Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Okay so I thought I did this earlier but I can't find it so I guess I did something wrong. If it's in another heading I apologize.

I was watching this ridiculous commercial about a swing speed meter on the driver where guys are seeing 10 plus mph differences in their swing speeds.

I've hit driver on a launch monitor I don't know how many times in my life - I've never seen more than a 4 mph difference in any of the swings that I've made in a given session. Granted each monitor is a bit different and I understand that they have differing ways of determining swing speed. Depending upon the method I'm between 93 and 97 or 89 and 93 and have been for several years.

I also don't notice that kind of hug difference in swing speed with touring pros - Tiger's swing speed is his swing speed - he's somewhere in the low 120's - you can count on it.

Perhaps its a higher handicapper thing to have such huge swings in clubhead speed - I've always thought the difference in distance one shot to the next had way more to do with smash factor (misshits) than differing swing speeds.

Any thoughts?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Okay so I thought I did this earlier but I can't find it so I guess I did something wrong. If it's in another heading I apologize.

I was watching this ridiculous commercial about a swing speed meter on the driver where guys are seeing 10 plus mph differences in their swing speeds.

I've hit driver on a launch monitor I don't know how many times in my life - I've never seen more than a 4 mph difference in any of the swings that I've made in a given session. Granted each monitor is a bit different and I understand that they have differing ways of determining swing speed. Depending upon the method I'm between 93 and 97 or 89 and 93 and have been for several years.

I also don't notice that kind of hug difference in swing speed with touring pros - Tiger's swing speed is his swing speed - he's somewhere in the low 120's - you can count on it.

Perhaps its a higher handicapper thing to have such huge swings in clubhead speed - I've always thought the difference in distance one shot to the next had way more to do with smash factor (misshits) than differing swing speeds.

Any thoughts?

This is one of those things that low cappers have their heads in the clouds and can't see what it's like for those of us struggling for consistency.

I've been on LMs and have seen anything from 89 to 102. Usually, when I see something in the low 90s, I can quickly correct it though.

Stretching seems to help quite a bit too. With not-so-scientific testing, I've noticed about a 4mph bump in swing speed purely due to stretching.

Like wdgolf says, MY swing speed can vary quite a bit in a single session, which is one of the reasons I got my own LM to practice with, particularly over the long winters in South Dakota

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'll sort of sum this up very simply:

Low handicaps shouldn't very much, middle to high handicaps will. It's common sense to think a consistent swing will result in a consistent swing speed.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

For me, I'm pretty consistent with swing speed but I need to work on it. On launch monitors, I'm always between 94-97, nothing more and nothing less. I'll try to swing hard every so often and I can't get it above 100 no matter what I do. It's a blessing and a curse. I'm always in the fairway but the first one to hit on approach shots.

For me, I'm pretty consistent with swing speed but I need to work on it. On launch monitors, I'm always between 94-97, nothing more and nothing less. I'll try to swing hard every so often and I can't get it above 100 no matter what I do. It's a blessing and a curse. I'm always in the fairway but the first one to hit on approach shots.

But you're also young and will get faster.

I am sorry for having my head in the clouds WD. I care a lot about mid to high handicap players. I play with them frequently but sometimes I don't understand what it is they're doing particularly course management wise. I keep my mouth shut unless asked though.

I learned a lot about golf balls for that group here because I've always wondered why you wouldn't use a topline ball regardless - I do get it now. I have truly always thought the difference in distance of shots with a higher handicapper came for contact not swing speed.

It does make sense though that when the swing works its more energy efficient and therefor produces greater speed to go with the solid contact. I play with some middle handicappers whom I'll out drive consistenly unless we both catch it solidly and then they knock it past me. It also accounts for why they under club so much - if your swing speed with a 7 iron varies by 10 mph clubbing must be a b:@!#.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I learned a lot about golf balls for that group here because I've always wondered why you wouldn't use a topline ball regardless - I do get it now. I have truly always thought the difference in distance of shots with a higher handicapper came for contact not swing speed.

As a "bogey man", one thing I've learned by getting the GC2 to practice with at home over the winter, top line balls SHOULD be the best choice for any handicap that doesn't include losing lots of golf balls every round.

At my age, I'll never win any long drive contests so the most important part of my game is the short game. The playability of top line balls is SO much better than "distance rocks", I can't help but feel that quality balls can take strokes off my handicap (even for those of us with slower swing speeds).

I had been playing the Precept Laddie for a long time, based on price and recommendations based on my swing speed (@80-85 mph). I not only don't lose distance with the ProV, I get a better dispersion so I'm not as likely to go OB or lose the ball!

Price is an issue, for me as well as many others, so I do play recycled balls (but NOT refurbished).

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 2 months later...

My swing speed varies significantly from day to day depending on my energy level.

For me a high carbohydrate breakfast consisting of cornflakes and soya milk actually reduced my performance, compared to a high fat breakfast of bacon. I have experimented on this enough to more or less conclude this is the case for me.

With high carb diet, I am not as energetic and my endurance is affected. My typical swing speed rarely go above 105 mph. However with high fat breakfast, my typical swing speed goes up to 108 - 112 mph. There is also a marked improvement in energy level and endurance.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

As a "bogey man", one thing I've learned by getting the GC2 to practice with at home over the winter, top line balls SHOULD be the best choice for any handicap that doesn't include losing lots of golf balls every round.

At my age, I'll never win any long drive contests so the most important part of my game is the short game. The playability of top line balls is SO much better than "distance rocks", I can't help but feel that quality balls can take strokes off my handicap (even for those of us with slower swing speeds).

I had been playing the Precept Laddie for a long time, based on price and recommendations based on my swing speed (@80-85 mph). I not only don't lose distance with the ProV, I get a better dispersion so I'm not as likely to go OB or lose the ball!

Price is an issue, for me as well as many others, so I do play recycled balls (but NOT refurbished).

For me I prefer to use recycled balls nowadays. It's more psychological than anything.

No matter what brand I use, if it's brand new from the sleeve, there is only one destination - it goes straight to the water hazard. Brand new balls rarely last more than 3 holes for me. But a used ball, maybe slight scuffed up, can last at least 9 holes before it becomes too scuffed up for use.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

For me I prefer to use recycled balls nowadays. It's more psychological than anything.

No matter what brand I use, if it's brand new from the sleeve, there is only one destination - it goes straight to the water hazard. Brand new balls rarely last more than 3 holes for me. But a used ball, maybe slight scuffed up, can last at least 9 holes before it becomes too scuffed up for use.

That's likely a factor for a lot of folks, when you've got a $3 ball and a shot you're not comfortable with it's more likely to cause the brain to overtake the swing and that can't be good :P

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I have one of these and yes my swing speed can still vary quite a bit. This really shows you that when you relax you swing faster. And since it measures speed at impact, it does not matter how fast the rest of the swing is. I just am still not able to remember that on the course sometimes. Because I have a really good short game it does not effect my score as much as it might.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

My swing speed hardly varies at all - its between 93 and 97 like clock work. Guess my swing speed is just slower than most which is wierd because I hit the ball farther on average than many people who seemingly have higher swing speeds than I do. At least that's what they say when I see them on the course and they were just fit for the newest and greatest piece of equipment.

How solidly I hit the ball - that's another matter altogether and it does vary noticably from day to day often based on how I'm feeling or what I'm thinking.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I got a fitting from one of the best fitters in dfw who fits tour pros and such a couple of weeks ago and he supported what rev Kev said. He said when he fits someone typically their swing speed comes down a few miles an hour but their ball speed increases dramatically with the right shaft and head because their contact and the shaft kicking correctly makes such a big difference. He says smash gets way better with a proper fitting. He also said that anyone who fits you for a shaft based on swing speed doesn't know what they are doing because transition, tempo, and the launch #s are what determines shaft flex and such. This guy was amazing. He watched me hit 5 balls with my own club. Recommended a shaft and his first choice was a perfect fit by the #'s. we tried 5 other shafts anyway but his first inclination was exactly right!

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I got a fitting from one of the best fitters in dfw who fits tour pros and such a couple of weeks ago and he supported what rev Kev said. He said when he fits someone typically their swing speed comes down a few miles an hour but their ball speed increases dramatically with the right shaft and head because their contact and the shaft kicking correctly makes such a big difference. He says smash gets way better with a proper fitting. He also said that anyone who fits you for a shaft based on swing speed doesn't know what they are doing because transition, tempo, and the launch #s are what determines shaft flex and such. This guy was amazing. He watched me hit 5 balls with my own club. Recommended a shaft and his first choice was a perfect fit by the #'s. we tried 5 other shafts anyway but his first inclination was exactly right!

I think those other shafts are important because they verify the correct choice in the mind of the user!!!!!

I was very blessed to have that TMag fitting last fall - I learned so much from it and what I learned was basically what you are saying.

I just don't believe our swing speeds vary so much as we might think - It's how solidly we hit the ball that varies greatly.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That seems to be exactly the case for me, since "swing speed theory" would dictate I absolutely should NOT be gaming the Mizuno MP-32s I just got from Rickles. The past few days on on the range, the GC2 Launch Monitor and 2 nights on the golf course prove otherwise, to me.

Accuracy, consistency and ball flight are all improved compared to the set I was told by a local fitter were "perfect" for my swing speed this Spring... :P

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived