Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft smothered in epoxy.. Help!

Morning all,

Thread title is relatively self explanatory, my driver shaft is coated in epoxy!

I normally do small jobs myself, but with the tip on my driver coming loose (but not off!) I opted to send it into a local pro who I trust.  Shaft is aftermarket and I knew I couldn't safely get the tip off as I don't have the tools currently to pull, save the shaft and not put too much heat through it.

I picked up the driver Saturday AM and got straight out on my round.  The shaft is coated in epoxy, as is the grip somehow, and the tip looks like it has had pliers on it (or similar).  I've obviously complained to my pro, but don't particularly want him to resolve it if I am honest.  Trust is gone.

Is there a safe way to get the excess epoxy off the shaft, or it is going to be a case of spirits and a little heat?

4 hours ago, Hopewell said:

Morning all,

Thread title is relatively self explanatory, my driver shaft is coated in epoxy!

I normally do small jobs myself, but with the tip on my driver coming loose (but not off!) I opted to send it into a local pro who I trust.  Shaft is aftermarket and I knew I couldn't safely get the tip off as I don't have the tools currently to pull, save the shaft and not put too much heat through it.

I picked up the driver Saturday AM and got straight out on my round.  The shaft is coated in epoxy, as is the grip somehow, and the tip looks like it has had pliers on it (or similar).  I've obviously complained to my pro, but don't particularly want him to resolve it if I am honest.  Trust is gone.

Is there a safe way to get the excess epoxy off the shaft, or it is going to be a case of spirits and a little heat?

Pictures would help tremendously before any advice can really be given. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Update: Potentially crisis averted!  Pro/Assistant used Araldite Rapid 15 min. Scraping with plastic and then non-acetone nailpolish remover has removed the bulk of the residue.  Only issue now, is that chances are the tip will come off after a good few hits so I am probably back to square one, plus a new tip required.

24 minutes ago, Hopewell said:

Update: Potentially crisis averted!  Pro/Assistant used Araldite Rapid 15 min. Scraping with plastic and then non-acetone nailpolish remover has removed the bulk of the residue.  Only issue now, is that chances are the tip will come off after a good few hits so I am probably back to square one, plus a new tip required.

Oh boy. Hopefully they find a way to make this right for you.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, Hopewell said:

... Next time just slowly pour boiling water over the epoxy and it should come off pretty easily just using your fingernail to gently scrape it off. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

... New time just slowly pour boiling water over the epoxy and it should come off pretty easily just using your fingernail to gently scrape it off. 

Very simple! Potentially silly Q, but I am assuming this won't impact the integrity of the shaft? 

2 hours ago, Hopewell said:

Very simple! Potentially silly Q, but I am assuming this won't impact the integrity of the shaft? 

... Nope and not silly at all. Boiling water can sometimes loosen Tour Epoxy on an adaptor if you submerge it for 30 seconds or more but not always. I usually submerge mine in boiling water then I only need just a little additional heat from a torch. Simply pouring boiling water over the shaft, head or adaptor will only slightly soften residue epoxy enough to scrape off with your fingernail.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x