Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ap2 vs Ap3

I'd love to MGS do testing with comparisons between the ap2 and ap3.i love to know the real numbers different golfers are getting going back and forth between these irons. Does any have first hand experience with these irons?

Adams Speedline 4G ultralite driver stiff shaft

Taylormade SLDR driver extra stiff shaft

Ping G20 3 wood stiff shaft

Adams redline 3&4 hybrids stiff shaft

Adams redline 5-PW stiff shaft

Titleist Vokey sm5 wedges 52, 56, 60

Boccieri golf Heavy putter

Ap2 is a players irons and ap3 offers a close look to a players iron with forgiveness and launch/performance characteristics of what's considered a game improvement iron.

Ap2 feels softer and because if the design imo needs someone who can deliver the club somewhat consistently to take advantage of them. Not sure if numbers are still the same but Ap2 were the number 1 iron on tour

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

We will have to see what is in the mist wanted iron testing. The AP2s are in the players category. AP3 would be in players distance category. Won't see them head to head but you might be able to compare some numbers, but it may be different testers.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'd love to MGS do testing with comparisons between the ap2 and ap3.i love to know the real numbers different golfers are getting going back and forth between these irons. Does any have first hand experience with these irons?

Tried both, got fitted for both.

AP2 is forged and near normal lofts.

AP3 is cast and stronger lofts, larger head, higher launch but does feel harder than the AP2

Difficult to compare side by side as they are made differently, aimed at different players and lofts aren't comparable. 

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I've got the AP2's (6-PW) and AP3's (4/5) in my bag. 

Both are great looking irons. They set up nicely and fit my eye well. 

In terms of performance, the AP3's are easier to get up into the air. I got them in the 4/5 because I wanted something that was a bit more forgiving, especially for those longer distances (190-205). The feel isn't as good as the AP2, but still solid. I use them off of the tee most often. 

The AP2 is forgiving and the smaller head gives me a little more confidence to go after a ball, especially if it's in the rough. The feel is great as well. 

If you're a solid ball striker, the AP2 is a great way to go, but if you're off sometimes, especially in the longer irons, that AP3 will give you the forgiveness you need as well as the distance. 

*I gapped my AP3's to fit the AP2's*

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Ap2 is a players irons and ap3 offers a close look to a players iron with forgiveness and launch/performance characteristics of what's considered a game improvement iron.

Ap2 feels softer and because if the design imo needs someone who can deliver the club somewhat consistently to take advantage of them. Not sure if numbers are still the same but Ap2 were the number 1 iron on tour

I've hit both because I was curious and I completely agree with RickyBobby.  In terms of numbers, I was seeing about the same out of the AP3's and AP1's.  Granted that's not hitting of Trackman or anything to get actual numbers.

When I hit the AP3's, I thought they fit into the category of like Mizuno's JPX 900 Forged.  They aren't a game improvement iron, but they still help launch the ball.  You'll see more punishment for off center hits than a game improvement, but not as bad as a the AP2's.

Hope that helps!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't hit the 718 AP2s, however, I have hit an older model and they are an extremely good feeling club - I can only imagine that the newest clubs feel even better. I tested the AP3s a couple of weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised how well they felt. the AP3s have a stronger loft so if you want to pair them up you will have to have their lofts adjusted to gap your clubs correctly. Also, this was a plus for me, the AP3s do tend to help you get the ball up. I am with you however, I would love to see some tests done between these two clubs. I would also love to see some comparisons between the AP3 and the TM P790s, and the AP2s and the P770s. 

I've hit both because I was curious and I completely agree with RickyBobby. In terms of numbers, I was seeing about the same out of the AP3's and AP1's. Granted that's not hitting of Trackman or anything to get actual numbers.

When I hit the AP3's, I thought they fit into the category of like Mizuno's JPX 900 Forged. They aren't a game improvement iron, but they still help launch the ball. You'll see more punishment for off center hits than a game improvement, but not as bad as a the AP2's.

Hope that helps!

The last part is so true. I think there was a segment of golfers who thought that the ap3s were going to give ap1 forgiveness with a better look. I've learned with my 4i that is not the case. Definitely better than ap2s but they let you know when you missed it

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I went to a titleist Thursday event and hit everything in the lineup. I am a high single digit, usually getting down to about 8.0 late season. I played the 714 AP2s until moving to the Srixon 765s. I was shocked that I got the best results, launch, comp spin, decent from the AP1s. I was put off from the 714/716 AP1 looks, size etc, but the 718s are good looking and not as chunky. Highly recommend going on with an open mind and giving them a go.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think both the AP2 and AP3 are large size club head designs. For some players the large size makes them less forgiving , harder to square at impact, more so than a traditional size iron head.

If you like Titleist , also consider their cavity back (CB) model, which is still a fairly large and forgiving head size, but not as large as the AP2 or AP3.

totally disagree about AP2 and CB being large heads. Your MP63 is larger than the CB

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

totally disagree about AP2 and CB being large heads. Your MP63 is larger than the CB

Anything that's not an old school blade is large to him.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out the AP2 and AP3's during my fitting a couple months ago and not sure why but I kept hitting almost every shot fat with the AP3's. It could have just been pure luck that my bad swings happened when I was swinging the AP3's but I just hit the AP2's so much more pure. I'm only an 11-13 handicap but the AP2's work for me. Not the longest club in the world as they are more traditionally lofted but they feel great.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2
3 Wood: Titleist 904 F
Hybrid: 21 deg Cobra Baffler
4i-PW: Titleist 718 AP2
Wedges: Cleveland CG10 in 54 and 60 deg
Putter: Odyssey White Steel #1

Different animals

Apples and oranges

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I have the AP3's in AMT Black shafts (5-PW) & TMB 4-iron in AMT White.

These are fabulous irons.  Very forgiving & set up really well.  I was fitted for both the AP2 & AP3's around April of last year.  I chose the forgiveness of the AP3's because I'm getting up there in age & I need all the help I can get.  This was big for me since I have gamed the every version of the AP2's since the 2008 version as well as the DCI's back in 2001.  I always loved the forged feeling & feedback from the AP2's but the cast feeling in the AP3's really didn't take long to get used to.  Some people find them too harsh of a sound but I don't notice them at all ... especially when paired with the ProV1.  

They have a nice high trajectory that land so soft that I have the utmost confidence to fire at any flag knowing that it will stop.  The setup behind the ball with the minimal offset ... off by mm, I mean tenths of a mm ... barely noticeable.  Distance is maybe half a club further than my 716 AP2's but it's the control that I love.  I can mishit the shot & it still goes the correct distance just a bit offline.  

I thought I would regret my decision later by going with the AP3's but I don't regret my decision at all.  Just get out there and get fit for them.  You can't go wrong with either one.  Take as long as you need to do make the decision.  Don't feel pressured into making a decision after the first fitting.  It took me 3 different fittings before I made my mind up.  :) 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I know im not that great of a player but I hit the AP1 and AP3 because I couldnt decide which to get, the AP3 felt nothing like the AP1. Did have a little more distance but a lot less control

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

During your fitting did you make any swings with the Titleist CB ?

I did not, just AP2 and AP3. Then also hit P790's, Ping i200, and a Mizuno iron but can't remember which model.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2
3 Wood: Titleist 904 F
Hybrid: 21 deg Cobra Baffler
4i-PW: Titleist 718 AP2
Wedges: Cleveland CG10 in 54 and 60 deg
Putter: Odyssey White Steel #1

• 4 weeks later...

Got fitted for the AP3 Irons with KBS Tour V shafts in May. Since then I've been playing the best golf of my life and find that my length is similar or greater to my previous set of Irons, but the dispersion is much tighter. Previous set was the TaylorMade PSI. The other irons that were next in performance for me were the Calllaway X Forged and the Mizuno MP-18 MMC. The AP3's were the clear winners however.

Also fitted for Titleist Vokey Wedges, SM7 54 & 60. Compared to my previous TaylorMade wedges, these produce significantly more spin on all shots, full swing to green side chips.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

Archived