Golf Digest - The Obsolete List

Golf Digest's - The Obsolete List

Very interesting read. Most of their ratings are pretty spot on, with a few exceptions of course.

Full disclosure - I work for a company that is in the business of selling the latest and greatest

in golf equipment, but I tend to lean towards the side of 'NEW' doesn't always equal 'BETTER'.

Show me a Callaway C4 driver and I will tell you "that's obsolete!" But a set of Cleveland TA5 irons from 2002, far from being obsolete!

Enjoy!

Kevin

Adams Idea Pro irons in the Half full means it's time to at least start looking??? WRONG!!!!!!

Those irons came with the best hybrids in the game. The irons are a great forged cavity. that rating is a big mistake.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

The writer never explained what, why or how. He didn't even quote an authority for his position so that leaves me with the suspicion that it all came out of his head.

It's a fair suspicion that old clubs with old technology are not necessarily suitable for the modern game. However, other than the shafts, plating and the grooves, what actually wears out in a set of old irons ? There is the idea that old steel shafts become softer with age. The opposite is also suspected and " work hardening " is cited as the rationale. The plating is obvious to the eye and the grooves can be judged by a thumb or finger but there are so many sets out there that were never used all that much and spent their lives waiting for someone to use them.

I'm using new clubs these days but more for bragging rights at the clubhouse and the range. I still have my old clubs and bring them out on occassion if only to remember and feel again. I think I can feel the difference in the grooves but that's about it.

Shambles

This is a marketing ploy, pure and simple. The turn over of clubs keeps the market going, and their big OEM advertisers I am sure have a had in the ratings and turn overs. I have never put any faith in this list. My good friend Bob plays a 1991 set of Dynacrafts, and he is 2 handicap, and says he would never switch clubs. I ever offered him a round with my R7s, and he still plays better with the old clubs. I think a lot has to do with the indivual person.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

This is a marketing ploy, pure and simple. The turn over of clubs keeps the market going, and their big OEM advertisers I am sure have a had in the ratings and turn overs. I have never put any faith in this list. My good friend Bob plays a 1991 set of Dynacrafts, and he is 2 handicap, and says he would never switch clubs. I ever offered him a round with my R7s, and he still plays better with the old clubs. I think a lot has to do with the indivual person.

I agree. Newer never means better play for many people. It is always the indian and less the arrow. Also, what brand works for one does not mean it will work for someone else. I know everyone points to Adams for hybrids but I could not hit them good when I bought a pair so I sold them but that does not mean they are bad clubs, they were just bad for me and my swing.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Here is another for instance, I would never play this, but people will buy and play this, for sure. Golf Smith is selling it.

003_killerbee.gif

Killer Bee NC300 Driver

Normal new woods may add a few yards, but the NC300 Driver sends your tee shots so far that everyone will notice. The secret? A super-hot face and extra-lightweight shaft. Caution: out driving your friends may become habit-forming. Non-conforming with USGA rules.

killerbee.jpg

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

EHHH... The first thing that makes it suspect is that it comes from Golf Digest. Their "hot list" is nothing but advertising for the companies that buy pages and pages of space in the mag. Telling you your clubs are obsolete is just their way of saying "Go buy new clubs so the manufacturer can put more money in our pockets".

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I think driver technology has maxed out, I have an ft-5 10 with a proforce v2 shaft, at a recent ping demo day I tried the g-15 10.5 with the ust avixcore shaft and both clubs went the exact same distance with similar ball flight, forgiveness was about the same as well

Only difference was in the feel, g-15 FELT like it went furher and was hotter but the distance was the same. My 2005 Cleveland launcher actually goes further than my ft-5 but it's wild and can't be tamed, the ft-5 is a hell of alot straighter, fair bit to do with the shaft as well.

No science or launch monitor stats behind my claim, I just think technology has reached the point it cant really go any further within the rules and everything is just marketing hype to convince you otherwise.

I actually bought this issue of Golf Digest which has some really good articles in it but the one thing that I do not like about the obsolete list is the lack of descriptions/reasons why. Especially when they compare 05 irons to 08 irons... But never the less I agree with the fact that it is a marketing ploy just to get people to fall into all the new technology now a days.

WITB

Taylormade Light Stand Bag

Titleist 913 D3 8.5 X-Stiff Diamana Whiteboard D+72

Titleist 910 F 15 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik Black Tie 8M3

3 Iron Adams Super DHY 21 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik White Tie Altus HX3

4-PW Mizuno MP32s Project X 6.5 

50,54,58 Titleist Vokey Spin Milled + SM4 DG S300

Nike Method Putter

I actually bought this issue of Golf Digest which has some really good articles in it but the one thing that I do not like about the obsolete list is the lack of descriptions/reasons why. Especially when they compare 05 irons to 08 irons... But never the less I agree with the fact that it is a marketing ploy just to get people to fall into all the new technology now a days.

And the list isn't very long either

WITB

Taylormade Light Stand Bag

Titleist 913 D3 8.5 X-Stiff Diamana Whiteboard D+72

Titleist 910 F 15 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik Black Tie 8M3

3 Iron Adams Super DHY 21 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik White Tie Altus HX3

4-PW Mizuno MP32s Project X 6.5 

50,54,58 Titleist Vokey Spin Milled + SM4 DG S300

Nike Method Putter

It's right up there among the worng golf related articles ever written. Drivers maybe I can understand. Fairways, hybrids and irons no. If the grooves are still sharp enough they'll work. My irons I'm told either came out late 80s or early 90's. My fairway is an old Titliest PT. Will going into a pro shop and dropping $1000 to update automaticaly mean I'm going to go out and drop my score by a couple of shots a round. I think not.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I agree, the issue is a good read, but that list is a joke. I love the fact they don't tell you why they are obsolete.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Archived