jaskanski

Setting the record straight on tipping

As far as I'm concerned that's the best explanation of shaft tipping - trimming, etc. I've ever read. I'm not a shaft guy but today I learned something.

Nice job jaskanski

• Like 2

Great Post--- I will add a couple of things if you do not mind and most of them are old school redneck engineering ways

A lot of times the tip stiffness is determined by the actual shaft wall thickness. Think the old purple UST 65 gold shafts. Those things were advertised as "Tip Stiff" to begin with because the walls were thicker. Also any shaft will be stiffer in the tip on a bore through club IE Callaway or early Titleist drivers. the latter also brings into play some certain weight things too which I know you are familuar with.

An old school trick is also to run more epoxy up the shaft than usual and it will make it a little stiffer. For some the weight difference will be noticeable. I for one can notice this because I can not stand a club that is "slugged in the hosel" (tip weighted) as us old timers put it. But like you stated nothing can make an adjustment in the overall bend profile as in mid bend or butt bend.

Yep like I said you nailed it and great post just wanted to add my .02 FWIW

• Like 2

Thanks for clarifying that. It makes the most sense of any explanation I've ever heard on shaft tipping. I think this topic has a lot of confusion in most forums.

Great Post--- I will add a couple of things if you do not mind and most of them are old school redneck engineering ways

A lot of times the tip stiffness is determined by the actual shaft wall thickness. Think the old purple UST 65 gold shafts. Those things were advertised as "Tip Stiff" to begin with because the walls were thicker. Also any shaft will be stiffer in the tip on a bore through club IE Callaway or early Titleist drivers. the latter also brings into play some certain weight things too which I know you are familuar with.

An old school trick is also to run more epoxy up the shaft than usual and it will make it a little stiffer. For some the weight difference will be noticeable. I for one can notice this because I can not stand a club that is "slugged in the hosel" (tip weighted) as us old timers put it. But like you stated nothing can make an adjustment in the overall bend profile as in mid bend or butt bend.

Yep like I said you nailed it and great post just wanted to add my .02 FWIW

Adding epoxy inside the tip of a graphite shaft is poor practice and is a good way to have a warranty voided. The epoxy creates an addition shear point. Thats why they have shaft plugs designed to prevent epoxy from creeping up the shaft tip. Dont do that, please. Its creating a timembomb and the question is when it will break, not if.

• Like 1