Jump to content

Does anyone have experiance with the Fujikura Ventus 4t Core shaft included with the new Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

I cannot find any information about this, from Fujikura and I want to know the specs, they aren't on the Tour Edge website so I don't know how to find them, I emailed the Sales rep for Tour Edge but I haven't gotten a response yet

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enjoy your time here ūüėÄ

The Taylormade version of the ventus has a torque of 3.8 for the blue 6s and the velocore version has a torque if 3.1. Those will feel significantly different.  A .5 difference in torque will change t

You can't quantify feel like the other parameters you mention. It is extremely personal. Some people try to use torque values to help but that isn't exactly the end all be all of feel. If you are l

Posted Images

The specs are right on tour edge’s page. It’s possible it’s a made for tour edge shaft.

 

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the link to the Ventus site, which has the specs at the bottom. https://fujikuragolf.com/woods/ventus

I was lucky enough to hit the new Ventus Blue and Ventus Black at a PGA Super Store in Palm Springs, CA. There was no one else in the store so I hit maybe 10 shafts on 3 different driver heads while chatting to various sales people.

The Ventus Black VeloCore was my favorite shaft of the bunch. It has a very stiff tip, similar to the HZRDUS line, but is softer feeling in the mid- and butt-sections. Subjectively, it really feels like I could load this shaft, and that it gave an extra whip through the ball. Even at my moderate swing speed of 106mph it didn't feel to "board-y", and produced spin numbers in the low 2000s with a 13.5* launch angle. 

For comparison, I also hit the HRZDUS Smoke and Smoke Green shafts. While the numbers were good, they felt like they had no action to them and were not right for my swing.

Edited by zrumble
Correction
  • Like 1

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph
 

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, zrumble said:

Here is the link to the Ventus site, which has the specs at the bottom. https://fujikuragolf.com/woods/ventus

I was lucky enough to hit the new Ventus Blue and Ventus Black at a PGA Super Store in Palm Springs, CA. There was no one else in the store so I hit maybe 10 shafts on 3 different driver heads while chatting to various sales people.

The Ventus Black 4T was my favorite shaft of the bunch. It has a very stiff tip, similar to the HZRDUS line, but is softer feeling in the mid- and butt-sections. Subjectively, it really feels like I could load this shaft, and that it gave an extra whip through the ball. Even at my moderate swing speed of 106mph it didn't feel to "board-y", and produced spin numbers in the low 2000s with a 13.5* launch angle. 

For comparison, I also hit the HRZDUS Smoke and Smoke Green shafts. While the numbers were good, they felt like they had no action to them and were not right for my swing.

Unless you are seeing something I’m not seeing the 4t specs aren’t on fujikura’s site. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unless you are seeing something I’m not seeing the 4t specs aren’t on fujikura’s site. 

You‚Äôre right, I did more research on the topic. Both Taylormade and Tour Edge have a ‚Äúmade for‚ÄĚ version of the shaft.¬†

Fujikura quote (from GolfWRX)

"The STOCK shafts used in the new TaylorMade products is a Ventus part without VeloCore Technology (no Pitch 70 ton or 40 ton in the bias core) that we worked in conjunction with TM to optimize the performance for a wide range of golfers. Please refer to TaylorMade for specs.

note: TaylorMade is the ONLY company offering ventus without VeloCore as their stock shaft. And their custom upgrade shafts are the aftermarket versions, hence the upcharge. So if you see a ventus part at another OEM it is our aftermarket part with VeloCore and carries a $350 MSRP. the only exception is Tour Edge has a Ventus with "4T Core" which is same construction as VeloCore, but without the $$$ Pitch 70T material. 4T core is all high-mod 40 Ton in the full length bias core."

 

Not confusing at all...

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph
 

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up a grey Ventus with 4Tcore in a stiff flex.  I spined it and have been using it in my Ping driver.  My shaft that I have used with this head has been a Kuro Kage TiNi stiff.  Been using that shaft for 2 years.  I believe that Ventus to be stiffer and a bit lower in ball flight.  Will be switching back to the KK in the near future as I like the feel of that shaft and probably know it better.

 

That said, I have also been demoing the real Ventus blue with velocore  stiff in a Mavrik lately.  Probably played 2 rounds and had some range time with it.  My very limited observation is that the real Ventus feels better to me.  Can't really make a head to head comparison as I am using  Ping vs Callaway.  Must say the Mavrik and Ventus is probably longer but it seems I really have to go after the ball hard.  I think the Ventus is a bit to stiff for my 95 - 100 mph swing.  Would like to try ther Ventus in a regular flex but regrettably my club does not carry that shaft in the fitting cart.

 

Am currently playing to a 6 hndcp just for background.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably an apple to orange comparison....

I bought last years model EXS that came with a MCA Tensei CK 60-S. I didn't go through a fitting per se' as I usually perform - work it out¬†myself. I did hit the club at the shop a little before buying and decided to give it a try anyway. Initially the indoor LM data was ok but not great. Then, outdoors I went.¬†My observations all around were awful. I hated everything about the feel, shot patterns, and flight. I tinkered around with the settings but the EXS was looking like a non-starter. The next day I decided to try the shaft that I'd been playing successfully in my SLDR. I happen to have a spare so I installed the EXS adapter onto the Fujikura Speeder 57-S and it was an amazing change. All of a sudden the EXS came alive. I didn't bother spine'ng¬†the shaft. I did make a few more adjustments with the settings. The EXS is now a fairway machine and I'm sure I'll play it for many years. Moral of the story is - don't rely on¬†LM data¬†for anything more¬†than perhaps a starting point - go no go. If that. I think finding the proper shaft and ideal adjustment of the head for your swing and preferred ball flight¬†is critical. And do all this outdoors. With a little time and patience you can fit yourself easily.¬†ūüŹĆÔłŹ‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ

My Sun Mountain¬†bag currently includes:¬†¬†¬†TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png¬†771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png¬†PFC Micro Tour-c 52¬į, 56¬į, 60¬†wedges

                                                                               :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

                                                                                :edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I hit this up on a business trip to Seattle. It's the next driver I'm going to get. I already play their XCG5 3 wood which is super hot. I put it up against the Mavrik and the Sim Driver with the Ventus 4T shaft and my misses were so much tighter and my bombs were easily 8-15 yards longer. Nice load feeling at the top. For me I also feel it was a low spinning shaft. I was averaging a 107-108 SS averaging 1890 rpm. Hitting BOMBS. I want to try it with their HZRDUS Yellow shaft as it is a lighter shaft, not that the Ventus. I tend to do better with lighter driver shafts at my 5'8" 160 lbs frame. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As Ian Fraser from TXG says, the only thing these shafts have in common with the real deal Ventus is pain and the the Ventus name. 

Profile and material quality are very different. 

It's a shame fujikura would sell out their flagship product like that 

  • Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X
 
SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jlukes said:

As Ian Fraser from TXG says, the only thing these shafts have in common with the real deal Ventus is pain and the the Ventus name. 

Profile and material quality are very different. 

It's a shame fujikura would sell out their flagship product like that 

According to a rep for Fujikura (quote posted above), the differences in the made for versions are lower modulus prepreg in the bias layup (impacts torque) otherwise the remaining layups are the same. TXG stating that the only commonality is the name is a bit disingenuous (that may be more relevant to Matt’s 120+ mph swing speed but the regular Ventus Blue also isn’t a good fit for him).

What we really need for a true comparison is for someone to profile each shaft at multiple points.

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, storm319 said:

According to a rep for Fujikura (quote posted above), the differences in the made for versions are lower modulus prepreg in the bias layup (impacts torque) otherwise the remaining layups are the same. TXG stating that the only commonality is the name is a bit disingenuous (that may be more relevant to Matt’s 120+ mph swing speed but the regular Ventus Blue also isn’t a good fit for him).

What we really need for a true comparison is for someone to profile each shaft at multiple points.

There’s a significant difference in torque so they will feel different and the biggest difference is there is no velocore technology in the axe for which is the whole purpose and design of the ventus shafts. Without the velocore it’s just another shaft.

@yungkory has provided feedback of both versions.

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s a significant difference in torque so they will feel different and the biggest difference is there is no velocore technology in the axe for which is the whole purpose and design of the ventus shafts. Without the velocore it’s just another shaft.

@yungkory has provided feedback of both versions.

Granted the different companies could be measuring torque differently, all 3 are listed between 3 and 4 degrees in stiff flex which is not significant. 

This hype reminds me of the Aldila Rogue launch 5 years ago. So many people claimed that the Rogue Solver 125 MSI was significantly different than the 110 MSI. The reality was that the exotic material was only used in a small section of a single layup that ultimately had no impact on the stiffness profile (Wishon’s profile measurements confirmed that the 125 vs 110 were basically identical from a stiffness standpoint). 

Again, until we see quantitative measurements comparing each model, comparisons are pure conjecture based on perception which is not always accurate (isn’t quantifiable data the foundation of this site?).

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, storm319 said:

Granted the different companies could be measuring torque differently, all 3 are listed between 3 and 4 degrees in stiff flex which is not significant. 

This hype reminds me of the Aldila Rogue launch 5 years ago. So many people claimed that the Rogue Solver 125 MSI was significantly different than the 110 MSI. The reality was that the exotic material was only used in a small section of a single layup that ultimately had no impact on the stiffness profile (Wishon’s profile measurements confirmed that the 125 vs 110 were basically identical from a stiffness standpoint). 

Again, until we see quantitative measurements comparing each model, comparisons are pure conjecture based on perception which is not always accurate (isn’t quantifiable data the foundation of this site?).

The Taylormade version of the ventus has a torque of 3.8 for the blue 6s and the velocore version has a torque if 3.1. Those will feel significantly different.  A .5 difference in torque will change the feel and I am speaking form experience of have a ef blue and a one of of that shaft with a higher .5 higher torque. 
 

The shafts by using different prepregs also makes the shafts different. It’s no different than the pro 2.0 and the pro 2.0 tour spec as well as atmos blue and atmos blue tour spec from fujikura. Once the velocore is removed from the shaft then it is no longer a Ventus other than name. From what I’ve heard fujikura sold the name name to TM. Usually what happens with made for shafts is the club manufacturer reaches out to a shaft manufacturer and tells the what they want a shaft to do, the shaft manufacturer then uses their design sheets to plug in a bunch of different values and materials until they get the specs they are looking for. Would be surprised if something different happened here and for the Tour edge version.

i have a ventus blue 6s and it plays firm and very tip stiff. That is not the type of play that a club manufacturer would put in a stock shaft. The purpose of a stock shaft is something that will match a wide variety of golfers and the stock shafts play soft and tend to promote high launch and spin which is what most average golfers need.  
 

Not to promote other sites but there is data on wrx for the tm made for and the real deal. Most of the higher swing speed players have said that the made for is soft and high spin compared to the real deal. 

Edit: also the 4t core doesn’t use the red,blue, black name of the real deal and tm made for, which is an indication it’s a different shaft from the tm and real deal shafts

  • Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The Taylormade version of the ventus has a torque of 3.8 for the blue 6s and the velocore version has a torque if 3.1. Those will feel significantly different.  A .5 difference in torque will change the feel and I am speaking form experience of have a ef blue and a one of of that shaft with a higher .5 higher torque. 
 

The shafts by using different prepregs also makes the shafts different. It’s no different than the pro 2.0 and the pro 2.0 tour spec as well as atmos blue and atmos blue tour spec from fujikura. Once the velocore is removed from the shaft then it is no longer a Ventus other than name. From what I’ve heard fujikura sold the name name to TM. Usually what happens with made for shafts is the club manufacturer reaches out to a shaft manufacturer and tells the what they want a shaft to do, the shaft manufacturer then uses their design sheets to plug in a bunch of different values and materials until they get the specs they are looking for. Would be surprised if something different happened here and for the Tour edge version.

i have a ventus blue 6s and it plays firm and very tip stiff. That is not the type of play that a club manufacturer would put in a stock shaft. The purpose of a stock shaft is something that will match a wide variety of golfers and the stock shafts play soft and tend to promote high launch and spin which is what most average golfers need.  
 

