Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

I don't really consider them "BAD" shots; that is just how wide a good players normal shot pattern is.   I prefer to separate good and bad based on whether I have chance to advance the ball in a manner that I would if I were in the middle of the fairway.   Based on my stats, I hit 56% of my fairways and pattern is 60 yards wide.  Even when I miss,  I am generally able to hit advance the ball to try and hit the green.

With OttoFlex,  should be looking for same dispersion with longer distance.  

My goal is always to find a way to fail and a longer distance...heh heh...the mantra of many short hitters.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

19 hours ago, cnosil said:

I don't really consider them "BAD" shots; that is just how wide a good players normal shot pattern is.   I prefer to separate good and bad based on whether I have chance to advance the ball in a manner that I would if I were in the middle of the fairway.   Based on my stats, I hit 56% of my fairways and pattern is 60 yards wide.  Even when I miss,  I am generally able to hit advance the ball to try and hit the green.

With OttoFlex,  should be looking for same dispersion with longer distance.  

Yeah like the way you look at it, by your measure I've improved to 50% Fir. 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

This topic seems worthy of my first post 😂😂

I swing around 108 usually play 10.5* one click open. Usually xstiff I tipped or stiff tipped 1”. 44.75” and I find counterbalanced works really well for me. 

I bought the PLB in 45-A and getting some weird results. I’d say 1 out of 5 I just crush it. Using my EYE XO, good ones carry 270. The issue is that the other 4 are usually low lefts. I’m thinking it’s because of the light weight. 

Couple thoughts:

1. Maybe the swing weight is too low causing me to get super quick. 

2. Maybe I need to counterbalance this shaft with a butt weight to get my normal feel. 

3. Maybe I should try the 45-R to get some of the benefits of the light, more flexible shaft, but closer to the feel I’m used to. Has anyone tried a “happy medium”? 

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of that?

Edited by jslimerick

1 hour ago, jslimerick said:

I swing around 108 usually play 10.5* one click open. Usually xstiff I tipped or stiff tipped 1”. 44.75” and I find counterbalanced works really well for me. 

I bought the PLB in 45-A and getting some weird results. I’d say 1 out of 5 I just crush it. Using my EYE XO, good ones carry 270. The issue is that the other 4 are usually low lefts. I’m thinking it’s because of the light weight. 

Couple thoughts:

2. Maybe I need to counterbalance this shaft with a butt weight to get my normal feel. 

3. Maybe I should try the 45-R to get some of the benefits of the light, more flexible shaft, but closer to the feel I’m used to. Has anyone tried a “happy medium”? 

I would say that you have the correct flex by OttoPhlex standards. My SS when I started was 110 ish and I'm playing the A flex with some pretty mind blowing results. 

As for swing weight, I believe that it's very important to keep it between D0 and D1. Much lighter and yes you could lose the feeling of the head. Much heavier and that could impact how the face flexes. Many of us are finding that playing between 45" and 46" @ D0 to D1 seems to be a good sweet spot for control while still finding distance.

My recommendation, and what has worked for many others is to crank the loft down all the way. This should help tame those left misses some. The shaft will naturally help add more launch without having to manipulate the swing. 

Another thing that this setup has helped with is keeping my swing tempo steady. If I'm low hooking or over drawing, I know that my hands/arms are moving to quickly or I'm chasing the ball and need to slow down some, stay planted, and hit up on the ball. This issue is more swing mechanics but the setup really helps me to steady my swing when things start to go a little sideways. You can still slow your tempo down and swing fast. 

FYI, counter balancing with butt weights will only make the head feel lighter. CB'ing can be helpful in heavier shafts to give the feeling of a lighter head to improve swing speed. If it feels too light, you'd want to add head weight. Have you had the SW checked? I'm playing mine at 45" and had to add 2.5 g to get it to D0.5. I've mentioned it previously that D0.5 in the OttoPhlex doesn't feel light at all. I used to play my XS in D5. My setup now doesn't feel that much different.

Hopefully any of that was helpful 😜. Keep us all posted

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

6 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I would say that you have the correct flex by OttoPhlex standards. My SS when I started was 110 ish and I'm playing the A flex with some pretty mind blowing results. 

As for swing weight, I believe that it's very important to keep it between D0 and D1. Much lighter and yes you could lose the feeling of the head. Much heavier and that could impact how the face flexes. Many of us are finding that playing between 45" and 46" @ D0 to D1 seems to be a good sweet spot for control while still finding distance.

My recommendation, and what has worked for many others is to crank the loft down all the way. This should help tame those left misses some. The shaft will naturally help add more launch without having to manipulate the swing. 

Another thing that this setup has helped with is keeping my swing tempo steady. If I'm low hooking or over drawing, I know that my hands/arms are moving to quickly or I'm chasing the ball and need to slow down some, stay planted, and hit up on the ball. This issue is more swing mechanics but the setup really helps me to steady my swing when things start to go a little sideways. You can still slow your tempo down and swing fast. 

FYI, counter balancing with butt weights will only make the head feel lighter. CB'ing can be helpful in heavier shafts to give the feeling of a lighter head to improve swing speed. If it feels too light, you'd want to add head weight. Have you had the SW checked? I'm playing mine at 45" and had to add 2.5 g to get it to D0.5. I've mentioned it previously that D0.5 in the OttoPhlex doesn't feel light at all. I used to play my XS in D5. My setup now doesn't feel that much different.

Hopefully any of that was helpful 😜. Keep us all posted

For what it is (or isn't,,,) worth I concur with Stu's summary.  The "zone" in length is 45-46 and the "zone" for swing weight is D0-D1.  Too, we seem to be finding that a torque rating on the shaft of 4-5 degrees is helpful.  Keep in mind this is coming from me, my position on the swing speed scale is a LOT lower than most of you gents.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

8 hours ago, jslimerick said:

Couple thoughts:

If I were you, js?  I'd start with the R flex given what you currently use.  Seems that for the folks with higher swing speeds that a drop of two flexes is a good guide.  If you're comfy with x stiff flex a drop to r flex might be the best starting point.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

My journey has come to an end as I’m back to a more traditional set up for me. I am out of town for a few days but am willing to pass on my Pro Launch Blue “A” flex once I figure out what adapters I have available. If someone wants to pay shipping and cover an adapter I’ll ship it out. Off the top of my head I believe I have Titleist, newer TaylorMade, Callaway, and PXG adapter available. 
Let me know if interested. 

Been switching back and forth between the PLB in senior flex, and the Xcaliber TSL in TS flex, and have been driving the ball the best I have all season. I hit my best drive of the year with the Xcaliber the other day, around 350 yards. It's a 538 yard par 5, and I usually have a hybrid in for my second shot on a good drive, and I had a 7 iron this time, and airmailed the green, lol. My driving accuracy was a season best 79% also. It's like the PLB has really helped my tempo, whether using it or the Xcaliber.

11 hours ago, sl1111 said:

My journey has come to an end as I’m back to a more traditional set up for me. I am out of town for a few days but am willing to pass on my Pro Launch Blue “A” flex once I figure out what adapters I have available. If someone wants to pay shipping and cover an adapter I’ll ship it out. Off the top of my head I believe I have Titleist, newer TaylorMade, Callaway, and PXG adapter available. 

Today's my birthday, SL, and if no one else is ahead of me I'd love to give that shaft a new home with a promise it WILL be used.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

This has my attention....I wonder if it is a bit too expensive/light for a test run. The recoil shaft in it is 68g which is QUITE a drop from my KBS Tour shafts which are 120g so I don't know that this is going to work. 

image.png.722a06bd69aaec26ed2a068942de9c13.png

I am toying with the idea of buying a New Level gi22 5 iron (basically a 4 iron loft) in TT Elevate MPH shaft (95g) in a regular flex instead, would cost about the same. 

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

13 minutes ago, vandyland said:

This has my attention....I wonder if it is a bit too expensive for a test run:

image.png.722a06bd69aaec26ed2a068942de9c13.png

You thinking for like a utility iron? 

If so, I'd strongly recommend something from Maltby. 

