GolfSpy Barbajo

Official Forum Member Review: Sun Mountain Golf Bags

Our Sponsors

Hey MGS, my Stage one is up, I have a few more pictures to add but the Camera is dead so remember "Same Bat Time Same Bat Channel".

• Like 1

Unfortunately the course we played this morning had mandatory carts before noon, but the 3.5ls did extremely well on the cart. Only needed to adjust items once.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160917_120913.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160917_120921.jpg

here is a little trick to bags when riding in carts.  When you pass the belt around you bags handle, loop it around the handle then secure it,  It stays in there SOLID and will not move........

• Like 2

Great start fellow spies, looking forward to reading the rest of your reviews. How's the sturdiness with all fourteen clubs in there, I see that these is a L shaped attachment on the bottom, do you think that at point this will break off and is the bag fabric thick or thin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great start fellow spies, looking forward to reading the rest of your reviews. How's the sturdiness with all fourteen clubs in there, I see that these is a L shaped attachment on the bottom, do you think that at point this will break off and is the bag fabric thick or thin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bag is extremely sturdy. Have had no issues thus far placing it on the slopes around greens.

The stand mechanism, while small, seems pretty sturdy. I don't think there will be any issues, but only time will tell.

The fabric used is extremely thin. As I mentioned in my review, it is the same lightweight ultra high strength fabric used in top end mountaineering tents.

• Like 1

Hey guys got my Stage 1 up. I am a rookie reviewer so of course the image uploader was giving me a ton of grief. I uploaded as an imgur album for now. I intend to upload and update with more pictures when I have more time. Let me know any questions you have. Or if there is anything in particular that you guys might want to see addressed in the full review. 

• Like 2

My guess would be lighter materials make it more expensive to manufacture perhaps?

Going to get at least one carry round in between now and the end of the weekend.  Anything that the forum wants me to pay extra attention to or look for with my testing?

• Like 1

Same for me I'll be out this weekend so whatever you guys come up with I'll keep an eye on!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

To start I'd like to thank MGS and Sun Mountain for the opportunity to review the C130 Cart Bag. Looking forward to doing a thorough review of the bag.

attachicon.gif20160914_135549.jpgattachicon.gif20160918_093416.jpg

My index currently sits at 9.0 and I play roughly 100 rounds per year, usually walking with a push cart in the spring/fall/winter and riding during the heat of the summer. For the past year I've been alternating back and forth between two bags - a Ping Hoofer 2 and an Ogio Chamber Cart Bag. Both great bags in their own right. The light weight of the Hoofer is where it shines while the club binding is the largest drawback. The Ogio as a cart bag is obviously quite a bit heaver but the 14 full length dividers and Silencer system at the bottom of the bag that essentially locks the clubs into place preventing club chatter are it's best features.

attachicon.gif20160923_101701.jpg

My walk to ride ratio is about 50/50 depending on how I feel or who I'm playing with. Some days it's nice to just throw some beer in a cart with a speaker and have a good time. When I want to focus on my own game without distractions I'll typically walk. When I do walk, I use a push cart so a stand bag isn't a big necessity for me as the cart bags I've used have worked out fine in both of my push carts.

The most important feature I look for in a bag is full length dividers. Club binding drives me crazy and after a bad shot it usually leads to me forcefully placing the offending club back into the bag, resulting in catching a finger or knuckle between two clubs. I also use an oversized putter grip so a putter well that is large enough is a big factor. The Ogio does not have an oversized putter well and noticeably wore down the grip within a short period of time. The Hoofer does not have a dedicated putter well so club binding with the putter was always an issue. I don't keep nearly the amount of crap in my bag that I use to, so a ton of storage isn't a huge factor but I do like to stay organized.

attachicon.gif20160923_101518.jpgattachicon.gif20160923_101756.jpg

While I've never used a Sun Mountain product before, I've hear many good things about the company and it's products. The bag seems durable, well made, and well thought out for the most part. At first glance, the C130 effectively and efficiently checks all these boxes for me which I will elaborate on more in Stage 2 of my review.

Great review, the color scheme you got going on resembles my set as well, black n red. I also have a black n red ogio chamber bag which I love, the C130 looks nice.

Not going to lie, the 3.5LS was an absolute pleasure to carry today

IMG_20161002_095502.jpgIMG_20161002_100042.jpgIMG_20161002_102722.jpg

• Like 2

I use a Sync cart bag, nearly always walking. It's good, but it has issues with grips binding. I'm interested to hear how the C130 goes when on a push cart.

Great work so far guys!!  Love the looks of these bags!

I'm liking the reviews for the bags so far. Couple of questions...

Does the carry bag have a Velcro pad for your glove? (I assume it does or I missed it)

Also, it appears to me the stand mechanism-flapper on the bottom of the bag would fold flush against the bottom when the legs are retracted. Sometimes I put my Wilson Staff carry bag on a Club Car type cart and the bottom stand-flapper gets in the way. (come to think of it...that might not work)

Thanks for your answers.

No velcro on the bag for the glove, but I just secure mine around this red dealy. No issues with putting this bag on a golf cart, but not sure about a pull or push cart.

The bag is designed for carrying so I wouldn't be surprised if it was doesn't play too nicely with pull or push carts. There is a good selection of slightly larger bags that have a stand and may be better suited for someone that wants to use their stand bag primarily on a cart

IMG_6841.JPG

• Like 3

I recently bought the sun mountain H2NO and after reading about the new 2017 3.5LS I'm putting mine up in eBay so I can buy the 3.5LS- this crap always happens to me!!

• Like 2

Plaid I would just add that at least for me this bag is much smaller than my Nike carry bag. So potentially I would think this has more of a chance to be more compatible with push/pull carts than some bags from other companies. I'm going to try and get my wife's Gpas pull cart to test my theory and let you know!

Stage 2 Review of the 3.5 LS is up!  --> Link

Please let me know if there is something I did not touch on in my review that you'd like to know about.  My review will not stop here.  I will keep updating this thread as I continue to use this bag over the next couple of years.  I will especially keep the forum updated on any quality or durability issues that may (but hopefully don't) pop up.

• Like 1

My stage 2 review of the C130 is up. Consider this a work in progress. Like JLukes I intend to update this as things pop up. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me. 

I normally don't have issues with technology, but apparently my photos like to rotate at random when I attach them to posts. 

• Like 1