Not to promote other sites but there is data on wrx for the tm made for and the real deal. Most of the higher swing speed players have said that the made for is soft and high spin compared to the real deal. 

Edit: also the 4t core doesn’t use the red,blue, black name of the real deal and tm made for, which is an indication it’s a different shaft from the tm and real deal shafts

Again, subjective perception is not a useful comparison. Without consistent objective measurements comparison is pure conjecture.

As for the Fuji tour spec comparison, do you know for a fact that the difference between the two is down to a single bias layup with everything else being the same? Also keep in mind that Fuji has actually released past tour spec models that were in fact softer than the regular version (that is based on the butt and top measurements on their actual site). 

As for stock shafts with stiff tips, there have been several of examples from the big OEMs in recent years (Matrix HD6/PX HZRDS Yellow for TM, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI/Rogue MAX for Titleist, etc). The days of offering a single universal stock shaft in an attempt to cover a wide range of swings is all but dead, most big OEMs have adopted a model of offering multiple options targeted at different demographics to provide more choices which is good for everyone. 

Next on the Ventus color usage, none of the versions have the color listed on the actual shaft graphics. TEE likely doesn‚Äôt list ‚Äúblue‚ÄĚ on the website because that is the only version they offer (TM has a lighter weight red option).¬†

Lastly, if you have a link or reference to consistent profile measurements of these shafts so that we can see the objective differences it would be greatly appreciated.

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, storm319 said:

Again, subjective perception is not a useful comparison. Without consistent objective measurements comparison is pure conjecture.

As for the Fuji tour spec comparison, do you know for a fact that the difference between the two is down to a single bias layup with everything else being the same? Also keep in mind that Fuji has actually released past tour spec models that were in fact softer than the regular version (that is based on the butt and top measurements on their actual site). 

As for stock shafts with stiff tips, there have been several of examples from the big OEMs in recent years (Matrix HD6/PX HZRDS Yellow for TM, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI/Rogue MAX for Titleist, etc). The days of offering a single universal stock shaft in an attempt to cover a wide range of swings is all but dead, most big OEMs have adopted a model of offering multiple options targeted at different demographics to provide more choices which is good for everyone. 

Next on the Ventus color usage, none of the versions have the color listed on the actual shaft graphics. TEE likely doesn‚Äôt list ‚Äúblue‚ÄĚ on the website because that is the only version they offer (TM has a lighter weight red option).¬†

Lastly, if you have a link or reference to consistent profile measurements of these shafts so that we can see the objective differences it would be greatly appreciated.

Nobody other than the designers and people making the shafts will now why the difference are in how many flags layers are different or how the are placed on the mandrel, that’s proprietary information. A place like golfshaftreviews might have the EI profile for the real deal and the made for versions of various shafts. What I do know is that the TM made for shaft is using lower end prepreg and doesn’t have the velocore technology which is why when you go on TMs site and customize the driver you ba the choice of the velocore shaft for $250 upgrade of the made for with out that for no upcharge. Also the real deal has velocore printed near the tip and the made for doesn’t. As for the 4t core the fact you can buy it new for $120 on eBay indicates it lacks the the velocore technology.

grpahite allows shaft brands to do a lot of things with how shafts play from feel, laugh, spin thru the use of the materials used how they are placed on the mandrel and the length and angle of the cut. So fujikura could get  4t core to play similar to the real deal without using higher end materials. I watched one brand design a one off shaft play like a shaft from another another brand. 

Not even sure what you are trying to say in your second paragrpah. 
 

for the color the color doesn’t have to be listed on the shaft each shaft is actually colored the same as the name this goes for both the real deal and tm made for and the tour edge is a different color completely.

I don’t care about shaft EI profiles so I haven’t spent the $10 on golfshaftreviews but if you want to see if they have the differences you can do so. 

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nobody other than the designers and people making the shafts will now why the difference are in how many flags layers are different or how the are placed on the mandrel, that’s proprietary information. A place like golfshaftreviews might have the EI profile for the real deal and the made for versions of various shafts. What I do know is that the TM made for shaft is using lower end prepreg and doesn’t have the velocore technology which is why when you go on TMs site and customize the driver you ba the choice of the velocore shaft for $250 upgrade of the made for with out that for no upcharge. Also the real deal has velocore printed near the tip and the made for doesn’t. As for the 4t core the fact you can buy it new for $120 on eBay indicates it lacks the the velocore technology.

grpahite allows shaft brands to do a lot of things with how shafts play from feel, laugh, spin thru the use of the materials used how they are placed on the mandrel and the length and angle of the cut. So fujikura could get  4t core to play similar to the real deal without using higher end materials. I watched one brand design a one off shaft play like a shaft from another another brand. 

Not even sure what you are trying to say in your second paragrpah. 
 

for the color the color doesn’t have to be listed on the shaft each shaft is actually colored the same as the name this goes for both the real deal and tm made for and the tour edge is a different color completely.

I don’t care about shaft EI profiles so I haven’t spent the $10 on golfshaftreviews but if you want to see if they have the differences you can do so. 

It baffles me when people are more concerned with the material story than the end result. 

Wishon’s profile software has shown countless examples of a high cost, overhyped shaft touting a compelling material story having a nearly identical stiffness profile, weight, and balance point as a number of different shafts at a fraction of the cost (to the point where many of the big shaft OEMs stopped cooperating due to fear of a drop in sales). Now if you place a very high value on feel, that is fine but it does not result in a night and day difference in terms of the actual end result.

If some exotic material in a specific section of a single layup doesn’t result in a material difference in stiffness, then what is the point of the added cost? Now, I am not saying that these different versions of the Ventus are identical, but what we don’t know objectively is how different are they in reality. Fujikura’s response on the differences have probably caused more confusion than provided clarity (TEE version is the same minus a lower modulus marterial in the bias layer which has little impact on the actual stiffness profile and basically that they don’t know on the TM version since they had little to no involvement).

  • Like 1

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Link to post
Share on other sites
It baffles me when people are more concerned with the material story than the end result. 

Wishon’s profile software has shown countless examples of a high cost, overhyped shaft touting a compelling material story having a nearly identical stiffness profile, weight, and balance point as a number of different shafts at a fraction of the cost (to the point where many of the big shaft OEMs stopped cooperating due to fear of a drop in sales). Now if you place a very high value on feel, that is fine but it does not result in a night and day difference in terms of the actual end result.

If some exotic material in a specific section of a single layup doesn’t result in a material difference in stiffness, then what is the point of the added cost? Now, I am not saying that these different versions of the Ventus are identical, but what we don’t know objectively is how different are they in reality. Fujikura’s response on the differences have probably caused more confusion than provided clarity (TEE version is the same minus a lower modulus marterial in the bias layer which has little impact on the actual stiffness profile and basically that they don’t know on the TM version since they had little to no involvement).

I think you are getting too hung up on stiffness similarities. If we use your example of the Aldila Rogue 125MSI and the 110MSI and them have basically the same stiffness profile, they should play the same. I tried them both and they were night and day different for me. The same length and weight 110 felt harsh while the 125 felt significantly smoother and easier to load. So to me I would have guessed that the 110 was stiffer. Thus creating much better launch, spin, and dispersion with the 125. Again this is just my experience with them. Yours could be completely different.

Also the materials can create a different feel which can lead to a golfer deliver the club slightly different this creating different launch, spin, etc. Some golfers are very sensitive to how a shaft feels and others aren't. Machines are great for finding equipment that MAY be similar but the only way to know whether the made for Ventus ¬ô, Ventus 4T (Tour Edge), and the Ventus Velocore is to try them yourself.

 

Everybody seems to get so caught up with numbers for everything they forget that the numbers are only a starting point.

 

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

 

 

 

 

 

 

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, storm319 said:

It baffles me when people are more concerned with the material story than the end result. 

Wishon’s profile software has shown countless examples of a high cost, overhyped shaft touting a compelling material story having a nearly identical stiffness profile, weight, and balance point as a number of different shafts at a fraction of the cost (to the point where many of the big shaft OEMs stopped cooperating due to fear of a drop in sales). Now if you place a very high value on feel, that is fine but it does not result in a night and day difference in terms of the actual end result.

