NFL thread! What are you thinking?

Sluggo42

Just now, KC Golf said:

The Jets Vs Bills game was surprisingly entertaining last night.  I was figuring that Buffalo would blow the Jets out.  The missed kicks were crazy.

i think this year, the protecting the QB rules is getting out of hand. It’s like the QB is off limits like it should be two hand tag. 

At least someone enjoyed it!

It was painful.  No tempo, constant penalties.  I found myself in the first half saying "that wasn't even a penalty" for uncatchable passes among other things.  That crew was brutal and shouldn't be calling games after that debacle.  

8 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Jets trade for Devante Adams and go full LA Lakers. This is shameless and sad for a franchise that has been a laughing stock for years. A new low even for them.

Rodgers can barely mask his contempt for his receiving corps.  Don't be surprised to see Mike Williams working as Snoopy in Times Square next week.

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Rodgers can barely mask his contempt for his receiving corps.  Don't be surprised to see Mike Williams working as Snoopy in Times Square next week.

I'm down there this week with the wife on vacation. If I see him, I'll report back.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:callaway-small: AI Smoke Max, 12*, set -1/D, Project X RDX Smoke Red 50, 6.0 Flex

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:titleist-small: Prov V1X Left Dash... for now

18 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Jets trade for Devante Adams and go full LA Lakers. This is shameless and sad for a franchise that has been a laughing stock for years. A new low even for them.

Green Bay East coming to full fruition, just as Aaron envisioned all along I am sure. Don't be surprised if David Bakhtiari signs in the next few weeks. 

It's eye opening viewing Rodgers from the outside and no longer as the QB of my favorite team. I'll take Jordan Love, willing to throw the ball to TEN different receivers a game, over the guy who only wants his guys. .

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

55 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

Green Bay East coming to full fruition, just as Aaron envisioned all along I am sure. Don't be surprised if David Bakhtiari signs in the next few weeks. 

It's eye opening viewing Rodgers from the outside and no longer as the QB of my favorite team. I'll take Jordan Love, willing to throw the ball to TEN different receivers a game, over the guy who only wants his guys. .

I just don't get it, torpedoing everything for the whims of one guy. It's not like Tampa brought in Edelman and Amendola and others for Brady, or Reggie Wayne materialized in Denver for Peyton. Maybe it's proof Rodgers isn't this great QB, maybe he's a system guy who needs to feel confident in his system and can't play outside it. Also, as someone who watched Nathaniel Hackett at Syracuse and then Buffalo, dude has failed upward spectacularly for someone who I don't think is very good.

:callaway-small: AI Smoke Max, 12*, set -1/D, Project X RDX Smoke Red 50, 6.0 Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

At least someone enjoyed it!

It was painful.  No tempo, constant penalties.  I found myself in the first half saying "that wasn't even a penalty" for uncatchable passes among other things.  That crew was brutal and shouldn't be calling games after that debacle.  

... Either DB coaches are teaching "holding if needed" or DB's are just playing the odds. I think I see more PI's not called than PI's called on uncatchable balls. If they would just stop grabbing, especially beyond 5 yds it would cut down on the calls. But it just seems like this year grabbing an arm and holding it, grabbing a jersey and the old fashioned arm around the hip with a slight pull are off the charts this year and I think it could be called on almost every down. 

... I think the bottom line is the NFL wants more offense and that admittedly puts the defense at a disadvantage, but that is the current state of the game and defensive coaches and players need to adjust to it. That said I know it isn't easy and I don't really have an answer for this conundrum. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

13 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

I just don't get it, torpedoing everything for the whims of one guy. It's not like Tampa brought in Edelman and Amendola and others for Brady, or Reggie Wayne materialized in Denver for Peyton. Maybe it's proof Rodgers isn't this great QB, maybe he's a system guy who needs to feel confident in his system and can't play outside it. Also, as someone who watched Nathaniel Hackett at Syracuse and then Buffalo, dude has failed upward spectacularly for someone who I don't think is very good.

I absolutely do think Aaron Rodgers is one of the most talented QBs to ever play the game and is a first ballot HOF'er, in my opinion. However, I think as his career has gone on, he's seemingly gotten to a "my way or the highway" approach. 

When he was at his peak with GB, he had weapons all over the field and didn't just zero in on one or two guys. At this stage in his career, I don't think he's good enough to elevate a team solely by his presence on the field. The Jets did not get the QB they envisioned they were getting, but got blinded by the name and the past success. The Packers won that trade massively.

