed. She lines up the putt, looked at the hole looked down at the ball, closed her eyes and struck the putt, I have done this while practicing, but never whole playing. Not sure if I want to try this or not, I don't know that I could putt much worse if I wasn't looking at times.

I have never tried this, but I can understand why it works. If you've read the putt correctly and lined up the putter, then let feel take over. I'm thinking you have to get a feel for how had to hit it, so practice on the green you're playing would be critical.

I've seen many tour pros miss putts that should have been made because they looked up before completing their stroke. This guarantees no look!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sounds like the same concept as looking at the hole as you putt.  Works great on the putting green, have yet to try it on the course.  

Reason for that, is I think it looks kind of weird.  But closing the eyes, with sunglasses on, who's to know??  May try it.  Those 4-5 footers are my one putting weakness.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Sounds like the same concept as looking at the hole as you putt.  Works great on the putting green, have yet to try it on the course.  

Reason for that, is I think it looks kind of weird.  But closing the eyes, with sunglasses on, who's to know??  May try it.  Those 4-5 footers are my one putting weakness.

You've played with me a couple of times. Did you notice that I look at the hole?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Like others have said, practice, practice, practice. Easy for me, no wife, kids.

Yes I work full time and school full time, but i have a putting mat in my room and the living room, use it during tv shows or in between video games/ studying. 

I nailed down a routine that works for me. Whatever you change you have to fully commit right- and boy has it been a trial.

I have one speed for putting stroke, I always look at the ball through impact and have what looks to me like a straight back straight through stroke.

I have three putting stances depending on distances.

1- feet within hip width, ball middle of the stance. 

2- feet outside of hip, ball middle of the stance

3- feet outside of hip, ball of left heel.

I am averaging 37.2 putts per round right now based off 132 rounds- yes that's 11 per month- sometimes my only saving grace. I didn't read all the thread, but sometimes its that C word ( no not that one  :D ), confidence- every time I step on the green I am thinking 1 putt.

- Funny side note, my friend who copied my method and was borrowing my Scotty Cameron Futura- the original nearly beat me and he was putting light outs. Asked for it back several times during the round. When i do get it back, might burn it so it can never be used against me.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

You've played with me a couple of times. Did you notice that I look at the hole?

Of course, and so does one of the guys I regularly play with.  Its just me, the same reason I wouldn't hit a square driver, or any wood over a 5 wood, or yellow golf balls, or super sized game improvement irons or brush tees or belly putters or iron covers, etc.  My idiosyncrasy.

I do practice on the carpet at home all week long I also go to the putting green when I can, I don't seem to have much issue there, but when I am standing over the 4 footer when it counts, I just can't seem to find the line, or the speed. I may take a good line and miss the speed, or might have good speed and miss my intended line.

Last week though, my setup was incorrect. And I missed a lot of short ones, I have practiced this week on it, and hopefully have found the issue, we shall see over the weekend.

I do practice on the carpet at home all week long I also go to the putting green when I can, I don't seem to have much issue there, but when I am standing over the 4 footer when it counts, I just can't seem to find the line, or the speed. I may take a good line and miss the speed, or might have good speed and miss my intended line.

Last week though, my setup was incorrect. And I missed a lot of short ones, I have practiced this week on it, and hopefully have found the issue, we shall see over the weekend.

What are your feet doing? I find myself flaring my left toe which throughs me off. This is especially easy for me to overlook when under pressure. 

I prefer square putters for that reason- blades, why i often struggle with mallots. 

I draw a ball mark that is unique so that when I line up the ball I have to stare at that ball mark throughout the putt. Might be useful to develop your routine or define what your routine is.

mine for example is set putter down, aim with sight line, address ball, feet & putter face perpendicular to line, stare at the ball mark, make putting strooke. Forces me to keep my focus and blocks out anyother thoughts that may creep in.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Sounds like you need a routine that completely takes your mind off the putt. I treat every putt the same way with the same routine after missing a two footer years ago. Long story short I tried under thinking the putt, basically avoiding setting up so that the pressure didn't mount. I missed it, and the guy I played with said you rushed through it. I've learned to do the same routine, and the pressure doesn't get as bad. It will still be there but my routine allows me to know I've set up ok, my line is good, just let the putter swing and I'll be ok.

When I miss putts regularly or go through a bad spell it's usually something out of whack that requires a few practice sessions with a mirror and the iPing app and I can figure out. My advice still stands develop a routine and practice with the routine and fix any issues away from the course.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I had been putting pretty good the last few rounds before last week, I think the issue was alignment, or rather mis-alignment, and then trying to guide the ball to the hole instead if putting the ball to the hole.

I had been putting pretty good the last few rounds before last week, I think the issue was alignment, or rather mis-alignment, and then trying to guide the ball to the hole instead if putting the ball to the hole.

I think I read somewhere that you like to carpet putt a little bit at home..what kind of drills and/or practice are you doing?

Four footers and forty footers are the only putts you need to practice FYI everything else is feel. Practicing 20 footers is a waste of time.

I think I read somewhere that you like to carpet putt a little bit at home..what kind of drills and/or practice are you doing?

Four footers and forty footers are the only putts you need to practice FYI everything else is feel. Practicing 20 footers is a waste of time.

I agree, but only if you are a decent putter already.  

When I started playing 24 years ago, I was the worst putter ever.  For probably 5 years I was putting and praying, with poor speed being the killer.  That's no way to putt.  For someone like me back then, I would say that 20-footers are very important.  This is the range that we should all be able to 2-putt 98% of the time, but it was easy for me to 3-putt, and that made me angry.  I spent a lot of time practicing 20-footers.  I think that range improves feel for the green speed and 2-putting those 20-footers improved my confidence.

After a lot of practice and finding the right putter for me, I will say that putting is one of my strengths.  Some days are better than others though.   ^_^

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Looking at tour averages (safe to say best putters in the world)

Inside of 5' the best players make 98%

From 15-25' the best players make 25%

Pretty safe to say amateurs numbers would be half that? Hey if you want to keep working on 20 footers because you think it's helping your game, go for it. We don't have 8 hours a day to work on our games, so might as well maximize what limited practice times we have.

Ok, so a couple weekends ago I was sitting watching the final match of the women's ncaa golf championships, Stanford vs Baylor, it was an excellent match, the girl from Baylor took a 2 up lead thru 16, Stanford birdied 17, 18, and won with par on the first playoff hole. What was very interesting about it was that she had about a 20 foot putt on 18 to extend the match. When I saw it couldn't believe what've saw, then the showed it again in slow motion, what was it you ask, she putted and made the putt with both eyes closed. She lines up the putt, looked at the hole looked down at the ball, closed her eyes and struck the putt, I have done this while practicing, but never whole playing. Not sure if I want to try this or not, I don't know that I could putt much worse if I wasn't looking at times.

I tried this today.  Five footer.  Lined it up, practice stroke.  Stepped up, closed my eyes and did it.  The putt did go in, I heard it.  But it was actually a scary feeling trying it.  May keep the technique in the back pocket for one of those can't make a thing days.  Not sure I'd like doing that all the time.

Pretty safe to say amateurs numbers would be half that? Hey if you want to keep working on 20 footers because you think it's helping your game, go for it. We don't have 8 hours a day to work on our games, so might as well maximize what limited practice times we have.

I am sure that you don't need to work on 20' putts. What I was saying is that beginners and people that struggle with speed control will certainly benefit from practicing 20' putts to eliminate 3-putts. Once the feel is achieved, then other practice is more beneficial to their game.

Normally 20 footers wouldn't be an issue, but when I have been putting so poorly, lagging from 20 feet can be very important. I don't generally have too many 40 footers, maybe 1 per round, but what I do have are about 7 or 8, 20 footers, and about 7 of 8, 4 footers. Why would a spend time on 40 foot putts in this situation. I do hit some 40 footers on the practice green, but I don't spend a bunch of time on them. I spend the majority of my putting time on 4 to 5 footers, then some time on 15-20 footers. What I need to work on is knocking the 20 footer close enough to eliminate the need to even putt the next one.

Archived