Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Club Re-Shaft Opinions/Thoughts Wanted

Greetings to all.  Happy 2024!  

I wanted to get the opinions/thoughts from the MGS community on re-shafting existing clubs.  Not that I want to physically re-shaft the clubs...I need thoughts on new shafts for "my swing" profile.  Since a re-shaft could cost easily cost $800-$1200 depending on Shaft including installation & new grips...I really want to hear opinions from other golfers who may have undertaken the effort/task.   

First off...I am 65 and have Driver SS of 92-99.  My 6 iron SS range from 75-85 (depending on quality of strike).  I currently have UST Mamiya Recoil SmacWrap F3 (reg) 70gram shafts.  The 6i dispersion (as of my last 2 simulator sessions) shows about 6-10 Yards offline on average.   I miss a lot both Left and Right on the course.  I am wondering if heavier shafts w/lower Torque could improve my consistency and dispersion.  I did a shaft fitting with a fitter using the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer...and the output is attached.  Basically...said I am mid Tempo & mid release with a speed of 77.33.  The suggestions all seemed to be stiff flex and in the 105-110G weight...which seems like a lot of weight to add to my shafts after years of swinging 70G shafts.

My Main goals if to improve my dispersion numbers...and keep (or improve) my distance...but that is secondary.  I seem to be in between a Reg or Stiff profile.  I prefer Reg Flex, but would consider R+ flex.  I am very wary of Stiff profile shafts. 

Questions:

• Is Increasing shaft weight from 70 to possibly 80+ 90+ even 105-110 Gram "Too Much" of an adjustment (either Steel or Graphite)?  Or is it all dependent on "Feel" and Flight of the ball?  

I liked the feel of the SteelFiber i95...and the TT DG Steel 95.  Simulator sessions showed my distance was about the same...dispersion really improved (especially for the Steel TTDG 95) by over 50%.  SteelFiber offers a 80 gram model (85 gram wgt)....but I have not been able to swing one...only the i95 in Reg & Stiff.  

• Have any other members reshafted from Graphite to Steel?  What was your experiences with determining the right weight/flex?  I have seen comments going from Steel to Graphite...but nothing on Graphite to Steel.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

IMG_3922.jpg

Back in October, I went for a shaft fitting to see how graphite shafts would compare to my TT Elevate 95 gram regular flex steel iron shafts.  In fact, I was convinced that the graphite shafts would show improvement and I would just have to narrow down which shaft to install.  I hit UST Recoil and Steelfiber shafts in different weights and flexes.  At the end of the session, the fitter said there wasn't enough difference to justify switching out my shafts.  So, in my opinion, it is all about feel and personal preference.  The graphite shafts will feel softer and easier on the hands.  I will probably switch to graphite iron shafts when I purchase my next set of irons.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

44 minutes ago, PP05629 said:

The 6i dispersion (as of my last 2 simulator sessions) shows about 6-10 Yards offline on average.  

I miss a lot both Left and Right on the course.  

I am wondering if heavier shafts w/lower Torque could improve my consistency and dispersion.  

The suggestions all seemed to be stiff flex and in the 105-110G weight...which seems like a lot of weight to add to my shafts after years of swinging 70G shafts.

My Main goals if to improve my dispersion numbers...and keep (or improve) my distance...but that is secondary.  I seem to be in between a Reg or Stiff profile.  I prefer Reg Flex, but would consider R+ flex.  I am very wary of Stiff profile shafts. 

Is Increasing shaft weight from 70 to possibly 80+ 90+ even 105-110 Gram "Too Much" of an adjustment (either Steel or Graphite)?  Or is it all dependent on "Feel" and Flight of the ball?  

I liked the feel of the SteelFiber i95...and the TT DG Steel 95.  Simulator sessions showed my distance was about the same...dispersion really improved (especially for the Steel TTDG 95) by over 50%.  SteelFiber offers a 80 gram model (85 gram wgt)....but I have not been able to swing one...only the i95 in Reg & Stiff.  

Have any other members reshafted from Graphite to Steel?  What was your experiences with determining the right weight/flex?  I have seen comments going from Steel to Graphite...but nothing on Graphite to Steel.

Here are my thoughts:

1.  If the 6-10 yard dispersion is typical of your course performance then I believe your have a good dispersion pattern.  We all miss left and right; even pros, as golf is more of shotgun pattern than a rifle pattern.   What do you think your dispersion pattern should be?

2.  heavier and lower torque could make your dispersion better or it could make it worse.   You need to swing the shafts to find out how you react to them.

3.  The shaft optimizer provides recommendations based on similar swings and is generally a place to start as it give a fitter a weight class and shaft profile.   The fitter then observes you hitting those shafts and makes adjustments.  

4.  70G to 100g could be a lot or could be nothing based on how you perceive weight.   It could be that the 70g shafts you are playing are too light.   Did you get fit into those shafts?  Has anything changed since you were fit into those shafts: physical condition, significant swing alterations?

5. shaft flex is not a standard thing in the golf industry meaning something labeled stiff in one shaft could be a senior in another shaft.   Shaft profile influences what you will feel.  

6. You obviously tried heavier shafts and got the performance improvement you were looking for;  you should trust the shaft the fitter put you into.

7.  most people go graphite to steel; some for performance reasons and some for "health" reasons.   Since Graphite is typically a cost upgrade over steel most people don't go that way.   Ultimately it doesn't matter what anyone else does,  it it about what works for you and your swing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Cnosil covered it pretty well. I’ll add onto the shaft optimizer a bit. It doesn’t account for feel at all. So as mentioned it’s a starting point and a way to narrow down what options to try.

You need to the shafts to see what works for you 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have gone from Steel to Graphite and now back to Steel.  I agree it all depends on how you deliver the club and whether weight in your shafts performs better or feels better or not.  A fitting helps but sometimes you have to try it out on one club and see side by side whether it’s better or not.  I definitely benefit from a slightly lighter stiff shaft vs a DG stock stiff shaft.

Hopefully you find the ideal shaft for your game.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

If it was me, I would be in experimentation mode!!  I went from graphite back to steel many years ago.  It could be fun trying different shafts over the next couple winter months to figure out what seems to feel good and provide better launch monitor dispersion numbers.  Then you could get a 7 or 8 iron made up with that shaft to try in the wild when it warms up and see if it matched the simulator performance.  Then you could decide if the rest of the set needed to be changed out. 

You mention being wary of stiff shafts but you can get a "stiff" in a lighter weight to match your current shaft weight or a "regular" in a heavier weight to see how they feel to you and how they perform.   I suggest doing a blind test, not knowing the shaft being used, so you don't let a personal bias impact your impressions.  As mentioned by @cnosil one company's regular is another's stiff and the flex rating can even be different between models within the same manufacturer.  Ignore what flex is printed on the shaft and go with the feel and performance to make your choice.

I am going through a similar experiment this winter to see if I need to change up from the PX LZ 6.0 steel iron shafts in my JPX 900 Forged.  If I am honest, mostly it's to scratch an itch to try graphite again.  I am happy with my dispersion and dont want to lose anything there but wouldn't mind squeezing a few more yards out of my irons if a lighter weight graphite adds a few mph.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I am going out to Golf Galaxy today...to see what shafts they have.  Maybe I'll just get another fitting to see I can try the shafts/weights to see if that helps with the "feel" of Reg Steel shafts.  I am not completely wedded to steel for new shafts...I just want something a heavier then 70G and less torque (from 4.1).  

Hoping to Try:

• TT DG 105 Reg
  • Modus 105G Reg
  • SteelFiber i80
  • KBS Tour 110G Reg...though 110G sounds "heavy"...but as everyone recommends...try it to see how it feels.

Thank again for all the replies/comments.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Lets talk shafts, "normally" shafts in the 70 gram range are considered REGULAR in flex and when measured typically come out at that reading. At 70 grams torque, bend profiles are going to be different than an 80 or even 90 gram version of the same shaft.  This is true with steel,  although it tough to find a 70 gram steel shaft and those are typically buggy whips. 

Weight is weight regardless of the material making the shaft BUT you can get a bunch of impressive profiles on graphite.  For instance KBS tour model shaft is quite stiff and the players version is just a bit softer.  The Project VRTX 80 gram is a massive performer for those  "tweeners"  on flex and weight.  If you want a boardy feel then the accra TZ might be a choice. What does all this mean???

That answering your question with the info above would seem to be getting a slightly higher weight shaft (my guess 80 but not higher the 90/95) that in graphite will also provide the stiffer flex and profile to help with dispersion. If you were to try steel my vote would be the nippon neo950gh.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

1 hour ago, McGolf said:

Lets talk shafts, "normally" shafts in the 70 gram range are considered REGULAR in flex and when measured typically come out at that reading. At 70 grams torque, bend profiles are going to be different than an 80 or even 90 gram version of the same shaft.  This is true with steel,  although it tough to find a 70 gram steel shaft and those are typically buggy whips. 

Weight is weight regardless of the material making the shaft BUT you can get a bunch of impressive profiles on graphite.  For instance KBS tour model shaft is quite stiff and the players version is just a bit softer.  The Project VRTX 80 gram is a massive performer for those  "tweeners"  on flex and weight.  If you want a boardy feel then the accra TZ might be a choice. What does all this mean???

That answering your question with the info above would seem to be getting a slightly higher weight shaft (my guess 80 but not higher the 90/95) that in graphite will also provide the stiffer flex and profile to help with dispersion. If you were to try steel my vote would be the nippon neo950gh.

McGolf,

Is there still a chart for steel shafts grouped by Kick Point? I like the shafts with a higher kick point and have been thinking of changing them out in my Hogans.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

On 1/8/2024 at 3:43 PM, buckpillar said:

McGolf,

Is there still a chart for steel shafts grouped by Kick Point? I like the shafts with a higher kick point and have been thinking of changing them out in my Hogans.

Not that I am aware however it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Kick point is another specification that is OEM specific. and really dont change radically up and down the shaft. But a smaller change can be all the difference. higher kick point are typically associated with shaft designated for "PLAYERS" or butt stiff type shafts. I have to use typically and other nebulous terms as it is a  moving target. Id look to DG, KBS tour. Modus 125 or 115 s a start

Edited by McGolf

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

1 hour ago, McGolf said:

Not that I am aware however it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Kick point is another specification that is OEM specific. and really dont change radically up and down the shaft. But ans smaller change can beall the difference. higher kick point are typically associated with shaft designated for "PLAYERS" or butt stiff type shafts. I have to use typically and other nebulous terms as it is a  moving target. Id look to DG, KBS tour. Modus 125 or 115 s a start

Thank you for the information, I'll be looking around to see what I can find. I appreciate you!

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]