TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

hckymeyer

Here are my week 12 results.  I went through a 4-5 week plateau of similar speed levels, but in the last two weeks I have tied or set a personal best with each club.

457048361_week12results.JPG.3a3bbe2458e9f77ef158c6d460781b41.JPG

Sorry for the short post, lots of last minute shopping to do!  Merry Christmas everybody!

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

@GolfSpy MPR Hi, we often see a ten finger grip work best on the left handed swings. Even the highest level tour players will sometimes use a different grip on their non dominant side. We would also recommend wearing a glove on both hands during the training. It may help for you to video your left handed swing to see if you're doing something different mechanically that is causing the issue. The left handed swings start out uncoordinated if you have never done them before but get better fairly quickly. Some coaching may be needed on those for you.

If none of those suggestions work your options would be cut out the non dominant swings or take time off from the training.

10 hours ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

@GolfSpy MPR The left handed swings start out uncoordinated if you have never done them before but get better fairly quickly.

That's certainly true for me!  I was thinking of taping some lefty swings and submitting to America's Funniest Home Videos.  

Just finished my second week, not bad considering I went out twice after work this week for a few beers, something I don't usually do.  Also feeling a little sore now, figure that will wear off in another week or so as I continue.  Final 3 swings today were 102, 104, and 105.

After some swings, I feel like maybe I held back just a little...as I get more conscious of that I think it will go away.   Kind of like that tee shot on the first hole, sometime there is one too may golf thought running around in my head ;-).

image.png.c8e19e887515d4b98addfa40123897ea.png

Edited by Mike Lambert
got rid of duplicate picture

Question for the group... have any of you noticed-- or utilized-- any swing or grip changes, other than what you'd normally use in your golf swing, in order to get an increased speed reading??

Part of my reason for asking is because I've been getting some strange read-outs where my non-dominant side is sometimes faster than my dominant side.  I think someone alluded to this before, asking about the possibility of getting some left-handed clubs.

Anyway, I think that using a reverse grip for my non-dominant side swings causes me, kind of naturally, to employ an earlier wrist cock.  

So, when I attempt the same thing in my dominant side swing-- and earlier wrist cock-- I'm registering some increased swing speed.  However, it's an unorthodox swing for me from what my 'normal' golf swing would be like.

Are we supposed to be maintaining our normal swing mechanics while doing the exercise or can we fudge a little bit to try to 'cheat' the system for a couple of extra MPH's???  

Pics are of non-dominant on left and dominant on the right.

IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

I've been a Lutheran pastor for almost 40 years.

Well, Week 12 is now in the books.  Overall, this week's max speeds have been similar to the past couple of weeks.  However, I would like to make note of an interesting observation between sessions this week.

image.png.0aa66e7275092d2a197beefbaa2dce5d.png

Sessions were Monday-Wednesday-Friday this week, and all sessions were around 10am.  I had an bad day on Wednesday; don't know why.  Speed was down; no speeds over 100.  As I said earlier, it HAS to be radar, right?.  It was a little discouraging.  

I couldn't even blame it on the weather.  Wednesday was the warmest day of the week at 48º during the protocol.  Monday and Friday were 41º and 42º.  The only difference is that on Wednesday it was cloudy and Monday and Friday were sunny.   I must like sun.

To those considering the SuperSpeed program, you will see up and down days.  Don't worry about it.  The program is long term, and while short-term trends up are nice to see, it's the long-term effects that will ultimately be important.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

51 minutes ago, Calypso55 said:

Are we supposed to be maintaining our normal swing mechanics while doing the exercise or can we fudge a little bit to try to 'cheat' the system for a couple of extra MPH's???  

I'll be interested in everyone else's answers to this, but for my part, changing my swing to increase speed isn't merely not something I avoid;  it is one of the main goals I have when swinging. As I've continued in this program through the first 8 weeks or so, I've continually found small swing tweaks that add speed at the right part of the swing. This includes things like wrist hinges, fuller shoulder turns, the (obvious) weight shift, posting up stronger on my left leg at impact.

The question raised by such tweaks, of course, is whether they can be sustained playably when I have a ball I need to control. That's where those of you doing the protocols while continuing to be able to play have an advantage. I'm trying to blend both by mixing in rounds on the Optishot.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

End of week 8 here for me. Brief summary, because I want to go home.

Averages on almost every weight have stayed with a 4mph range for the past four weeks.

• Green: 117–120
  • Blue: 113–116
  • Red: 106–112
  • Green (final): 123–126

I adjusted my spreadsheet to track the max speed swing with each color, like the rest of you are doing. There's obviously much more volatility in that measurement. For me, my initial green swings were down quite a bit this week, but everything else held steady.

Looking forward to taking a week off, enjoying a lot of time with my family, and getting back with a rested body (and hand) after a break.

Full WITB with pictures

Week 12 is officially in the books. My numbers were close to or better than previous weeks, so I'd call it a pretty good week. It was highlighted by my fastest swing to date with my heaviest club, regular swing, at 106. I did have 107 as my highest for the week, but I'm really proud of that one. I'm still struggling to top 114 as my all time high, but I'm hoping since winter shutdown started today I'll see faster swings.

20181221_192517-01.jpeg

The answer your question@Calypso55, I just try to keep it consistent. I will tweak stuff here and there to see what yields better results, but nothing extreme. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm probably the worst golfer here and I don't want to mess with what I do right. At least anything to do with SuperSpeed can't make my putting worse.

MPR, enjoy your week off from training and I hope your hand gets to feeling better.

Mike, keep up the good work and please keep us up to date on how it's going.

I'm hoping that I can get out and hit some balls while I'm off. Tennessee weather is crazy and it's turning my world into a swamp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

4 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'll be interested in everyone else's answers to this, but for my part, changing my swing to increase speed isn't merely not something I avoid;  it is one of the main goals I have when swinging. As I've continued in this program through the first 8 weeks or so, I've continually found small swing tweaks that add speed at the right part of the swing. This includes things like wrist hinges, fuller shoulder turns, the (obvious) weight shift, posting up stronger on my left leg at impact.

The question raised by such tweaks, of course, is whether they can be sustained playably when I have a ball I need to control. That's where those of you doing the protocols while continuing to be able to play have an advantage. I'm trying to blend both by mixing in rounds on the Optishot.

I think this is a good thing.  I have been going through a swing change since April anyway; not necessarily for speed, but it has helped.  After starting the SS training, I have noticed that when I make a swing like my new swing, I have more speed than when I make a swing with my old swing.  I can actually feel the difference with the SS sticks, and the radar reflects that.  I know I can do more, so I do use the training to find out what works and what doesn't.

@Calypso55 I'm not sure what you mean by "fudge a little bit to cheat the system".  I will do whatever I can to get more speed.  If a grip change makes a difference, I will do it.  I don't think it's cheating; it's just finding what works to give more speed.  Doesn't matter how you get it; what will matter is whether or not it's something that can be controlled on the course.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Week 12 Update

At Calypso and MPR I know Christmas is crazy for us Pastor types but Calypso will appreciate that I'm the Sole Pastor of a Church that is close to the size of Trinity Sheboygan right now, smaller parish but way larger school with tons of stuff going on.  We're also down a youth worker so where we would normally have three full time church workers, it's me and some occasional help from a retired guy from our circuit, others have stepped up big time to help me out but I am fried.  I didn't even realize what week number it was for this update!!!

At any rate here are the numbers:

Green RH 109  LH 109  Blue  RH 106  LH 102  Red RH 102  LH 97

I ended up only able to do two workouts this week.  I thought that I may have been able to sneak a third one in midweek but was still sick and the weather outside was indeed frightful - Thursday and Yesterday were like going through a tropical storm with wind gusts over 50 and 5 plus inches of rain. 

Today was epic in that I had my best morning workout ever and set or tied records across the board left handed.  109?  It was accurate too because I hit 107 on another swing and 96 LH kneeling.  Even though I didn't have a huge top number I was very fast today across the board with everything.

@Calypso - the purpose of the SuperSpeed training is to train our brains to swing faster.  It's possible that there is something in our swings that slow us down beyond the obvious God given athletic gifts that we possess (or lack there of.)  I would say that it is not at all cheating to try different things, like a grip change, to increase speed.  To be honest I will do just that on the course on occasion - I know that I have 10 extra yards in the bag by switching to a baseball or 10 finger grip - there are holes out there were I will do just that - I'm not as consistent but making that move on 18 at my home course makes sense - its a 420 yard par 4 - at the outer reaches of what I can do in regulation so I'm not hurting anything if I duck hook it (that's the miss that I bring into play by making that switch) - I just lay up and play for 5.

More importantly though I think that SuperSpeed teaches us how to use the ground to create speed in our swings.  What I've found is that the real "cheat" in the grip is to grip it as lightly as possible - that's what unleashes speed - it's like a baseball pitcher - when he's throwing a fastball the arm will just follow the body - if we wants to take something off the fastball he grips the ball tighter - he can make the exact same motion with the same arms speed and angle but the pitch looses velocity - that's the principal at play here!  IMO at least.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Went to the driving range for the first time in three weeks. I can tell a difference on how I hit the ball since the last time. Golf is definitely a game you have to keep at to remain sharp. My drives were ballooning and my irons lost some crispness. Nearly hit a car when one went over the net. Guy next to me looked at me and said, "D *#n, that was close".

My driver speed was still averaging 92. I'm hoping in two weeks I'll see the jump again. I did take a video once I got home of driver swings with no ball and averaged 93.6. The speed is there.

It just goes to show how different we all are - I'm significantly slower on average swinging the driver while not hitting a shot.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Santa got me some speedsticks for my Christmas/Birthday present 

Cool

Enjoy them! (Well maybe enjoy isn’t the best word - how how about - benefit from the greatly - there has to be some effort involved in improving

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Just now, sirchunksalot said:

Now you just have to post a video of your non-dominant swing. emoji16.png

It's a rite-of-passage hazing ritual for this thread 🙂

Which reminds me: I've not posted a video of mine 🙂

Full WITB with pictures

Monday is my protocol day, but I did it yesterday and resting around the Christmas tree today and tomorrow.  Headed home on Wednesday, and my protocol that day will be in the late afternoon.  First one late in the day.  We will see...

Merry Christmas everyone!

I'll actually be doing a protocol tomorrow since I did one yesterday, went to the range today, and am playing golf Wednesday. I don't really have to travel for Christmas, so it'll be a good time to do it.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas.

Now you just have to post a video of your non-dominant swing.

Yikes!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Yikes!

One good thing about it is that it'll get better. It's awkward - really, really, awkward at first and then it's more natural. I don't know about hitting a ball with it. I think if I could find a cheap left handed driver I might try.

Glad you got a SuperSpeed set, I'm looking forward to reading about your experience with them.

One good thing about it is that it'll get better. It's awkward - really, really, awkward at first and then it's more natural. I don't know about hitting a ball with it. I think if I could find a cheap left handed driver I might try.

Glad you got a SuperSpeed set, I'm looking forward to reading about your experience with them.

I owe it all to you testers. I 100% wouldn't have purchased it otherwise. One of many things that I own due to forum reviews, and it won't be the last.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I will be doing a protocol today. One more service to go, then home, open presents, nap, cook dinner and while it’s cooking it’s SuperSpeed time!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Posted over in my other thread that I built a set of sticks for Kirke for Christmas.

IMG_20181223_210242.jpeg.cac163fe1ef5ab3d9fc40ddeca2888e4.jpeg

I saved it for his last present, because he could see it was a golf club shaped box and the anticipation was killing him. As soon as he opened it, he grabbed all three to head to the basement to swing. His actual words: "See ya!"

So I got out the radar and he did his first protocol. Top speed with each club: 62, 56, 51.

He'll turn six on Saturday. He has another golf present coming that is going to blow him away, but I'll post that later.

Full WITB with pictures