I find this very interesting.  Until BB started this post, I was unaware that there was a dominant hand theory of swinging a club.  I've been reading all the threads that have sprung from this one with great interest, and will certainly be looking at those books that RP mentions because, I have to say, I've been struggling with accuracy - getting the darn face and path to be where I need it to be at contact.  

I went to the range today to try it again, and wow.  what a revelation.  I've never before been able to send ball after ball right down my target line, from gap right up through five.  Four was a little tricky with some block fades, but hybrid and 3W were just like hitting a 7i.  The only club I haven't figured out yet is the driver, and I do okay with that with a traditional passive-arm swing.

Forgive me for sounding naive, but I've only been playing a few years, and when a newbie like me finds something he hasn't seen before, it's like Christmas morning.

Dude, who is "Rock," who's put out a few vid's basically his take one Lee's grip and a few others. Is he a protege?

My Best,

Richard

He visited lee and took lessons from him. . And was his main guy .. A great player .. Great player .

Bomber, I can't say I'm sure I get it, but it sure is hard to put this game into words.  I will keep working at it for sure, because while I've learned a lot from the instructors I've had, and for sure, they helped me knock about 25 strokes off my score, I've really hit a wall because I am just not accurate enough, and the results I've seen in one round and a bucket at the range lead me to think that this could help me break through  several more strokes each round.

Thanks for this thread!!!

So he's sort of like Dan Shauger or Jaacob were to Mike Austin?

Do you watch his vids?

Regards,

Richard

Yep , we text daily..about a dozen times.. He does a lot of his own stuff. But I love picking his brain on the slam of the club and how to go out and just play the game. We also share swings on the skypro.. Learned a lot from rock

Yep , we text daily..about a dozen times.. He does a lot of his own stuff. But I love picking his brain on the slam of the club and how to go out and just play the game. We also share swings on the skypro.. Learned a lot from rock

Rock is all about playing the game, not caring about look. But results on the score card..which is the attitude we should all have

Rock is all about playing the game, not caring about look. But results on the score card..which is the attitude we should all have

This!! I have had a great swing for a couple of years, but guess what? The object of a swing is to put the face at impact at a specific angle and trajectory, and my resulting ball flight ain't always so pretty, so I don't care what I look like as long as I can reproduce it and put the ball where I want it to go.

The swing pics below are of, first, Lee Comeux, then, of course Ben, pupil/protege Rock & another student, Karl. And no, aside from Dave stating as much, those shaft positions were not created by a right-hand slap, LMAO.

What did create those positions in your opinion?

I can only speak for myself and my experience in trying on this swing.  I only recorded one swing of mine, DTL unfortunately, with this swing, so I have no freeze frames of shaft position to demonstrate whether I can create similar shaft positions with a right hand slap.  What i can say is that the contact was very good, ball flight a slight draw.

Anyway, I have no idea what those golfers were doing when those shots were taken, but I would also say that I believe that those positions can be created with an active right arm/hand. 

I agree completely that all the ingredients are required. Lee absolutely rotates, albeit less so than others. There is a video of him uncorking a drive in which his left shoulder gets under the chin & the shaft is like Sadlowski's at the top.

Good stuff rich.. And yes timing is involved. I have had good and bad says so far.. But the bad days were never as bad when I tried to hold angles or make lag. The biggie is finding your own personal low point. And than basically the ball just gets in the way

I will not argue some things.  Lee Comeaux, as I stated before, knocks the crap out of the golf ball but is not exactly the best at explaining anything.  If you watch his video on iron construction you begin to wonder if perhaps some people are planning on taking him away for his own safety.  There were a couple of more where he was driving down the road and I am not sure what he was talking about.   However, I have not only read everything about this I could find in the last week, but watched all his videos, and other's videos and tried this swing for myself.  I took some video today, just as it began to rain, and sadly, I was not centered in the camera so I did not get everything in the frame.  Cut my own head off.  But I was able to determine some things from this video.

Of course, whole body has to work together to generate the proper swing.  Of course there are some elements of both in every swing, or at least elements that are common to both.  Of course everything has to be in the proper sequence or it is a wasted effort.  Lee plainly says, as plainly as he ever gets, that he turns the right shoulder to get it back out of the way, and he starts the swing with a thrust of the right shoulder.  He states that the power is generated by unfolding the right arm and feeling like you slap the sole of the club under the ball with the right hand.  Of course since all ten fingers are wrapped around the club from the beginning of the swing to the end of the swing, the hands actually to nothing, it is the unfolding of the right arm and uncocking of the wrist cause "The Feeling of slapping the sole of the club into the ground underneath the ball with the right hand."

As far of the attached images of Lee where someone has written something under them, in my opinion, based on my limited time (one week) with this swing, I would say the writing is complete rubbish.  I find the very idea of thinking that you can tell in those pictures, and determine if he is pushing with his right hand or pulling with is left hand ludicrous. 

post-6741-0-46174900-1396298051.jpg

Please note that whomever has said this, says that the shaft bend is not caused by focal plane distortion, yet, in the very next image states that is caused by focal plain distortion.  Did they move the focal plane?  Is this a different camera?  Or is he presenting pure poppycock to support his argument?

post-6741-0-79299700-1396298064.jpg 

What is written down is absolutely not what he says he is doing, nor is it what I feel I am doing during the swing, and nor what the video I have taken show me what I am doing.  They are basing their opinion on how the shaft is bent in that particular frame, and then go on to claim in the last picture that the forward bent shaft could be from focal plane distortion.  I say that all of the shaft bends are caused by the torque being applied to the end of the shaft.  There is no way to determine by looking at a still photo of if he is pushing or pulling the shaft.  They have added their writing to support their arguments but are really just making it up.

If you look closely at the last picture, the ball is gone, but the left hand and right hand are still oriented to where if there was a straight shaft in them, the butt would still be leading the head of the club or at least in line with. 

After a week of this and finally working out the details, I would say, this swing with the irons is a 3/4 shoulder turn and a forward swing at 3/4 speed, the body turn by itself does not generate enough speed to cause much if any shaft bend.  As the right arm reaches full extension just before impact, (Note that the club head does not pass the butt until after impact.) the uncocking of the wrist adds a significant amount to the swing speed.  Having done this myself, I know, with out having to read it, that the right arm does in fact add to the swing speed when you do this this correctly.

Actually the shaft bend when the shaft is horizontal will be real. When the shaft is close to vertical the camera will distort it into that bend. The camera stores the pixels line by line from the top down. There is a time difference between when it stores the pixels near the grip and the ones near the club head, enough time for the club to have traveled several inches creating that effect. When the shaft is halfway down, near horizontal, the entire shaft is captured at nearly the same instant showing its true bend at that moment. That's why he said there wasn't likely focal plane distortion in that pic but most likely was there in the other one.

Actually the shaft bend when the shaft is horizontal will be real. When the shaft is close to vertical the camera will distort it into that bend. The camera stores the pixels line by line from the top down. There is a time difference between when it stores the pixels near the grip and the ones near the club head, enough time for the club to have traveled several inches creating that effect. When the shaft is halfway down, near horizontal, the entire shaft is captured at nearly the same instant showing its true bend at that moment. That's why he said there wasn't likely focal plane distortion in that pic but most likely was there in the other one.

Ok. Was the forward bend because he pushed with the right hand or pulled with the left.