Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Putter Don't Work

I just got 3 new putters....

- Alan

I like to see someone committed to the method. Maybe you need even more putters?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I like to see someone committed to the method. Maybe you need even more putters?

Sending one back. One is that sweeeet Cobra (not going anywhere) and one is some old thing I got for free, just a nostalgic piece I might refinish.

Going back to the shop soon to putt a hard days work in. . Testing everything I can get my hands on, and then some.

- Alan

I'm right-eye dominant also.  For several years I putted with an open stance, ala Jack with pretty good success compared to what I used to do.  When Spieth came along looking at the hole, I tried it, but I had the line up the ball to the line, the putter to the line on the ball, and go back to a square stance.  I did OK on short putts, but the confidence wasn't there on long putts, but I kept working at it.  Now it's just natural to look at the hole (or a spot on the green for a breaker).  It's like throwing darts, horseshoes, baseball, etc.  

Once I get the speed of the greens read, I have very good speed control.  I do have a hard time with slower greens.  You say that green speed is slow right now.  I think your putting might improve when the greens speed up a little.  It seems that it's harder to get proper speed when you have to whack the ball, rather than roll it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Horseshoes. I love horseshoes. Did I ever tell you I'm a world champion horseshoe pitcher?

You're right, I do feel like I'm hitting a driver on the green I'm swinging so hard. I'm gonna give the open stance a try.

Thanks KennyB!

Many of you may know from reading some of my posts. I can not putt.... on the course.

I practice 5 - 10 - 15 footers in my living room and I'm about 65-70% or better depending on the day.

I've been stopping by the practice green and picking a flat area to putt on. Left / Right , Long / Short. I'm 20% at best on the green.

I have a straight putting stroke with maybe the slightest arc if any.

I don't have access to get fit anywhere near me.

What can I do to get this thing working?? Please help!

- Alan

I'm guessing it's probably green reading. I have that issue at times. The best thing for me is to go to different practice greens around the area I live in. There are probably six or seven local courses that all have different grass undulations. That seems to help me.

I get the ball rolling on line, andI can read the greens. I will be spending more time on the practice green, it's my least practiced part of my game. Any specific drills or practice anyone would like to share? I do the clock thing and the gate thing. Is there something better?

I think that's your issue right there. It's the least practiced part of your game. I think the issue is mostly mental. Zero stakes putting on the carpet, doesn't translate well to the actual course. Putting on the carpet is great for grooving your stroke, but it sounds like that isn't the issue. Just spend more time on the practice green. The more comfortable you are, the more second nature it will become.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

With only a 5 month playing season I have no choice putt to practice inside. I'm not taking up basket weaving, or something else similar.

It's hard enough in the fall when course closes. It's like when you were a kid and your parents finally told you Santa wasn't real...

tried a few in the living room. Seems ok! I shoulda know better. I shoot guns open stanced, play the rest of my golf Open, just feels more natural. Thanks! I'll take it to the course for more real testing tomorrow during the snow storm.

Good luck! For me it was all about making it easier to see the line. Looks a little odd looking down at the ball and seeing my feet cocked sideways but I can't argue with how much better I'm putting now.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Speed control might fix a lot. That's my biggest focus - miss high and long, but leave the ball near the hole. Some accidentally fall in, but if not it's a tap-in 2 putt.

Turf time. I'm seriously getting a little angry with old Mother Nature. Rain in the forecast most every day with the sunshine on Saturday and a day or 2 next week. But nothing over 55°, might have to play 36 on Saturday just to get back in it.

Watch some video of Jordan Spieth putting. Simple stroke with a little forward press to initiate the stroke.

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

Update. I added a little more forward press. It's snowing today, so Yeah. Im about to go insane! Living room putting, in still using the Arnie stance, 1-3° open with more forward press. And things are looking good. IF it ever gets nice again!! We are supposed to get 1-3" of snow tonight. I will get over to the green and give it a test.

Update. I went to the practice green for around 45 minutes. Started to get frost bite so I had to leave...

Anyways I am making improvements, made 8/10 from 5', 8/10 from 7', 4/10 from 10', and got some lag putts within a foot from 30-40'

Now, I need weather. Was gonna try and sneak 9 in but Old Man Canada is blowing some ice cold air straight out of the north. Too cold. Much too cold.

Forewarning: I am having my own putting issues and need to make my own improvements and practice more, so take my advice at your own risk.

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not, but i saw someone suggested reading dave stockton's book. Try reading Dave Pelz putting bible. It gets wordy and repetative, but he does outline in a ton of detail a lot of small things surrounding the challenges with putting and the impact your subconscious plays on how you putt. Knowledge is power, and if you are the analytical/scientist type, it can be very helpful. His info about finding your tempo/ rhythm has helped with my distance control and the metronome helps calm me down in pressure situations.

I'm going to assume you putt on the same carpet in the same spot, on the same line, likely parallel to the same wall and probably don't move your target much, because that's how most people practice indoors. When practicing indoors on carpet, you can definitely groove a line (temporary) in the carpet depending on how plush etc. Try vacuuming that area, to bring the fibers up then using something flat to smooth it out again, then move your target to just a slightly different location (ex. 1 foot to either side) and try to putt from the same starting location so you aren't making the exact same putt you've already hit thousands of times especially if it is parallel to a wall in your peripheral vision that basically shows you what is perfectly straight. I had a putting string and target set up in my bedroom for a month or so, I was drilling putts from 9 feet like a machine until stepped on that line while drunk and the line changed and I realized I had basically made a small groove in the carpet that I couldn't even see. Tried putting back the opposite direction and the results were not nearly as good. speed changed, line changed, it was still a 9 foot putt on the same carpet, but it was a VERY different putt. Shows the potential importance of grain flow as well. 

And also consider going lead hand low if you haven't already. It helped me to square up my stance.

If you subscribe to the straight back straight through putting method, consider moving the ball farther forward in your stance as well, that helped me personally with making my aim appear more online and helped me to hit the ball on my upswing which improved the roll. 

Thats a lot, and more than you should change all at once, but hopefully something in the novel I just wrote will help.

Sorry if thats a lot.

Mizuno MP59 - KBS Tour -standard length and Lie (flex, length/lie)

Nike Vapor Fly - 8.5* Stiff

Right Handed

Buffalo Grove

15 HCP

Is there a pattern to the missed putts? Are you not reaching the hole, or pulling/pushing on a regular basis?

I've gotten much better. I had no routine. Practice makes perfect and that Cobra 002 is a shark with a laser beam attached to its frickin head!

Archived