Is there really an anti-left driver set up?

aguybadatgolf

I’ve been taking lessons and practicing a lot this year. My game is in a fantastic place right now other than driver. Last year I had been hitting a pretty solid draw but could also over draw and hook it at times with an occasional push fade if it was a bad swing. In order to eliminate this 2 way miss and correct a very in-to-out path we’ve worked on neutralizing my club path and it’s been very effective. I now hit fades only never a draw or anything that goes left. But I’ve started having an issue closing the club face and will hit a big push from time to time. In my last coaching session they noted I wasn’t closing the club face fully and wasn’t turning it over enough. The issue is when I try to do that I hook it like crazy so I think subconsciously I’ve been holding it off a bit. 

Is there such a thing as an anti left set up? I want to be able to flip my hands without introducing the chance of a massive hook. I’ve heard a heavy shaft or larger grip can help with that. Curious if anyone has any experience here? 

Edited by aguybadatgolf

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

25 minutes ago, aguybadatgolf said:

Is there such a thing as an anti left set up? 

In my opinion no.   We all have dispersion patterns and over time balls will finish left of our target and right of our target.  That pattern is 70+ yards wide.  Even the best players in the world have this result.  

working on you swing and working to narrow the dispersion pattern and choosing good targets is about all you can do.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not really "anti" but yes there are drivers and fw's that can help one's primary swing issue/tendencies.  Most seem to target fade/slice from an OTT swing as that represents a whole lot of players and is a cash cow for the OEM's.  It can help but not to a great extent. Ultimately working on your swing is the best approach. 

I have largely eliminated the right right of the course and now occasionally pull drives left.  A stronger grip, flatter more sweeping take-away, slower tempo, and aiming out to the right has helped me... but it requires a constant vigil... particularly with the big stick. I play my G410P with the weight in draw position.  I've never tried it in the fade position as I used to have no issues creating that ball flight 😆.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

9 hours ago, aguybadatgolf said:

Is there such a thing as an anti left set up? I want to be able to flip my hands without introducing the chance of a massive hook.

Shots will go left and right for various reasons as @cnosil states.  Since you have worked to move away from a solid draw because you were over-cooking the draw, I’m curious why you "want to be able to flip your hands.”  Anyone who flips their hands will have trouble consistently producing the correct amount of face closure and risk shots going left and right.  

It sounds like you are on a good path with the fade shot, and you need to work on controlling the push.  Your coach should be able to determine the cause.  I would look at a grip or setup change and continue with the release you are using to fade the ball.  Just my 2 cents.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

why you "want to be able to flip your hands.”  Anyone who flips their hands will have trouble consistently producing the correct amount of face closure and risk shots going left and right.

I may have been misunderstanding my coach but my takeaway was I wasn’t releasing my hands at impact causing the push to sneak in. I took that as I need to flip my hands, sounds like not lol. Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by aguybadatgolf

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

9 hours ago, aguybadatgolf said:

I may have been misunderstanding my coach but my takeaway was I wasn’t releasing my hands at impact causing the push to sneak in. I took that as I need to flip my hands, sounds like not lol. Thanks for the feedback!

Flipping the hands is what’s causing the left shots. If you’re not closing the face there is a reason somewhere in the swing causing that. More than likely you are running out of room in the downswing and shaft is getting steep and you have to slow down to let the arms and hands catchup and the face is open.

what happens at and just before impact is a result for something earlier in the swing and is a symptom not a fault. Address the fault

On 6/21/2024 at 9:39 AM, cnosil said:

In my opinion no.   We all have dispersion patterns and over time balls will finish left of our target and right of our target.  That pattern is 70+ yards wide.  Even the best players in the world have this result.  

working on you swing and working to narrow the dispersion pattern and choosing good targets is about all you can do.  

Yes, it'll be time to visit your teaching pro.  It is funny that so many are just looking for a solution for their golf game on only half the formula.

The golfer, the one who swing s the golf club is the larger part of the influence of producing the end result.

24 minutes ago, release said:

Yes, it'll be time to visit your teaching pro.  It is funny that so many are just looking for a solution for their golf game on only half the formula.

The golfer, the one who swing s the golf club is the larger part of the influence of producing the end result.

Most people just want to go out and fun and not practice for whatever reason whether it’s not wanting to be away from family more than their weekend round, not enough time to practice in their schedule or just don’t want to because they are happy being on the course with their friends or family.