Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Galway Bay Rain Gear - 2023 Forum Review

GolfSpy_APH
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

IMG_4870.jpeg.9c78f6b42daf3df63c60a242730f1667.jpegIt was a four layer kind of morning.  The GB rain jacket was on and off, on and off.  For me, this jacket is so light it doesn’t do much for warmth. Great for summer but not warm enough at 48*.

An upside to being so light weight is that it easily packs and fits in the side pocket of my bag.  Not the big one but the small one.
IMG_4868.jpeg.5b2f1b7d04e845370f09088a8dded0a6.jpeg  IMG_4869.jpeg.e643885e4f4ac9ef5b85bf47defed417.jpeg

I wish GalwayBay made a waterproof beanie - something to keep my head and ears both warm and dry.  Any chance?

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

3 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

IMG_4870.jpeg.9c78f6b42daf3df63c60a242730f1667.jpegIt was a four layer kind of morning.  The GB rain jacket was on and off, on and off.  For me, this jacket is so light it doesn’t do much for warmth. Great for summer but not warm enough at 48*.

An upside to being so light weight is that it easily packs and fits in the side pocket of my bag.  Not the big one but the small one.
IMG_4868.jpeg.5b2f1b7d04e845370f09088a8dded0a6.jpeg  IMG_4869.jpeg.e643885e4f4ac9ef5b85bf47defed417.jpeg

I wish GalwayBay made a waterproof beanie - something to keep my head and ears both warm and dry.  Any chance?

I agree.  I wore mine today and although it isn't cold here it was in the low 60's and windy.  I wanted to see how warm it was and it did a good job of cutting the wind but not warmth.  Luckily for me we don't get very cold and it's more about breathability for me.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

One thing the testers need to consider is that even the most expensive rain gear available for purchase always recommends "layering" below if it is both cold and rainy.

Typically, if it is below 50 degrees F, and rainy or potential rain when I start, I always have layers on below, with the rain jacket the outermost to prevent getting wet.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

28 minutes ago, rkj427 said:

One thing the testers need to consider is that even the most expensive rain gear available for purchase always recommends "layering" below if it is both cold and rainy.

Typically, if it is below 50 degrees F, and rainy or potential rain when I start, I always have layers on below, with the rain jacket the outermost to prevent getting wet.

100%  I don't get much cold so for me it's more about does it keep some of the wind out.  

On 10/14/2023 at 7:19 AM, Alan Scalzi said:

Going out today to play around. 55° and cloudy 3% chance of rain! Went out on Thursday windy but in the upper 70° wore the jacket for 5 holes, was very comfortable.  Today will be pants and jacket day!😊

The 3% turned into rain! Stayed dried during the round with 100 % comfortable inside and out! Gloves need to be a little wet for me to have a good feel on the grips!

Alan Scalzi 

On 10/6/2023 at 4:05 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

@WaffleHouseTour this is great stuff.  That “chest poof” is exactly one of the things I’d be concerned with in buying rain gear; I’ll be really interested in your upcoming chipping and putting feedback.

I guess my only comment on any impacts to clubhead speed is that driver would probably show the greatest disparity…it’s the one club you’re trying to hit as far as possible rather than a specific distance, so you’re very likely to have a longer range of motion, greater intent, etc.  What you’ve done here is great, don’t get me wrong, but I’ll be interested if you perceive any lost distance from the tee box when you get on course.

I didn't have any distance lost off the box with the driver yesterday with the rain ( drizzle all day) when wearing the rain gear, I actually hit it better avg 220, hit 230 avg yesterday ( using golf pad app)!

Alan Scalzi 

Played 18 again today, still no rain, although colder 2C/35F. Jacket worn over base layer and polo with just pants (no layering). Comfortable warmth, with the setup keeping the cold breeze at (Galway) bay. No restrictions noted on any shots and could easily swing through my driver. Happy so far 👍

:tour-edge: C721 9.5 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 15 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 18 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge:EXS220 22 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:mizuno-small: M-Craft VI with BGT Stability shaft and Super Stroke Zenergy XL Flatso 2.0 (25g CounterCore weight)
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball 

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Still waiting for rain, but got a couple of short vids. Fit is excellent and no poofiness for me.

Showing my good side here....

I've played five rounds and a couple of range sessions, and can't find fault with the fit or comfort.

Laundered 5 times and waterproofing still holding up. Sunday should give it a workout since we're expecting rain.

I'm hitting the range today, and will give an update on whether the gear reduces swing speed. From my experience on the course I expect to see a bit of a difference, especially in my irons, although the cooler weather may be having an impact on distance.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

Well, sunny skies again today, but wanted to post a few. The jacket and pants allow a huge degree of freedom of movement.  This driver was a full swing with arms away from the body.  The iron shot has hands closer to my body but again, great freedom of movement. My shoulders, legs and hips all move without any hindrance at all, though at my current swung speed that's shouldn't ever be a problem.  Putting is comfortable and no poofiness.  My gut takes up a lot of room though, so there's that...

-XY

Fit update and video:  Personally I am liking the jacket and that says alot for me because most of the jackets I own restrict the swing to a certain degree.  This jacket fits great but also allows you to have your normal swing and not lose speed. 

I do have a slight puff in the chest area but it didn't affect swinging or putting.  

The jacket is super lightweight and not meant to keep you warm, but it does break the wind which is nice in Texas where we get plenty of wind with the rain.  

Pretty good looking swing too. Even if you are doing it backwards 😎

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

11 minutes ago, Preeway said:

Pretty good looking swing too. Even if you are doing it backwards 😎

Ha.... I have to pick my times/spots at the driving range carefully because they don't ever set it up for us lefties.

Nothing more unnerving than facing a lefty, and he facing me, while hitting in the range. Just wondering who is gonna shank it first and hit their neighbor. 😂 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Haha. Yeah, if there are people at the range I always try to get all the way to the left or furthest right. 

Okay, so being very much in the rain gear market I have to say, the poofiness thing is a big deal…if a garment is going to interfere with a swing or a putting stroke then it’s game over, right?

So, some of you seem to be experience some poofiness and others not so much.  What do you think is behind that?  Your own build?  Are you confident you are in the right size?

I’ve spent a lot of time in a weight room so I tend to need L/XL around the chest/shoulders but that’s too much room at the waist; seems like a formula for poofiness as well.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

7 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Okay, so being very much in the rain gear market I have to say, the poofiness thing is a big deal…if a garment is going to interfere with a swing or a putting stroke then it’s game over, right?

So, some of you seem to be experience some poofiness and others not so much.  What do you think is behind that?  Your own build?  Are you confident you are in the right size?

I’ve spent a lot of time in a weight room so I tend to need L/XL around the chest/shoulders but that’s too much room at the waist; seems like a formula for poofiness as well.

I would say I'm a little more broad shoulders and if you look at my video above you can see right at the elbows the little poof.  It is minimal on mine and doesn't/didn't affect my swing or putting.  I don't think I could have gone to a medium as it would have been too tight.  I did the online sizing and it was dead on for me.  

I am not a huge jacket guy just because being in TX it's so hot all the time that I actually prefer a short sleeve rain jacket but I have been impressed with the fit and breathability on this jacket.  I haven't gotten to test it in actual rain yet but am patiently waiting for that opportunity.

In my case it's probably my large belly taking up space. Like any piece of clothing, trying it on is the key, right?

So I bought a vest from Galway Bay after this test started because I'm impressed by the clothing. I ordered a size too small. They sent me a label for return on their dime. I'm waiting for the replacement. Free returns are great if buying online...in fact I won't buy clothing online without it.

-XY

So after wearing my Galway bay rain gear over the weekend and yes it did rain ( not pouring but drizzle for the last 5 holes), it was time to wash it! So I followed the recommendations on the gear, but didn't have the heart to put it in the dryer, so I put in on the line in the laundry room to dry! I just feel better as I didn't want to ruin it! All good and fresh and clean if needing it for this weekend!

Alan Scalzi 

I did the same with jacket and pants after the first washing. Second time around decided to dry it with a load of other laundry on low heat setting. Still waiting for rain, though.

The lightweight fabric make both jacket and pants stowage, but I've been wearing them as my go-to gear because they're so comfortable.  I'd have a hard time leaving this gear in my bag as a just-in-case rain solution.  If I need a jacket, tbis is the one that comes off the hangar. And the pants are my go-to unless it's warm enough for shorts. Hence, they get washed a couple.times a week (see above).

-XY

For washing all my waterproofs I use Grangers -  here in the states Grangers can be found on Amazon

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

So do you use the Grangers with every wash?

-XY

On 10/19/2023 at 3:49 PM, GolferXY said:

So do you use the Grangers with every wash?

Yes, but until now I haven't needed to wash every time I've worn them.  All my pants were pull overs.  So they'd get washed just a few times a season.  I guess time will tell. 

Ok so we still haven't had any rain for me to really test out the gear.  Other than a water hose of course. 

Today during my round I decided to play with one of the GB rain gloves as it was 95 outside.  We had someone on another post mention using the rain gloves in hot weather and the durability being better with those gloves. It got me thinking I should try it out. I played the front 9 with just that glove and I was pleasantly surprised.  I didn't think I would have much grip but it did its job and stayed comfortable for the entire 9.  I didn't have quite the same grip but it was close enough.  

So far the gear has been exactly as I had hoped. 

I may finally get to test out my GB gear this week in "ACTUAL" rain....  It is currently raining today (and the course is closed on Mondays) but the forecast calls for rain for the next few days.  

It's funny reading some of the testers comments.   I can't remember too many golfers praying for bad weather.   

I guess if we want the best reviews, we all should be crossing our fingers for poor weather for each of you!   Just make sure you let us know when your testing is done so we can stop our collective efforts and you can get back to nicer weather.

You're welcome!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

2 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

It's funny reading some of the testers comments.   I can't remember too many golfers praying for bad weather.   

I guess if we want the best reviews, we all should be crossing our fingers for poor weather for each of you!   Just make sure you let us know when your testing is done so we can stop our collective efforts and you can get back to nicer weather.

You're welcome!

Haha. I know!  I hate wishing for poor golf weather but I am also tired of giving my kids and wife the excuse of spraying me with a water hose in order to test this gear out.  Of course they are happy to help out and have no problem asking if I have done my testing for the week...  

Have a round planned for tomorrow and the chance of rain is sitting at 50%.  I plan on wearing the pants to start if it's not raining and full on Dr. Evil costume if it is. (I would have chose black pants)

Here is what I want to test. Pants being Grey in wet weather means mud and muck, how dirty will I look and will I stay dry.  

Jacket - do I stay dry the entire round. 

Gloves - will the grip remain even when soaked.

Update after todays round.

I wore the pants out for the round because they are meant to be the primary and not throw over.  (They will fit over shorts)  It started off dry and I had about a 20% chance of some rain.  After the first 9 holes, I start to feel what I think could be rain drops and sure enough a light misty rain starts.  Finally a chance to put this gear into action.  Never have I wanted it to rain during a round more...

I apologize for the lack of actual photos of me in the gear but the wife refused to go out to the course with me to be my photographer.

The pants are quiet and as I have mentioned before, nice enough to wear out.  I got the grey pants and would probably select the black if I had a choice and only because when its raining and the course is muddy, the grey shows every spec of dirt.  I did manage to stay relatively clean though and was surprised.  They breathe better than I thought after 18 holes.  I stayed dry which was great.

Jacket - This also performed well.  I stayed completely dry and I didn't feel like it restricted my swing at all.  I know a couple of the guys have mentioned the puff and while mine does have a slight puff about mid chest, it didn't interfere with my swing or putting.

Gloves - The gloves worked great and held grip very well in the moist misty rain.  I started off wearing both gloves but felt like they kept me from really fealing the club face and were a little bulky for my liking.  I switched to just one and played the rest of the round and it performed as I would expect a glove to perform.

Overall, I am absolutely impressed with the quality and fit of the Galway Bay rain gear so far.  It has not hindered my swing and has kept me dryer than I originally thought it would when I was first selected to test.

20231024_085743.jpg.1c2ff7c0fec3ade6a6e0edf48bd37a58.jpg

20231024_092856.jpg.d9d7f33b148f3cc9b1fcc512726efe6c.jpg

Nice review, wafflehousetour.  I tried to post a reaction but it only shows me who has already reacted.  Your review was so complete it needs to be noted!  Well done, great pics and the areas of review were right on.

I haven't had a chance yet to really give my gear a workout in the rain.  The last couple of outings were of the close-but-no-cigar variety, overcast and muggy and a bit cooler in the 60's - threatening but not producing rain.  However, I wear the gear twice or three times a week and have found that it is consistently comfortable.  The only real questions I have at this point are whether the waterproofing lasts, and if the straight-leg pants will allow water to dribble into my shoe.  One other issue I have is with the gloves, which deserve a separate review.  spoiler alert...I'm not impressed by them.

The hose testing I've done points to staying dry, but the real test will be when I have to slog/golf for realz.

-XY

Had the jacket on course again today - no rain - but trying to see if I can reduce the "puffiness" of the jacket by tightening the draw strings or something.

IMG_4944.JPG.37de8978a589126d5d5fd3b0288239a7.JPG IMG_4945.JPG.bc41e89a7b1d0d3736a32bebd2a733fc.JPG  IMG_4946.JPG.997f48862754678570fe4c2caa9c5f09.JPG IMG_4947.JPG.0baa859bcbbc6a3b2ec3f2dea5893ad8.JPG 

Not much luck. Couple shots with the putter while on the green to try and better show what I'm dealing with.  In my stance, bend at the waist.  Big difference between the rain jacket and just wearing a hoodie.  Tried to get two shots of each the same. 

Again, I ordered a medium because everything I have is a medium.  But I'm wishing I would have gotten a small to see if that would have eliminated that.  Trying to decide how much weight that carries on the final review.