PGA Superstore kills off Golf Galaxy Store!

Middler

There was an above average Golf Galaxy in Charlotte that I bought from occasionally over the years. Then a PGA Superstore went into the same shopping center, great store and they got most of my business - at least what I couldn't get from a different nearby GG or online. I assumed the former Golf Galaxy would survive, but in a little over a year it's closed/empty/kaput. Surprised me at least...

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

I'm pretty surprised that there wasn't some sort of non-compete in their lease...

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

3 minutes ago, revkev said:

I'm pretty surprised that there wasn't some sort of non-compete in their lease...

... Pretty common in the area's I have lived in. PGA SS, Golf Galaxy and several years back Golfsmith were within one block of each other. I do like GG because I can use them with my Dicks CC Rewards certificates but their insistence on tying down all their woods so you can't see them at address is beyond annoying. Only golf store I have visited that does this. Sorry to see your GG close because competition is always a good thing. Used equipment prices especially are so much higher when there isn't any competition. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
                  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 20* 7 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

19 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Pretty common in the area's I have lived in. PGA SS, Golf Galaxy and several years back Golfsmith were within one block of each other. I do like GG because I can use them with my Dicks CC Rewards certificates but their insistence on tying down all their woods so you can't see them at address is beyond annoying. Only golf store I have visited that does this. Sorry to see your GG close because competition is always a good thing. Used equipment prices especially are so much higher when there isn't any competition. 

Oh I've seen them a block apart for sure - 

I'm simply surprised that they are in the same shopping center.  And yes, bottom line I'm sorry that this has happened to you.  Competition is always good, IMO.

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Even stranger - in a Cleveland, Ohio shopping center there's a DSG with a large golf selection across the way from a GG. I'll bet the DSG doesn't get much golf traction other then impulse buying. Here if Fl, the GG is less than an 1/8 of a mile away from the PGASS which BTW is 3 times as nice as the GG. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

We had a PGASS go in about a mile from Golf Galaxy.  The PGA store has done well based in large part on how the staff has been trained and/or selected to begin with.  PGA has a  larger selection.  The staff at GG, which is chronically understocked, is quick to tell you why you didn't really want what you say you wanted.  They delight in adopting an "I'm MUCH more informed than you are, perhaps I'll share some of my wisdom with you..." approach; making conversation next to impossible.  Couple that with the outrageous prices GG slaps on used clubs and I guess I'll be surprised if GG isn't gone by this time next year.  Sad situation.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

I heard our PGA Tour Superstore (Raleigh) was smaller than the one in Charlotte but it’s about 3x the size of the largest Golf Galaxy near me in Cary, NC. I doubt GG will shutdown and hope they don’t since it’s about 2 miles from my house.  

On 11/14/2023 at 2:08 PM, Middler said:

There was an above average Golf Galaxy in Charlotte that I bought from occasionally over the years. Then a PGA Superstore went into the same shopping center, great store and they got most of my business - at least what I couldn't get from a different nearby GG or online. I assumed the former Golf Galaxy would survive, but in a little over a year it's closed/empty/kaput. Surprised me at least...

I would really like to get down there and be fitted for irons and fairway woods sometime over the winter. I’ve never been fitted before and Charlotte is the closest one to me, but it’s still almost 3 hour drive .

Jnr

When I was working off a pager and texts if I ever felt overwhelmed I would go to the local PGASS just to be ignored. The have a lot of equipment, but have the same cold personality of their Home Depot count part.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

When I was living in the West Valley of Phoenix, my closest GG/PGATSS/DSG were all within about 1/8 of a mile form each other. GG was on one side of the road with the PGATSS and DSG across the street about a block apart. Granted, Phoenix is a strong golf destination so they seemed to both always be somewhat busy whenever I'd gone into them.

What I noticed going to GG & PGATSS was that GG employed lots of part-time younger people who may or may not be there between visits. So turnover seemed higher than the other. PGATSS seemed to have more "aged" staff, but was also a bit understaffed like GG was. I had bad luck with both stores for club work and just started paying a bit more at one of my local shops as I was more comfortable that the work would be done right the first time. I also noticed that PGATSS seemed to have better fitters the few times I did impromptu fittings at both. GG was young "kids" doing them and you could tell they didn't have much experience and even had a bit of "I don't care" type of attitudes towards what I was testing.

Where I am now, I don't have either stores within about 45 minutes from me. So I'm pretty much an online shopper only now unless there's something big or important I need to go and put my hands on before buying.

Ultimately I think every location is different and every store seems to do their own thing beyond what corporate tells them. It's sad that your GG is gone, as like chisag said competition is good. But it happens.

Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
or
Driver: :callaway-small: Ai Smoke Ti 340 Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 70g
Fairways: :mizuno-small: ST230 Max 3w / 5w / 7w, 15* / 18* / 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: ST230 Max 5H (25*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX, 80g
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG, Personally Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder & Testing the Vortex Anarch Rangefinder.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/item/388-excellent-used-sub70-939x-4-hybrid-hzrdus-smoke-black-90g-60-mcc4-mid/
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/item/387-excellent-used-sub70-939x-3-hybrid-hzrdus-smoke-black-90g-60-mcc4-mid/
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/item/386-excellent-used-sub70-949x-5-wood-hzrdus-smoke-blue-rdx-60g-60-mcc4-mid/
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/item/385-excellent-used-sub70-949x-3-wood-hzrdus-smoke-red-rdx-70g-60-mcc4-mid/
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/item/369-takomo-101-4-pw-dg120-s300-excellent-condition

Golf Galaxy has two other stores in the Charlotte area (one in Pineville, another up north), and there are several Dicks Sporting Goods around, so they probably figured the rent wasn't worth fighting for the market in the Matthews area.  I was hoping they would move into the former Bed Bath & Beyond store in the Arboretum, but no such luck.

1 hour ago, unccross said:

I would really like to get down there and be fitted for irons and fairway woods sometime over the winter. I’ve never been fitted before and Charlotte is the closest one to me, but it’s still almost 3 hour drive .

The Charlotte PGASS is very well stocked. The store is as large and well stocked as Chicago, where I used to live FWIW. Been to both many times. Like anywhere you go for free fittings, you never know what you're going to get IME. Could be great, or not. I've taken to getting fitted at demo days over fittings after a few sketchy free big box fittings and even a worthless fitting at Club Champion.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

On 11/16/2023 at 8:21 AM, hohjoe said:

When I was working off a pager and texts if I ever felt overwhelmed I would go to the local PGASS just to be ignored. The have a lot of equipment, but have the same cold personality of their Home Depot count part.

Different strokes I guess. I don't like stores that hover or ask you every time they see you, 'can I help you.' If I need help, I ask, and I've never been disappointed. YMMV

Edited by Middler
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

On 11/16/2023 at 9:26 AM, Middler said:

Different strokes I guess. I don't like stores that hover or ask you every time they see you, 'can I help you.' If I need help, I ask, and I've never been disappointed. YMMV

I agree, I don't like a store that hovers over customers and I don't like someone to follow me around like I'm going to stick a driver down my pants. But, it is nice to be at least acknowledged.

Edited by hohjoe

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

4 minutes ago, hohjoe said:

I agree, I don't store that hover over customers and I don't like someone to follow me around like I'm going to stick a driver down my pants. But, it is nice to be at least acknowledged.

Is that a driver down your pants or are just glad to see us.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag