Exputt RG - 2024 Forum Review

35 minutes ago, Brew said:

My putting has progressively gotten worse the last 5 years or so and this week had a chance to put on a trackman at a PXG store. I don't have the exact numbers, but from what the salesman showed me, I was aiming way left, had a slice stroke of like 10* out to in, (again, a guess from looking at the swing path picture) with a wide open face. 

SO, my question is, while I would love to buy a trackman to get that data and visual feedback, it isn't going to happen.  So I am wondering if one of these would be able to tell me my exact path, face angle, etc. to help me work through this? I am basically looking for something that can kinda replicate the trackman data, without spending $25k. I was planning on buying a new putter this winter,(LAB Probably) but even the PXG guy said I need to fix my stroke before thinking about a new putter. Or if anyone has ideas on other putter trainers that could help, I am all ears, 

I have similar questions. I'm thinking this may be the best way for me to groove a better putter stroke during the winter months. I'm curious how accurate and useful people have found the club path and face angle data. Or do people mainly use it for developing distance feel. 

Rick

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke TD 10.5 Denali Black 60 Stiff
3 Wood:  Cobra Aerojet 15 Kai'li Blue 60 Stiff
3 Hybrid:  Cobra Aerojet 19 KBS PGI 85 Stiff
5 Hybrid - Mizuno 220 ST-X 220 Aldila Ascent 50 Stiff
6 Hybrid - Mizuno 220 ST-X 220 Tensei CK Blue 70 Stiff
Irons 5-Gap:  Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, Recoil SW 780 Stiff
Wedges:  Cleveland RTX3 V-MG Cavity Back 50 turned to 52 and 56/11
Putter:  Odyssey 2 Ball

1 hour ago, Brew said:

So I am wondering if one of these would be able to tell me my exact path, face angle, etc. to help me work through this? 

1 hour ago, RickM71 said:

I have similar questions. I'm thinking this may be the best way for me to groove a better putter stroke during the winter months. I'm curious how accurate and useful people have found the club path and face angle data. Or do people mainly use it for developing distance feel. 

I have the original ExPutt model and my primary use is for face angle control and distance control.   These are both skills that a player needs to develop and the ExPutt is a great tool to provide feedback.  I have found the provided data to be accurate and represents what I have seen when I have had my stroke measured on Puttlab.   

A lot of people focus on path but I probably wouldn't unless your path is 5* or more.  Depending on source, the path only impacts about 10% of the balls direction.  You cannot put cut or draw spin on a putt;  any your apply is pretty much immediately eliminated when the ball hits the putting surface and starts it roll.  

I would say a potential negative people will identify with the exputt is that you cannot using training aids on the surface; so if you want to set up gates, stroke trainers, barriers, etc you need to do that using other methods.  I will say again the ExPutt provides accurate data so you don't  need the other aids to get constructive feedback.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@Brew @RickM71

I second the feedback that @cnosil provided above. The Exputt has you put dot stickers on both ends of the putter face so the camera and software can track and report path and the club face angle at impact. This feedback has helped me correct a tendency I have to open the putter club face sometimes during my putting. The analytics option during practice sessions also records and tracks progress or variation of these metrics across multiple analytics sessions. You are able to see charts that show how your club path has evolved over time. 

Edited by Wolfstrum

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

31 minutes ago, Wolfstrum said:

@Brew @RickM71

I second the feedback that @cnosil provided above. The Exputt has you put dot stickers on both ends of the putter face so the camera and software can track and report path and the club face angle at impact. This feedback has helped me correct a tendency I have to open the putter club face sometimes during my putting. The analytics option during practice sessions also records and tracks progress or variation of these metrics across multiple analytics sessions. You are able to see charts that show how your club path has evolved over time. 

Being able to record and track progress sounds super helpful and motivating. It seems like they've done a good job with the software. Now I'm just deciding if I will wait to see if there will be any Black Friday deals.

Rick

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I have the original ExPutt model and my primary use is for face angle control and distance control.   These are both skills that a player needs to develop and the ExPutt is a great tool to provide feedback.  I have found the provided data to be accurate and represents what I have seen when I have had my stroke measured on Puttlab.   

A lot of people focus on path but I probably wouldn't unless your path is 5* or more.  Depending on source, the path only impacts about 10% of the balls direction.  You cannot put cut or draw spin on a putt;  any your apply is pretty much immediately eliminated when the ball hits the putting surface and starts it roll.  

I would say a potential negative people will identify with the exputt is that you cannot using training aids on the surface; so if you want to set up gates, stroke trainers, barriers, etc you need to do that using other methods.  I will say again the ExPutt provides accurate data so you don't  need the other aids to get constructive feedback.

Thank you, I will probably pick one up to use this winter,  

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I found that cutting across the ball at impact does produce a slight off center spin(more with a milled face) but with a slight open face producing a counter spin will roll the pretty straight. 

Think of it this way, watch the roll of a pro bowlers ball spin, it starts with an off center spin and finishes end over end in the pocket.

I've been experimenting with clear guiderails that I took from a putting trainer and so far not much data to report. This may be a good add on accessory for the ExPutt down the road.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

55 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

I found that cutting across the ball at impact does produce a slight off center spin(more with a milled face) but with a slight open face producing a counter spin will roll the pretty straight. 

Think of it this way, watch the roll of a pro bowlers ball spin, it starts with an off center spin and finishes end over end in the pocket.

I've been experimenting with clear guiderails that I took from a putting trainer and so far not much data to report. This may be a good add on accessory for the ExPutt down the road.

I would say that you have a face problem at impact if you are missing the line.  This is a common concept that I have seen supported by every putting instructor.   The friction on a green is completely different than a bowling alley.   A golf ball has a skid phase as the start of the putt before entering the roll phase and during that skid phase the side spin is quickly eliminated.   If you have a severe out to in or in to out stroke you might put some draw or cut spin on the ball but it doesn't move the ball off the line.    

https://www.instagram.com/reel/DAlzqmoSmDW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

I would say that you have a face problem at impact if you are missing the line.  This is a common concept that I have seen supported by every putting instructor.   The friction on a green is completely different than a bowling alley.   A golf ball has a skid phase as the start of the putt before entering the roll phase and during that skid phase the side spin is quickly eliminated.   If you have a severe out to in or in to out stroke you might put some draw or cut spin on the ball but it doesn't move the ball off the line.    

https://www.instagram.com/reel/DAlzqmoSmDW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

The bowling ball was just an example to visualize.. the skid of the golf ball is usually over before it hits the 1 ft mark after impact, I'm not missing the line at all, what I was trying to get at is if you cut across the ball with a milled face it will tend to create side spin, and with an open face angle it counter acts that spin and has the golf ball rolling end over end.

Every instructor have their individual concepts and theories, we try to have our students find the best stroke for their style and enhance the players ability to deliver the best possible stroke.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

11 hours ago, buckpillar said:

The bowling ball was just an example to visualize.. the skid of the golf ball is usually over before it hits the 1 ft mark after impact, I'm not missing the line at all, what I was trying to get at is if you cut across the ball with a milled face it will tend to create side spin, and with an open face angle it counter acts that spin and has the golf ball rolling end over end.

Every instructor have their individual concepts and theories, we try to have our students find the best stroke for their style and enhance the players ability to deliver the best possible stroke.

Yes, there will be some sidespin if you cut across the ball with and face.  I have seen reports that list the sidespin number at about 50 RPM and spin is immediately gone when the ball hits the green based on basic physics.  You can’t curve a putt by imparting spin.   And yes a left biased stroke would generally be better having a slightly open face at impact to counter the path since about 5-10% of balls direction is influenced by path.   

if your intention as an instructor is to get the player to roll the ball end over end then yes you need to control both path and face angle.  The path deviation could cause the slight twist that causes the “wobble” f the line on the ball.   

Edited by cnosil

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yes, there will be some sidespin if you cut across the ball with and face.  I have seen reports that list the sidespin number at about 50 RPM and spin is immediately gone when the ball hits the green based on basic physics.  You can’t curve a putt by imparting spin.   And yes a left biased stroke would generally be better having a slightly open face at impact to counter the path since about 5-10% of balls direction is influenced by path.   

if your intention as an instructor is to get the player to roll the ball end over end then yes you need to control both path and face angle.  The path deviation could cause the slight twist that causes the “wobble” f the line on the ball.   

I was rolling a lot of putts last night using my gc3. For some reason my Odyssey putter face does not register club data, even with one of the club stickers. I was using a different putter I plan to switch to for a while that was registering club data. I was surprised my stroke was consistently out to in, around 5 degrees, with a downward angle of attack anywhere from 1-3 degrees. Horizontal launch varied plus or minus 1 degree. 

In order to get close to straight club path, it felt very in to out to me, but I think I've been overdoing what feels like straight back and straight through. I also had to make an effort to get a slightly upward angle of attack, even playing the ball just inside my left foot. 

The gc3 will give me ball speed, but putting does not show any side spin, and most have no vertical launch angle detected. I'm assuming the straighter path and slightly upward angle of attack would all promote a better roll for the putt when hitting on actual greens, giving more consistent distance control. 

While I assume the gc3 is giving me accurate data, I'm reluctant to make too significant of a stroke change based on the club path and angle of attack. Either way, rolling a bunch of balls will hopefully have helped with face angle practice and improving feel on speed control. I'm hoping to have some time this weekend on the practice green outside to try to see if any swing changes will noticeably change the ball roll to my relatively untrained eye. 

I think the exputt does give club path data. Does it also give angle of attack? I'll be curious to see how consistent the two are with each other, as they both should be pretty accurate. 

Rick

29 minutes ago, RickM71 said:

I was surprised my stroke was consistently out to in, around 5 degrees, with a downward angle of attack anywhere from 1-3 degrees. Horizontal launch varied plus or minus 1 degree. 

In order to get close to straight club path, it felt very in to out to me, but I think I've been overdoing what feels like straight back and straight through. I also had to make an effort to get a slightly upward angle of attack, even playing the ball just inside my left foot. 

I'm assuming the straighter path and slightly upward angle of attack would all promote a better roll for the putt when hitting on actual greens, giving more consistent distance control. 

rolling a bunch of balls will hopefully have helped with face angle practice and improving feel on speed control. 

I think the exputt does give club path data. Does it also give angle of attack? 

Based on what I have been taught:

• 5* is probably borderline on too much path.  Out to in could be related to the fact that you are trying to move the putter head straight or a putter that is too light.
  • When talking about SBSTare you talking about the putter head?   Putter head moves on a plane and can’t move SBST.  Based on bias it could appear to move SBST on the back or through swing.   Hands on the other hand can and probably should move SBST.
  • I would say consistent path, face angle, and AoA promote good distance control.   Ideally the ball should be in front of the low point which means the putter is rising at impact.   Ball position forward doesn’t mean you are moving low point forward..
  • Not sure what you mean by “better” ball roll.  All putts have a skid phase, a roll phase, and a decel phase.  The skid phase is about 15-20% of total distance and then the ball begins true roll.  Maybe an ideal stoke/putter combo could reduce that by an inch or two but it really isn’t anything significant.
  • rolling putts only helps improve if you are understanding the feedback and understand how you need to move your body to get the good results based on the feedback.
  • the original version of the exputt does not give AoA.  

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Based on what I have been taught:

• 5* is probably borderline on too much path.  Out to in could be related to the fact that you are trying to move the putter head straight or a putter that is too light.
  • When talking about SBSTare you talking about the putter head?   Putter head moves on a plane and can’t move SBST.  Based on bias it could appear to move SBST on the back or through swing.   Hands on the other hand can and probably should move SBST.
  • I would say consistent path, face angle, and AoA promote good distance control.   Ideally the ball should be in front of the low point which means the putter is rising at impact.   Ball position forward doesn’t mean you are moving low point forward..
  • Not sure what you mean by “better” ball roll.  All putts have a skid phase, a roll phase, and a decel phase.  The skid phase is about 15-20% of total distance and then the ball begins true roll.  Maybe an ideal stoke/putter combo could reduce that by an inch or two but it really isn’t anything significant.
  • rolling putts only helps improve if you are understanding the feedback and understand how you need to move your body to get the good results based on the feedback.
  • the original version of the exputt does not give AoA.  

Sbst I'm referring to the feel of the club head staying in the target line as long as possible. I know that isn't a reality due to lie angle and that the club has to arc. It would be helpful if I had a way to feel what the proper putter plane is - both in to out, and down to up. Is there a good training aid for that? 

By "better" roll I mostly mean consistent as far as skid and getting end over end. I fully admit I don't know the science of ball roll. I think some of my thoughts come from hearing about ideal vertical launch and minimizing skid distance which seem to be factors looked at during putter fittings. It wouldn't take much to convince me that ball statistics are essentially insignificant when compared to horizontal launch angle and ball speed. 

Your point about rolling putts only helping if you know how to change body movements to get good results based on that feedback - any advice? I assume exputt doesn't include teaching modules based on swing and ball data, but that would seem ideal.

I also think the ball speed / distance from the launch monitor is helpful feedback for me.  Hopefully it will translate to some extent to better distance control on the course. 

Rick

44 minutes ago, RickM71 said:

. It would be helpful if I had a way to feel what the proper putter plane is - both in to out, and down to up. Is there a good training aid for that? 

Your point about rolling putts only helping if you know how to change body movements to get good results based on that feedback - any advice? I assume exputt doesn't include teaching modules based on swing and ball data, but that would seem ideal.

There are numerous training aids that are designed to help feel path.   I personally would just setup with something that is parallel to the target line in front of your hands and just move your hands along that device.   The putter plane will vary based on how far you are setup from the ball.   

Exputt doesn’t teach it just provides you with knowledge of results. ; it doesn’t know how you are moving your body; that is something you need to be aware of.  I’d start following some putting instructors and see what they say.  I like Bruce Rearick, David Orr, Phil Kenyon, Geoff Mangum.  Kenyon is doing a free 5 day online putting course starting next week. 

https://www.philkenyonputting.com/challenge/

There is a thread in the lessons forum; figure we can share info/thoughts each day.  

Edited by cnosil