Are DTC Companies Unique? ... read more

GolfSpy_APH

Interesting timing

i just this morning received an offer from Patriot, “free” wedges if I “buy” for trial a driver.

i called, and no they do not have R&D, and that allows them to sell the product so cheaply.

the Internet reviews about getting money back from Patriot isn’t very good. So maybe they make a lot of money by stringing along buyers until they give up trying.

Hmmmmmm

At least Bob Parson, PXG, Amit’s part of the $$$$& for the clubs is to recoup R&D money.

DougJ

Hit it hard and hope to find it!!

22 hours ago, haywoodgolf said:

We did start off with open source for one set of irons, 5 years ago, and have never hidden from that because as you start a business, funds don't always allow for certain aspects. Being a business wanting to do things 'right', as we have grown, so has our ability to design, develop, test and have our own tooling for products. 

I think that’s the right perspective. My brother worked at Vice about 10 years ago, when they were just getting started after their initial phase with ‘Flake’. I mean, those two are lawyers—do you really think they developed their first products themselves? I doubt it. But as they grew, they got better products, more developed ones. They were strong in marketing right from the start, which helped them grow into an innovative, profitable business. As for their clubs, I know the head of R&D there, and it’s not open mold.

My point is, you could start a brand, and using open-source options might be easier financially. But I don’t think you’ll gain real influence if you just keep copying.

Tour Edge EX 9, Tour Edge 3 Wood, 5 Wood / HIO Fitting

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, Project X6.5 LZ

Titleist Vokey SM10

L.A.B. DF3

Interesting question for sure!

As was mentioned, it just doesn't fall on clubs. 

Polos, gloves, balls, bags, etc are all sourced from the same companies. 

I get a few emails or messages a week from middle east and asian companies asking if I want to buy their products, and they appear identical to major brands. But I'm not into buying bulk.

Almost all of your pins and Aces, Sunday swagger, deolax, etc are from the same factory. 

As for the original question about clubs, if they are a fair market blueprint, then it is up to the seller to find something to define them. The biggest thing to me will be the shaft options available and how that would really affect the price.

From my experience with Stix, and emails between us about their shafts, they claim it's their own proprietary shaft. However others may be using the cheapest ones available and that is where it can affect the feel of the club at impact the most, imo

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

5 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Interesting question for sure!

As was mentioned, it just doesn't fall on clubs. 

Polos, gloves, balls, bags, etc are all sourced from the same companies. 

I get a few emails or messages a week from middle east and asian companies asking if I want to buy their products, and they appear identical to major brands. But I'm not into buying bulk.

Almost all of your pins and Aces, Sunday swagger, deolax, etc are from the same factory. 

As for the original question about clubs, if they are a fair market blueprint, then it is up to the seller to find something to define them. The biggest thing to me will be the shaft options available and how that would really affect the price.

From my experience with Stix, and emails between us about their shafts, they claim it's their own proprietary shaft. However others may be using the cheapest ones available and that is where it can affect the feel of the club at impact the most, imo

I agree. I’ve been to several fittings, and often the club heads perform pretty ‘similarly’. None of us can really rely on a little extra distance or whatever—we just think it matters more than it does. I’ve even bought ‘worse-performing’ clubs, but they felt better to me. I’m eager to try all these DTC brands. I’d say Haywood and Sub70 are far ahead of Takomo, for example. I assume I could play the same way with all of these clubs, even though one might be more forgiving or another a bit longer. In the end, it’s also about connecting/identifying with the brand

Tour Edge EX 9, Tour Edge 3 Wood, 5 Wood / HIO Fitting

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, Project X6.5 LZ

Titleist Vokey SM10

L.A.B. DF3

I think DTC is here to stay & will be relevant in the future as well. Companies like sub 70 as well as Miura & LAB (only in limited stores) will dominate the DTC trend because they offer more quality & customer service than the big 3 (TM, Callaway & Titlelest). 

The subject of a DTC copying another company or vice versa is really in the eyes of the beholder. With golf manufacturers churning out new models of drivers & irons every 2 years, some are going to look similar. 

Drivers have to be roundish & irons have to be rectangular unless we go the Nike route & companies go Sasquatch again. Man, this driver was hideous 😆.

Squatch.jpg

Known by friends as the tinkerer with my clubs. I enjoy doing my own R&D on the course.

On 10/22/2024 at 8:01 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Ok here is what I think, the big name manufacturers, for the most part, also have their equipment made at the same foundries that the DTC brands do. Not all but most. This of course excludes Ping who makes everything in the USA. Name brands inflate everything to pay endorsment costs. Who supports the fees paid?, I think the wanna be players go for the marketing so if you buy this it will improve your game. People think a couple good shots makes it all worth it. One bomb with a driver you paid 600 plus some think it really works. Its in their brain more than the club. People pay way too much because of marketing. Its the way of the sport. However, the preponderance of us don't give a darn what Rory or Scotty play. We want a reasonable price but its just not given, ever! The DTC price is  reasonable and will give the same results as the name brands. Name brand companies stick it to you at retail. Its too much money to be hacking for some....How many prople can't even play because of the equipment cost but nobody seems to care. The club dealers jack the price of older used clubs hoping to force you into a new set. Used Ping Eye 2s for 299 to 350. Forget it...so,  the DTC brands are great. The name brands are crying the blus because people are tired of getting screwed for the cost of name brand that want to force you to pay. No way. Its a message the name brands that your equipment to pricy for the majority of players. Now at least they have options

Just my $0.02.. I'd suggest Tour Edge also belongs in the top tier DTCs.

Warrior and Patriot were mentioned - I'd suggest these are marketing and sales groups, with golf clubs just happening to be the product. If they can capture just, say, ½ of 1% of the overall golf club industry then they're making good coin. 

As to the original question on distinguishing between DTC companies .. there used to be a men's suits store with an ad tag line, "an educated consumer is our best customer"

WITB of an "aspiring"  play-ah...
Driver... 
Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A*)
3W... Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (ProForce V2 HL 5F3)
7W... Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H... Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H... Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW... 
Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW... 
Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter... 
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
.. all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
.. ball often, not always,
MaxFli Tour/S. Or a found Pro V1/x.
.. (
dark orange text = MGS Forum inspired selection)

* (current) Forum tester for the Newton Motion driver shaft (2024)
Forum tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

20231223_133657.jpg.960669f48157ee1fbafde043ef7f132a.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

29 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Tour Edge really isn't a DTC, as you can get them at most big box golf stores.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

24 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Warrior and Patriot were mentioned - I'd suggest these are marketing and sales groups, with golf clubs just happening to be the product. If they can capture just, say, ½ of 1% of the overall golf club industry then they're making good coin. 

As to the original question on distinguishing between DTC companies .. there used to be a men's suits store with an ad tag line, "an educated consumer is our best customer"

You cannot include Tour Edge Golf with the DTC golf equipment companies. Their golf clubs are sold in several bricks and mortar stores, including PGA Tour Superstore, many GolfGalaxy and Dick’s Sporting Goods locations, Carl’s Golfland, etc. plus by virtually all online golf retailers (TGW, Global Golf, Rock Bottom Golf, etc.). In addition, Tour Edge has a network of fitter/dealers, of which I am one.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!