There's an arguement to be made that MLF and his playcalling/approach to his relationship with Rodgers elevated him more than people realize. Always was looked at as the other way around, and yet MLF continues to call fantastic games with Love at QB.

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

#LeftyGang

1 hour ago, KC Golf said:

i think this year, the protecting the QB rules is getting out of hand. It’s like the QB is off limits like it should be two hand tag. 

...  I think most can agree that any position can be replaced, with the exception of the QB. That position is so important in today's NFL and more than a few teams don't have a viable starter and those that do, don't have a back up that can perform anywhere near as well as the starter. I would make the argument any other position can be replaced. Sure losing a Hutchinson can make a defense less dominant, but they won't completely fall apart like Miami when Tua went down or the Jets season last year when they lost Rodgers. I can't think of any other sport where the loss of one player can be so catastrophic for the team, the league and the fans.  

... For those reasons, I am all for protecting the QB and would rather see a marginal call than no call at all. Players in today's NFL are just too big, too strong and way too fast and a QB unlike any other position is a sitting duck in the pocket. That said, when a defensive player does their best to follow the rules, like last nights Buffalo sack when the player tried to strip the ball and braced themselves with their trailing arm, it is very frustrating to see that called especially if you are a Buffalo fan. 

Edited by chisag

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

I absolutely do think Aaron Rodgers is one of the most talented QBs to ever play the game and is a first ballot HOF'er, in my opinion. However, I think as his career has gone on, he's seemingly gotten to a "my way or the highway" approach. 

... I couldn't agree more having had Rodgers just break Bears fans hearts for so many years. His ability to hit a very small window on a deep pass with the game on the line is unmatched imo. But he has always been a prima donna, you just wore blinders. 

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

When he was at his peak with GB, he had weapons all over the field and didn't just zero in on one or two guys. At this stage in his career, I don't think he's good enough to elevate a team solely by his presence on the field. The Jets did not get the QB they envisioned they were getting, but got blinded by the name and the past success.

... And as much as I dislike the guy, I do think he is still good enough to elevate a team solely by his presence on the field and the game last night against the Bills would have been a lopsided, ugly to watch game if Zach Wilson were behind center. He made some OMG throws last night and I don't remember how many drops the Jets had but they were numerous and crucial to getting and maintaining some momentum. That said, at age 40 he certainly isn't who he was in his prime. 

22 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

I just don't get it, torpedoing everything for the whims of one guy.

The Cleveland Browns have entered the chat…

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

20 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Either DB coaches are teaching "holding if needed" or DB's are just playing the odds. I think I see more PI's not called than PI's called on uncatchable balls. If they would just stop grabbing, especially beyond 5 yds it would cut down on the calls. But it just seems like this year grabbing an arm and holding it, grabbing a jersey and the old fashioned arm around the hip with a slight pull are off the charts this year and I think it could be called on almost every down. 

... I think the bottom line is the NFL wants more offense and that admittedly puts the defense at a disadvantage, but that is the current state of the game and defensive coaches and players need to adjust to it. That said I know it isn't easy and I don't really have an answer for this conundrum. 

Quarterbacks have the advantage of heaving bombs with the likelihood that a missed catch will become DPI. 

Id love to know the official stat. How many passes over 30 yards (arbitrary) end up being DPI or Defensive Hold calls. Play the averages. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I couldn't agree more having had Rodgers just break Bears fans hearts for so many years. His ability to hit a very small window on a deep pass with the game on the line is unmatched imo. But he has always been a prima donna, you just wore blinders. 

... And as much as I dislike the guy, I do think he is still good enough to elevate a team solely by his presence on the field and the game last night against the Bills would have been a lopsided, ugly to watch game if Zach Wilson were behind center. He made some OMG throws last night and I don't remember how many drops the Jets had but they were numerous and crucial to getting and maintaining some momentum. That said, at age 40 he certainly isn't who he was in his prime. 

He certainly still has those throws in his arsenal, I shouldn't completely discredit that. I'll own the blinders statement, as I think most anyone who has a franchise QB on their team is willing to overlook some of the dramatics if they are seeing the results we were spoiled with in Green Bay for all those years. 

But it certainly is true that you see just how much more attention one player can bring to an entire organization when it is from the outside looking in!

#LeftyGang

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Quarterbacks have the advantage of heaving bombs with the likelihood that a missed catch will become DPI. 

Id love to know the official stat. How many passes over 30 yards (arbitrary) end up being DPI or Defensive Hold calls. Play the averages. 

... I don't see more deep throws than the past and if pressed would say I see even more shorter passes today compared to 10 years ago. Defenses are playing deeper and we al hear "just taking what the defenses give me" throwing passes under 10 yds. But just like my argument that defensive players are too big, too strong and too fast when it comes to rushing the pocket, WR's are the same and covering them even with the insane athletic ability of today's DB's can be almost impossible every down.

... I just see much more calculated PI going on because even though a lot of flags are being thrown, there is still a massive amount going on that isn't called. My biggest complaint is the DB grabbing an arm, or "arm barring" a WR so they can't use both or either hand to make a catch. I know I am probably in the minority, but I think NFL athletes have out paced the game itself and I just don't have an answer on how to fix it. 

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

But it certainly is true that you see just how much more attention one player can bring to an entire organization when it is from the outside looking in!

... Roquon Smith was one of my favorite college players when he dominated games at Georgia and I was thrilled when the Bears drafted him. He played right up to the edge with an inner fire and a few times crossed that line of aggression to uncalled for. But watching him with the Ravens, now I just see a dirty player that crosses the line much too often and is completely unrepentant about it. As you said, outside looking in. 

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I don't see more deep throws than the past and if pressed would say I see even more shorter passes today compared to 10 years ago. Defenses are playing deeper and we al hear "just taking what the defenses give me" throwing passes under 10 yds. But just like my argument that defensive players are too big, too strong and too fast when it comes to rushing the pocket, WR's are the same and covering them even with the insane athletic ability of today's DB's can be almost impossible every down.

... I just see much more calculated PI going on because even though a lot of flags are being thrown, there is still a massive amount going on that isn't called. My biggest complaint is the DB grabbing an arm, or "arm barring" a WR so they can't use both or either hand to make a catch. I know I am probably in the minority, but I think NFL athletes have out paced the game itself and I just don't have an answer on how to fix it. 

Definitely agree with the underneath statement.  What used to be a weak QB's forte, the check down is now a regiment for many of these high powered offenses.  Up until last year, Josh was notorious for 3rd down "punts" where he'd heave one to Gabriel Davis for an INT because of course.

I used to suffer through JP Losman and Trent Edwards making their fullback as their first look check down because Eric Moulds, Lee Evans and TO were just not cutting it 🙂

Ok that was a joke and more of a product of a terrible O-Line.  But you get the point.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

I was going to mention this too, Sam. Some of the best DBs in the league are the ones who can consistently "mask" DPI. They will time the arrival of a ball juuuuuust before it gets there and create just enough contact that displaces the receiver which impacts the ability to catch the ball. Jaire Alexander is good at this and who comes to mind as I watch him week in and week out. He's also what I consider an elite DB. Others who get flagged more often just aren't good enough at timing the contact, or not good enough to not get beat by the WR and are forced to grab/hold to prevent a  TD. I definitely think it is coached. Do I think it is fair or right? Not necessarily, but the case that DPI or even OPI could be called on nearly every ball thrown down the field is valid unless it is a blown coverage or the WR is just clearly open. 

#LeftyGang

I feel as if I was a little to 'hot take' in my Rodgers assessment, and I think @GolfSpy_KFT put it better. He undoubtedly has arm talent in a way that few ever had, but he's so specifically a 'his way' guy that I can't get on board with him the same way other great QB's who made late career switches and succeeded like Tom and Peyton, or even someone like a Kurt Warner who was super solid with Arizona. This feels like Kansas City Montana to me, with more drama, less success, and an overwhelming  attempt to satiate the league's largest ego.

All time it isn't going to be a knock against him to most, but it's baffling to watch and will be written about for years once the Jets go back to trash again, if they aren't already there.

SIK Golf Flo-C

7 hours ago, bens197 said:

My thoughts almost exactly as I watched that nearly-unwatchable game last night!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

5 hours ago, chisag said:

I pretty much agree with everything you said in this paragraph, Sam!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

On 10/15/2024 at 10:28 AM, Berg Ryman said:

Adams is the Jets' problem now. I'm happy he's gone. Never should have traded for him in the first place. The Raiders can suck just fine without him. 😂