Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

I'm invited to play in a best ball tournament at the end of the month, help needed

Rusty1885

I'm playing a high handicap a decent hitter with a workable big fade. I've never been paired with a high handicapper before usually I'm paired with a mid single at my club and we had no plan, so what's the skinny and strategy.

I know my handicap couldn't help much in terms of scoring but from what I heard I'll be the lowest handicap entered, can't be good right?

It's not at my home course, not short not long but it's a mountain course that requires local knowledge. I'm planing to play 2 rounds a week there till the end of the month.

Thanks.

If you're a low to mid single handicap you want a high hdcp partner for sure. Your job is to keep it in play and make pars and his job is to make as many par/ net birdies as possible. Making natural birdies is always difficult for the low partner but any high handicap who keeps it in play can help out a ton. That's an ideal pairing for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Define a High handicap. If he can make 5 pars then he will be a huge help. Par 3's will be key. If he is over an 18 3 pars on those holes alone will help out. You as the low handicap take the par 5's. 2 natural birdies and you are already -5. Any more pars by him or natural birdies by you are great.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

From a higher cap perspective.  I'm currently I think 17.9.   

A pretty typical round for me might be something like

5- Pars

8 -Bogeys

3-Doubles

2 "others"

Those 5 pars can really help us pick up a hole here or there especially if i"m popin on one of them.   What you have to try and avoid if your the low cap is getting a bogey or double on on of the 5 holes where I have double or worst.

So it's just like guassman said, play your steady game, get your pars and don't put too much pressure on your self. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I would take a look at the rules. Typically the team tournaments I have played have had a max team handicap. Look for a partner that gets you up to this maximum without going over it. You won't be doing yourself any favors if your team handicap is 20 and the rules only allow you to play to a max team handicap of 18.

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

Define a High handicap. If he can make 5 pars then he will be a huge help. Par 3's will be key. If he is over an 18 3 pars on those holes alone will help out. You as the low handicap take the par 5's. 2 natural birdies and you are already -5. Any more pars by him or natural birdies by you are great.

He told me he shot 86 probably once or a few times. I played with him 4-5 rounds already probably shot low 90s. I can probably take his game and shoot low 80s with it. Very predictable and workable, like many high handicappers he tends to aim right at the flag or middle of the fairway, when he should have compensated for the ball flight. A decent putter as long as it's uphill.

Last round we rode together and I was giving him the yardage and when he asked what I'd do, I made recommendation. He made more pars than usual, I guess he asked me to play in the tournament.

I did similar thing last month, I caddied for a member-guest event at my club. My guy did pretty well and that's on his own with no playing partner. I like the cheerleader's role.

He told me he shot 86 probably once or a few times. I played with him 4-5 rounds already probably shot low 90s. I can probably take his game and shoot low 80s with it. Very predictable and workable, like many high handicappers he tends to aim right at the flag or middle of the fairway, when he should have compensated for the ball flight. A decent putter as long as it's uphill.

Last round we rode together and I was giving him the yardage and when he asked what I'd do, I made recommendation. He made more pars than usual, I guess he asked me to play in the tournament.

I did similar thing last month, I caddied for a member-guest event at my club. My guy did pretty well and that's on his own with no playing partner. I like the cheerleader's role.

It's being a player and coach. As partners 100% legal. And I think you might have a lot of fun. Just remember to take the 30 seconds to concentrate on your game after helping him with shots.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Best ball. Find out how many drives are required by each player ... if any. Then find your partners best iron ... distance from the fairway. Layup to that distance & let him drive 1st when you can. If he is OB or in a bad spot ... you have to play safe with your best club off the tee. Watch his wedge play. Can he chip & pitch ? Find the trouble holes in your practice rounds ... where to play safe. Coach him on his lines to play without being negative. Make it fun. Seems the more relaxed you both are ... the more relaxed your swings will be. That's my experience. In my case I love to hit driver but my 2 iron is money off the tee. You have to know both of your weaknesses ... off the tee & from the fairway. Add 1 club on his approach shots ... high handicappers seem to come up short. Unless you are a great bunker player. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Best ball. Find out how many drives are required by each player ...

I'm guessing the OP means fourball stroke play, also called better ball of partners, not scramble, so my advice is based on that guess.  I think you're in a good spot, really.  Your job is to stay steady, to always have your original ball in play, to make pars and birdies, and no more than bogey.  Your partner's job will be to make a few (or more) pars with strokes for net birdie, or even eagle.  You've played with him, so you know you can help him with strategy and club selection.  Keep the pressure off of him as much as possible.  And as jacustomgolf said, remember to take a few seconds to concentrate on your own shots.  Have fun, and good luck!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Go out there and drop a 63 on your own ball, light the 18th flag on fire waving it overhead like a conquering hero.

Honestly, mitigate mistakes, play smart, don't take any unnecessary risks. In all, be you Rusty. You'll be fine.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Go out there and drop a 63 on your own ball, light the 18th flag on fire waving it overhead like a conquering hero.

Honestly, mitigate mistakes, play smart, don't take any unnecessary risks. In all, be you Rusty. You'll be fine.

That's the problem. I play best not thinking about golf. I'm quite bother by knowing the scores and people asking me about the score. I'm using gamegolf live and all I do is tag before each shot and find out later what's the damage.

That's the main reason I've not done well in our club tournaments as I'm reminded of how I shoot each hole. I'm going to take the advice of being a playing coach and let that distract me from my "thinking of the round" and just play. I'm forever envious of people who rise up at when the tournament pressure rise.

That's the problem. I play best not thinking about golf. I'm quite bother by knowing the scores and people asking me about the score. I'm using gamegolf live and all I do is tag before each shot and find out later what's the damage.

That's the main reason I've not done well in our club tournaments as I'm reminded of how I shoot each hole. I'm going to take the advice of being a playing coach and let that distract me from my "thinking of the round" and just play. I'm forever envious of people who rise up at when the tournament pressure rise.

Gotcha, as someone who struggled a lot with the same thing I would say you're going about it the right way, find something to distract yourself with during the round so you don't become bogged down.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

• 2 weeks later...

I did it! -4 under baby!

I know it's not much for 4 man scramble but it was pure awesome juice. My team were 90s shooters plus me, and for a round of golf we came together and made it happen.

Somehow, I found the way to distract my wandering mind and play good golf. We just kept it simple, one kept the ball in play and the rest could go for it. First putter aim at the hole.

If it's a tough driving hole then I'd go first, if the ball was already in play then I'd take the high risk high reward shot. They got the kick out of watching someone hitting the driver off the deck so when the ball was in, I went for it 2 out of 3 were spectacular, they were pumped and I was pumped. I sank a 40 footer and did the Tiger wood fist pumping thing while two other team were watching nearby.

What I'm most proud of was how my team stepped up when I missed my shot. They could sprayed their drives left and right but when mine went wide they put 2 in the fairway. That's a lot to ask of high handicappers in a pressure situation. We were all had an absolute blast and couldn't wait to do it again.

All of your tips and tricks worked like a charm.

Archived