Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

On 4/26/2024 at 11:04 AM, Nick_D said:

So I was going to pull the trigger on the Maltby UL and was trying to decide which flex to go with. I'm in an Aldila Ascent Red 60 gram stiff shaft right now, was thinking about going A flex in the Maltby. My swing speed is typically 100-105. What do you all think? 

The A flex is out of stock, but L, R, and S are in stock at the moment.

I went with Mr short game and the mobile club maker’s recommendation of 2 flexes down from your gamer. I am in the R, but my swing speed is around 115. However, my UST MP5 OP is an A. Both play on the stronger end. I think an L would be ok.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

Maltby UL L-flex came in earlier this week, I epoxied on the adapter and slid a grip on. After throwing the head on, swing weight came out to exactly D0 without touching anything, 45" playing length. Finally got a chance to hit a few balls in my garage and let me tell you the first swing.... *Chef's kiss*

I'll get full numbers vs my current gamer next week, but first impressions is all my ball flights are straighter and tighter dispersion and spin looks like it came down a bit.

More tweaking and testing to come, but Otto Phlex immediately went into the bag for the two day golf trip this weekend!

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

4 minutes ago, Nick_D said:

Maltby UL L-flex came in earlier this week, I epoxied on the adapter and slid a grip on. After throwing the head on, swing weight came out to exactly D0 without touching anything, 45" playing length. Finally got a chance to hit a few balls in my garage and let me tell you the first swing.... *Chef's kiss*

I'll get full numbers vs my current gamer next week, but first impressions is all my ball flights are straighter and tighter dispersion and spin looks like it came down a bit.

More tweaking and testing to come, but Otto Phlex immediately went into the bag for the two day golf trip this weekend!

It's that secret Ohioan technology! 🤣😂

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Posted (edited)

Ok, So I got the Accra140 M0 shaft and the 150 M1 shaft in the other day and installed two Ping adapters. I have been using a Graphite Design AD DI 6x on my G430 LST 9*. First day testing with the M0 was less than optimal. My transition tended to be too quick, and I kept getting a high right shank come into play. It seemed just incredibly way to flexy for my swing. HOWEVER, when I tried the 150 M1, thats where the magic happened. Straight bombs down the middle, and made 9/12 fairways where I used my driver. Its just an incredibly easy shaft to swing, and as long as i didnt try to aggressively hit it, it went straight and FLEW. Most of my drivers were getting 300 yards easily. On the first hole, I was playing with two other singles, and they gave me a kind "F you" after my first shot 335 down the middle.

The M0 may work for some, but the additionally stiffness of the M1 150 definitely made a difference and tended to work significantly better for my swing. I can see the M0 being helpful for those with slower swing speeds / effortless swings. I also increased the adjustable Loft up to 10.5 (+1.5 setting), and that tended to work best for me as the lower loft tended to produce knuckleballs (my swing issues, not the shaft).

All in all, definitely keeping the M1 on my driver for now. This thing is awesome. I've yet to get these on a trackman to compare, but I'll be doing that soon.

Edited by justl2003

Quick update on the Maltby and how it fared on the weekend golf trip. It lasted about 8 holes or so until I setup for a tee shot and realized the head was not square anymore… I must not have prepped the tip or epoxied very well, so I was glad I brought a backup shaft for the trip. BUT I had only missed one fairway and it was just a few steps into the rough. To say I missed Otto Phlex for the rest of the trip was an understatement. I’ve been home for all of 30 minutes and I’ve already pulled the adapter and re epoxied! I’m planning to play another round tomorrow and can’t wait to have it back in the bag

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

I noticed a new, ultra light KBS driver shaft on the Golfworks website.  40 to 45 grams.

https://www.golfworks.com/kbs-max-hl-335-graphite-wood-shafts/p/fs0086/

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

1 hour ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I noticed a new, ultra light KBS driver shaft on the Golfworks website.  40 to 45 grams.

https://www.golfworks.com/kbs-max-hl-335-graphite-wood-shafts/p/fs0086/

Would be interesting to compare their swing speed fitting vs the Otto phlex theory.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

Just a few updates on my OP tinkering.

I put an Accra FX 3.0 M1 hybrid shaft in my Paradym X 4 hybrid (turned down to 3H loft), and I have to say, it has not disappointed.  Coming from a stiff Fuji Motore X shaft it is an adjustment, but with a smooth transition I am getting the same dispersion with about 10 yards more carry.  It's staying in the club for certain.  I'm on the hunt for another for my 5 hybrid.

I also put an Accra FX 3.0 M2 shaft in the TM Brnr Mini 13.5*.  The stock stiff shaft in this club is a true rockstar, and tough to beat.  If I have a smooth transition and tempo, the OP Accra shaft is a touch longer and straighter, but the stock shaft handles poorer swings better.  Testing continues. 

Finally, I put the 46" Maltby MPF Pro UL L-flex with the Paradym TD for a few swings in the sim after re-dialing my driver swing.  I think the 46" is still too long for consistency's sake for me, but wow - the ball went looooong.  I may cut an inch off the butt end and see if ball striking can be regular and if I see any distance improvement versus the Accra FX 3.0 MO.  The Accra will be incredibly tough to beat for me, but the Maltby MPF and MP5 both are neck and neck with it.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042