Shallowing the Club, an Epidemic

I’ve been playing golf for 27 years… been to a lot of ranges, played with all sorts of skill sets. I am seeing a growing trend in people trying to “shallow the club”… and I think it is BS.

Today for example, a 30’s something dude who seemed to be coordinated and athletic was practicing this move.  He blocked every single shot, every single one.  His attempt to keep the club shallow made his swing extremely flat and way off what his swing plane should be, and they were all weak shots.  

Last week was pretty much the same with a young woman.  

The week before, another guy trying to be a “hitter” and shanked every single iron shot, and hit so far on the heel with his driver it acted like a shank.

I believe they are watching too many instagram golfers show these very unnatural moves and trying to copy them is causing widespread panic and confusion with new golfers, and probably some seasoned golfers as well.  I’m guilty of it… and I don’t think it is helping anyone.

Thoughts?

Edited by Shankster

Driver: Callway Rogue St Triple Diamond 9*

2 HY: Mizuno STZ 230 16* (set to 13.75)

2 Iron: Taylormade UDI 17*

Irons: 2019 Titleist T100S 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM6 54* and SM9 48* / Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter: PING Anser 

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: Jones 

• Shankster changed the title to Shallowing the Club, an Epidemic
Posted (edited)

I should have linked this with it, but I am not the only one.  Open winner Darren Clarke shares some my thoughts, or I guess I share them with him.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=453041741098397&vanity=PGATOURChampions

Edited by Shankster

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

I should have linked this with it, but I am not the only one.  Open winner Darren Clarke shares some my thoughts, or I guess I share them with him.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=453041741098397&vanity=PGATOURChampions

everyone swings differently and you and your instructor (if you have one)  need to figure out what things work for you.   I personally  think players do shallow the club but it isn't a forced motion.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree @cnosil, most people shallow the club mostly passively in the swing.  The rehearsals I’ve been seeing they looked like a pretzel and even if it did work, the ball isn’t getting off the ground.  There would be no power in the motion they are trying to do.  Just been observing swings a lot more lately.

edit: I think the over exaggerated shallowing is what’s causing the swings I’ve observed to be the issue.

Edited by Shankster

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

edit: I think the over exaggerated shallowing is what’s causing the swings I’ve observed to be the issue.

Over exaggeration is another big thing in instruction.  

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Over exaggeration is another big thing in instruction.  

I know that it is, but, I am 99.9999% sure they are not taking lessons.  Maybe 1 guy, the one today… but I am not really sure what they would be working on.  I’ve not seen this type of stuff before.  The dude was getting super mad at himself.  I feel like I could have had him sorted in a few swings.  Shoulders were way open by about 20 yards, super flip at the ball.  A little less inside take away and use his 6’2” frame as a lever instead of swinging like Kuchar.

It frustrates me seeing this “get shallower” stuff.  A lot of people need just the opposite… again, my untrained interpretation of what I’m seeing.  A little higher hands would have done wonders for all of these people.

I think there has always been a "latest trend" in teaching that tried to mold everyone into the swing being taught.  It kind of turned me off to the golf academy approach going way back to the early Leadbetter days.  Just looking at the variety of students physical abilities and capabilities it didnt make sense the same moves and positions were pushed on each player.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

19 minutes ago, Shankopotomous said:

I think there has always been a "latest trend" in teaching that tried to mold everyone into the swing being taught.  It kind of turned me off to the golf academy approach going way back to the early Leadbetter days.  Just looking at the variety of students physical abilities and capabilities it didnt make sense the same moves and positions were pushed on each player.

I agree with you.  I have seen the Instagram page for a European instructor that teaches everyone the same swing.  They are typically junior players and every players swing looks identical.  

3 hours ago, Shankopotomous said:

That’s what I’m talking about.  Not everyone needs to get shallow, some people need to get steeper so they aren’t pushing and blocking shots 45° to the right/left depending on handedness.

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

I agree with you.  I have seen the Instagram page for a European instructor that teaches everyone the same swing.  They are typically junior players and every players swing looks identical.  

Yes. Why teach the same swing to a 5’2 guy and a 6’2 guy?  Doesn’t make sense to me.

17 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yes. Why teach the same swing to a 5’2 guy and a 6’2 guy?  Doesn’t make sense to me.

I am not an instructor/coach so I can’t answer that question.  

15 hours ago, Shankster said:

I know that it is, but, I am 99.9999% sure they are not taking lessons.  Maybe 1 guy, the one today… but I am not really sure what they would be working on.  I’ve not seen this type of stuff before.  The dude was getting super mad at himself.  I feel like I could have had him sorted in a few swings.  Shoulders were way open by about 20 yards, super flip at the ball.  A little less inside take away and use his 6’2” frame as a lever instead of swinging like Kuchar.

It frustrates me seeing this “get shallower” stuff.  A lot of people need just the opposite… again, my untrained interpretation of what I’m seeing.  A little higher hands would have done wonders for all of these people.

Sometimes the best strategy is just to not really watch others people’s swings.  I am bad at taking my own advise sometimes, but it gets me out of my zone.   Really Slow players, odd techniques and weird pre shot routines.  Just get them out of your mind and just look at the fairway, the green or the scenery.

On the shallow swing, I am finding if I take good cuts with my driver, I do seem to naturally shallow it on the downswing.  Is that right or wrong, who know but it seems to work for me.  I find if I align my driver directly behind the ball I heel strike more times than not.  I know it’s not normal or probably what instructors would advise me to do.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

21 hours ago, Shankster said:

I believe they are watching too many instagram golfers show these very unnatural moves and trying to copy them is causing widespread panic and confusion with new golfers, and probably some seasoned golfers as well.  I’m guilty of it… and I don’t think it is helping anyone.

Instagram, Youtube, anyone who tried to diagnose their own swing faults and come up with the right "cure" by watching random video instruction is foolish.  Beyond that, golf swings and instruction seem to go in cycles, and way too many people want to follow the current fad.  I'm sure at least a few folks here will remember the "reverse-C" move, the one that wrecked at least a few backs.  Then the stack-and-tilt, which had some positive ideas but could be WAY overdone.  Now the current term is "shallowing".  In my mind, shallowing is the result of something good, a "symptom" of proper movement, not something to be achieved for its own sake.  

What do they say about attorneys, a lawyer who represents himself in court has a fool for a client.  Well a player who tries to be his own swing instructor is much the same.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Some of the best ball strikers to ever play never had a profound shallowing move.

Tiger was incredibly steep in his early years and learned how to stay on plane.  Take the late 90’s when Tiger was beginning to flatten out he still kept it on plane without the massive flattening shallow drop.

@DaveP043 nailed it.  Trends come and go.  Swing your swing and learn how to keep it on plane.

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

9 hours ago, Shankster said:

Found the coach I was referring to.   

Here is a golf article about his approach:  https://golf.com/news/skillest-coach-andreas-kali/

If you watch the swings on his instagram page:  https://www.instagram.com/andreaskaligolf/?hl=en  While the swings are slightly different you can see they are all based on the same model and look very similar.

This may be something completely different but I was told - in person from a teaching pro - to lower the hands in the down swing. Gotta say when I started to get it, I started to get a few really solid strikes.

WITB of an "aspiring"   play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A*)
3W...Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (ProForce V2 HL 5F3)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour/Tour S. Or a found Pro V1/x.

* (current) Forum tester for the Newton Motion driver shaft (2024)
Forum tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

20231223_133657.jpg.960669f48157ee1fbafde043ef7f132a.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

4 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

This may be something completely different but I was told - in person from a teaching pro - to lower the hands in the down swing. Gotta say when I started to get it, I started to get a few really solid strikes.

When I’m absolutely trying to hit a draw and get the path moving right it happens automagically. Yes, automagically.  I’m going to mess around with changing path instead of adjusting stance to hit certain shots.  Probably a terrible idea, but back when I lived in Michigan, I could get quite a few extra yards off the tee with a pull fade.  The pull as we know is a powerful shot that usually goes a bit farther than we want when it pops up.  Having that shot in the bag can be useful when done on purpose.

5 hours ago, Shankster said:

When I’m absolutely trying to hit a draw and get the path moving right it happens automagically. Yes, automagically.  I’m going to mess around with changing path instead of adjusting stance to hit certain shots.  Probably a terrible idea, but back when I lived in Michigan, I could get quite a few extra yards off the tee with a pull fade.  The pull as we know is a powerful shot that usually goes a bit farther than we want when it pops up.  Having that shot in the bag can be useful when done on purpose.

Yes it probably does happen automatically for those with an inside out path but it also depends on your backswing path.   For most (slicers) with an outside in path it probably doesn’t happen at all.   Thinking about it more it probably it isn’t anything new; previously it was also described as having the shaft plane going up your forearm at left arm parallel.   

I just hit a stock shot;  works for 99% of the shots I need to hit.  No reason to work the ball on the course.   

The two gentlemen I was playing with today asked me to hit a fade on hole 18, it was a par 3 140 yards and the fade was not the shot to hit here… or so I thought, Wirhout knowing the green contour and a mound in front of the pin I was a bit nervous to hit a fade.  Initially I set up to hit a push fade, then I remembered what I said about changing path… set up square to the target and swung the club on a slight out to in path with a slightly closed face and damn near hit a HOI.  Absolute beauty, 1.5 yard fade.  Best struck iron of the day… it really has me thinking I should use that more often. 

10 minutes ago, Shankster said:

The two gentlemen I was playing with today asked me to hit a fade on hole 18, it was a par 3 140 yards and the fade was not the shot to hit here… or so I thought, Wirhout knowing the green contour and a mound in front of the pin I was a bit nervous to hit a fade.  Initially I set up to hit a push fade, then I remembered what I said about changing path… set up square to the target and swung the club on a slight out to in path with a slightly closed face and damn near hit a HOI.  Absolute beauty, 1.5 yard fade.  Best struck iron of the day… it really has me thinking I should use that more often. 

Controlled shots are the best.  

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

On 10/13/2024 at 9:43 PM, cksurfdude said:

This is what great instructors accomplish.  They find the proper choice of words to communicate to each student so they understand the why and how.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

This is what great instructors accomplish.  They find the proper choice of words to communicate to each student so they understand the why and how.

Not exactly related to the topic, but since working on being just a little less steep, I think I’ve gotten myself down to that dangerously low spin zone.  Need a monitor to show me what’s happening soon wise, I should probably just buy one.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Not exactly related to the topic, but since working on being just a little less steep, I think I’ve gotten myself down to that dangerously low spin zone.  Need a monitor to show me what’s happening soon wise, I should probably just buy one.

Definitely would complement the WB / WB thread. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

As someone who worked very hard to try to hit a draw, I ended up with a very flat backswing and then kind of a flip, pull/draw where my hands were way behind my body in the downswing. Today, I took a lesson and the instructor was working on me being more connected and keeping my hands in front of my chest throughout the swing, it feels over the top but is still *slightly* in to out on Trackman and produces a really gentle fade. Feels very solid when I get it right. I still have the mega shallowing feel for when I need to hit an insane 40 yd hook so I guess that is good?

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review --