TS-1, TS2, or even a utility hybrid. Any of them could be had for $50 + shipping and they'll be brand new from the source. The KE4 or STI2 are also great options for less than $30

I put a R flex in my TS1 4i and love it! 

Update: I'm multitasking so totally missed that this comes with a Recoil Senior flex. Not a bad buy with that shaft. Still I'd recommend checking out Maltby. Been playing their stuff for years and it's top notch. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I changed the shaft in my Mizuno mp57 5iron from stiff super light steel to a Widex graphite 4iron shaft which is the same length as the steel shaft I swapped it with, I'm going to hit balls with my Rapsodo launch monitor this arvo and see how it goes plus I've put 2 wraps where my bottom hand sits and one for the top and a bigger grip...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 12/9/2022 at 8:53 PM, Michaels48895 said:

Read a lot of these posts and thought I would give it a try… Purchased Fujikura Motore F8 50 Callaway Original OptiFit Driver Ladies 53g Shaft on E bay.. $14 and bought a Rogue adapter to fit. Had to remove Optifit adapter and install the new one also had to extend shaft about 2”. Played a few round in very cold 40’s temps. So far impressive results AND seem to be hitting ball straighter. Going to head to simulator and test more in the next week. 

Hi all. Went to local Xgolf simulator - played several holes with new shaft. Do not have stats but guessing that I hit fairway 90%+. Longest drive 245. Average drive 225. Ball flying straight or slight fade. 5 year old Callaway Rogue 10.5* driver head. Still want to go to simulator with both shafts and compare numbers. Impressive results so far. I am 69 and carry GHIN handicap of 10 playing 5800-6000 yds in MPSGA and GAM tournaments. 

10.5* Callaway Rogue driver - repaired 

Taylormade M6 fairway #3, 5, 7, 9

Very old original Cleveland Halo hybrid #5

Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal 6-PW

Cleveland CBX wedges 54, 48

Odessy ELEVEN TOUR LINED CS PUTTER

Played a course Monday that is not for the faint of heart. Ocotillo GC. It's an "Indiana Jones" type course.. meaning you must choose your shots wisely lest you meet your doom in one of many lakes. 

This is the course and is what most of it looks like. Yeah.. that crazy. 

1383878579_Screenshot_20221229-0838402.png.a5a858dec946b1087ee6be69e17a4063.png

I was playing from the white tees (2 forward from back) with my pops so quite a bit of the water was in play with driver. Additionally, a lot of the water runs diagonally across the fairways so you can either play it really short with a long way to get home or play it longer with a manageable approach.. but if you're taking the longer tee shot, you have to hit that pocket or you could be in the soup. My OP 3 wood was an absolute dream to hit! Out of the 5 tee box shots that I used it on, I hit all 5 laser straight and kept the ball right in that pocket within about 10 yds of reaching the water which was an average of about 265-270 yds from the box. Not a lot of room for error here. 

My OP driver was also killing it! Long, straight, heavenly bombs! Honestly I don't even care if I'm hitting any longer. I'm no longer stressed on the tee box and this combo just feels SO good! 

The 1 stray drive that I had was on a par 5 where I was able to fully recover with my 3 wood and land about 10 yds from the green where I holed out for an 🦅!

I just want to confirm that after playing the combo for 2 + months, this setup isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

4 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Played a course Monday that is not for the faint of heart. Ocotillo GC. It's an "Indiana Jones" type course.. meaning you must choose your shots wisely lest you meet your doom in one of many lakes. 

I was playing from the white tees (2 forward from back) with my pops so quite a bit of the water was in play with driver. Additionally, a lot of the water runs diagonally across the fairways so you can either play it really short with a long way to get home or play it longer with a manageable approach.. but if you're taking the longer tee shot, you have to hit that pocket or you could be in the soup. My OP 3 wood was an absolute dream to hit! Out of the 5 tee box shots that I used it on, I hit all 5 laser straight and kept the ball right in that pocket within about 10 yds of reaching the water which was an average of about 265-270 yds from the box. Not a lot of room for error here. 

