Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

LOST BALL AND LOST PROVISIONAL BALL

Brian Oats

Player's tee shot heading towards thick bushes

Player announces playing Provisional Ball it also goes straight towards same thick bushes.

Player unable to find either ball and decides to take 2 shot penalty drop on fairway at or near agreed area where 1st ball deemed lost - therefore playing 4th shot.

Question is - should player take 2 shot penalty by drop on fairway at or near agreed area where Provisional ball deemed lost (assume same large bush) - therefore playing 6th shot.

Club has adopted drop on fairway rule for lost ball.

Cannot find definitive rule  to cover this.

Can anyone help? Thanks Brian.

Rule 18.2b tells us what to do when a ball is lost or out of bounds. Player can always decided to take stroke and distance penalty for one penalty. In this case hitting 5 off the tee. Or player can choice to invoke MLRE-5 (rule book / app has lots of examples of where to drop) and would be playing 6

7 hours ago, Brian Oats said:

Player's tee shot heading towards thick bushes

Player announces playing Provisional Ball it also goes straight towards same thick bushes.

Player unable to find either ball and decides to take 2 shot penalty drop on fairway at or near agreed area where 1st ball deemed lost - therefore playing 4th shot.

Question is - should player take 2 shot penalty by drop on fairway at or near agreed area where Provisional ball deemed lost (assume same large bush) - therefore playing 6th shot.

Cannot find definitive rule  to cover this.

Can anyone help? Thanks Brian.

The rules would progress like this; applicable rules would be 18.2 and 18.3

when the player reaches the point where the first ball would be and it cannot be found, the provisional ball becomes the ball in play.   Since the provisional ball cannot be found, you can then proceed under the lost ball rule; for the provisional which is now the ball in play, which is stroke and distance and since the club has adopted the local rule you can follow that rule.  Player is hitting 6th shot.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

when the player reaches the point where the first ball would be and it cannot be found, the provisional ball becomes the ball in play.   Since the provisional ball cannot be found, you can then proceed under the lost ball rule; for the provisional which is now the ball in play, which is stroke and distance and since the club has adopted the local rule you can follow that rule.  Player is hitting 6th shot.  

Correct — I had this exact situation happen to me a few weeks ago, and I got DQ’d because I didn’t count my strokes correctly (I thought that I was hitting 5 when I should have known that I was hitting my 6th shot). I marked my score card with an 8, but changed it to an X, which is an automatic DQ, of course.  This was on a winter golf tour that I play on.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

• 1 month later...

The provisional ball is not in play unless it passed the point where the first ball is deemed to have been lost. USGA rules consider the first ball to still be the ball in-play, unless the provisional ball is nearer the hole than the first ball. In the first instance, if the ball went out of bounds , and the provisional ball went out of bounds shorter than the first lost ball, if the player decides to take a two stroke penalty from the point of the first lost ball, it would in deed be his 4th shot, not the 6th, because the provisional ball is still not the ball in play.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:23 AM, cnosil said:

11 hours ago, Golfmajor said:

The provisional ball is not in play unless it passed the point where the first ball is deemed to have been lost. USGA rules consider the first ball to still be the ball in-play, unless the provisional ball is nearer the hole than the first ball. In the first instance, if the ball went out of bounds , and the provisional ball went out of bounds shorter than the first lost ball, if the player decides to take a two stroke penalty from the point of the first lost ball, it would in deed be his 4th shot, not the 6th, because the provisional ball is still not the ball in play.

No, you may not use Model Local Rule E-5 for the original ball after you have played a provisional.  This restriction is near the end of the Local Rule, Section 8E in Committee Procedures.  Therefore, the ONLY ball for which you can take E-5 Relief is for the Provisional Ball, which means laying 5 after dropping in the large Relief Area available.  Model Local Rule E-5 is the "drop on fairway rule" mentioned in the Original Post.

On 1/26/2022 at 12:39 AM, Brian Oats said:

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia