Toe Hang: What is it?

I just read the Mallet Putter results. There was a reference to Toe Hang for one of the putters. I've heard about it for years, but I don't exactly know what it is. Could someone please explain it to me?

Thank you in advance.

Cobra Woods

Nicklaus & Nike Hybrids

Nicklaus Irons

Never Compromise Putter

With a face balanced putter,
which straight back and forth putters like myself use,
if you lay the putter shaft on a chair, the putter blade would stay horizontal.

With a complete toe hang putter, the blade would orient itself vertically.

Most modern putters have toe hang somewhere in the middle in which case the blade would rest at a diagonal angle.

57 minutes ago, KeithHan79 said:

I just read the Mallet Putter results. There was a reference to Toe Hang for one of the putters. I've heard about it for years, but I don't exactly know what it is. Could someone please explain it to me?

Thank you in advance.

I forgot to use quote twice.  Answer is just above.

2 hours ago, KeithHan79 said:

Thank you in advance.

Toe hang is related to the putters CoG and where the shaft intersects the head.   This relationship causes the toe of the putter to drop as shown in the image below.   You will also find putters that are torque balanced and heel hang.   

Many people will say specific models are for specific stroke types like face balanced are for straight back straight through which is another myth related to putting.  

Putter_Toe_Hang_measurements_1200x700.jp

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Toe hang is related to the putters CoG and where the shaft intersects the head.   This relationship causes the toe of the putter to drop as shown in the image below.   You will also find putters that are torque balanced and heel hang.   

Many people will say specific models are for specific stroke types like face balanced are for straight back straight through which is another myth related to putting.  

Putter_Toe_Hang_measurements_1200x700.jp

I never realized that toe hang amount corresponding to putting style was a myth.

I have no strong feelings myself as to whether it is or isn't, but I've only heard that it was true

and would be interested in seeing evidence (or even just hear reasoned opinion) that it isn't.

I have a definite preference for face balance and have since the Ram Zebra in the late seventies, but I honestly don't know if it has any relevance to my putting style or if I just prefer the feel.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

I played for years with face balance putters.  I was shocked when I had a putter fitting and the fitter recommended 30 to 40 degrees toe hang.  He fit me into a new putter and my putting improved, especially my start lines.  I have more of a straight back and through stroke-the shaft stays on plane, the face stays on that plane but open and closes relative to the start line.  With face balance, I had to manipulate the putter (not consciously) to square the face to the start line.  With the toe hand putter it just happens, no manipulation necessary.  

36 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I never realized that toe hang amount corresponding to putting style was a myth.

I have no strong feelings myself as to whether it is or isn't, but I've only heard that it was true

and would be interested in seeing evidence (or even just hear reasoned opinion) that it isn't.

I have a definite preference for face balance and have since the Ram Zebra in the late seventies, but I honestly don't know if it has any relevance to my putting style or if I just prefer the feel.

You will find answers both ways, but you control the putter and how it moves through the stroke.   You basically respond to what you feel and you like how that feels.  here is a video and description from one putting instructor.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6ORJ9KOipi/

you could also question what does SBST or arc mean?   is it the hands, the putter, the plane? Put a putter on an incline plane that people use to practice putting.  Your hands will move straight back and through but the putter will move up and inside the target line (arc).  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

We should not omit our dear friends at LAB Putters and Positive Putters who DO NOT HAVE TOE HANG ON THEIR PUTTERS and believe that such a thing will cause one to learn subconscious adjustments to their stroke to accommodate the toe hang.

Actually, Positive Putters designed their original putters back in the 1970's and the original designer's son is doing custom single orders for putters now.  

Our friends at LAB feel that their putters literally stay stroke balanced without any hand-manipulation.

LAB Broom.jpeg

Positive TLB C.jpeg

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

You will find answers both ways, but you control the putter and how it moves through the stroke.   You basically respond to what you feel and you like how that feels.  here is a video and description from one putting instructor.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6ORJ9KOipi/

you could also question what does SBST or arc mean?   is it the hands, the putter, the plane? Put a putter on an incline plane that people use to practice putting.  Your hands will move straight back and through but the putter will move up and inside the target line (arc).  

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

We should not omit our dear friends at LAB Putters and Positive Putters who DO NOT HAVE TOE HANG ON THEIR PUTTERS and believe that such a thing will cause one to learn subconscious adjustments to their stroke to accommodate the toe hang.

I mentioned them;  they are torque balanced.  Edel, Evnroll, Axis 1, and Odyssey are other OEMs that have used this design.   It is created by weight distribution and having the shaft intersect the CoG.    

I personally like torque;  I like to feel the face and where it is pointing and torque helps do that.   What I have heard is that torque balanced putters are better for players that are more path centric.    

Perhaps a bit of salesmanship/corporate bias at play, but this video started me on the path that eventually ended in my purchasing an Axis1 Umbra (used) about 6 months after first viewing it. I couldn't justify dropping the coin for their modern designs, but I really like the balance of my Umbra, and I think it's improved my direction control. Also makes a nice nervous energy dissipator, what with the ability to twirl it with the shaft resting on my palm (golf version of a fidget spinner  😁 )