My OP driver was also killing it! Long, straight, heavenly bombs! Honestly I don't even care if I'm hitting any longer. I'm no longer stressed on the tee box and this combo just feels SO good! 

The 1 stray drive that I had was on a par 5 where I was able to fully recover with my 3 wood and land about 10 yds from the green where I holed out for an 🦅!

I just want to confirm that after playing the combo for 2 + months, this setup isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 

Sounds like fun, glad you got to play with your dad, and the results are real life confirmation of the concept.  Happy new  year.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

On 12/28/2022 at 5:38 AM, azstu324 said:

Many of us are finding that playing between 45" and 46" @ D0 to D1 seems to be a good sweet spot for control while ......

Ahhh I thought we were playing a ladies shaft as is, i.e." length weight grips with smooth swing speed. I guess I'll have to go back and do some revision...

The mp57 5iron I switched shaft and change grip of didn't impress with the first 10 balls, oh well see what happens today...

Edited by Bang60
Missed info

10 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Ahhh I thought we were playing a ladies shaft as is, i.e." length weight grips with smooth swing speed. I guess I'll have to go back and do some revision...

The mp57 5iron I switched shaft and change grip of didn't impress with the first 10 balls, oh well see what happens today...

The goal is to play your typical men's specifications with respect to grip, swing weight, club length, etc. and simply install a shaft that's two flexes "'softer" than what you're currently playing.

That's why I  posted the potential "revisions/modifications" to the women's iron set you described a few days back; I was suggesting how, if it were me, I'd modify them to give you a club that, with the exception of shaft flex, would be very similar to the set you're currently playing.  The added benefit being you could do a pretty direct comparison of y our standard set with the O-Phlex set.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

This topic brought me to this forum. I am around 113-115 club head speed and play Ventus Black 6x now. I wanted to give this a try after seeing mobileclubbuilder video. Is the evenflow riptide cb not thought of as a comparable option anymore? Looks like GPLB is the go to now? Should I still go with A flex or R flex to get closer to X in the auto flex?

On 12/27/2022 at 9:40 PM, sl1111 said:

I’d be interested. 

On 12/27/2022 at 6:40 PM, sl1111 said:

Send me a DM, I'm interested. 

2 hours ago, Ilikegolf26 said:

This topic brought me to this forum. I am around 113-115 club head speed and play Ventus Black 6x now. I wanted to give this a try after seeing mobileclubbuilder video. Is the evenflow riptide cb not thought of as a comparable option anymore? Looks like GPLB is the go to now? Should I still go with A flex or R flex to get closer to X in the auto flex?

First off, welcome to the forum and the thread! 

So even if you go back to AJ's video, you'll see that him and MSG agreed that the Riptide wasn't quite what they were hoping for as far as flex profile and feeling. This is exactly what I found as well. That said, it's still a really great option for an OttoPhlex variation and I would probably even still play it over my Motore X F1 6X it was that good. Not sure if the Counterbalance properties just added extra handle stiffness but it was much less whippy than I was looking for. 

In all honesty, the PLB 45g was really a "happy accident" as Bob Ross would put it. Out of about 5 or 6 prospects, It just happened to be what was available at my local Golf Galaxy, with maybe 2 other potential shaft models, and it was the one with the color scheme that I liked the most (very technical I know). I'm sure there are still other great candidates but the PLB just seemed to hit the nail on the head when trying to match what I thought an Autoflex should be. Besides performance, it's also very available and budget friendly so it just became the go-to for a lot of us. 

As for flex for your speed, you seem to be right between A and R. You swing just a bit faster than me, but our original shafts are very similar and I'm using the A flex. You might just have to use your gut on this one. I'm sure you can't go wrong either way. 

Good luck and please share when you have some results! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 12/29/2022 at 2:13 PM, azstu324 said:

Great looking course!

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

36 minutes ago, Ilikegolf26 said:

Does anyone have the shaft profile for the Autoflex 505X?

I have seen the following posted:

Weight - 54.3g

Raw Length - 45"

Balance Point - 21" down from the butt so this is a butt heavy shaft

41" beam length frequency with 205g tip weight - 207cpm

Bend Profile measurements - 146/163/182/212/265/368/647

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have seen the following posted:

Weight - 54.3g

Raw Length - 45"

Balance Point - 21" down from the butt so this is a butt heavy shaft

41" beam length frequency with 205g tip weight - 207cpm

Bend Profile measurements - 146/163/182/212/265/368/647

That 207 cpm is pretty much what the Pro Launch Blue in ladies flex comes in at.  Sort of confirms what we've been experiencing.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

I just joined the forum just for this topic. The first post is incredibly well done and loved all of the experiments since. As someone who has been looking into the Autoflex (but just can’t justify the price) and more recently the BGT Brava, this experiment really appeals to me. I am fully in and want to try it myself.

I have found a site (link below) that carries the GPLB shaft with a PXG Gen 4 adapter (my current gamer). I’m hoping someone with club building knowledge could kindly help me buy the correct shaft length and grip that would lead to the desired D0-D1 swing weight. I am 6’4” so my current driver length is 46 inches and I would like to stay there if possible. My current driver is a standard 10.5 Gen 4 that I have lofted up to 12 degrees. 

Any help here will earn my eternal gratitude. Thank you! 

Link to GPLB website referenced: https://www.monarkgolf.com/golf-clubs/custom-shafts/grafalloy-2019-prolaunch-blue-45-graphite-wood-shaft-adapter-grip.html

2 hours ago, KnoxvilleReb said:

I just joined the forum just for this topic. The first post is incredibly well done and loved all of the experiments since. As someone who has been looking into the Autoflex (but just can’t justify the price) and more recently the BGT Brava, this experiment really appeals to me. I am fully in and want to try it myself.

I have found a site (link below) that carries the GPLB shaft with a PXG Gen 4 adapter (my current gamer). I’m hoping someone with club building knowledge could kindly help me buy the correct shaft length and grip that would lead to the desired D0-D1 swing weight. I am 6’4” so my current driver length is 46 inches and I would like to stay there if possible. My current driver is a standard 10.5 Gen 4 that I have lofted up to 12 degrees. 

Any help here will earn my eternal gratitude. Thank you! 

Link to GPLB website referenced: https://www.monarkgolf.com/golf-clubs/custom-shafts/grafalloy-2019-prolaunch-blue-45-graphite-wood-shaft-adapter-grip.html

I'll take a whack at it for you, Reb.  Let's start with a couple of questions if you don't mind?  What grip do you intend to use.  And do you use any "build up" tape under your right hand (I'm assuming you're a right handed golfer).

I looked at the link you posted,, its for the 45 gram shaft, which is good.  I'll assume unless you correct it that that's the one you intend to get.

Edited by Bobbers

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

12 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

I'll take a whack at it for you, Reb.  Let's start with a couple of questions if you don't mind?  What grip do you intend to use.  And do you use any "build up" tape under your right hand (I'm assuming you're a right handed golfer).

I looked at the link you posted,, its for the 45 gram shaft, which is good.  I'll assume unless you correct it that that's the one you intend to get.

Thank you, Bobbers! I really appreciate the help. I’m open to really any grip that would get the weighting of the club right. Right now I play a “PXG Z5 - standard” grip with +2 wrap. I only know this because that’s what my order spec sheet says and I am in no way married to that setup. Which is just to say if it needs to change then it’s no problem.

I do plan on buying the 45g A flex as of now. My current swing speed is ~95mph but I just purchased TheStack and hoping to get into the low to mid 100’s by this season, which makes me think the A flex would be better than the L.

I’ve attached a photo (hopefully it shows up) of the spec sheet for my current driver. The only change made is I’ve adjusted it from the 10.5 degree standard loft up to 12 degrees currently. 241ADACF-8067-48A3-B509-11585FA13BD6.jpeg.75de9b749a3f6835589bc3818be5cf72.jpeg

On 12/29/2022 at 2:13 PM, azstu324 said:

Hey Stu, thanks for the update. Can you remind me what shaft and setup you went with in the 3W?  

GHIN 7.8

D Callaway Epic Flash subzero 10.5 down to 9.5

3W Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 14.5

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

P Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport 2.0 Select

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/