If some exotic material in a specific section of a single layup doesn’t result in a material difference in stiffness, then what is the point of the added cost? Now, I am not saying that these different versions of the Ventus are identical, but what we don’t know objectively is how different are they in reality. Fujikura’s response on the differences have probably caused more confusion than provided clarity (TEE version is the same minus a lower modulus marterial in the bias layer which has little impact on the actual stiffness profile and basically that they don’t know on the TM version since they had little to no involvement).

They are completely different materials 40t prepeg is much different from 70t as is the cost.

we don’t know and will never know what materials are placed where in the shafts or how they are placed on the mandrel or in what length or angle. All of those go into how stiff a shaft is, the weight and the torque.  Fujikura and any other shaft company won’t share that with the public because it’s their company proprietary information. The shaft of the mandrel also plays a roll in how the shaft is done and companies has numerous mandrels for different type of shafts. When you take the velocore technology out of the shaft it no longer is the same shaft but rather a shaft with the same name. They aren’t going to give away the goods for free so to get the cost down from the upcharge price to a free shaft offering they have to use cheaper materials. This doesn’t mean a shaft is of lesser quality it’s just not as expensive to make. 
 

The only specs I could find for the 4t core shaft was what was in the description on an eBay site. Based on that it looks like tour edge wanted a shaft that had similar characteristics to the real deal shaft but at a price range that they could offer as stock without changing the price of their driver. So fujikura removes the velocore technology and changes the material used to make the shaft. Based on that material they place the prepreg on the mandrel in a layout that provides the same specs.  With the TM version it looks like TM wanted to keep similar launch characteristics but with a higher torque to make the shaft feel better for the average golfer. So fujikura again removes the velocore technology and uses lower cost materials and changes the design to go from torque of 3.1 to 3.8. 

I have had the opportunity to visit two shaft companies and see how shafts are made and at one of them had the chance to design my own based on my personal feedback of a test shaft. The test shaft happens to be the even flow blue. The performance of the shaft was fine from a launch and spin perspective and offered improved dispersion over the rogue shaft I was fit into by the titleist reps. The only issue I had was the feel. I felt like I had to go after it sometimes. The design engineer for PX changed the material used and the length of the flags in the middle of the shaft to add more torque while maintaining the performance characteristics. 

there’s a lot that goes into shaft design and the numbers are going to vary from person to person. 

 

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites

As for objective data and comparisons it’s going to be hard to find any number of people that have tried or play the 4t core and the real deal shaft. People interested in the tour edge drivers aren’t very high and those who are tend to look for cost effective options that perform well. Those same people aren’t going to spend more on a shaft than a full driver. And those who are looking to spend $300+ on a shaft aren’t interested in stock shafts or tour edge drivers.

 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

I think you are getting too hung up on stiffness similarities. If we use your example of the Aldila Rogue 125MSI and the 110MSI and them have basically the same stiffness profile, they should play the same. I tried them both and they were night and day different for me. The same length and weight 110 felt harsh while the 125 felt significantly smoother and easier to load. So to me I would have guessed that the 110 was stiffer. Thus creating much better launch, spin, and dispersion with the 125. Again this is just my experience with them. Yours could be completely different.

Also the materials can create a different feel which can lead to a golfer deliver the club slightly different this creating different launch, spin, etc. Some golfers are very sensitive to how a shaft feels and others aren't. Machines are great for finding equipment that MAY be similar but the only way to know whether the made for Ventus , Ventus 4T (Tour Edge), and the Ventus Velocore is to try them yourself.

 

Everybody seems to get so caught up with numbers for everything they forget that the numbers are only a starting point.

 

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

 

 

 

On the other hand, many people get over obsessed with a certain feel and end up with a less than optimal end result. If you weigh feel higher in importance than other measurable parameters that is fine but you will be hard pressed to find a good club fitter that will place feel above stiffness profile, weight, and weight distribution in the hierarchy of importance.

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...