Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Toney Penna Brand To Return?

Well isn't this interesting...

Thoughts? Can they avoid the mistakes of the Ben Hogan relaunch?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So apparently this is a thing...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Not familiar with them - before my golfing time! - but curious if this is people from the original company, or a new group that bought the name and the logo?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Not familiar with them - before my golfing time! - but curious if this is people from the original company, or a new group that bought the name and the logo?

Toney Penna was a pro golfer and legendary club designer for MacGregor way back in the day. He left MacGregor in the mid-60's to start his own company - primarily known for really awesome persimmon drivers. Toney was born in Italy and was a premier craftsman.

This is from his Wikipedia page..

Toney G. Penna (January 15, 1908 – August 6, 1995) was an Italian-American professional golfer and designer of golf clubs and gear.[1][2] He won four events on the PGA Tour between 1937 and 1947.[3] He introduced new lines of golf clubs and was the holder of four patents for golf clubs.[4][5] Many of these clubs are considered collectors' items: some are still in production. He also introduced the use of color to both clubs and to golf accessories, such as carrying bags.

Penna was born in Naples, Italy. He grew up in Harrison, New York and also lived in Dayton and Cincinnati, Ohio.[6][7] By 1946, Penna had moved to Delray Beach, Florida.[8]

Starting out in golf by being a caddy, Penna was known for his personality and individualism as much as for his golfing abilities.[9] He was often a critic of his high-ranking golf contemporaries, and published a table illustrating his thoughts about the strengths and weaknesses of each in his autobiography.[10] With a ready temper but also a sense of humor, Penna's work as a golf pro brought him into contact with Dean MartinBing Crosby, and Bob Hope, among others.[5][11][12]

Perry Como was a long-time friend of Penna's. Before his permanent move to Florida, Como often came to golf with him on the weekends after completing his weekly television program.[13][14] After a tournament where Penna beat Como, he remarked that the only thing that was keeping him from returning to the large professional golf tours was his lack of hair. A week later, Penna received a package from Como; inside was a hairpiece and a note which said "Go!".[15]

Penna was a longtime employee and representative of the MacGregor Golf Company.[13] After years of working for MacGregor, Penna started his own company and manufactured his own golf clubs.[2] A stretch of road in Jupiter, Florida, where his company was located is named after him.[16] Penna used the spelling of his name as an attention-getter, and was known for having a taste for fine clothing.[17][18] Penna displayed an ability for concentrated problem-solving in improving golf club performance which led to his success as an equipment representative, a golf pro, and also as the producer of his own line of golf clubs.[10][19]

With his brother, Charley, Penna was associated with the Beverly and with the Calumet Country Clubs, both near Chicago; at one time both brothers were playing professionally.[20] Penna died in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida in 1995 at the age of 87.[4]

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Bigger question - is there room for another "comeback" brand?  The group bringing the company back is Harpen Brand Holdings, LLC out of New Jersey.  Harpen apparently specializes in reviving old, classic brands. Two years ago it revived the Esterbrook pen brand, and also has baseball bat and other baseball equipment brands in its stable.  

Check out the Toney Penna Facebook page here.  A limited number of wedges are for sale on Amazon -- I just bought one and it'll be here tomorrow. I post pictures as soon as it arrives. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This feels like another Hogan disaster in the making... Old brands who think they have a name in the business do not equal success.

Doubt it'll even get to the Hogan level. Sources say Harpen has just put the Penna name and logo on some open molds from Overseas. I"m talking with them tomorrow and will find out what I can and report back. 

It is what it is -- but $129 for an open mold wedge seems to be kind of pricey. We'll see what happens - my guess is it'll be a bit player in the overall show.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

That's all interesting but I wouldn't be an investor if asked. I do have a friend who used to play a Penna driver. He still has it and it's nice looking.

Best wishes to them.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That's all interesting but I wouldn't be an investor if asked.

I'll let Toney Penna know. They'll be disappointed.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The name doesn't carry too much weight with current golfers and those that do know the name may not but it on name alone. I don't see this succeeding.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

The name doesn't carry too much weight with current golfers and those that do know the name may not but it on name alone. I don't see this succeeding.

MDGolfHacker

I'll be talking with their president tomorrow -- be interesting to see what they think success looks like. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wow... is the wedge market easy to get into?  Seems like that is a tough place to start.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Wow - that is a blast from the past.  I used my fathers old Toney Penna fairway woods until the faces started cracking and chipping as a young kid trying to learn the game.  

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

It's interesting to me that they have wedges and putter because I think of driver and fairway woods - I certainly played golf with and against people who bagged Tony Penna woods but never even noticed that he made anything else. 

Great blast from the past but I don't see this having any sort of legs.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Looks like a hard sell to me. I agree with Rev, why wedges and putters when they were known for their woods...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Looks like a hard sell to me. I agree with Rev, why wedges and putters when they were known for their woods...

Lots of great woods out there. It would be hard to compete with the Epic and M1. The wedge department is lacking now. Sure there are the big brands, but this is exciting for me. Wedges are my favorite clubs in the bag.

- Alan

Facebook page says a driver is coming in June -- but I sincerely hope they're looking for a different niche than going head to head to Cally or TM. Buyers are different and differentiation is hard.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Facebook page says a driver is coming in June -- but I sincerely hope they're looking for a different niche than going head to head to Cally or TM. Buyers are different and differentiation is hard.

They could get Breed and Haney to hawk it.

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Lots of great woods out there. It would be hard to compete with the Epic and M1. The wedge department is lacking now. Sure there are the big brands, but this is exciting for me. Wedges are my favorite clubs in the bag.

- Alan

I think the wedge market is a tough sale. You could go out and buy open molds tonight and have your own company going for well under $60k. There are places to get this done. You can get one loft and 300 forged heads for under $40 a head. Plus a stock wedge shaft say $18 max and a good grip $10. So your in $78 a club. $130 is the min you want to sell one for. I just think the golf business overall is very hard to enter unless you have something behind you to boost it.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9