Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

DeChambeau doesn't hit his 8 iron 200 yards

Just now, RetiredBoomer said:

I agree.  To me it's a cosmetic issue.  I care about the aesthetics of things for some reason.

You could always have someone weld the numbers and put t your desired designation on the clubs.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I agree.  To me it's a cosmetic issue.  I care about the aesthetics of things for some reason.

You can get some sets with traditional lofts, I think Ping in particular gives the option for how you can loft them... or maybe it was cobra.  Either way the option is there.

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Stack Referral code

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

I guess I really do not understand why numbers on clubs matter SO much. If you know what distance the club you hit goes, isn't that what it really boils down to? It's easier for me to say "I'm going to hit my 8 iron here" instead of "I'm going to hit my 8 iron, but it's a game improvement iron so the loft is a little stronger, so it's actually more like a 7 iron if I were playing a player's iron." If someone I am playing with asks me what club I am using for a shot, I'll say which club it is and what distance I usually hit it. 

I think we all play the game to enjoy it and not over analyze what lofted club is stamped what. Just my two cents. 

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X 

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Cobra Darkspeed X Driver Unofficial Review (link here)

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

I think we all play the game to enjoy it and not over analyze what lofted club is stamped what. Just my two cents. 

Exactly,
but to some, just a few, perhaps,
playing the game is one interest
and discussing ancillary issues about the game
is almost another interest entirely.

in flux

3 minutes ago, skraeling said:

You can get some sets with traditional lofts, I think Ping in particular gives the option for how you can loft them... or maybe it was cobra.  Either way the option is there.

Traditional to what era. The term traditional doesn’t mean anything. Is traditional the 1950/ iron lofts, or maybe the 30s, or possible from when golf started. Or is it the 70s or 80s. At this point lofts from the 90s could be traditional for some people.

Lofts have been increasing since the 1960s it’s not some new phenomenon that started in the 2000s.

Ping offers retro lofts. Their retro pw loft is 47° that pick fall between 50° loft of the 80s and the 48° of the 90s-2000s. So is traditional a 52° pw from the 60s, 50° from the 80s or 48° from the 90s which in many current cbs and MBs 46-48 is typical for pw.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Traditional to what era.

hell if I know dude was just throwing it out there. I wasnt being super specific my guy.

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Stack Referral code

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

17 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

Excellent idea!  I haven't spent enough already.🤣

You chose to spend the money not me, just giving you a way to get the numbers you want on the bottom of the clubs.   

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

I guess I really do not understand why numbers on clubs matter SO much. If you know what distance the club you hit goes, isn't that what it really boils down to? It's easier for me to say "I'm going to hit my 8 iron here" instead of "I'm going to hit my 8 iron, but it's a game improvement iron so the loft is a little stronger, so it's actually more like a 7 iron if I were playing a player's iron." If someone I am playing with asks me what club I am using for a shot, I'll say which club it is and what distance I usually hit it. 

Because some people’s egos get hurt when their playing partners claim they hit their 8i further than they do. So the jacked loft to them is what caused it.

Or some just hate that there are sets with lower lofts than previous generations of irons and they don’t like change, the race for distance or whatever. They also tend to not understand the designs being used in those irons and that it’s more than just loft that determines distance

One member here with a low handicap had a fitting and they were hitting all 3 Mizuno irons in different categories that have different lofts the same distance. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Just now, cnosil said:

You chose to spend the money not me, just giving you a way to get the numbers you want on the bottom of the clubs.   

There was a place in Arizona, I think--The Iron Factory--that did stuff like that.

I don't know if they're still around.

Easy enough to Google, I suppose.

They could do almost anything with an old set, but the price was at least as much as buying a brand new set.  I'm sure that to some, it was worth it.

in flux

3 minutes ago, skraeling said:

hell if I know dude was just throwing it out there. I wasnt being super specific my guy.

Exactly. Everyone throws the term traditional out there as if it means something specific and to defend their stance about jacked lofts.

It’s why cnosil pointed out in another reply that lofts have been getting jacked since the 60s so is the complaint something new or has it been there since the 60s.

For most it’s just a recent complaint because many started playing golf with either lofts from the 80s and 90a, so they are either unfamiliar with lofts before that or just have a recency bias

On 6/17/2024 at 7:49 AM, Michael Rapp said:

I don't understand something; aren't clubs supposed to have certain lofts at certain iron numbers? Otherwise, it seems to me anyone could have any amount of loft they want on any Club. If that's true, then what's the point of iron numbers, just put the loft on the bottom of the club. 

