Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What kind of course do you prefer?

SuperDave

I'm a little late to the party and haven't browsed the entire thread, but I love a links course. It's the style I learned to play on in TN, then in West TX. Living in East/Central TX is a change for me. No roll out here, which hurts my high ball flight. Plus those dang trees...

Also, Merry Christmas ya filthy animals!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Do they have nice link style courses in TN. I'm dying to try them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if 'nice' is necessarily the word, but my favorite is near and dear to my heart. Carroll Lakes in McKenzie is where I learned to play. It's a short track with small greens, but it's fun.

Paris Landing in...Paris... has a bit of a links fair, as does the course in Jackson, TN. It's name escapes me at the moment. Then there's a Nicklaus course around there somewhere. And the Robert Trent Jones trail has a links style course in two in it, if I recall correctly.

I'll look some of them up when I'm on a computer. Carroll Lakes may be the only true links course. I have a very loose definition of the word 'links.' To me it's any course that doesn't specialize in target golf, a course that actually uses the lay of the land rather than moving dirt, and foregoes elevated greens as a consequence of that.

sent from mobile device - please forgive typos

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

The only one that might be close to a links-style is Gaylord Springs around the Nashville area.  I didn't get a chance to play it, because I was on a business trip and we were short on time.  We did play Hermitage courses; had a tournament there.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My favorite rounds are always spent on courses where every hole makes you feel completely isolated from the rest of the world.

Living in a relatively flat area, courses with lots of elevation changes are always a nice change of pace.

You'll never hear me complaining about courses with cute cart girls either.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Driver: Titleist 917 10.5*
3 Wood: Titliest 917
Hybrid: Titleist 818

Irons: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged w/ True Temper XP 115

Wedges: Volkey SM5 M Grind 54° & 58°; 8° bounce

Putter: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

Grips: Golf Pride MCCPlus4 midsized

Preferred ball: Bridgestone Tour B-RX, ProV 1X

My favorite rounds are always spent on courses where every hole makes you feel completely isolated from the rest of the world.

Living in a relatively flat area, courses with lots of elevation changes are always a nice change of pace.

You'll never hear me complaining about courses with cute cart girls either.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

The pic of the hole in your avatar looks exactly like a hole at a course at Eagle Crest outside Redmond, Oregon.  We have timeshare condo there.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The pic of the hole in your avatar looks exactly like a hole at a course at Eagle Crest outside Redmond, Oregon. We have timeshare condo there.

Oregon is on my bucket list for golf trips, but I have sadly not had a chance chance to get there yet.

Hard to tell because it's so small on my app, but it looks like #14 at the Patriot outside Tulsa

Oregon is on my bucket list for golf trips, but I have sadly not had a chance chance to get there yet.

Hard to tell because it's so small on my app, but it looks like #14 at the Patriot outside Tulsa

OKC was never on my bucket list, but I have played Coffee Creek and Kickingbird.   :D

When you make a trip out to Oregon, be sure to give us a shout out here.  I grew up there; lots of great courses.

OKC was never on my bucket list, but I have played Coffee Creek and Kickingbird. :D

When you make a trip out to Oregon, be sure to give us a shout out here. I grew up there; lots of great courses.

If you ever get back this way, let me know and we'll tee it up

Archived