Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

PING i59 Irons

I am getting fitted tomorrow for PING i59 irons. I have been using PING iBlades for about 5 years, since they came out. I am planning to replace them with the i59s which are promoted as the next generation irons. I am not convinced that i59s are for me because they claim to hit the ball higher which is something that I don't need but they also claim to be a bit more forgiving. Their price is also a factor. They are outrageously high priced. I would like to hear what others think about these irons.

I want a Kirk Tripplet PING hat 🙂

Hi Don and welcome to the forum.  I had a chance to hit the i59's a couple months ago at a PING Demo.  I hit them quite well but did not find them as forgiving as my current ZX5's or the G425's. I do think they were a bit longer, but not much. I also hit the G525's a couple weeks ago and found those to be pretty much a "throw a hat over them" performance wise compared to my Srixon's.  I do like the looks of the i59's but feel they are a little too unforgiving for me.  Like you, I don't have an issue getting balls up and it would appear we have similar games. Not sure what shafts you use but my latest fitting was principally to switch into composite shafts in order to reduce wear n' tear on my left shoulder.  

Personally, my preference leans towards what I call the "player improvement" category - not a term officially used but one that I think accurately describes a handful of iron models out there (ZX5's being one)... all based on my recent deep dive into new shafts and irons.

Look forward to hearing what you think of them.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

They are good irons and i don’t think they go any higher than other clubs in my limited time with them. The amount of height a ball gets is going to depend on the golfer. 

They are somewhat expensive but based on what I’ve seen while doing some club shopping the difference for 7 clubs for these compared to 7 clubs from other brands is only $2-300 which imo isn’t all that much in the long run of club ownership.

Let the fitter do his/her thing and see what happens with these. If you don’t like what the results are then you have the assurance that they aren’t for you and you can look elsewhere 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I hit them side by side with other irons in the same category.   I personally don't really like Ping irons; not because they don't perform but because I don't like the sound and feel.   I found that the height was pretty consistent the other irons based on data captured on a GC Quad.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My Club Champion fitting was excellent. I have been fitted in the past but this fitting was the best by far. The bottom line is that the i59s and shaft choice out performed my iBlades in all categories - ball speed, smash factor, trajectory, dispersion and carry distance. However, the Titleist T100S was better than both the iBlade and the i59 most notably in dispersion, smash factor (avg. 3.59) and carry which was, on average, 170 yards with the 6 iron. My iBlade carry distance is 160 yards. Comparisons between the i59 and the T100S were with the same shaft, a 95gm Aerotech Steelfiber shift with club lie and loft reduced by 1 degree. I really don't want to move away from PING but the T100S and shaft combination is very compelling. BTW, the cost of the i59 is approximately $70 more per club head than the T100S.

3 hours ago, Don H said:

My Club Champion fitting was excellent. I have been fitted in the past but this fitting was the best by far. The bottom line is that the i59s and shaft choice out performed my iBlades in all categories - ball speed, smash factor, trajectory, dispersion and carry distance. However, the Titleist T100S was better than both the iBlade and the i59 most notably in dispersion, smash factor (avg. 3.59) and carry which was, on average, 170 yards with the 6 iron. My iBlade carry distance is 160 yards. Comparisons between the i59 and the T100S were with the same shaft, a 95gm Aerotech Steelfiber shift with club lie and loft reduced by 1 degree. I really don't want to move away from PING but the T100S and shaft combination is very compelling. BTW, the cost of the i59 is approximately $70 more per club head than the T100S.

I mean, you get to do whatever you want, but I'd keep the $400-500 and go with the T100's. Hard to justify paying more for something you know is lower in performance... 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

4 hours ago, Don H said:

What matters more? Brand loyalty or having the best club for your swing?

Whatever it is buy the one that wins between those options

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What matters more? Brand loyalty or having the best club for your swing?

Whatever it is buy the one that wins between those options

Thanks for all of the responses. I am going to order the T100S irons. They look good, feel good and perform well. That's a winning combination.

Just now, Don H said:

Thanks for all of the responses. I am going to order the T100S irons. They look good, feel good and perform well. That's a winning combination.

I think you will be pleased especially because you know they worked great in the fitting. No doubts now when you’re on course you have the best set up. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

20 hours ago, Don H said:

You will not go wrong with a set of Titleist T100S irons. I have played a set for over a year and absolutely love them! Unless you are getting paid by Ping, move on if another club fits you better. 😀

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Interesting how we all measure clubs. Grew up with blades and was fitted with Callaway Apex 5 years ago and cannot get used to them. I feel thing in my hands although both long and straight. Same with T100- very accurate but in comparison with i59 and Misuno 225, not even in the same league. The latter two tell me how I hit the ball and where on the blade the ball went so I can correct and they were also better at length control . Felt the same with the 5 iron SX5 I tried recently at a fitting visit. I guess everyone is different but if the end goal is better accuracy and lower scores I would concentrate on feel, consistency and how and where the ball lands rather than launch.