TaylorMade RBZ irons

TaylorMade R11 woods

TaylorMade Corza Ghost putter 

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Because some people’s egos get hurt when their playing partners claim they hit their 8i further than they do. So the jacked loft to them is what caused it.

Or some just hate that there are sets with lower lofts than previous generations of irons and they don’t like change, the race for distance or whatever. They also tend to not understand the designs being used in those irons and that it’s more than just loft that determines distance

One member here with a low handicap had a fitting and they were hitting all 3 Mizuno irons in different categories that have different lofts the same distance. 

Also, some people simply have their own unique view of aesthetics.
I buy what's available, same as everybody else.

It hurts nothing to muse about what one wishes were available.
I wouldn't think it an issue to get upset about. 

in flux

Just now, RetiredBoomer said:

There was a place in Arizona, I think--The Iron Factory--that did stuff like that.

I don't know if they're still around.

Easy enough to Google, I suppose.

They could do almost anything with an old set, but the price was at least as much as buying a brand new set.  I'm sure that to some, it was worth it.

There are lots of places that can do welding and carve new numbers into a new set.  

based on how passionate you are about the loft/number relationship then it sounds like it would be worth it.   

most people question you because they want to understand why you think the loft and iron number is so meaningful.   I think I have finally figured it out and maybe as the people questioning you get older they will figure it out too.   

I played a round with a set of irons that had the loft on the bottom instead of iron numbers and I stayed confused all day. 

TaylorMade RBZ irons

TaylorMade R11 woods

TaylorMade Corza Ghost putter 

Just now, Relsr said:

I played a round with a set of irons that had the loft on the bottom instead of iron numbers and I stayed confused all day. 

Hogan did that when they first returned as a DTC company.

I wasn't the least bit confused and I really liked the idea.
I was very much in the minority, however.

Let's see how the 3D printing technology emerges.

Maybe some day, people will be able to individually specify the lofts that they want.
Probably not, but we'll see.

in flux

4 minutes ago, Relsr said:

If it was my first day with a set like that I would debate for a little but by 3-4 holes I would have an idea of what loft goes what distance.

But I also have an idea what my lofts are and definitely know ho far they go. I base my wedge gapping of my 9i so I know lofts from 9i down and then know my gaps up so I can guess pretty quick what a 50° club is going to do and adjust from there 

4 minutes ago, Relsr said:

what knowledge did you have about distance for each club?   Switching between brands and club categories today you would probably still give you that same confusion since you wouldn’t know how far the club labeled 8 will go until you have some experience with the club.  

At what point do we truly stop caring what the loft as Bryson has his curved irons and just maybe the bulge effects the loft however slights in different parts of the head. Again it is a number, as long as gapping and the clubs fit the golfer, then their 8 iron is their 8 iron. Doesn't matter what anyone else is playing. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Just now, GolfSpy_APH said:

At what point do we truly stop caring what the loft as Bryson has his curved irons and just maybe the bulge effects the loft however slights in different parts of the head. Again it is a number, as long as gapping and the clubs fit the golfer, then their 8 iron is their 8 iron. Doesn't matter what anyone else is playing. 

Good question. I guess as long as people have some qualm about what the manufacturers today do this will be a subject that comes up every few months.

Ive seen debates around the internet complaining about lofts on fairway woods and the back in my day woods were blah blah blah 

Maybe some day, people will be able to individually specify the lofts that they want.
Probably not, but we'll see.

Not something I would ever want.  The only reason I would want to know the loft is so that I could get the loft verified over time to make sure it hasn’t changed.  The only lofts I think I  know are my 2 wedges because it is printed on the bottom, but that might not be what they actually are.  

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Good question. I guess as long as people have some qualm about what the manufacturers today do this will be a subject that comes up every few months.

Ive seen debates around the internet complaining about lofts on fairway woods and the back in my day woods were blah blah blah 

I don't think this debate or issue or sticking point will ever end. Unfortunately. I would like to see curved faces put a new wrinkle in the debate for ppl tho. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Those who say Bryson is loft jacking don’t really understand what he is trying to achieve. If it was just loft jacking, he wouldn’t hit his 5W 315 yards and his driver 350. As an FYI, at long driving, he hits over 400 yards

The problem with high swing speeds is height. The harder you hit, the higher the ball goes, the more the ball is influenced by wind. So when you hit an 9 iron 200, it’s going so high it becomes uncontrollable. He has openly said his loft is about controlling the height so he hit the green more often. If you think the club is coming in at low angles, keep in mind, he’s still holding the green with a 9 iron where players can’t hold their 7 irons so if it was as simple as loft jacking, he would have had a problem.

Secondly, the whole idea of loft jacking is laughable and shows how few people understand modern club dynamics. I play with T150’s. I tried T350’s and I can tell you I hit them a lot higher than the T150 despite having a lower loft. Simply put, the dynamic loft is higher so the actual launch angle is different to a club from yesterday. As an example, the T400 7 iron being the same loft as an old 2 iron is a good example. I can guarantee the T400 hits it twice as high. The reality with modern iron design, is the use of tungsten has changed the way the face reacts when you hit a ball. Having tungsten low causes the face to hinge slight which changes the loft on impact. That’s one of the reasons the clubs have lower lofts. Yes, they do go further, but a lot of that has to do with the improvement in smash factor. 

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR Stiff  
TSR2 15° HZRDUS Black Stiff
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black Stiff
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Taylormade TP5

Just now, GolfSpy_APH said:

I don't think this debate or issue or sticking point will ever end. Unfortunately. I would like to see curved faces put a new wrinkle in the debate for ppl tho. 

It’s an interesting design. Clubs and balls today are already designed to go straighter. What he’s done with the bulge makes it even easier. It appears to not have affected his control.

If he ever finds a driver setup that can handle his swing he might be unstoppable. He was messing with drivers in the range trying to avoid going right which is what his miss was all day except for a few pulls. 

Jacked loft and bulged face has to be cheating right 😂

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Not something I would ever want.  The only reason I would want to know the loft is so that I could get the loft verified over time to make sure it hasn’t changed.  The only lofts I think I  know are my 2 wedges because it is printed on the bottom, but that might not be what they actually are.  

There you go.
I know the lofts of all of my clubs from the 13.5º driver to the 3º putter.
We're all different, and that's fine.

in flux

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

It is simply men and their egos which will never go away.   We could point to shaft flexes and could have the same debate, but it isn’t as easy to argue.   People say I need a stiff or x-stiff shaft and OEMs just label the shaft that way and people are happy because they don’t see or understand profiles and that OEMs just make up flex designations.   With irons people want to hit the 8 iron 200 yards and when they do people point to the published specs and say it really isn’t and 8 iron.  

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not to me.  I don't even know who the gentleman is.
I haven't followed pro golf for some time.
I just enjoy socializing with my friends in the fresh air.

As for the interest in clubs, that's almost a separate interest from playing.
A lot of people won't understand that, but why should they if they don't care?

in flux

There you go.
I know the lofts of all of my clubs from the 13.5º driver to the 3º putter.
We're all different, and that's fine.

But what does knowing the loft do to improve your performance?   I associate the random number/label on the bottom of my club with a distance range.  Why do you need to want to know the loft?  How does it make you a better golfer?   

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s an interesting design. Clubs and balls today are already designed to go straighter. What he’s done with the bulge makes it even easier. It appears to not have affected his control.

If he ever finds a driver setup that can handle his swing he might be unstoppable. He was messing with drivers in the range trying to avoid going right which is what his miss was all day except for a few pulls. 

I chatted to one of the pros and he said having a miss isn’t a problem. It’s having two misses that’s an issue. Bryson typically draws and having a miss of an overdraw for him isn’t an issue  because in theory, he can aim at the right side of the semi rough, a slight draw is fairway and a heavy draw is left fairway. The problem occurs when you start pushing the ball as well because aiming right semi rough and pushing a ball puts it in a bad place. They normally try to remove the push because it’s the unpredictable one. 

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR Stiff  
TSR2 15° HZRDUS Black Stiff
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black Stiff
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Taylormade TP5

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It is simply men and their egos which will never go away.   We could point to shaft flexes and could have the same debate, but it isn’t as easy to argue.   People say I need a stiff or x-stiff shaft and OEMs just label the shaft that way and people are happy because they don’t see or understand profiles and that OEMs just make up flex designations.   With irons people want to hit the 8 iron 200 yards and when they do people point to the published specs and say it really isn’t and 8 iron.  

Exactly. And when you hear long drive guys say they are using lightweight ladies flex is just makes those guys sound silly to put it nicely