Fittings and Reviews

After a number of fittings that were decidedly poor, I've become a self-fitter. Ideally there's a fitter out there for me, but finding them is like a needle in a haystack. Been playing low swing speed golf for 50 years. If I can get a fitter past the idea that someone with 83 mph driver swing speed doesn't hit it in the screws just about every shot (average drive is 215, hitting 93% of fairways, and coming into greens designed for 9 irons with 5 woods and still, as an average putter, making enough birdies to keep it interesting)  they still tend to know very little about equipment in this range--they tend not to treat the precision I'm after very seriously.  So I've just gone my own way, reading tons of reviews and trying to cull from all the reviews by people who don't have a game like mine what kind of equipment to play.  My golf spy doesn't get into a lot of specifics about individual testers or when they do the tester seldom fits my profile. The questions these fitters ask up front are inane to me... What's your greatest strength or weakness, driving or irons, etc.  With my driver I can typically rely on being no more than 3 to 5 yards off my intended target line. But I can't hit a lick from even light rough.

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

I've only had one decent fitting.  There used to be an independent shop here that would let me take out any demo club to use on the course and he would also let me spend all the time I wanted in the launch monitor trying different shafts, heads and specs.  From that, I got a good idea of what works for me.  Unfortunately, he closed at the beginning of this year.  From what I've read online, really good fittings can be as rare as hens' teeth. 

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

BTW, you probably have watched the TXG (now Club Champion) videos on youtube but, if not, do a search for club champion ronnie.  Rocket Ronnie is an older player with a swing speed just a little higher than yours.  He has been in a number of their videos.

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS