SQAIRZ VELO Shoe: 2024 Forum Member Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below!

@funkyjudge - Main Post 

@Wheelieb - Main Post 

@Indy_Oz - Main Post 

@billpierce - Main Post

9 hours ago, billpierce said:

I have a total draw or even hook bias with the Sqairz shoe, compared to Puma spikeless.  

Interesting that both you and @Wheelieb are seeing  a draw bias just through change in shoes/ grip levels. I look forward to testing for the same change when I can get back to full swings. I already have a natural draw with my irons, so I could really do without turning it into a hook/ pull!

With the driver I wouldn't mind turning my fade/slice to something straighter or even a consistent draw. Ha ha

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small: 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW

:vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

4 hours ago, GregB135 said:

Update to the post. Still going to have to wait nearly another month for my shoes to arrive, but their response to my last email was a shipping notice for a shoe bag and 3 pairs of socks. At least they are making an effort to compensate for the delay. 

Wow!  That's a long wait!  Not trying to sound smartassy, but are they making the shoes by hand?

4 hours ago, GregB135 said:

Update to the post. Still going to have to wait nearly another month for my shoes to arrive, but their response to my last email was a shipping notice for a shoe bag and 3 pairs of socks. At least they are making an effort to compensate for the delay. 

Wow!  That's a long wait!  Not trying to sound smartassy, but are they making the shoes by hand?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

12 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

Interesting that both you and @Wheelieb are seeing  a draw bias just through change in shoes/ grip levels. I look forward to testing for the same change when I can get back to full swings. I already have a natural draw with my irons, so I could really do without turning it into a hook/ pull!

With the driver I wouldn't mind turning my fade/slice to something straighter or even a consistent draw. Ha ha

Well they did claim better dispersion, just didn’t say how that dispersion would get better. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

1 hour ago, Wheelieb said:

Well they did claim better dispersion, just didn’t say how that dispersion would get better. 

So these will turn me into the righty Mac Boucher? #aimright

2024 WITB:

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

So these will turn me into the righty Mac Boucher? #aimright

To be fair, He also does a lot of that on command. Something I only wish I could do

Ping Prime Tyne 4

19 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

I will share an update later today that shows some of the driver data. For me it is a bias but not crazy - just something that as I go for accuracy it worried me a bit.  My driver is where I struggle the most like many. Pleasantly surprised with the small accuracy increase observed,

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

2 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

To be fair, He also does a lot of that on command. Something I only wish I could do

Maybe a Bobby Boucher / Adam Sandler 🤣

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

15 hours ago, Rob Person said:

They hike the silk road while making the shoes!

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

While I don’t have data from a launch monitor, what I do have are shoes I wore for 9 holes where the ground wasn’t as wet as I thought it was going to be. So waterproof test is still going to have to be done. With that portion of the testing needing to wait until a good rain falls apparently, I can talk about the “breathability” these shoes have for walking. There’s a reason I had to pull the insoles up and out of the shoes. IMG_2752.jpeg.6c58d4eb650c842d45ac51dfa9b9084f.jpeg

My feet were pretty wet from just the 9 holes I walked. The plus side, my feet didn’t hurt from doing so. This is still going to be a work in progress to see if that continues. Hopefully wearing thinner socks may help. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

11 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

While I don’t have data from a launch monitor, what I do have are shoes I wore for 9 holes where the ground wasn’t as wet as I thought it was going to be. So waterproof test is still going to have to be done. With that portion of the testing needing to wait until a good rain falls apparently, I can talk about the “breathability” these shoes have for walking. There’s a reason I had to pull the insoles up and out of the shoes. IMG_2752.jpeg.6c58d4eb650c842d45ac51dfa9b9084f.jpeg

My feet were pretty wet from just the 9 holes I walked. The plus side, my feet didn’t hurt from doing so. This is still going to be a work in progress to see if that continues. Hopefully wearing thinner socks may help. 

I find with ANY shoe that is promoted by waterproof and breathable that there is a compromise.  90% of the time it's in moisture retention.  This also varies person to person based on their foot too. Thicker arches/mid-foot will generally allow for more air in the toe area. Where as wider or thicker feet towards the toe box will trap moisture quicker.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

19 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

The older versions of shoes ran hot; I think due to water-proofing.  But I am very sensitive to hot feet and sweating!  The Velo line is better in my testing so far.

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

Puma Spikeless versus Sqairz Velo with driver:

I said I would compare the shoes, and was really interested to test the stability claims of sqairz AND see if it translates to results.  The driver is my worst club in the bag and I tend to spray it a bit (something for me to work on).  Early in the season, the results will be a bit worse - but here is the results!

image.png.6c5d5ceeb7166951160f21d21843f946.png

Sqairz Velo shoe and driving performance - what is immediately noticed is my left of green bias and it was surprising to me.  Is it a swing flaw that I need to work on? Maybe. I think it is actually the stability of the shoe, and a little more torque causing a different shot shape for me -> in some cases a sever hook!

image.png.2035f443f863a1b80f9c91e525bd359b.png

The Puma Spikeless and driving performance - you see a more normal distribution (sorry math guy here) and that data matches my normal spray patterns. I could feel the ability to move my feet (not like Scottie) and although comfortable it does seem to cause less accuracy.

Initial results: Sqairz is more accurate to the range of 6-9%, left biased a good 10% more (and this is with me trying to correct path and stance). My first 30 hits were a whopping 80% left biased!

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

24 minutes ago, billpierce said:

The older versions of shoes ran hot; I think due to water-proofing.  But I am very sensitive to hot feet and sweating!  The Velo line is better in my testing so far.

I concur!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

5 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Puma Spikeless versus Sqairz Velo with driver:

I said I would compare the shoes, and was really interested to test the stability claims of sqairz AND see if it translates to results.  The driver is my worst club in the bag and I tend to spray it a bit (something for me to work on).  Early in the season, the results will be a bit worse - but here is the results!

image.png.6c5d5ceeb7166951160f21d21843f946.png

Sqairz Velo shoe and driving performance - what is immediately noticed is my left of green bias and it was surprising to me.  Is it a swing flaw that I need to work on? Maybe. I think it is actually the stability of the shoe, and a little more torque causing a different shot shape for me -> in some cases a sever hook!

image.png.2035f443f863a1b80f9c91e525bd359b.png

The Puma Spikeless and driving performance - you see a more normal distribution (sorry math guy here) and that data matches my normal spray patterns. I could feel the ability to move my feet (not like Scottie) and although comfortable it does seem to cause less accuracy.

Initial results: Sqairz is more accurate to the range of 6-9%, left biased a good 10% more (and this is with me trying to correct path and stance). My first 30 hits were a whopping 80% left biased!

So far, I am not seeing a left (or right) bias in my shot pattern when wearing the Squiarz VELO golf shoes (I'm now 5 rounds into my testing).  However, I had been wearing Squairz almost exclusively for about 2 to 2.5 years before getting selected for this test.  One thing that I am noticing with the VELO that was also there, but not nearly as pronounced with earlier generations of Squairz shoes, is the great stability that these shoes provide on uneven and/or slightly slippery surfaces.  Squairz shoes have always been quite good for stability, but the VELO model seems to take that stability factor to an even higher level for me!

Spoiler

1 hour ago, funkyjudge said:

So far, I am not seeing a left (or right) bias in my shot pattern when wearing the Squiarz VELO golf shoes (I'm now 5 rounds into my testing).  However, I had been wearing Squairz almost exclusively for about 2 to 2.5 years before getting selected for this test.  One thing that I am noticing with the VELO that was also there, but not nearly as pronounced with earlier generations of Squairz shoes, is the great stability that these shoes provide on uneven and/or slightly slippery surfaces.  Squairz shoes have always been quite good for stability, but the VELO model seems to take that stability factor to an even higher level for me!

I agree, I have an almost 3 year old pair and this new Velo shoe is a bit more stable feeling.  I will compare results when I can get some time.

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

1 hour ago, buckpillar said:

Do the shoes make your feet feel as though they are tilted toward the center of your stance, curious as to how it help to produce a draw.

For me, and only speaking for myself on this, when I wore my spikeless FJ’s I felt a sliding of my feet on the ground. Not much, but enough that sometimes that fade became a slice or that draw became a shape that rivaled Captain Hook’s hook. Do I feel my feet feel more planted on the ground? Yes. Do I feel it keeps me tilted in either direction? No. I think at the moment it is the fact that the down swing isn’t messed up with my feet slipping. At least that’s what I’m going with. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

4 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

For me, and only speaking for myself on this, when I wore my spikeless FJ’s I felt a sliding of my feet on the ground. Not much, but enough that sometimes that fade became a slice or that draw became a shape that rivaled Captain Hook’s hook. Do I feel my feet feel more planted on the ground? Yes. Do I feel it keeps me tilted in either direction? No. I think at the moment it is the fact that the down swing isn’t messed up with my feet slipping. At least that’s what I’m going with. 

Thank you @Wheelieb, great information, now I wondering how much my feet may be moving / sliding during the swing. May have to give these a go.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

8 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

Thank you @Wheelieb, great information, now I wondering how much my feet may be moving / sliding during the swing. May have to give these a go.

I had been using spikeless shoes before these. In the summer when it wasn’t wet I would use my Nike Roshe G shoes, and those you might as well call them sneakers. Not much to keep your feet from moving. That is a me problem though, which may be being aided in not slipping with the SQAIRZ Velo shoes with their “Smart Traction System”. Only way I am going to really know for Sure is by doing more testing. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

14 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

I agree. I just feel anchored.  No tilt and for me on back foot I like the tilt - so perhaps I get there but it makes it harder from a pure feel perspective.

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

10 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

I had been using spikeless shoes before these. In the summer when it wasn’t wet I would use my Nike Roshe G shoes, and those you might as well call them sneakers. Not much to keep your feet from moving. That is a me problem though, which may be being aided in not slipping with the SQAIRZ Velo shoes with their “Smart Traction System”. Only way I am going to really know for Sure is by doing more testing. 

I have zero sliding, and from a mental perspective that took getting used to. The velo shoes anchor me even more than my older pair of Sqairz.  I went out after a large rain and did pick up a lot of turf - which is my main gripe.  

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

Had another little practice session. Just short game, while my side muscle pull/strain recovers, but the Velo continue to impress in terms of comfort and stability. I feel more stable and 'in place' with these than my Ecco Biom and the added width makes them overall more comfortable. The Adidas are softer sole, but decent stability for spikeless shoes. The grip of the Velo feels great and the sole flexibility falls between the Ecco and Adidas, but closer to the Ecco.
Should get another practice session in tomorrow pm and hopefully walk 9 on Sunday, injury allowing. Tempted to just play the forward tees to reduce temptation to swing too hard.lol

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

Hit the practice greens and bunkers again today. I have a new 60* lob wedge to get familiar with and try out. Low bounce needed for the pretty firm bunkers and summer turf conditions on our public courses in summer. This sand and rock mix is pretty typical of bunkers on the public courses here. I really miss the soft sand bunkers in all the courses I used to play across the pond! I'm having to relearn how to play out of the greenside bunkers here. Ha ha

The Sqairz Velo continue to feel very comfortable. Just the right amount of extra forefoot width for my feet. Stability and grip levels are excellent. On flat and sloping sand and turf, I felt very firmly held in place and stable. It'll definitely help with confidence on varying terrain.

IMG_4864.jpeg.2e7459f0d908a5a39bf951f033cf70db.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg.9c7b2b29c43b2c8b1b4f906bfcecfda4.jpeg

Warm day (80f) and these felt fine for a couple of hours practice. Obviously I didn't walk the course, so a proper course use review will have to follow when I'm recovered sufficiently to play again. But the more I wear these for practice the more I'm liking the feel. Consistent and stable platform for putting is pretty useful and these definitely give me that. I'm enjoying getting used to wearing these on the greens.

My heel showed no signs of lifting when walking up gentle slopes, so that's a positive. It doesn't feel too tight either. Very comfortable.

With limited use, the Sta-Put laces do seem to remain tight and don't show sign of loosening. Longevity will be interesting to see, as I'd imagine the silicon blobs wear off... just a matter of how much use results in that.

I am really itching to get on the course...

2024 WITB:

I just got a pair of both the Speed2 in black/gray (great look and feel of suede), and the ProS2 in gray that has a really great "pebble grain" look to the upper. Based on the reviews of the Velo, I may have to get a pair of those as well! I've always been a big fan of Sqairz, not wearing any other shoe since getting my first pair (I now own several pairs) almost 4 years ago.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: PXG 0211DC 5-GW w/ MMT 60 A Flex
Wedges: Kirkland 52°/56°/60° w/ True Temper Shafts
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet / Cobra King Nova / Toulon Portland
Ball:  Callaway ERC Soft / Snell MTB Black / Sugar Pure / Vice Pro

Ok, a quick update about my 9 holes this afternoon. I did not wear the SQAIRZ Velo shoes as this is a testing phase and I’m trying to give it a fair, but just test. Instead I wore my Nike Roshe G spikeless shoes for the 9 holes. First tee I didn’t really notice much as I was to shocked that I made the best contact ever in front of people watching on the first tee. The thing is, hole 2 is a driver hole dead straight. This is where I noticed a little something. I noticed my right foot slipping in my down swing, and I watched my ball sail to the right into the trees. I found my ball and was able to scramble for a par. But this started a straight to right miss day. Whether or not this is a mental thing or not we will see. Until tomorrow morning, when I get more pics, and another update. Have a good evening all. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

On 4/28/2024 at 6:51 PM, Indy_Oz said:

Hit the practice greens and bunkers again today. I have a new 60* lob wedge to get familiar with and try out. Low bounce needed for the pretty firm bunkers and summer turf conditions on our public courses in summer. This sand and rock mix is pretty typical of bunkers on the public courses here. I really miss the soft sand bunkers in all the courses I used to play across the pond! I'm having to relearn how to play out of the greenside bunkers here. Ha ha

The Sqairz Velo continue to feel very comfortable. Just the right amount of extra forefoot width for my feet. Stability and grip levels are excellent. On flat and sloping sand and turf, I felt very firmly held in place and stable. It'll definitely help with confidence on varying terrain.

IMG_4864.jpeg.2e7459f0d908a5a39bf951f033cf70db.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg.9c7b2b29c43b2c8b1b4f906bfcecfda4.jpeg

Warm day (80f) and these felt fine for a couple of hours practice. Obviously I didn't walk the course, so a proper course use review will have to follow when I'm recovered sufficiently to play again. But the more I wear these for practice the more I'm liking the feel. Consistent and stable platform for putting is pretty useful and these definitely give me that. I'm enjoying getting used to wearing these on the greens.

My heel showed no signs of lifting when walking up gentle slopes, so that's a positive. It doesn't feel too tight either. Very comfortable.

With limited use, the Sta-Put laces do seem to remain tight and don't show sign of loosening. Longevity will be interesting to see, as I'd imagine the silicon blobs wear off... just a matter of how much use results in that.

I am really itching to get on the course...

Any staining of the suede like surface?

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

13 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Not yet. But I’m waiting for it as I wear them more! 
it’s been pouring with rain today, so I might wear them to take the dog for a walk soon to test the waterproofing. Ha ha

2024 WITB:

2 hours ago, billpierce said:

I was wearing a pair of the black suede-like Speed Bold shoes from Squairz for about a year before I was selected as a tester for the Squairz  VELO shoes. The suede-like surfaces did not stain at all, but they did get dusty and dirty when playing in dry, sandy conditions. This was easily remedied by a light brushing with a stiff-bristle brush.

Spoiler

Update (additional six rounds in the books):

I have now worn the Squairz VELO shoes for for six more rounds (three 9-holers and three 18-holers). This makes it eight total rounds that I have played while wearing the Squairz VELO shoes (five 18-hole rounds and three 9-hole rounds). In more than half of these rounds, I have walked and in the other three I rode in a cart because I was recovering from two weeks with pneumonia. After my first nine-hole walking round about 3.5 weeks ago, I put a pair of Protalus orthotic insoles in these VELO shoes because I have very high arches and I got cramps in the arches of my feet. I have not had any foot pain since then, and the shoes have been very comfortable for walking 18 holes, even on two consecutive days and 3 out of 4 consecutive days last week.

These VELO shoes continue to provide fantastic support and they are considerably lighter in weight than any other Squairz golf shoes that I have previously worn. The weight difference is fairly noticeable after walking 18 holes (16,000-plus steps).

I cannot say whether these Squairz shoes have helped me to increase my clubhead speed, and in fairness because I have been wearing Squairz shoes for more than two years before I was selected to participate in this test, I seriously doubt that I am experiencing further gains in clubhead speed. However, the stability that is provided by these shoes certainly gives me the confidence to “swing aggressively” and I have consistently been hitting the ball as far or farther than I generally hit it with all of the clubs in my bag.

I am definitely very happy with these golf shoes, and with the great stability and support that they provide!

Edited by funkyjudge
corrected number of rounds played

Spoiler

7 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

I cannot say whether these Squairz shoes have helped me to increase my clubhead speed, and in fairness because I have been wearing Squairz shoes for more than two years before I was selected to participate in this test, I seriously doubt that I am experiencing further gains in clubhead speed. However, the stability that is provided by these shoes certainly gives me the confidence to “swing aggressively” and I have consistently been hitting the ball as far or farther than I generally hit it with all of the clubs in my bag.

I don't know that I hit the ball any longer wearing Sqairz, but what I have noticed is that, with better balance and stability, the gap between my best and worst shots has gotten narrower, if that makes sense.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: PXG 0211DC 5-GW w/ MMT 60 A Flex
Wedges: Kirkland 52°/56°/60° w/ True Temper Shafts
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet / Cobra King Nova / Toulon Portland
Ball:  Callaway ERC Soft / Snell MTB Black / Sugar Pure / Vice Pro