What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Range practice was solid today, though my 6i and 5i need to be regripped. Since I may be holding off on new irons until after the Tour Striker test, I will regrip them and be happy with the irons for now. Wedge practice was really solid today, the SM10s are coming alive. Putting practice was good. My line is getting better. Still working through distances but it's coming along. All in all, a solid day of practice in preparation for the upcoming testing days!

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :vice: Pro Air

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

Day 231 (04 Sep 24) - Easy day with 7i - focused on setup and downswing hitting into net.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Instead of playing outdoors on an absolutely perfect day in NE Ohio, I went indoors and used xgolf for  practice.  Starting to have a bifurcation of upper half and lower half.  Need to re-sync the swing and reduce the dispersion.  Did that for about 45 minutes then decided to throw all that work away and play 36 holes in the next hour.  In all actuality, it was a good golf session even if the scores did not reflect it.  Got a bunch “swing speed training” in, worked out some body turn issues and found my control limits.  Then I went to the archery range for some focus work and enjoyed the outsoors.

Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

On 8/31/2024 at 6:19 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I was able to procure permission from SWMBO to go to the range today and work on short shots and chipping. The knee is still swollen but the partial shots didn't seem to bother it. 

I hit pitch shots on the range out to about 40 yards and did ok until I started flinging my right arm at the ball, I'm usually one who likes to control the motion of shots with my left shoulder. 

I chunked some when I wasn't getting the motion right, I could tell I was dropping my right shoulder at impact. 

I moved on to the chipping green where I started out a little rough. I discovered I was trying to force the club through impact and once I started letting the club do more of the work, I was hitting good shots. I hit some from fairway lies and hit some really good shots when the ball was buried in the rough. 

All in all, it was a good day. It was nice to be back out doing something golf related. 

Slow and steady there big guy, slow and steady.  Keep up with the PT and stretching.  You will be back to 300 yard drives and breaking 70 in no time

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

After yesterdays seven 3 putt performance in the alternate shot tourney this morning i am practicing from the 5' mark!  I missed 3 from about that distance that would have saved par for us.  All on the right edge.  I need to correct that to retain whats left of my sanity!  🙃

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

40 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

After yesterdays seven 3 putt performance in the alternate shot tourney this morning i am practicing from the 5' mark!  I missed 3 from about that distance that would have saved par for us.  All on the right edge.  I need to correct that to retain whats left of my sanity!  🙃

Did you have your wallet in your right pocket weighing you down from all that cash you won the previous round?

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

16 minutes ago, Medfloat said:

Did you have your wallet in your right pocket weighing you down from all that cash you won the previous round?

🤔. Note to self....split up cash winnings in each pocket to balance weight distribution!!  Got it!  😄

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I had an extremely productive range session this morning before work. I primarily focused on backswing feels throughout the bag, along with allowing my wrists to hinge naturally at the top of the swing. I have been getting away from things I've worked on in the past in lessons and it was good to just get all the junk out of my head. The latter half of my round Monday was like that and I was 10 strokes better on the back vs the front. 

I also worked on half and 3/4 wedge shots to flags on the range to dial in distances better, I was missing greens long the other day so I wanted to get a better idea of what length shot would land where.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

I'm in a conundrum.  Do I spend the day on the simulator practicing or do I go play 18. 

It's men's league but my 4 some is all busy and can't make it today. So play solo or practice.  Struggle is real. 

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

42 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

🤔. Note to self....split up cash winnings in each pocket to balance weight distribution!!  Got it!  😄

It’s all about balance, right?!  😂

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

39 minutes ago, Off Map Oscar said:

I'm in a conundrum.  Do I spend the day on the simulator practicing or do I go play 18. 

It's men's league but my 4 some is all busy and can't make it today. So play solo or practice.  Struggle is real. 

Sim it is. I got  a buddy that's off tomorrow so we'll go hit a course we haven't seen before. 

Practiced chips from poor lies (in my yard) with SW and 5H. I found various spots which were hardpan, depressed spots with grass in front of the ball, etc. and experimented with different ways to get them out of trouble and hopefully on to the green, in the easiest way possible. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Alta CB SR flex 

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping Anser 4H (23*) - TFC 800H regular flex

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-GW - Recoil 80 F3 shaft 

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye-2 grind 56* - Recoil 80 F3 shaft, ChipR - Alta CB regular flex shaft

Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Seven DB  

Other: Vice Pro or Snell Prime 3.0; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Did a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

2 hours ago, Off Map Oscar said:

Simulator practice, gives you the luxury to experiment without subconsciously trying to get the most out if your round.  Besides, when practicing indoors you never lose a ball…not that YOU lose em, just sayin.  That is my plan for today as well.  No time for a round before 7p.

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

13 minutes ago, RonnieB said:

I am taking myself to the driving range this evening to work on my driver and 3w. Two separate issues. 

• Driver I am popping up or a bad slice.
  • 3w I either top it or hit behind it. 

Have you ever practiced slap shots. 

Wide hands one grip one below and try to hit thr ball about 100. Move slow. It shows you if you're standing up in your swing. 

Day 232 (05 Sep 24) - walked the front nine at home course with the “vintage set” (Toney Penna persimmon 1-3-5 woods, MacGregor Mike Souchak 4-9 irons along with. MacGregor Dbl Duty wedge, Spalding KroFlite SW, Spalding Tournament putter).  Played from my regular tees and managed a +7 43.  Key to the day was focused course management and remembering just how small the sweet spot is on all these clubs….love the challenge and dig the rewards of playing these clubs. IMG_8410.jpeg.7e0c33673db5786ab72be97c6875ceaf.jpeg

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

1 hour ago, Off Map Oscar said:

Have you ever practiced slap shots. 

Wide hands one grip one below and try to hit thr ball about 100. Move slow. It shows you if you're standing up in your swing. 

I have not, but it is worth a shot. Thank you for the tip. 

At the end of the day, we are just sinners.

RB3

3 hours ago, RonnieB said:

I have not, but it is worth a shot. Thank you for the tip. 

My coach says he does this a lot before he goes out for the first round of the season. I've started doing it on 5 to 8 balls with my 7 iron at the start of my warmup bucket. It definitely helps remind me what my body mechanics should be doing. 

I had my fitting for the Taylormade P770 iron test today (write up in work) and then hit the range for some first shots with the new Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max driver.

(The building at the far end of the range is the club's "Performance Academy" where the fitting took place)

BE92842E-AE39-478A-B59B-7390C1355D95_1_105_c.jpeg.c464dbbcafcccc1ea511bed639e9fdde.jpeg

On the driver: What an absolute weapon! First shot was smoked. Straight as an arrow.

I hit approx 30 balls. No bad left/pull miss at all. Some baby draws, but the vast majority straight or fade. A couple of slices, but all due to bad swings and leaving the face open.

I played 9 this evening with some friends and took the Ai Smoke on course with the stock Denali shaft.

7BE27C32-44E0-42BC-ADD2-519166CC79DE_1_105_c.jpeg.4f492cd547e4a588df37a0294d20c97e.jpeg

First tee shot was a slight draw that clipped the top of a tree and stopped at 268 yards. 3rd hole (par 5) was a 288yds bullet straight fairway finder, up hill! 4th hole (par 5) was 282yds fade that landed in first cut rough and stopped fairly quickly. I battered that and it would have been 300 with roll out had it hit the short stuff. 9th hole (elevated tee into slight breeze) was a total of 305yds fade that landed on the fairway and rolled into the first cut.

This driver is a much better fit for my swing. I found it far easier to control the face than I've found the Ping G430LST and it's just very nice to swing. The impact feel is solid and the sound is nice.

All in all, a pretty good first outing with a TON of promising looks at what the TD Max is capable of and I'm pretty certain I found my new driver for a good while to come!

Next step is testing the stock Denali shaft against the Ventus TR Blue 6X I have from my old Rogue ST Max LS (past gamer).

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

The range was closed for ground maintenance today, but I sure could have used it!

140-170 yardage was terrible today! I was shorting my shots, right side cuts, a total mess!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

41 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

The range was closed for ground maintenance today, but I sure could have used it!

140-170 yardage was terrible today! I was shorting my shots, right side cuts, a total mess!

Well, the good thing is today is almost over and you get to start fresh tomorrow.

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

I ended up going to xgolf tonight and worked on the swing.  Long game was good, mid irons were ehhh, chips were meh, putting was good.  Next time out I am going all the way back to scratch.  Small swings with feet together to get balanced while focusing on keeping the left hand flat (righty golfer) in the backswing.  Small steps in progression to keep from over doing anything and everything.  As for tonight, played Innisbrook and ended up with a 74.

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

Been working on my chipping every day recently, trying to get my touch back.

Certainly not a bad afternoon for it, and the scotch I had nearby didn't hurt

20240906_164522.jpg.0efab6c75e12677ddb7d9411ed63b80e.jpg

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

Spent the day hitting putts and getting a feel for my new putter. It's interesting how unforgiving this putter is compared to the newer models on the market, but it feels fantastic. 🔥

IMG_2543.png.1b6a8b6c2e32dd2836bea3fd6989c2a6.png

I love the gate drill, it helps my stability and the tempo of my stroke.

I still need to put some work into my lag-putting, but all in all the new flat-stick is feeling good! Enjoying having a face-balanced blade putter for the first time too! ⛳

nike200.png.457470e6ca5d47ee6e169491b267aa1b.png   Driver: Nike VR Pro Limited Edition | Diamana 'ahina 65g (9.5°, Stiff)

titleist200.png.e01ae7639090c209c93c9f2f7435d808.png   4 Wood: Titleist TS2 | Kuro Kage Black Seires 65g (16.5°, Stiff)

mizuno200.png.4605df8e24685074d10718ba6ac66080.png   Irons: Mizuno MP15 | True Temper DG S300 (4-PW, Stiff)

taylormade200.png.e6cb0a20f84873d1f59007172ed00680.png   Wedges: Taylormade Z-Spin | True Temper DG S300 (52°/9°B, 56°/12°B, 60°/10°B, Stiff)

nike200.png.457470e6ca5d47ee6e169491b267aa1b.png  Putter: Nike Method Milled Model 004 (35")

⭐ See my review of the ShotScope Pro ZR here ⭐

Did some light work in the garage on swing technique. Finally got myself to slow down enough to just do the motions well and was really happy with how flush the contact was. Decided to take a drive over to the practice holes with just the 8 iron to see what ball flight looked like. Contact was still pretty decent, but needed a couple small tweaks. I’m only able to get to around 70% speed and still keep the sequence intact which isn’t terrible. Not scheduled to play anytime soon so really looking to take this one slow.

Day 233 (06 Sep 24) - weekly men’s Friday round, except I kept the ole woods and irons from the day before in play.  Generated some buzz as several reminisced on when they started, others just said I was crazy,  best part, the round was pretty solid in terms of score as I pretty much played the lofts for how far a club would go and not worry about the number on the bottom of the club. 

Edited by Willie T

After a crazy past year of moving to a new city and settling into jobs, I’ve finally been able to get out with the clubs again. Short game and strike practice in the basement during the week and range time the past two weekends has been great but I think it’s time to get on the course again.

Edited by jturner7499

Day 234 (07 Sep 24) - Let’s see - band rehearsal this morning, rain (which we need), headed to meet up with my bride at the beach…yup about 20mins of some swings with the 8i hitting into the net, focused on setup and keeping tempo smooth thru the ball. 

Edited by Willie T

Day 235 (08 Sep 24) -  a beach place day, so no big workout - got in some mirror work focused on shot setup and weight shift. 

Spent a few hours on the range today just trying to groove out the swing. Got a bad early extension. And my trail leg buckles like Bhatia's does. Saw a good drill where you get set up and drop that trail foot a big behind the lead one, almost a draw stance. Helped alot with keeping things square. Now to try and put it in play and see if it works or the range is the only place I hit good shots. Lol. 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"