Driving iron reco

Jay0101

Looking for some guidance on driving irons 

I am new golfer and can’t get enough. Recently got fitted with Titleist TSR2 driver, 3 wood (15 degrees) and 7 wood ( 18 degrees). Problem is I absolutely stink with my 3 wood.

I can carry a driver 220-230 yards and my 5 iron 180 yards. When I hit my 7 wood well, it carries 210 yards but it’s very rare. I am trying to find a club that I can carry 210-220 yards for the second shot on a par 5 or maybe a long par 3 and was looking into utility drivers/ driving irons. 

Thoughts? Utility irons or hybrid? 

irons are srixon zx5 MkII ( 5-pw)

6 hours ago, Jay0101 said:

I am new golfer and can’t get enough. Recently got fitted with Titleist TSR2 driver, 3 wood (15 degrees) and 7 wood ( 18 degrees). Problem is I absolutely stink with my 3 wood.

I can carry a driver 220-230 yards and my 5 iron 180 yards. When I hit my 7 wood well, it carries 210 yards but it’s very rare. I am trying to find a club that I can carry 210-220 yards for the second shot on a par 5 or maybe a long par 3 and was looking into utility drivers/ driving irons. 

That’s a tough one because need to consider a few things.

A 2 Hybrid is 17 degrees (well mine is). It’s shorter than my woods (I have 3, 5, 7, and 9 woods - in rotation), so it is easier to strike the ball, but to be honest, not a lot of difference, because it’s still like a long iron.

You need a decently fast swing speed due to the low loft, I don’t play my 3 iron anymore because I don’t have the swing speed I had when I was in my 20’s. But if you strike your long irons well then give it a shot.

I find the majority of par 5s I’m not trying to get there in 2 anymore, mainly because of course design. So I find I’m using it off the tees where a driver is not the right call. 

And imho with a low lofted club total yardage is just as important as carry because it rolls so far. 

If you want to try a 2 hybrid try eBay for a cheap Adams golf 2 hybrid, they are cheap, and really good clubs so worth a try. Mine is an Adams Golf 2 hybrid, and I still use it. 

If you are still reading, I’m kinda guessing you’ve already tried to grip down (to the bottom of the grips) on the woods. - I still do that on tight fairways where I need the control over max club distance. 

WITB

Cobra F9 driver

Adams golf 2 hybrid

Mizuno 9 wood

Cleveland Zipcore XL irons 5i - GW

Pron Wedge 52/10

Mizuno T20 wedge 56/10

Wilson Harmonized wedge 60/10

Seemore putter

9 hours ago, Jay0101 said:

They should have set you up in 1, 4, 7 woods is my guess.
15° 3-wood isn't for everybody.  The wooden ones back in the day were 17°.  The old 2-woods were 14°.
A modern 16.5° fairway wood is a VERY good club for many people
and the equivalent to a traditional 3-wood from the past.   
[The original TaylorMade stainless 3-wood was 17° if you're not a club historian.]

As for driving iron, your seven-wood should take you down to your 5-iron, so you don't need one that you have to hit from the fairway.  You just need a good fairway finder for scary driving holes. 

They have many forgiving ones today if you don't plan to hit them from the fairway, but what people often don't realize is that with many 5-PW sets, the matching 4-iron (if offered) makes a very useful driving iron.

Some 4-irons like the T350 are 20° strong and quite forgiving.
They're just a little bit shorter than specialty driving irons, thus more controllable, and on a couple of tees each round, they could be just what the doctor ordered for a handicap player. And they'll match your other irons.

12 hours ago, Jay0101 said:

With a 20 yard gap between your 7 wood and driver,  you probably don't need a 3 wood.    Not that you need to fill it but 180 (5 iron) to 210 (7 wood) is probably too big of a gap and you should look for a 200 yard club.   

I don't know what absolutely stink means or how frequently you hit your 7 wood well (rare would be 2 out of 10 in my mind) but it might help if you explained issues and why the fitter put you in those specific clubs .  Did you try driving irons during your fitting?   Personally, I am not sure driving iron/utility wood would be the best option.   While they are much easier to hit than they used to be they still aren't the easiest clubs to hit.   I just finishing driving iron testing for MGS and you really need to hit some to see how they perform  for you.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks for the thoughts thus far. 
when I said I rarely hit my 7 wood TSR2 well ( 18 degree) i meant I can’t get it to draw so I always fade and its a hit or miss.  
I found this Callaway paradym 18 degree hybrid at my local simulator that I have been hitting  straight and long. Is it a 2H or 3h? I am hitting it better than I ever hit my 3 wood or 7 wood. 

as far as the fitting goes, it was at a PGA superstore and the fitter said I will grow into using a 3 wood. I think he was well intentioned but over estimated how much growth I needed! 

we didn’t try any driving irons either - any recommendations ? 

Also, I added some pics from todays simulator session to ask what could be a good club to bridge gapsIMG_5748.png.7d0ad23a79fc7cfafa2956b4bf3c3c98.png

IMG_5740.jpeg.dc1c6c3f213035fcf2c12764acb55f54.jpegIMG_5747.jpeg.048a47589c0ba90e1165080178493080.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Jay0101 said:

Thanks for the thoughts thus far. 
when I said I rarely hit my 7 wood TSR2 well ( 18 degree) i meant I can’t get it to draw so I always fade and its a hit or miss.  
I found this Callaway paradym 18 degree hybrid at my local simulator that I have been hitting  straight and long. Is it a 2H or 3h? I am hitting it better than I ever hit my 3 wood or 7 wood. 

as far as the fitting goes, it was at a PGA superstore and the fitter said I will grow into using a 3 wood. I think he was well intentioned but over estimated how much growth I needed! 

Also, I added some pics from todays simulator session to ask what could be a good club to bridge gapsIMG_5748.png.7d0ad23a79fc7cfafa2956b4bf3c3c98.png

IMG_5740.jpeg.dc1c6c3f213035fcf2c12764acb55f54.jpegIMG_5747.jpeg.048a47589c0ba90e1165080178493080.jpeg

Maybe a 4 hybrid to fill the 5i to 2 hybrid gap.... or grip down to the shaft on the 2 hybrid and see if that drops swing speed enough to fill the gap. 

But the 2 hybrid numbers look good. Worth a hit out on the course! 

WITB

Cobra F9 driver

Adams golf 2 hybrid

Mizuno 9 wood

Cleveland Zipcore XL irons 5i - GW

Pron Wedge 52/10

Mizuno T20 wedge 56/10

Wilson Harmonized wedge 60/10

Seemore putter

9 hours ago, Jay0101 said:

I found this Callaway paradym 18 degree hybrid at my local simulator that I have been hitting  straight and long. Is it a 2H or 3h?

Also, I added some pics from todays simulator session to ask what could be a good club to bridge gaps

why do you have to hit a draw.  You can effectively get to scratch by playing a stock shot shape and never working the ball. 

18* would probably be a 2h. 

ping crossover would be a good utility iron to look at; fairly easy to hit.  

hard to tell on gaps since you didn’t hit every club. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG