Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Unofficial review - L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick

MissionMan

Very well done on the unofficial review. I’m tempted to pick up a regular Mezz but haven’t pulled the trigger just yet

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Very well done on the unofficial review. I’m tempted to pick up a regular Mezz but haven’t pulled the trigger just yet

The Mezz Max doesn't take too long to get used to. They recommend a drill of putting with the thumbs off, and that definitely helps with any muscle memory trying to open or shut the face depending on what putter you came from.

I also found putting one-handed (right hand only) helped a lot as well, as it forces you to use the weight of the putter.

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
TSR2 15° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
2 Iron T200 Utility and MCC +4, 
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick

Nice job! Well written and informative. I switched to a Mezz.max last fall and it wasn’t until I switched to the pistol press grip that everything clicked for me and the Mezz. It’s awesome that you have found success with the broomstick, as it seems to be gaining popularity amoung our LAB faithful members. Well done.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Great review!  I have the DF2.1 and have been really wanting to try the broomstick and waiting until the new LAB has the option.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

On 2/5/2024 at 8:38 PM, Josh Parker said:

Great review!  I have the DF2.1 and have been really wanting to try the broomstick and waiting until the new LAB has the option.

The DF3 would be an interesting option in the broom when it arrives. i'd be interested to hear from someone who tries both the DF3 and Mezz Max in broomstick, it might tempt me to that if I end up going with a TPT shaft later

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 

On 2/4/2024 at 2:10 PM, MissionMan said:

DSC01573.jpg.50a81122636d4226cafdcc72225b626f.jpg

Introduction
This review initially started as a Mezz Max review, but as I wrote it, I became increasingly curious about trying a L.A.B broomstick. As a result, it ended up differently from what I originally intended. I ordered a Broomstick, and here we are, a review of the broomstick. I received my Mezz Max (standard/non-broomstick) in August 2023. The Mezz Max Broomstick arrived in January 2024 for some context.

My putting background
Some background on my putting: I’d put my putting in the “okay, but not good enough” territory. Not excellent, not terrible. I don’t 3-putt a lot, but I don’t one-putt as much as I should for my handicap. I also have the occasional bad rounds where my putting is entirely off, but those aren’t regular occurrences. I am good at short stuff inside 4 feet but miss a lot in the 6+ foot range. I have had days where I’ve played to my handicap and missed 6-7 putts from 6-10 feet, hence my frustration. I’ve also had days where I have missed 3-footers because I’m too tentative, and I’ve lost my confidence.

I wasn’t expecting miracles with L.A.B, but I expected to make those longer putts at least sometimes, and before getting my L.A.B, “sometimes” wasn’t very often. Over the last 18 months, since I got back into golf, I’ve been battling to find a putter that works for me — I started with an Evnroll ER2N; it was nice but didn’t feel natural. I tried a mallet (Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5), which felt more comfortable than the ER2N, but I still felt like I was battling to keep my swing stable.

I received my L.A.B Mezz Max (non-broomstick) in August 2023. I decided to try the L.A.B putter after a fellow golfer mentioned it. I did some research, like what I saw. I’ll cover the non-broomstick in the next section before I move on to the broomstick.

DSC01568.jpg.229d8b40cc80358e31fab55832c3ac8b.jpg

The L.A.B with the black Winn grip

My quick thoughts on the Mezz Max (standard/non-broomstick)

Given I spent six months on the Mezz Max standard, I thought I would add a quick mini-review before digging into the broomstick review. The simple answer is if I weren’t going the broomstick path, this would be my putter. If broomsticks were banned, the Mezz Max non-broomstick would be my next choice.

The Mezz Max helped me realise that many of my long putts missed weren't misreads; they were mis-putts. An obvious push or pull is an easy miss to identify.

The problem with putting is that 1-2 degrees is enough to miss a putt or add enough side roll to allow for a miss. It’s also small enough for you to pass off as a misread, so it’s only really when you see it’s not a misread that you start to understand how much of a difference the putter makes.

Why a broomstick?

The Mezz Max was a significant improvement on my Scotty. I’ve had some fantastic days draining long putts with the Mezz Max, and I came second in our club champs. I also had the most birdies in a single round, 2 of which were long putts. That being the case, why the broomstick?

But, as much as the Mezz Max made a huge difference, there were a few reasons I looked at it:

• My success with my L.A.B Mezz Max non-broomstick helped me realise I had nothing to lose by thinking outside the box.
  • My success with the L.A.B made me realise I had nothing to lose by thinking outside the box. The Mezz was a good stepping stone to the broomstick because it helped me understand that a putter is not just about feeling. Balance plays a considerable part in it. It made me step out of my comfort zone and see what unconventional putters can do.
  • My putting stroke still felt quite deliberate and contrived. This is part of why I had such exceptional and mediocre days. The L.A.B helped my alignment, but it could do a limited amount on my ability to gain adaptable distance control on fast and slow days. I may be good on one speed of green and not the other.
  • I wasn’t getting the end-over-end roll that I saw with Broomstick putters. This showed me that my putting stroke still had a lot of work to do. When your stroke isn’t natural, and you add a line to the ball, you’re likelier to get a slight wobble.
  • If it didn’t work, I could return to my existing L.A.B and at least know that I was headed down the right path. Without trying, I didn’t know whether I had anything to gain.

DSC01570.jpg.0ba7303af387387c891bf0359e9f0850.jpg

The white headcover is better quality than the black

Design and Construction

Starting with aesthetics, my original L.A.B Mezz Max was a head-turner due to the sharp angles of the design. It was a love-it-or-hate-it design. I like it, but I wouldn’t say I like the DF. Modern, space age, sharp angles like a Tesla Cybertruck. The broomstick version is a head-turner for a different reason: it’s a broomstick putter, and they’re not that common or mainstream on the golf courses I play at. I live in a small town with many retired golfers where I don’t think I’ve ever seen a broomstick or armlock.

Our local importer carries some standard broomstick configuration models in stock. I picked up a broomstick that was already in stock and ready to go. Specs were 46” with 79.5 degree lie. It came with an Accra white shaft, a black Winn split grip and a black head cover. The aesthetics of this spec are not my first choice. The length and lie angle are spot on, but the black Winn grip combo with the white shaft hasn’t grown on me. The white grip/white shaft works, and the white grip black shaft works, but the white shaft/black grip doesn’t look great.

I ordered a spare white grip and left it off the putter for two weeks to see if the black grips would grow on me. They didn’t, so I’ve replaced it with a white. The white L.A.B grip looked much better. I appreciate this was a short-term issue with stock due to the high demand.

In comparing the white and black grips from a usability and quality perspective, the ridge on the back of the white grip isn't something I liked. The original Winn grip has a slightly better design with worse aesthetics. As a result, if L.A.B can remove the ridge, I think they'd have a better design.

DSC01569.jpg.79b1b03699895bb6d4af83d3e946c00d.jpg

The sharp angles of the Mezz Max are modern and remind me of a Stealth Fighter

The construction on the Mezz Max is excellent, which I would expect for the price. L.A.Bs aren’t cheap. It’s not glamorous like some of the Scotty’s with painted inlays and bling, but it’s functional and practical. I think the Scotty approach is a little more art and collector-orientated, where this is designed with a purpose. It reminds me of a B2 Stealth Bomber. That said, I still think the Mezz Max looks a lot better than the D.F. range.

I didn’t opt for the T.P.T. or L.A. Golf shaft upgrade. At the time, I wasn't sure if I could justify the $400 price upgrade on a TPT shaft. The construction quality of the Accra is really high. The matt finish is durable and I haven't had any marks appearing on the white shaft in 4 weeks which is surprising with general golf bag usage.

The coating on the Mezz Max head itself is also durable. After 6 months of use on my non-broomstick, I've seen almost no marks or scratches, and I would expect the broomstick to be the same. I am not someone who is very careful with my gear so it's good to know it can take knocks without issue..

There are two minor gripes I have with the quality of the putter. The first of these relates to the cover. For the price of the putter, I feel like it should be a better-quality cover. My six-month-old black Mezz Max cover looks frayed on the outside. I don’t think that should happen. I bought a $20 Magnetic Alixpress cover for my Scotty Phantom X, which looks far better after a similar time frame.

DSC01557.jpg.898562fe57e6a4a8c4ac23b7d9875be9.jpg

Headcover wear on my Mezz Max seems a little excessive

It feels a little substandard on the L.A.B Putters and could be fixed at a relatively low cost. Looking back, I think my Evnroll had the best headcover, followed by the Scotty (velcro), and then the L.A.B feels relatively low quality compared to the others. I’ve ordered a white version, which seems to have a better construction. I would recommend going for the white or brown if you have an option at purchase, but if you are buying a stock spec, you get black whether you like it or not.

The second issue is the screws on the bottom rusting. My 6-month-old Mezz Max standard is already seeing rusted screws, which I don’t think should happen on a putter of this price. It’s just cosmetic, but I still don't think it shouldn’t happen. As someone who plays in some less-than-ideal weather, it’s an annoyance. I understand it's something to do with the heating of the screws, so I'm not sure if there is a way around this. Perhaps a light clear coat at the factory would avoid this.

DSC01580.jpg.f3c2227b568253ea72ef5a3f681be1e4.jpg

While purely cosmetic, the rusted screws on the Mezz Max after 6 months isn't ideal

First Impressions

The first thing that caught me off guard was the weight. It’s a lot heavier than I expected. I don’t mean it negatively. It’s just an observation and a surprise, not that it feels too heavy. You have some perceptions about what a broomstick will feel like, and I was expecting something much lighter.

The broomsticks have a different feel, so it didn’t feel natural from day one. The putting stroke wasn’t terrible and not as foreign as I expected. It’s like learning to putt again, but the progression is quicker because you already know how to read the lines.

Off the face, the putter has a soft feel, like you're putting with a softer ball. This is no different to the Mezz Max and reminds me a little of the softer feel you get with an EVRoll putter over a Scotty Cameron. The distance was easy to get used to although I was already using a Mezz Max non-broomstick so that would influence it.

DSC01576.jpg.e51b10e944deefab7c4f49aa6bce359c.jpg

There are a variety of balls on the market that show the roll of the ball. This is just a subset

As mentioned in the construction area, I opted for the stock configuration. In hindsight, after a month of use, I would recommend considering the TPT, if you can afford the extra cost. With the stock Accra, you can feel a tiny bit of flex. If the TPT offers increased stiffness, it'll help reduce this. I'll be clear and say the flex is only noticeable when you're holding it in a non-putting position, I haven't noticed it while putting.

I'm not sure if this is only noticeable on the longer shafts as mine is a 46. I haven't tried the TPT, so I can't comment emphatically on whether the TPT is noticeably better or whether this is simply what longer putters feel like. I'd still rather get the L.A.B in Accra than not have a broomstick, so it isn't a make or break issue.

There was talk that a grip would feel natural immediately. Two felt naturalish, and I bounced between those two grips before settling on the cigar grip. The elbow towards the target thing worked best for me.

The biggest challenge with broomsticks is that it isn’t an exact science. There are videos like the one from L.A.B below, but they all cover the basics of broomstick putting. There is information like “put your top hand here” and use a couple of different grips, but Sam’s video doesn’t cover the nuances of grip strength or other more advanced elements.

It’s not a criticism of the video itself. It’s designed to be an introductory video on using a broomstick. Still, it highlights a problem: There aren’t a lot of resources for advanced Broomstick-putting techniques to fall back on for small things. No, I'm not offering my services. I'm the last person you want to get advice from.

In terms of the learning curve, I wouldn’t say a broomstick is more straightforward to putt with, but what I have found is that it’s easier to be accurate with, and it’s easier to get your distance right. It will still take a fair amount of work to reach a point where you are doing well. You can putt at a mediocre level quickly, so if your putting is terrible, you could match or exceed that early. Getting consistent roll on all putting lengths will take work.

Where the Mezz Max standard/non-broomstick was easier to get immediate results because it’s fixing alignment and you already know how to swing a putter the way you did before, the broomstick needed more practice. I had the added complexity that our course tends to let the greens go a little longer to protect them during December/January holiday traffic. Playing slow greens with long putts can be challenging for accuracy with a broomstick if you’re starting. The short answer is to let the putter’s weight do the work and focus solely on keeping the putter aligned in the forward swing. Don’t try to accelerate the putter on the downswing. You will get more speed out of the putter with a long controlled pendulum putt and a centre hit than forcing it and having an off-centre hit.

DSC01581.jpg.6a1755a575140962abd59e2168927298.jpg

The Accra shaft does an excellent job

Once you get to grips and feel more comfortable, it’s much more consistent in distance than a conventional putter. If I know the line, I can get five putts within a foot of the hole on a 30-foot putt. I could not get that consistency on lag-putting previously.

The second thing I’ve noticed is the consistency of the ball roll. When you look at the ball roll end-over-end in this Lucas Glover video at 3:31, I didn’t get that with a conventional putter. I sometimes had it with a conventional putter, whereas I almost always get it with my broomstick.

What does it mean in real terms? My first outing with the putter was a Saturday club comp. It arrived midday on the Friday, so I had an hour or two and then decided to give it a go. 32 putts on the day, not a bad outing for a first day.

My second outing was a little better, 30 putts for the day. It was more in line with what I was expecting. The third outing got even better with a 28-putt day.

The negatives of broomsticks

There are two negatives with the L.A.B broomstick:

• Firstly, there is still the issue of social stigma. There is still some negativity to broomstick putters. When you show up with a broomstick, people seem to think you’re a clueless pro wannabe or a useless putter. Most of these elements disappear when (or if) you putt well, and the stigma turns to genuine curiosity. I’ve had some people who look at you with complete disdain. Most naysayers have conservative views of golf as a traditional game yet seem open to gaming newer driver head designs that give them a 30-yard advantage. Ironic? As we see more P.G.A. wins with broomsticks, we should start to see greater acceptance levels.
  • Secondly, good luck getting a grip changed. With broomsticks not being commonplace, five places I went to were too scared to swap my black to white grips because they were worried about damaging the grip or the shaft. They had never done a broomstick before. Some offered to ship it off to other stores with a week's turnaround before I found someone capable of doing it.

DSC01583.jpg.819994ce7083156ba60d67049ce09c19.jpg

The white L.A.B grip looks much better

Longer term view

It’s been a month since my broomstick arrived, so what’s a longer-term view relative to my Lab Mezz and Scotty? I’m a broomstick convert. I’m keeping the Mezz Max standard/non-broomstick and selling my Scotty. I’m not expecting the L.A.B non-broomstick to get much work, but I’ll keep it as a backup in case there is a change of rules.

With a bit of work, my lag putting is now as good as it’s ever been. I’d say my putting has gone from a weakness to one of the strengths in my game. I still have the occasional off day, but that’s typically more about misreading greens.

My putting straightness had previously improved with the arrival of the L.A.B non-broomstick. But distance control was a challenge, and I would bounce between 28 and 35 putts depending on the green speed. The broomstick has filled the gap in my distance control. I can easily shift between varying green speeds and maintain my distance control, provided the practice greens are similar to the course. As someone who plays regularly on a public course, we occasionally find our greenkeepers mowing the practice greens and playing greens on different days, making practice before comps a nightmare. We've even had them mowing greens midway through a comp, believe it or not.

One of the things the broomstick exposes is a realistic understanding of how bad you are at reading greens. I don’t think I understood how bad I was at reading greens until I started putting well enough to know I was hitting the ball exactly where I wanted.

After all of that, where am I now?

• Saturday comp 13 Jan - First outing 32 putts
  • Saturday comp 20 Jan - Second outing 30 putts
  • Saturday comp 27 Jan - Third outing 28 putts
  • Saturday comp 03 Feb (monthly medal) - 28 putts

I'll note that for monthly medals at our course, it's back tees with the pins are tucked away in pretty difficult spots. The greens are cut much shorter than normal, so 28 putts on the day is really good. We had some greens where the balls rolled backwards if you didn't reach the hole. I also won the monthly medal with a net 68 in tough conditions.

DSC01585.jpg.ba0623633761bb5431c0c2df77ef7b1b.jpg

The bad days are still going to happen...

So, I’ve just been telling you how amazing the L.A.B is, and now I’m saying that's not the case. How does that work?

You probably saw Byeong Hun An miss a 6-foot putt in the playoffs. That’s the kind of thing we’re talking about. He wouldn’t have reached the playoffs if he wasn’t putting well. Rory McIlroy 3-putted from 2 feet, so it’s not a L.A.B problem. It’s a good and bad day problem. If the bad days are your every day, then that’s a problem, but you could occasionally find off days.

The key is to look at average putts over multiple rounds, not expecting the putter to miraculously solve the days where you sunk 16 beers the night before, and your breath smells like jet fuel, or just slept badly. My average putts are now down to around 30 putts or less a round.

Well, the problem with putting is that there are three elements to consider:

• The Putter
  • Technique
  • Green reading

The broomstick may help make #2 easier to get the technique consistent, but you must still have the right technique and read the putt.

DSC01587.jpg.3053bc11c922bfdfb076b5c51b3e9466.jpg

The grooves on the putter face give it a soft feel

When I miss a putt on my broomstick, it's usually because I’m trying to force the right hand. My stroke becomes inconsistent. Given it’s only been a month, I know that will become more natural in time. My backswing doesn't feel quite as smooth as I would like, but that will improve.

You are also going to have bad green reading days. I’ve had days (non-comp) where I am misreading the amount of break or the speed, and the putter isn’t going to help you there. Green reading depends on moisture, grass length, grain direction, etc. Let’s be honest: most of us aren’t good enough to get it right most of the time, let alone all the time.

I’ve enrolled in an Aimpoint class in the coming month, so that should help me with my green reading, assuming they can teach me.

Some lessons I've learned on my short journey with a broomstick

1. Let the putter do the work - don't force the swing with a broomstick putter. Focus on keeping the pendulum on the correct line and let the backswing and weight of the putter do the work. If you force it and try hit the ball, you’ll have off-centre strikes and shorter distances.
  2. You have to invest the time to relearn how to putt to get your putting consistent. Broomsticks won’t solve a lack of putting practice.
  3. Practice with alignment balls if you can - Getting your roll right gives you an immediate cue on how well you are striking your putts and how straight the pendulum is. Wobbles on your putting stroke mean you have work to do. I used Srixon Z Star divide as a putting ball while practising as I found they are one of the best balls to see the roll with a Pro V1 ball feel. Try the Qstar divide if you want something harder to compare to a Pro V1X.
  4. Practice mats are great for getting used to your stroke, but nothing will beat being on greens where the speed isn't consistent.
  5. You will have to work it out on your own until there are some advanced broomstick resources on the web. We need Adam Scott to do an intermediate and advanced series with L.A.B to get some learnings from a Broomstick veteran.

DSC01567.jpg.c697cc1204b2c1727d59c30a094d3cfb.jpg

Srixon Z Star have a similar feel to a Pro V1 so I've used them for putting practice and practice rounds

Conclusion

As you’ve already gathered, I’m really impressed with my L.A.B broomstick, I was already a believer in what L.A.B were trying to achieve after I got my Mezz Max standard putter, but the broomstick has been a real eye-opener for me. I'm glad to see the success they are starting to achieve in professional golf because it's an organisation that deserves the credit they are getting.

L.A.B putters aren't going to suit everyone. Broomstick putters are niche and may be intimidating for those who haven't considered them. The L.A.B aesthetics may not be everyone’s choice. I like them, but I also heard someone once say they are the ugly baby only a mother could love. That said, you'd be crazy not to try them, even if it's only the Link.1. The benefits could be substantial. and what looks better to you? A good-looking putter or a good-looking scorecard?

My wife may disagree with my sentiments for financial reasons, but I consider my L.A.B purchases a worthwhile golf investment. I don't feel nervous when I stand over longer putts in comp, and I have greater confidence in my ability to drop putts in the 8-10 foot range. Now I expect them to drop, even if they don't.

The next thing on my radar will be to test with the TPT shaft. That's probably the only change I would consider right now. On a side note, I would love to see a collapsible broomstick for travel because I feel like I couldn't use a rental short putter anymore if I travel for business and rent clubs. That's really starting to get into first-world problems.

I used to think broomsticks were only for people who had the yips, but I've realised it's just another tool, and different tools suit different people. Much like the difference between an iron, a hybrid, and a wood, they're all just different ways of getting to the same hole, and some golfers are different than others. Some PGA players can't use hybrids because they hook them. I put this in the same territory.

My only question is what will happen when I arrive at the Team Titleist Golf Day with my broomstick. Will I be shunned and treated like an outcast? Will the other players even talk to me? I've already converted a friend to a broomstick, so I won't be alone.

Awesome write up! What grip did you ultimately end up using on the broomstick?

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

@missionman If you have the extra cash, I really think you would enjoy the TPT shaft. Personally I think it’s the perfect shaft for a Broom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

On 2/14/2024 at 2:11 AM, TylorJudd said:

Awesome write up! What grip did you ultimately end up using on the broomstick?

I played with the cigar for a while, but ultimately ended up with the pencil (I think). The pencil forced me to stop trying to hard with the right hand and letting the shaft do the work

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 

nice review. my traditional lab df2.1 is amazing, as I have developed a stroke with the best roll possible and i hit my lines without trying, but distance control is still a problem. i’ll blame the very inconsistent greens of my home course somewhat, but I know I could be better. maybe a df3 with a tpt is in the cards.

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

• 2 weeks later...

Great review, I just ordered one a couple of days ago. Hopefully, I have similar results to yours because my putting has been the most inconsistent part of my game.

TSR2 10* GD AD DI 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei 1K BLK 75s

STz  230 19* LINQ 75 F4

STz 230 22* LINQ 75 F4

JPX 923 HMP 5 - 8 Axiom 105s

JPX 923 HMP 9 - G Axiom 105x

54*,  58* Vokey

Odessey AI-One Rossie

16 hours ago, Botadesu said:

Great review, I just ordered one a couple of days ago. Hopefully, I have similar results to yours because my putting has been the most inconsistent part of my game.

I’m sure you’ll love it. It does take a while to get used to but I wouldn’t switch back now

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 

28 putts with my Mezz Max Broom today

Cleveland

Loved the write up. I have a LAB DF 2.1 and love it but also have been intrigued by the possibility of being better with a broomstick or armlock putter. It would be an expensive test so thank you for putting your experience out there. The thing that stops me is that the DF 2.1 is already so BIG it takes up a lot of space in my bag. A broomstick would be super long and look a bit crazy, I guess I shouldn't care if I drop a bunch of putts with it. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 7:06 PM, MissionMan said:

The DF3 would be an interesting option in the broom when it arrives. i'd be interested to hear from someone who tries both the DF3 and Mezz Max in broomstick, it might tempt me to that if I end up going with a TPT shaft later

Nice write-up.  I gamed the Mezz Max until I had my right knee amputated and reattached...colloquially known as a knee replacement...and went to a broomstick so I wouldn't have to bend over so far to putt.  The DF3 looks like a cool design, even has a ball picker included in the design for us lazy gimme getters, but LAB only makes the broomstick in the Mezz Max head.  Shame really.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

7 minutes ago, GolferXY said:

Nice write-up.  I gamed the Mezz Max until I had my right knee amputated and reattached...colloquially known as a knee replacement...and went to a broomstick so I wouldn't have to bend over so far to putt.  The DF3 looks like a cool design, even has a ball picker included in the design for us lazy gimme getters, but LAB only makes the broomstick in the Mezz Max head.  Shame really.

I suspect the df3 broomstick will happen soon as the df3 head is the same size as a Mezz max. 

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 

16 minutes ago, GolferXY said:

but LAB only makes the broomstick in the Mezz Max head. 

You can get a broomstick with the DF2.1 head.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I remember seeing Adam Scott with the DF2 in broomstick when he first started using the broomstick but I couldn't find that option on the website so I emailed them and was told they only build the broomstick with the Max.  Maybe I was misinformed.  How long ago did you talk to them about it?  

-XY

2 hours ago, MissionMan said:

I suspect the df3 broomstick will happen soon as the df3 head is the same size as a Mezz max. 

Sure hope so.  I think that could be a game changer for me.

-XY

8 hours ago, GolferXY said:

I remember seeing Adam Scott with the DF2 in broomstick when he first started using the broomstick but I couldn't find that option on the website so I emailed them and was told they only build the broomstick with the Max.  Maybe I was misinformed.  How long ago did you talk to them about it?  

I haven’t talked to them, but you can order through their website..  go to the custom build of a 2.1 and broomstick is an option.   it even provides a link to the broomstick description page that says they do 2.1 broomsticks.  

https://labgolf.com/broomstick-putters-and-lie-angle-balance/

IMG_0244.png.95f80b546cddc2c648d07962f63f877f.png

IMG_0243.png.21468dbd763345e20646a7a8990ace17.png

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This was really well done…and amusing to read.

In December, I purchased the same…a MEZZ Max Broom with an Accra so it’s really nice to read your thoughts and compare them to my own experience.

The Accra shaft in the broom takes a fair share of abuse in the Facebook LAB group…I disagree with that sentiment, while it has a nice responsive feel, there are some who beleive it’s too soft to be a putter shaft.  

So for anyone here who is reading along and considering a broom, the Accra has been a very nice setup that doesn’t require a $400 TPT upgrade IMO. 

One final note…as @MissionMan has said…remove the idea that this putter is for people with the yips.  I bought one to see if I am leaving something out there…maybe this would improve my scoring.  Even better…after rolling putts with the broom and then switching to my standard MEZZ, I’ve found that it’s an incredible training aid.  It really reinforces the big muscle movement which translates easily to a standard putter.

Again, awesome write up sir… 🙂

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

On 3/10/2024 at 9:23 PM, MissionMan said:

Looks like the DF3 broomstick is on tour.  Lucas Glover has one in the bag this week 

the-players-championship-round-one.jpg?s

Just now, cnosil said:

Looks like the DF3 broomstick is on tour.  Lucas Glover has one in the bag this week 

the-players-championship-round-one.jpg?s

They told me it would be out sometime in March most likely.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

• 2 weeks later...

This was incredibly helpful. I am so intrigued by broomstick and this was the exact article/review I needed to convince me to try it. So in depth and thought out. Can’t wait to join sweeper nation! 

:ping-small: G400 Max, 9°, hzrdus smoke black

:ping-small: G425 Max 5W, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: G425 4H, Stock Stiff

:taylormade-small: M4 5H, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: i210 5-PW, Blue Dot, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Kushin C

:taylormade-small: TP5x Pix

:Arccos: Sensors

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 7:24 AM, Karls0991 said:

This was incredibly helpful. I am so intrigued by broomstick and this was the exact article/review I needed to convince me to try it. So in depth and thought out. Can’t wait to join sweeper nation! 

Glad it helped. It’s worth it if you give it the time to get used to the change

Edited by MissionMan

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 

I was out practicing yesterday and to humor myself run my broom up my left farm like you would a arm lock putter. The top of the handle reached right at the crease of my elbow. Although the lie angle had the putter toe sticking up I was making putts quicker than a hungry mule in a hay eating contest! I girded up my loins and put that style in play and made a boat load of putts! Makes me wonder if I need to add an armlock to my arsenal.

Cleveland

19 hours ago, ole gray said:

I was out practicing yesterday and to humor myself run my broom up my left farm like you would a arm lock putter. The top of the handle reached right at the crease of my elbow. Although the lie angle had the putter toe sticking up I was making putts quicker than a hungry mule in a hay eating contest! I girded up my loins and put that style in play and made a boat load of putts! Makes me wonder if I need to add an armlock to my arsenal.

(Perfect Number of Putters)=(Current Number of Putters) + 1

You can never have too many putters

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 

• 2 weeks later...

@MissionMan thanks so much for this post it has… 

1) made me sign up to the forums 

2) Start the remote fit process for a broom 

3) Strongly consider the TPT upgrade

currently a link putter (fit in store) where I was told DF 2.1 wasn’t for me. If the DF3 was out I think I would have too go for that! 

Cheers again for all the hard work

I am THE worst putter in the world… I will not have you try to take what is mine

Great review 👏.  I have been a broomsticker since 1996. The broomstick gives me great confidence and comfort every round. I just purchased the mezz max and it took me a few rounds and hours on the practice green to get used to the weight. Now, I love it! I am curious about trying put the broomstick DF 2.1 or DF 3.

Picsart_24-04-04_20-37-32-153.jpg

John McGroarty 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, JuniorXVIII said:

@MissionMan thanks so much for this post it has… 

1) made me sign up to the forums 

2) Start the remote fit process for a broom 

3) Strongly consider the TPT upgrade

currently a link putter (fit in store) where I was told DF 2.1 wasn’t for me. If the DF3 was out I think I would have too go for that! 

Cheers again for all the hard work

Glad it helped. I hope it goes well for you. I’d recommend sticking with it if you can, even if it starts a little badly. I spent every day down at the putting green for half an hour towards the end of the day when it was quieter. 

I’m still in the process of documenting some of my later learnings about broomsticks as there isn’t a lot of information beyond the basics to help in that respect. As an example, my putting went a little downhill recently and I couldn’t understand why because it was going so well with the broom.

It turned out to be a small grip change I made. The new grip felt more comfortable but I didn’t realise it would change the arc of my backswing so I started pulling my putts slightly. It was something as simple as how rotated your bottom hand was on the grip. With a broomstick, if your backswing isn’t correct, the forward swing won’t be. It wasn’t huge pull, but it was big enough for me to lose 3-5 putts a round out of nowhere on the 5-8 footers so it was annoying and confusing, None of the Instructionals talk about grip impacting the backswing, they talk about finding a grip that’s comfortable. 

I’ll try to find a way to add the extra information to this post, or elsewhere on this site once I have a greater understanding of what works and doesn’t work. There are other learnings I’ve had like ways to get your lag putting consistent, grounding the putter vs keeping it in the air, etc

Edited by MissionMan

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind,