Our Sponsors

Some excellent responses already and although some aspects are not surprising, the details are very revealing. Keep em coming please! This is extremely revealing and useful information. I also like the fact that aim point is getting more popular and accessible.

I recommend the excellent book 'Every shot counts'  by Mark Broadie for anyone looking for more useful information on how to lower their score and decipher statistical information.

Ideally 100+ responses would give enough information to establish a reliable general review & summary

cheers

Stuart

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist 910 9.5° Diamana 72 gram stiff shaft

17° FW - Titleist 910 diamana 72 gram stiff shaft

Rescue - Titleist 909H 21° voodoo stiff shaft

irons - 4 - PW Ping Anser stiff steel

GW - Magregor 52° VIP

SW + Lob - Vokey's

Putter - Burton Custom Prototype - 2.5° loft, 68° lie angle, 375 gram head, 20° toe hang, non offset,  Back weighted 75grams.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am also fascinated by aspects of specifics of putting   Releasing the putter head for you is very important. Your right hand is the dominant hand your optical preferences are for as little stimula

I actually went through a putter fitting a couple years back and was fit into a standard 34" 71*. As I've later come to realize, it didn't take into account eye dominance and how I see the line from b

Isn't that true about the entire game GM?  So often we want to run after what the pros are doing and we fail to remember that they are pros.  Isn't it true that we would do well with something more co

Posted Images

1, What putter do you use and why?

MannKrafter Rattler wide body(was called FattRattler when I bought it). Can't beat a handmade putter. And Lamont's work is awesome.

2, What are the specs of your putter?

32.75" 4*loft 72*lie 360g headweight.

3, How long have you been using the current putter in your bag?

3 years. Refinished once

4, Do you commit to a specific method?

No specific method. With much tinkering, have found the stroke that works best for me. Eyes outside the ball. 75% grip pressure in right hand. Reverse overlap. Slight forward press. Go.

5, How do you rate your putting performance on a scale of 1 to 10?

I'd give myself an 8. Maybe a 9 if we are on slick greens.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

1, What putter do you use and why?

MannKrafter Rattler wide body(was called FattRattler when I bought it). Can't beat a handmade putter. And Lamont's work is awesome.

2, What are the specs of your putter?

32.75" 4*loft 72*lie 360g headweight.

3, How long have you been using the current putter in your bag?

3 years. Refinished once

4, Do you commit to a specific method?

No specific method. With much tinkering, have found the stroke that works best for me. Eyes outside the ball. 75% grip pressure in right hand. Reverse overlap. Slight forward press. Go.

5, How do you rate your putting performance on a scale of 1 to 10?

I'd give myself an 8. Maybe a 9 if we are on slick greens.

awesome

GW - Magregor 52° VIP

SW + Lob - Vokey's

Putter - Burton Custom Prototype - 2.5° loft, 68° lie angle, 375 gram head, 20° toe hang, non offset,  Back weighted 75grams.

Some excellent responses already and although some aspects are not surprising, the details are very revealing. Keep em coming please! This is extremely revealing and useful information. I also like the fact that aim point is getting more popular and accessible.

I recommend the excellent book 'Every shot counts'  by Mark Broadie for anyone looking for more useful information on how to lower their score and decipher statistical information.

Ideally 100+ responses would give enough information to establish a reliable general review & summary

cheers

Stuart

OK Stuart, I have to ask now. Can you give us a little more information about where this survey is leading? I'm curious about your objective and how you intend to use the data. If you feel that might taint the results, I guess I can wait. NOT!

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

OK Stuart, I have to ask now. Can you give us a little more information about where this survey is leading? I'm curious about your objective and how you intend to use the data. If you feel that might taint the results, I guess I can wait. NOT!

Sure Kenny,

As a putter designer & developer of putter fitting and coaching systems, I am very interested in how seriously people approach their putters and technique. There are patterns which show up and if there is enough response then I can gauge what the trend is and assess how people react to specific factors.

For example, a large percentage of putters which have been shortened to less than 33" are mallet putters and are heavier and/or backweighted. This is also a common occurrence on tour.

Of the 90 putters which I fitted last year not a single one came out at industry standard (34", 35", combined with a 71° lie angle). I believe that 95% of the result for a short putt is determined before the putter starts moving. This is where a properly fitted putter and better information would help improve performance.

I will reveal more later but I really need more responses to back it up. 

• Like 2

GW - Magregor 52° VIP

SW + Lob - Vokey's

At this time, I'm only able to practice putting indoors and I'm wavering between 2 putters, so I'm going to wait until I can actually putt on real greens before submitting a response.

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

Sure Kenny,

As a putter designer & developer of putter fitting and coaching systems, I am very interested in how seriously people approach their putters and technique. There are patterns which show up and if there is enough response then I can gauge what the trend is and assess how people react to specific factors.

For example, a large percentage of putters which have been shortened to less than 33" are mallet putters and are heavier and/or backweighted. This is also a common occurrence on tour.

Of the 90 putters which I fitted last year not a single one came out at industry standard (34", 35", combined with a 71° lie angle). I believe that 95% of the result for a short putt is determined before the putter starts moving. This is where a properly fitted putter and better information would help improve performance.

I went for my first putter fitting a few weeks ago. It was more of a retrofit since I love my Ketsch. When I went in, it was right around 35". He recommended cutting it down to 32.5", which I did. When I go back we're going to mess around with some counterweights and check the lie angle. Do you have a recommendation for the best way to check for proper lie angle on a putter?
  • Like 2

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

1, What putter do you use and why?Nike Method Core Drone

2, What are the specs of your putter?33" Length, 4* Loft, 71* Lie, 365 gram head weight

3, How long have you been using the current putter in your bag? 1 1/2 years

4, Do you commit to a specific method?Yes...After I line up my putt. I approach the ball and take several Pendulum strokes while looking at the hole. This sets my tempo and power in my muscles.

5, How do you rate your putting performance on a scale of 1 to 10? 7....I generally have 25 to 29 putts per round.

• Like 1

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I went for my first putter fitting a few weeks ago. It was more of a retrofit since I love my Ketsch. When I went in, it was right around 35". He recommended cutting it down to 32.5", which I did. When I go back we're going to mess around with some counterweights and check the lie angle. Do you have a recommendation for the best way to check for proper lie angle on a putter?

Checking the existing lie of a putter is easy if you have a loft/lie machine. If you do not then a standard lie angle is 71 degrees and comparing your putter to this will give you an idea of what the lie angle is. If you set both putters flat on the ground and line up the tips of the shafts then check the difference at the grip end, on a standard grip size, one grip width is approx 2 degrees in lie angle.

GW - Magregor 52° VIP

SW + Lob - Vokey's

Sure Kenny,

I actually went through a putter fitting a couple years back and was fit into a standard 34" 71*. As I've later come to realize, it didn't take into account eye dominance and how I see the line from ball to hole. I was just fitted to the standard, "You need your eyes over or just inside the ball." Working with my coach after the fitting, we found that I don't see the line from ball to hole properly unless either my eyes are outside the ball or my stance is open. I wanted to be square at address, so we shortened and bent my putter upright. Now my eyes are outside the ball and I see the line from ball to hole correctly.

• Like 4

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

I'm not that tall at about 6'1-6'2" and like the 35.5" length very much.

I find it odd of 90 people not one would fit into a 34 or 35" putter? That almost doesn't seem possible?

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

My one period when I genuinely loved my putter was back in the 90's with a Ping Pal that was cut to 31.5 inches and had so much lead on it, but perhaps it's just memory playing tricks - I probably didn't hole much then either!

I'm 5 ft 10 and 34 inch putters feel very long to me.

Think this is the year I might get myself properly fit for a putter.....

• Like 2

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

My one period when I genuinely loved my putter was back in the 90's with a Ping Pal that was cut to 31.5 inches and had so much lead on it, but perhaps it's just memory playing tricks - I probably didn't hole much then either!

I'm 5 ft 10 and 34 inch putters feel very long to me.

Think this is the year I might get myself properly fit for a putter.....

A shorter, heavier putter made all the difference for me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I actually went through a putter fitting a couple years back and was fit into a standard 34" 71*. As I've later come to realize, it didn't take into account eye dominance and how I see the line from ball to hole. I was just fitted to the standard, "You need your eyes over or just inside the ball." Working with my coach after the fitting, we found that I don't see the line from ball to hole properly unless either my eyes are outside the ball or my stance is open. I wanted to be square at address, so we shortened and bent my putter upright. Now my eyes are outside the ball and I see the line from ball to hole correctly.

For Stuart as well,

I forgot to mention that I changed my putting stance about a year ago.  I am right eye dominant, and for years I was putting with a 34" putter ala Nicklaus because I "could see the line" better with a very open stance.  However, the putter was too long and I was choked down to the shaft and my elbows severely bent.  That worked OK even when I changed to the Heavy putter, but it worked best for long, lag putting.  The bad with that stance was that I tended to miss what I thought was a high % of short putts.  So I spent a lot of time on the putting green with a 10' string between two long nails; set the string along the start line of the putt that put the ball in the hole with the correct speed; and spent a lot of time putting with eyes over the string and a square setup.  It was not easy at first ( I missed a lot of putts to the right).  But eventually I trained my eyes to coordinate with my arms along the correct path.  Not perfect yet, but better.  I also found that lag putting using this new method is just as good as the old method.  

• Like 1

1, What putter do you use and why?  TM Ghost Spider Si 38" counterbalanced putter.  Did MGS Product Review of it, hasn't come out of my bag yet.  Best thing that ever happened to my golf game.

2, What are the specs of your putter?  38"

3, How long have you been using the current putter in your bag? 10 months

4, Do you commit to a specific method?  Pendulum

5, How do you rate your putting performance on a scale of 1 to 10?  Mid to Long putts (over 5')  8

Short putts 4.  Don't know why the big difference, other than my somewhat long stroke for the longer putts doesn't translate to short putts, so I try to manufacture something for short putts.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Sure Kenny,

Thanks Stuart!  I will be looking forward to your assessment.  From what I see at golf stores, the majority of golfers buy putters based on looks or reputation, not on actual performance.  So, armed with a putter that doesn't fit them (and maybe doesn't even feel that good), they adjust their stroke to make it work.  I can say that because that is exactly what I did!  

• Like 1

I'm not that tall at about 6'1-6'2" and like the 35.5" length very much.

I find it odd of 90 people not one would fit into a 34 or 35" putter? That almost doesn't seem possible?

There were people fitted to a longer length but that usually came out at 69° (there were a couple of 70° too) but definitely no one above this. The eye position is also very important in determining this angle.

• Like 1

GW - Magregor 52° VIP

SW + Lob - Vokey's

I see well enough with both eyes focused, but have "floaters" in my left eye so I tend to shift my head to the left for my right eye to see the hole, which makes it hard for me to be square at address.  I used to putt "side-saddle," and still do sometimes for long. lag putts.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

And you've dialed in your stroke with the TIBA :)

• Like 2

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour