Lamkin Sonar +Black - 2023 Forum Review

Played 18 holes today and definitely broke a sweat walking all 18! The grips held up with no problems even with being the first group out on the course in dewy conditions. No problems with having wedges on the ground after short game shots and the grips getting a bit wet. Didn't feel any problems as my hands started to sweat a bit either. The weather was fairly calm so not too much sweat compared to hot days but overall the grips performed well. 

Driver: :titelist-small: - TSR2 Tensei 1K Pro Orange

Wood: :titelist-small: - TSR2+ Tensei 1k Pro Orange

Irons: :mizuno-small: - MP 241 PW-6

:mizuno-small: - MP 245 4&5 

:titelist-small: - T200 3 Driving Iron

Wedges: :vokey-small: - 54/58 12D

Putter: :L.A.B.:  - Mezz.1 Max

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: - Tour BX

Data: :Arccos:

Great write ups fellas.  As a Sonar tech lover for the last 3 seasons I am seriously impressed with how durable these grips are made.  I’ve had the same wrap with calibrate grips for the last season and a half without any significant wear issues.  Feel is not too plush but still responsive and they let me play without wearing a glove.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

@bens197 How often do you clean your grips? 

17 minutes ago, TheProfessor02 said:

@bens197 How often do you clean your grips? 

Warm water in a 5 gallon bucket with some dish soap.  Let them soak for 5 minutes then wipe them with a wet towel.  

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Heading out now, finally got a break from the humidity. I played yesterday too, it was also a lot less humid. I had a lot better luck with them. I was with my kids yesterday so my attention was a little divided. Today I’ll be able to put more focus on them. 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I've been playing the last few days with the drop in humidity. It's been a lot better on my hands and the grips. I still get a slippery/slickness to them when my non-glove hand comes in contact with them. It's not as bad for sure, I just don't get that with my gamer grips. The fingerprint/textured part is where I experience this. On one hand, I like that it can aid in having a looser grip, I just do not want to feel like my hands are coming off uncontrollably. In other words, still monitoring. I have another 9 holes to walk today. 

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

15 minutes ago, srooch2 said:

I've been playing the last few days with the drop in humidity. It's been a lot better on my hands and the grips. I still get a slippery/slickness to them when my non-glove hand comes in contact with them. It's not as bad for sure, I just don't get that with my gamer grips. The fingerprint/textured part is where I experience this. On one hand, I like that it can aid in having a looser grip, I just do not want to feel like my hands are coming off uncontrollably. In other words, still monitoring. I have another 9 holes to walk today. 

I find I only really notice/appreciate the fingerprint tech on the delicate and short game shots. I don't notice much about it on full swings how about you? 

I agree, or at least it's more noticeable on short shots. I try not to notice it in general, I really don't want to think about a grip, just hope it's doing it's thing. 

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Yeah that's a fair point, definitely paying a little extra attention for the test. 

Ok, so I played yesterday but it ended up getting very hot and I couldn't gather any new intel. However... I stepped out last night about sunset to my "driving range" at my house and hit about 50 wedge shots from approximately 40-60 yards. I was finally able to utilize these grips properly and see they're potential. It was very mild out, my hands were about as dry as they'll ever get. I absolutely loved them. I was hitting these smoothe tempo wedge shots and the grips allowed me to hold on very loosely to the club while never feeling like I was going to lose it. The transition at the top was exactly the way I like to feel it as well. I could really hinge my wrist and let the club follow me through the downswing. It was the perfect amount of tacky and soft. The fingerprint tech for me almost acts like a corded grip but doesn't feel abrasive or uncomfortable. They have a softness to them that allows them to be very comfortable while swinging. I'm hoping to lock on to that feeling and start seeing that on the course.  

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

What do you think about the less taper down the grip? 

That's always been my preference. I like it but could see how that isn't for everyone. My previous grips are that way. 

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Yeah you had the +4s right? I'm usually not a big no taper player but these don't feel super big down at the bottom so overall I really don't mind it and I actually like it on some of the longer pitches 50-75 yards. 

Yep, I played basically the lamkin equivalent to +4. I played the mcc +4 before that too. The only time I don't really like it is around the green on delicate, handsy shots. But I have gotten used to it and haven't seen any change in my short game. 

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Yeah agreed, definitely not my ideal setup on the small "flick" short game shots or the long slow swing delicate ones either but not horrible either just different. 

Well, just because I couldn't let the official testers be the only ones having fun I regripped my SMS Pros with the Sonar+ Blacks as well.

image.png image.png

image.png

Initial thoughts are:

• They feel just as good as the OG Sonar+ which is great because I've felt grips before where changing the color can change the formula just a bit and makes a bigger difference than you'd expect.
  • They look dynamite.  I was originally a little torn to replacing the MCC+4 Aligns because they looked so good with the Edel's, but these look just as good and have a rather premium look for a black grip.  It seems to me this is a deeper and glossier black than the OG Sonar+
  • First round set for Friday.  They'll get a good workout in then, but I expect them to perform awesome.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Those grips looks absolutely designed for those! The color coordination is off the charts, well done. 

6 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

Well, just because I couldn't let the official testers be the only ones having fun I regripped my SMS Pros with the Sonar+ Blacks as well.

Initial thoughts are:

• They feel just as good as the OG Sonar+ which is great because I've felt grips before where changing the color can change the formula just a bit and makes a bigger difference than you'd expect.
  • They look dynamite.  I was originally a little torn to replacing the MCC+4 Aligns because they looked so good with the Edel's, but these look just as good and have a rather premium look for a black grip.  It seems to me this is a deeper and glossier black than the OG Sonar+
  • First round set for Friday.  They'll get a good workout in then, but I expect them to perform awesome.

Very interested in seeing your thoughts on the Sonar+ Blacks compared to the MCC+4 grips you previously used.

I have the MCC's and am potentially looking for a grip change due to some issues I have with the MCC's occasionally.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to "Unboxing & Set-Up" post

13 hours ago, rkj427 said:

Very interested in seeing your thoughts on the Sonar+ Blacks compared to the MCC+4 grips you previously used.

I have the MCC's and am potentially looking for a grip change due to some issues I have with the MCC's occasionally.

So I've been using the OG Sonar+ for a few years, and have had the MCC+4s on a few clubs at that time too.

For me:

• Sonar+ is tackier.  The fingerprint technology works great for me and it almost feel like the grip is gripping me back.
  • Sonar+ is softer.  Not in a bad way, but in a different way.  I think the MCC+4 is fairly firm in the top half and while the half cord and firmness can help with grip, I get a better hold with the Sonar+.  I'll also note that the Sonar seems to have a progressive firmness.  It's soft with a gentle hold and seems to get firmer when you need it.  It has good resistance to twisting despite the soft feel.
  • Both have the low taper profile which I like.  That's totally a personal preference thing, sounds like you like it too if you like the +4s.  
  • Sonar+ has been more durable for me.  While I wouldn't recommend it, the Sonar+ on my Cobra Wedges are original from CC4.  They still feel decent despite being overdue for a change (I'd swap them out but was using the built in Arccos sensors.  New wedges are arriving tomorrow... but that's a different story.

I guess at the end of the day the best thing I can say for the Sonar+ is that I willingly cut off MCC+4 grips with like... 12-15 full rounds worth of swings on them to switch.

If you're remotely interested, I'd suggest grabbing 2 and put one on a driver/fairway and a mid-iron and give them a try.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

So I've been using the OG Sonar+ for a few years, and have had the MCC+4s on a few clubs at that time too.

For me:

• Sonar+ is tackier.  The fingerprint technology works great for me and it almost feel like the grip is gripping me back.
  • Sonar+ is softer.  Not in a bad way, but in a different way.  I think the MCC+4 is fairly firm in the top half and while the half cord and firmness can help with grip, I get a better hold with the Sonar+.  I'll also note that the Sonar seems to have a progressive firmness.  It's soft with a gentle hold and seems to get firmer when you need it.  It has good resistance to twisting despite the soft feel.
  • Both have the low taper profile which I like.  That's totally a personal preference thing, sounds like you like it too if you like the +4s.  
  • Sonar+ has been more durable for me.  While I wouldn't recommend it, the Sonar+ on my Cobra Wedges are original from CC4.  They still feel decent despite being overdue for a change (I'd swap them out but was using the built in Arccos sensors.  New wedges are arriving tomorrow... but that's a different story.

I guess at the end of the day the best thing I can say for the Sonar+ is that I willingly cut off MCC+4 grips with like... 12-15 full rounds worth of swings on them to switch.

If you're remotely interested, I'd suggest grabbing 2 and put one on a driver/fairway and a mid-iron and give them a try.

Perfect information for what I was looking for! Thank you @GolfSpy BOS 👍

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to "Unboxing & Set-Up" post

46 minutes ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

For me:

My experience very closely mirrors this as well as a former MCC +4 player. The only caveat I would add is that if you play in wet conditions or have exceptionally sweaty hands I have found the +4s performed better in that regard. 

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to Lamkin Sonar +Black - 2023 Forum Review

Felt like this needed to be shared...

You don't grip the Lamkin Sonar+Black, it grips you.

On 8/17/2023 at 10:09 PM, GolfSpy BOS said:

Felt like this needed to be shared...

You don't grip the Lamkin Sonar+Black, it grips you.

Thinking I may have to put these in play. I loved them on my hogans and still love the tech as a wrap on my current setup. 

Ming they look good. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

33 minutes ago, tricket3d said:

These new grips sound like the golf pride cp2 grips. I have a set on my old clubs and love them. I switched to +4s and regret not spending the extra on them. They were so durable and soft. 

I would compare them to the CP2 for sure.  They both even have a "wrap" version too.  I haven't played the CP2, but I have given them the waggle test on a used set I saw.  Seemed to be very similar.  I favored the texture of the fingerprint tech on the Lamkin over the Golfpride, but it was also a used grip so I don't know how worn the CP2 was.

I can't speak on the CP2s but the ASMR video from @GolfSpy BOS is pretty spot on with the tack. It sticks on your hands but isn't overly sticky where it feels like you're grabbing a steering wheel with peanut butter on it. 

Played 9 holes yesterday in some pretty humid conditions. Grips held up fantastically even when placed on dewy/wet grass around the green. Going to start drafting up my final review and get that posted here soon! 

My final review is up and I'd like to just say how much I enjoyed the testing process and look forward to participating in more in the future. Thanks to the MGS team and to Lamkin for this. Hopefully I've given some insight that helps others in their future consideration for these. 

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter